What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vick Indicted ! ? (1 Viewer)

I wonder if owner Blank might not just tell Mike to have a seat for the season. I've read rumblings that he is really PO'd with Vick. They can see what they can get out of Shockley/Harrington/Redman.
For the season? If he lied to Blank like he did to the Commish then he may be droped from the roster. Imagine Blanks wife playing with the family dog..

If Vick is smart he will get on a private jet to Europe and not look back.
:construction: Because everyone knows there is no extradition from "Europe"...
So you're saying every country in Europe has US extradition laws? :headbang:
Countries without treaties nor diplomatic relationsThe countries which have neither diplomatic relations nor extradition treaties with the U.S. are: Bhutan, Iran, North Korea, and the Republic of China (Taiwan) (which the United States does not consider a country under the One-China Policy).So ummmmm, yeah.Edit: This looks like a more complete list Countries which have neither diplomatic relations nor extraditiontreaties with the US are Andorra, Angola, Bantu Homelands, Bhutan,Bosnia, Cambodia, Ciskei, Cuba, Iran, Korea (North), Libya, Maldives,Serbia, Somalia, Taiwan, Transkei, Vanuatu, and Vietnam."So ummmm still yeah.
Still some Euro countries in there so um yeah.Cuba looks to be the best though, lol.
I count one, and it is smaller than most US states. I think Jail would be preferable to any of the countries on that list.

I have to disagree with Dodds and Yudkin on this one. I don't think there's any way Vick is on the field when the season starts. The Commissioner has a lot of latitude in dealing out suspensions, he has repeatedly referred to the image of the game as his overriding principle, and this Vick mess is a major black eye to the league. He simply can't ignore this while waiting for an actual conviction. Remember, due process (innocent until proven guilty) is a legal concept, and the NFL is not bound by the same standards when suspending players.
I would rue the day that the NFL suspends someone for an extended period and then that player be cleared of wrongdoing or found not guilty in court. The lawsuit against them would be HUGE.From what I've been reading, there seem to be some differences in this case compared to other dog fighting cases including federal involvement, the amount of resources being allocated to it, how things have been handled, etc.

Vick's attorneys could very well contend that he is receiving unfair treatment for being a famous athlete if indeed these types of cases typically are handled differently and have led to less severe outcomes.

I clearly am not a lawyer and have no legal credentials, so take everything with a grain of salt.

To also clarify, I am not supporting Vick at all but am only referencing what traditionally has been the wait and see approach that the league has shown in the past. I personally think Vick is not all sweet and innocent, but again it's not my place to try him. I know the new sherriff has said he does not want to wait on outcomes and wants to get involved sooner. We'll have to see what happens, I guess.
Didn't Tank Johnson get cut by the Bears because of his latest DUI incident.....an incident that turned out to not be true? If the NFL doesn't decide to take action...that doesn't stop the Atlanta Falcons from doing the same.

Countries without treaties nor diplomatic relationsThe countries which have neither diplomatic relations nor extradition treaties with the U.S. are: Bhutan, Iran, North Korea, and the Republic of China (Taiwan) (which the United States does not consider a country under the One-China Policy).So ummmmm, yeah.Edit: This looks like a more complete list Countries which have neither diplomatic relations nor extraditiontreaties with the US are Andorra, Angola, Bantu Homelands, Bhutan,Bosnia, Cambodia, Ciskei, Cuba, Iran, Korea (North), Libya, Maldives,Serbia, Somalia, Taiwan, Transkei, Vanuatu, and Vietnam."So ummmm still yeah.
Still some Euro countries in there so um yeah.Cuba looks to be the best though, lol.
I count one, and it is smaller than most US states. I think Jail would be preferable to any of the countries on that list.
Bosnia, Serbia, that's two right there.

I know a little about the powers of pro-animal groups, like PETA etc because I'm a bigtime hunter. Now, the Humane Society is a big organization too ..... and they're putting IMMENSE pressure on this Vick issue.

Vick is going to find it hard to bein the NFL this season IMO

Three as Andorra, Bosnia and Serbia are in Europe. Vietnam is actually a pretty nice country. At any rate, I don't think he will run.

