What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kevin Jones wants to be a Bear (1 Viewer)

jbalicki10

Footballguy
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,2216700.story

Kevin Jones offers his services to Bears

Ex-Lions RB thinks he would help

By Vaughn McClure | Tribune reporter

11:12 PM CDT, June 11, 2008

Shortly after the Detroit Lions released him in March, Kevin Jones made a phone call to Tommie Harris—a former rival on the field but a close friend off it dating back to their high school all-star days.

"He was surprised, just as a lot of people around the league were surprised," Jones, a free-agent running back, said Wednesday night. "I told him I'd love to come out there and that he needed to holler at one of the coaches for me. Tommie said, 'Yeah, I'll talk to them.' "

The Bears might not need Harris' prodding to make a move on Jones. His agent, Blake Baratz, called the Bears shortly after Cedric Benson was arrested for the second time in five weeks. Benson was released Monday, leaving the starting job in the hands of rookie Matt Forte.

Jones might not be bad insurance.

"Chicago would be the perfect situation," Jones said. "I'm familiar with the division. The Bears, they know what I have. I've made plays against them. I made plays against other teams in the league. Chicago would just be perfect. And I hope they know it would be perfect too."

The feedback Jones received through his agent is that the Bears like his ability but are in no rush to make a decision.

Jones, a former first-round pick who rushed for 1,000 yards as a rookie, continues to work out in Saline, Mich., trying to rehab from a torn ACL in his right knee sustained last season. He had a left-foot injury at the end of the 2006 season.

"To me, I'm a franchise player who just had a couple of unfortunate injuries back to back," Jones said. "It's a business. I know there are concerns about my health. But at the same time, I'm on pace to where I need to be to be successful this season."

Jones had planned a private workout for teams later this month, but he's more likely simply to send interested teams a highlight of his personal workout. You can bet the Bears will be on the mailing list.

"My career ain't over," Jones said. "And when I get on the field, I will prove it."

No big deal

Brian Urlacher's presence at organized team activities Wednesday fueled speculation that a contract resolution with the Bears is near. Not so.

No new financial terms have been discussed, although Urlacher's cameo appearance Wednesday—his first at a voluntary practice this off-season—could change the status of the talks by week's end.

Lance Briggs was absent from Wednesday's OTAs for undisclosed reasons.

Extra points

Running back Adrian Peterson had an appendectomy and was not at practice. He isn't expected to be out long. … The Bears announced that individual-game tickets will go on sale through Ticketmaster at noon July 12. Tickets are priced from $68 to $350. There's a four-ticket limit for regular-season games and no limit for exhibitions.

How many players on how many teams were called? He will eventually wind up somewhere, but its been a much slower process than predicted by many when he was released.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,2216700.story

"My career ain't over," Jones said. "And when I get on the field, I will prove it."
I would imagine Kevin Jones wants to be paid, whether it is by the Bears, Patriots, or any other NFL team.The quote above sounds very similar to a quote Daunte Culpepper made two years ago when starting with the Dolphins. He basically said that he was looking forward to a new chapter and such. I hope Jones has better luck at this.

How many players on how many teams were called? He will eventually wind up somewhere, but its been a much slower process than predicted by many when he was released.
Why sign an injury risk when you can wait and see? If he's healthy and cutting well in August he will garner a lot more attention.

moderated said:
Good god this guy is getting desperate.
:goodposting: If he really wants to play for the Bears let's see if he'd be willing to take the veteran minimum. He ran around on a golf course and now wants a bunch of money. Good luck with that.

Beantown said:
sholditch said:
rzrback77 said:
Why sign an injury risk when you can wait and see? If he's healthy and cutting well in August he will garner a lot more attention.
because he will be on someone elses roster by then.
Which obviously teams in the NFL don't care about.This guy isn't in much if any demand. Gimpy RB's who average less then 4 YPC aren't a hot commodity in the NFL, go figure.

Beantown said:
sholditch said:
rzrback77 said:
because he will be on someone elses roster by then.
Which obviously teams in the NFL don't care about.This guy isn't in much if any demand. Gimpy RB's who average less then 4 YPC aren't a hot commodity in the NFL, go figure.
concur.This guy is offering his services ?Seems like there aren't too many. in line who want his services.Dude has been a free agent for quite a while.toast.

Users who are viewing this thread