Didn't Tank Johnson get cut by the Bears because of his latest DUI incident.....an incident that turned out to not be true? If the NFL doesn't decide to take action...that doesn't stop the Atlanta Falcons from doing the same.
Tank had previous convictions.THe number of peope here ready to send him to jail or who believe he can/should be suspended based on an indictment is a little surprising to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Three as Andorra, Bosnia and Serbia are in Europe. Vietnam is actually a pretty nice country. At any rate, I don't think he will run.
Ah, forgot about Andorra. I bet that place is nice. Tiny little sucker tucked between France and Spain.Highest life expectancy also.

If you believe this thing is going to get dragged out until after the season, he is going to represent some TREMENDOUS value.
Justice does not move swiftly, especially on a federal level. That should be obvious by the time that passed since the story broke till now. Add a team of high priced lawyers that will delay or drag this out till seasons end, and (if the Falcons allow) Vick could very well play the entire season.

Are you serious? He's done for a year minimum and he just may spend that year incarcerated.
*ROFL* You've already got him in jail?Vick, the extremely rich NFL QB, will be fine.
do not under estimate the Feds and the animal rights people in hths one. I'll take them and public perception over all the cash he has at this point. Vicks career just went up in dog poo. Imiagine what kind of day Goodall is having today becasue of Mike "scumbag" Vick. The NFL took a big hit today becasue of him.

Are you serious? He's done for a year minimum and he just may spend that year incarcerated.
*ROFL* You've already got him in jail?Vick, the extremely rich NFL QB, will be fine.
one more thing..he may be very rich on this day..but his leagl bills when this is all said and done may make him an extremly POOR non NFL QB. Wonder what else he has to fall back on? Maybe he can become a Veteranerian? Vicks is all done..move on

Tank had previous convictions.THe number of peope here ready to send him to jail or who beieve he can/should be suspended based on an indictment is a little surprising to me.
Look... I'm no lawyer. I just pretend to be one at bars and parties to impress people. So don't expect me to go quoting laws and stuff. But anyway, the way I see it ( by the wording in a previous post about Vick's contract) that the Falcons have the right to release or suspend the guy (due his money of course) if they find his actions detrimental to the team. This doesn't matter if he had previous convictions or past accolades for walking old ladies across the street.

I have to disagree with Dodds and Yudkin on this one. I don't think there's any way Vick is on the field when the season starts. The Commissioner has a lot of latitude in dealing out suspensions, he has repeatedly referred to the image of the game as his overriding principle, and this Vick mess is a major black eye to the league. He simply can't ignore this while waiting for an actual conviction. Remember, due process (innocent until proven guilty) is a legal concept, and the NFL is not bound by the same standards when suspending players.
I would rue the day that the NFL suspends someone for an extended period and then that player be cleared of wrongdoing or found not guilty in court. The lawsuit against them would be HUGE.From what I've been reading, there seem to be some differences in this case compared to other dog fighting cases including federal involvement, the amount of resources being allocated to it, how things have been handled, etc.

Vick's attorneys could very well contend that he is receiving unfair treatment for being a famous athlete if indeed these types of cases typically are handled differently and have led to less severe outcomes.

I clearly am not a lawyer and have no legal credentials, so take everything with a grain of salt.

To also clarify, I am not supporting Vick at all but am only referencing what traditionally has been the wait and see approach that the league has shown in the past. I personally think Vick is not all sweet and innocent, but again it's not my place to try him. I know the new sherriff has said he does not want to wait on outcomes and wants to get involved sooner. We'll have to see what happens, I guess.
I think he gets cut. It would be a bad PR move for the Falcons to keep him and with the amount of money they pay him, I think he is out the door. Plus it isn't like he is winning rings.

I guess that settles Yudkin's question of VY vs. Vick.
Nope. At least not IMO. Just because you are indicted does not automatically mean you are convicted.IIRC, the league waits for a player to be tried and convicted or plea bargains before they take disciplinary action. How quickly does the system of jurice prudence work in this country? Didn't Barry Bonds get indicted? Was he suspended? All that would have to happen within 6 months for a suspension to occur for this season (and that would be around the last week or two of the season). Even so, Vick could always appeal through the NFLPA and drag things out.At this point I still don't see Vick in danger of missing time from suspension (unless the Falcons want to try to do something on their own).
Agree 100%. Goodell has to be even handed. And Pacman had not been convicted of anything when the axe got dropped. I'd bet my house he gets 8 games minimum - and it won't be long until this happens. Federal crimes are no joke and not as easy to get indictments as at the state level. Good riddance.

Anyone else think "indicted on conspiracy to transport dogs used in dog-fighting" sounds like the weakest of charges possible? I am also in the camp that I think the Commish waits for a conviction here first before leveling any suspension due to what looks like a pretty weak indictment. My take is this doesn't impact Vick's games played this season.
actually it is not weak at all, the feds are involved because criminal activity took place across state lines, and they have him nailed or they would have released it back to the statevery very strong actuallynow whether that affects Vick this season or goodell backs off since now we are talking a real NFL star (which he would be roasted if he did) ... who knows

Look... I'm no lawyer. I just pretend to be one at bars and parties to impress people. So don't expect me to go quoting laws and stuff. But anyway, the way I see it ( by the wording in a previous post about Vick's contract) that the Falcons have the right to release or suspend the guy (due his money of course) if they find his actions detrimental to the team. This doesn't matter if he had previous convictions or past accolades for walking old ladies across the street.
Not a lawyer, either, but what is the detrimental activity? THey need tp prove he did something, no?

Tank had previous convictions.THe number of peope here ready to send him to jail or who beieve he can/should be suspended based on an indictment is a little surprising to me.
This may be true, the Falcons cutting him and the NFL suspending him are two totally different actions...if I'm not mistaken.

"Interstate" brings in the Feds. There really isn't any way to get around that.

Yes, you're right about Johnson. I guess the Bears were just looking to unload him, since an unsubstantiated charge of DUI is a pretty weak reason for letting a player go. Regarding Vick and the Falcons, this is on AOL Sports

John Clayton just said on ESPNews that the indictment on dog fighting conspiracy charges of Falcons quarterback Michael Vick is the "beginning of the end for Michael Vick in Atlanta."

Not a lawyer, either, but what is the detrimental activity? THey need tp prove he did something, no?
I]f player has engaged in personal conduct reasonably judged by Club to adversely affect or reflect on Club, then Club may terminate this contract." If a contract is terminated under that clause, the player has the right to file a grievance and have an arbitrator decide whether the club acted reasonably.Technically though..they can cut him because they feel his play has gone downhill. It happens all the time.

If I were the Falcons and I wanted to get rid of Vick (which they very well could), I would say that the team has been flooded by season ticket holders and local advertisers saying they will not stand to have a dog murderer as a starting QB and demand that the team take action.

I would think that the Falcons could make a case that Vick be suspended BY THE TEAM without pay until such time that Vick has shown himself to have been not involved in any wrongdoing.

I suspect they have the option of trying to do something, whether they will is another thing. They ALWAYS have the option of cutting him.

A lot will depend if the team wants to keep him and ride it out or if they want to cut ties with him.

If I were the Falcons and I wanted to get rid of Vick (which they very well could), I would say that the team has been flooded by season ticket holders and local advertisers saying they will not stand to have a dog murderer as a starting QB and demand that the team take action.I would think that the Falcons could make a case that Vick be suspended BY THE TEAM without pay until such time that Vick has shown himself to have been not involved in any wrongdoing.I suspect they have the option of trying to do something, whether they will is another thing. They ALWAYS have the option of cutting him.
I don't believe they have liability if they cut him...I do believe they have liability if they suspend him.

Federal indictment is no joking matter ... this is a up to three years in prison/$250k fine per violation kind of thing ...

This is not a local DA charge.

http://www.hsus.org/legislation_laws/feder...law_signed.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Newz_Kenn...g_investigation
:kicksrock: I wasn't clear whether it was a federal or state indictment until I read that. I think I read some very onerous conviction percentage when Jamal Lewis was indicted on federal drug charges... something like they have a conviction rate in the 90%'s on drug violations after a grand jury indicts. Could be they are less successful with other sorts of crimes; I doubt it. The feds have been extremely tight lipped on the evidence they are collecting and that they were able to get an indictment is a bad sign.

If I were the Falcons and I wanted to get rid of Vick (which they very well could), I would say that the team has been flooded by season ticket holders and local advertisers saying they will not stand to have a dog murderer as a starting QB and demand that the team take action.I would think that the Falcons could make a case that Vick be suspended BY THE TEAM without pay until such time that Vick has shown himself to have been not involved in any wrongdoing.I suspect they have the option of trying to do something, whether they will is another thing. They ALWAYS have the option of cutting him.
I don't believe they have liability if they cut him...I do believe they have liability if they suspend him.
Any team can cut a player at any time. The issue is if they want to try to retain his rights and not pay him.

Federal indictment is no joking matter ... this is a up to three years in prison/$250k fine per violation kind of thing ...

This is not a local DA charge.

http://www.hsus.org/legislation_laws/feder...law_signed.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Newz_Kenn...g_investigation
:goodposting: I wasn't clear whether it was a federal or state indictment until I read that. I think I read some very onerous conviction percentage when Jamal Lewis was indicted on federal drug charges... something like they have a conviction rate in the 90%'s on drug violations after a grand jury indicts. Could be they are less successful with other sorts of crimes; I doubt it. The feds have been extremely tight lipped on the evidence they are collecting and that they were able to get an indictment is a bad sign.
Read the indictment! Its very specific and they obviously have a lot of cooperating witnesses ...Specific down to the names of the dogs involved in a lot of the fights and the amount of money at stake ...

Unless something new comes up there shouldn't be a suspension before the trial or a plea bargain. If he was going to be suspended on what's already known they would likely have done so. The actual trial could be well after the season is over. BUT the distractions and reporters asking questions before and after every game should be very distracting for all the team members.

No way I'm drafting him!

I]f player has engaged in personal conduct reasonably judged by Club to adversely affect or reflect on Club, then Club may terminate this contract." If a contract is terminated under that clause, the player has the right to file a grievance and have an arbitrator decide whether the club acted reasonably.Technically though..they can cut him because they feel his play has gone downhill. It happens all the time.
But, what is the personal conduct he engaged in that is adversely affecting or reflecting on the club?

Also let's not forget that Goodell got an irate letter from a representative of Congress who's on the steroids in baseball commision, basically saying if you don't do something we will. More pressure for Goodell to act swiftly.

Blegh. However this turns out, it's awful. That the torture and killings of these dogs happened is not in dispute, and whether it was Vick's ignorance or active participation that allowed it to happen, it looks very bad for him and for the NFL.

I heard Pasquarelli on ESPN Radio blowing off the idea that the Falcons would regret trading Schaub because Harrington's started 60 games. But as the Dolphin fan pointed out earlier, if you've had the misfortune of rooting for him in any of those 60 games, that isn't necessarily a good thing.

My real question is, what would _you_ do if you were the Falcons? If you could cut him without penalty (this is theoretical), would you? And what would you do if you were Goodell?

Any team can cut a player at any time. The issue is if they want to try to retain his rights and not pay him.
Right, that's basically what I was trying to say.

Yudkin is right...the NFL has some liability issues here. Innocent until proven guilty fellas.
Really? They can't suspend until he's proven guilty? The NFL, like all other private or public employers has their own set of rules regarding employment and as long as no federal or state laws are being broken by their enforcement, there is no liability.What happens to cops when they are suspected of crimes? They get suspended.What happens to teachers when they are accused of innapropriate conduct with students? They get suspended.When the convictions come, then they get fired. SUspensions with or without pay I'm sure depend on circumstances and the amount of evidence when allegations are made.Many states are "at will" which means unless you have a contract or agreement that states otherwise, your employer can fire you for parting your hair the wrong way. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. I can't believe how many times I'm hearing "innocent until proven guilty". We're not talking about anyone going to jail and having their freedom taken away. It's a JOB and an employer has the right to maintain the integrity of their business. Would Goddell get to sue Vick for return of his salary and the loss of revenue the NFL would suffer if he let him play and he was later convicted? Do you think there might be some dog lovers or just "family" oriented people who might be turned off by the NFL if they did not take a proactive approach to this?

Also let's not forget that Goodell got an irate letter from a representative of Congress who's on the steroids in baseball commision, basically saying if you don't do something we will. More pressure for Goodell to act swiftly.
Good point. The last thing the league wants is government intervention.Good thing those boys on the hill have solved our other problems so that they have time to meddle in pro sports. :goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread