What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Chris Johnson Hype machine (2 Viewers)

Fear & Loathing said:
Michael Fox said:
albuddah said:
so is there a new CJ3 to be found this year?
Yes, his name is Percy Harvin.
:thumbup: If Harvin gets into camp and keeps turning heads (as I fully expect), there's a hype-train article coming right around the corner.
FNL, I've enjoyed your postings and rantings on Chris Johnson and the insight you have provided concerning him. I'm fully on board the train again this year.That being said, what are your thoughts on the hype-train that is supposedly going to surround Harvin? Does it matter who the QB is in Minny? Personnaly, I'd prefer Rosenfels to land the starting gig, but Jackson could also get the nod. Would it really matter with regards to Harvin? Does Favre not coming to town paly a role in Harvin's hype, negatively or positively? Why is Harvin the rookie WR to get this year? Does Robiskie come close to Harvin's potential? I like both of them equally and it's unlikely I will be able to get Harvin unless I move up in my draft so I am considering Robiskie as an alternative. I usually try to grab one rookie WR each year in the draft and then pick up another on the wire.This set of questions are probably best suited for the Harvin hype-train thread. Are you going to start that thread if there is none currently? (Just checked and there does not seem to be one for Harvin yet.)Rody

Fear & Loathing said:
Michael Fox said:
albuddah said:
so is there a new CJ3 to be found this year?
Yes, his name is Percy Harvin.
:thumbup: If Harvin gets into camp and keeps turning heads (as I fully expect), there's a hype-train article coming right around the corner.
FNL, I've enjoyed your postings and rantings on Chris Johnson and the insight you have provided concerning him. I'm fully on board the train again this year.That being said, what are your thoughts on the hype-train that is supposedly going to surround Harvin? Does it matter who the QB is in Minny? Personnaly, I'd prefer Rosenfels to land the starting gig, but Jackson could also get the nod. Would it really matter with regards to Harvin? Does Favre not coming to town paly a role in Harvin's hype, negatively or positively? Why is Harvin the rookie WR to get this year? Does Robiskie come close to Harvin's potential? I like both of them equally and it's unlikely I will be able to get Harvin unless I move up in my draft so I am considering Robiskie as an alternative. I usually try to grab one rookie WR each year in the draft and then pick up another on the wire.

This set of questions are probably best suited for the Harvin hype-train thread. Are you going to start that thread if there is none currently? (Just checked and there does not seem to be one for Harvin yet.)

Rody
There's some good Harvin talk on the last 2 pages of the Dynasty Rankings thread. I've also hit on Robiskie and the reasons why I would never consider taking him over Harvin.I've held back on my reasoning for the early Harvin love so far because I've been counting on using all of it in the inevitable hype-train article. But the kernel of it is this: he's the most obvious difference-making/playmaking talent coming into the league, and he's a unique talent. There's also a pick-your-poison factor with Adrian Peterson and the fact that Harvin was made for an astroturf/dome stadium.

Re: the Vikes QBs. As a Harvin booster, I would have preferred Favre but Rosenfels would be an acceptable substitute b/c he can make plays down the field. T-Jax would be worst-case scenario IMO.

I've held back on my reasoning for the early Harvin love so far because I've been counting on using all of it in the inevitable hype-train article. But the kernel of it is this: he's the most obvious difference-making/playmaking talent coming into the league, and he's a unique talent. There's also a pick-your-poison factor with Adrian Peterson and the fact that Harvin was made for an astroturf/dome stadium.

Re: the Vikes QBs. As a Harvin booster, I would have preferred Favre but Rosenfels would be an acceptable substitute b/c he can make plays down the field. T-Jax would be worst-case scenario IMO.
this is the wrong thread for this, but you've hit on why I like Harvin and Jared Cook more than most.

He has intoxicating speed.
I can vouch for this. I've replaced drinking with watching CJ run and get a similar buzz.I agree with those expecting 2k+ all purpose yards this season. The guy has 0 competition for carries and has potential to average 6+ yards a carry.325 carries/2031 yards rushing/14 TDs, not to mention what he's gonna throw up receiving.BMI be damned, Barry Sanders part deux with receiving ability.4.24, there aren't any defenders in the NFL who will be able to catch him. Were looking at a once in a lifetime talent.
Chris Johnson has turned sarcastic hyperbole into precise prognostication.

I can vouch for this. I've replaced drinking with watching CJ run and get a similar buzz.I agree with those expecting 2k+ all purpose yards this season. The guy has 0 competition for carries and has potential to average 6+ yards a carry.325 carries/2031 yards rushing/14 TDs, not to mention what he's gonna throw up receiving.BMI be damned, Barry Sanders part deux with receiving ability.4.24, there aren't any defenders in the NFL who will be able to catch him. Were looking at a once in a lifetime talent.
Amazingly precise, in fact.Joker sarcastically predicted 325/2031/14 (6.24 YPC)CJ actually put up 358 /2006/14 (5.6 YPC) (adding 50/503/2 receiving)

Amazingly precise, in fact.Joker sarcastically predicted 325/2031/14 (6.24 YPC)CJ actually put up 358 /2006/14 (5.6 YPC) (adding 50/503/2 receiving)
Too bad he was one year too early with that prediction.

Poker, who di dyou predict to have a ridiculous this season? I want to make sure I get them for next year... :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is that too bad?Chris Johnson has delivered for the believers for two straight seasons.Or perhaps you're a bitter Slaton or Forte backer?
It's too bad because corpcow said that FBGPoker's prediction was so precise. It's too bad for FBGPoker that his prediction for 2008 didn't come true until 2009. It didn't matter to me one way or the other, and I didn't have Slaton or Forte in any of my leagues, thanks for trying though.

Chris Johnson is going to have the same impact on the Titans that Warrick Dunn did with the Michael Vick Falcons.By putting speed in the backfield with Young, you are stretching the field with your running game. LBs must now pay attention to CJ and VY. Lendale didn't give them that ability. It will certainly be interesting to see how the Titans offense looks this season. I picked up CJ in the 8th round of my draft, hopefully it pays off.
:lmao:

Get him in your lineups this week, fellas.

Over the past 4 weeks, he’s been in an almost even timeshare with Ivory. His yards and YPC are good over the last two outings. He is returning to Tennessee, the team that moved on from him and is getting absolutely GASHED on the ground this season. Andre the plodder Williams just looked like Bo Jackson against the lifeless Titans, who have mailed it in for the season.

I’m calling 15/112/1 rushing and 4/39 receiving.

I’m starting him as my RB2 over Jeremy Hill.

Choo choo!

Over the past 4 weeks, he’s been in an almost even timeshare with Ivory. His yards and YPC are good over the last two outings. He is returning to Tennessee, the team that moved on from him and is getting absolutely GASHED on the ground this season. Andre the plodder Williams just looked like Bo Jackson against the lifeless Titans, who have mailed it in for the season.

Choo choo!
Giving serious thought to starting him in Daily this week. He's looked real good for over a month now and he looks to be locked into 15-20 touches a game. And like you said Tennessee's run defense is horrible. Matchup looks great for both Johnson and Ivory this week.

Choo choo!
Giving serious thought to starting him in Daily this week. He's looked real good for over a month now and he looks to be locked into 15-20 touches a game. And like you said Tennessee's run defense is horrible. Matchup looks great for both Johnson and Ivory this week.
Ivory and Johnson could be a winning combo in a Daily. I bet Geno attempts less than 10 passes this week.

Rotoworld:

Chris Johnson - RB - Jets

Over the last four games, Chris Johnson has played 130 snaps and Chris Ivory has played 133.

The touch count has been nearly even as well, with Ivory at 57 and Johnson at 53. We wouldn't expect anything different in Sunday's Toilet Bowl at Tennessee even though it's a "revenge game" for CJ?K. The only difference this week is that the Jets' running game has a bit of upside because the Titans' run defense is among the worst in the league by most metrics. We'd still prefer to start Ivory as the flat-out better running back and the one more likely to score a touchdown.

Related: Chris Ivory

Source: ESPN New York

Dec 9 - 9:24 AM

Most weeks he does nothing for the Jets. Hard to predict, to say the least.

The Titans have some DL and Williamson who seem to do OK with the non-elite grind it out backs. I would guess this is bad for Ivory, good for CJ.

Some of their bad run D is with 5 or 6 DBs in because they can't stop a pass. Michael Griffin is still there and an outstanding safety. Geno can throw all day, just don't go deep unless Griffin is doubling on the other side of the field. I feel safer predicting this is Geno's best game, than either RB doing well. One will probably, but so hard to predict.

Best guess might even be that all their yardage stats stink because Locker keeps turning it over on their side of the field. Geno 5 passing TDs and only 100 yards passing on the day seems oddly likely.

Jets D is best start in this game

the revenge factor should play a role this week vs Tennessee, how many more points that means is anyone's guess but I am sure that johnson has been eyeing week 15 for a while now.

I remember when people used to argue about who was better between CJ and AP...man, CJ fell off fast. If AP doesn't beat his kid he's probably still killing it this year.

The Jets haven't used him correctly. We all knew he'd have a dozen carries where he looked like he ran into a wall but that he might be gone to the races on the 13th. Most weeks, they don't give him the chances.

It seemed they'd throw him screens and line him out wide, then they got Percy so that was done. I'll tell ya, he's better than most of their WRs.

The Jets just haven't had that "we gotta get the ball in our playmakers hands" philosophy that NFL teams do.

I did think he lost a step, then in the recent game where he did well, he didn't look like he lost a step so I'm not sure. When he does, have always said this, he is done. He is not anywhere near a good enough runner to be that old guy that still finds a way-so much of his game is speed.

there's no better time than this week for them to at least attempt to use him correctly. harvin is out, they got nothing to really play for, two horrible teams. give the man 20 carries vs the team that he despises.

“They were just being nasty. I love Tennessee and I love my fans and all that, but I think at the end of the day, they did me wrong," Johnson said.

The Jets haven't used him correctly.
No kidding. Before last week his YPC average was his highest since his 2,000-yard season in 2009. Even now it's the third best of his career. He's actually ran very well for the past five games or so. But why they're not using him more in the passing game is baffling. They are extremely limited offensively and in the passing game in particular and Johnson is still good in space. So why not get him 3-4 passes a game and see if that can jump start the offense? Instead, they pound him between the tackles and get frustrated that he's not Chris Ivory on those plays. It's really made no sense at all how they've used him this season.

I could see Rex giving Johnson more work this week due to the "revenge" factor. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get the shot at any possible TDs if the Jets inside the 5. The Jets have nothing to play for and Rex is regarded as a player's coach. This would be one way to prove it.

Rolling with him as my flex/RB3.

Love the match up, love how he has looked his last few games. He may have a mother of a game this week vs his former team. We could get a classic Chris Johnson performance. One more for us baby...come on!

:thumbup:

for this reason, plus TENN's bottom-ranked rush def, plus NYJ offensive game plan to run, run, run, run, and then run, and maybe pass, i picked up CJ2K.

i can see him and Ivory splitting carries (they have for the past couple of weeks) and each get close to 20. CJ is still a threat in the open field so hopefully 2-4 receptions. given that this is his former team, i can alse see Ryan giving CJ2K the ball at the goalline to show TENN what the threw away. plus the game will be in front of his former fans...more incentive...

for this reason, plus TENN's bottom-ranked rush def, plus NYJ offensive game plan to run, run, run, run, and then run, and maybe pass, i picked up CJ2K.

i can see him and Ivory splitting carries (they have for the past couple of weeks) and each get close to 20. CJ is still a threat in the open field so hopefully 2-4 receptions. given that this is his former team, i can alse see Ryan giving CJ2K the ball at the goalline to show TENN what the threw away. plus the game will be in front of his former fans...more incentive...
Normally I'd give Ivory the higher TD potential but not this week for that very reason. If the Jets get inside the 5 I would think Ryan would make a point to give Johnson every opportunity to score.

Normally I'd give Ivory the higher TD potential but not this week for that very reason. If the Jets get inside the 5 I would think Ryan would make a point to give Johnson every opportunity to score.
I don't usually play into the revenge factor games, because most of the time the hype is more than the results. It's still Chris Johnson we're talking about here and the last time I checked he still only has 1 TD. Are you going to hang your fantasy playoff hat on that? Not me!!

I'm not big on the whole revenge thing either but the Jets have nothing to play for, Rex could be on his way out and Johnson is facing his former team. I would be shocked if Rex didn't give Johnson every opportunity to score if the Jets get inside the 5 on Sunday.

But I'm not basing my belief in Johnson this week just on that. It's also based on the following factors:

1. He's looked good the last 5 weeks or so

2. He's getting volume

3. The matchup is sensational

Put all of that together and I think Johnson is a strong upside play this week.

Rotoworld:

Jets RB Chris Johnson was arrested for open carrying of a weapon in Orange County, Florida on Friday night.

The offense is just a second-degree misdemeanor, but won't help Johnson's chances of sticking with the Jets in 2015. Johnson's 4.3 YPC average in 2014 looks good on paper, but that number was buoyed by a couple long runs. If he sticks around with New York, Johnson will be a role player at best. The Jets could save $3.75 million against the 2015 cap by cutting Johnson.

Source: Erika Esola on Twitter

Jan 10 - 1:27 PM

Rotoworld:

Chris Johnson possessed two handguns in his vehicle on Friday night when he was arrested.

Per the New York Post, Johnson initially lied to the arresting officer. The officer asked Johnson if there were other weapons in the car, and Johnson said, "No, that is the only one." Johnson rushed for 663 yards and one touchdown in 2014. If the Jets were to cut him, they would save $3.75 million against their cap.

Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter
Jan 12 - 2:04 PM

Horrible use of his talents this year.

I don't know how many years he has left with that top speed, but if it's there, maybe a new coach will utilize it well.

He and Percy could make any offense one to fear if they could both be used well.

Horrible use of his talents this year.

I don't know how many years he has left with that top speed, but if it's there, maybe a new coach will utilize it well.

He and Percy could make any offense one to fear if they could both be used well.
I don't know...he had his opportunity this year and only showed up in a few games. Too unreliable at this point and seems to mail it in too often.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini says the Jets will probably cut Chris Johnson before his option bonus is due Feb. 16.

The Jets can save $3.5M against the cap by dumping Johnson. It should be a no-brainer to move on from a part-time speed back, one that will turn 30 in September, is behind Chris Ivory on the depth chart and carries some off-field headaches. If Johnson is indeed cut, he will find a very cold market and would have to settle for a role-player salary in order to stay in the league. The artist formerly known as CJ2K produced a 155-663-1 line in his first year as a Jet.

Related: Chris Ivory

Source: ESPN New York
Feb 5 - 11:13 AM

3.5 mil isn't expensive for a RB. I don't think this is about money just not a good fit and if they're going to play Percy at RB at all, they simply don't need him.

New team has to accept that CJ runs into a pile and does nothing several times before he turns on the Jets and impresses. He's done this his whole career.

It's as frustrating as could be like wow he sure hit that pile and hit the ground fast, but when he's off to the races....

I suppose if no team wants to have faith in him like that (which I could understand) then maybe they break out a classic 3rd down back role and play him like that. At least then you're getting him in space and ...could work. If he's not the feature back, then there is zero reason he shouldn't be the kick returner too. That speed and vision on kick returns probably could solidify a bad unit for some teams.

Good fit for the saints if they can't get vereen. I'd gladly take him in the patriots, too. Veteran rb, knows all the augments and pass routes, wants to extend his career and win a title, still averaging in the 4.2 range, with a clear rule.

Rotoworld:

Chris Johnson - RB - Free Agent

Jets declined RB Chris Johnson's $500,000 option bonus, making him an unrestricted free agent on March 10.

The move saves New York $3.5 million in salary cap space. Although Johnson's 2014 YPC average of 4.28 doesn't look terrible on a sheet of paper, his performance has been for the better part of a half-decade. He is a boom-or-bust runner with an evaporating number of "boom" runs, and consistently plays the game at less than max effort in all phases. Johnson is also an ineffective pass catcher and atrocious pass blocker. Now going on age 30, it wouldn't be surprising to see Johnson fall out of the league entirely.

Related: Jets

Feb 14 - 2:41 PM

Rotoworld:

A BaltimoreRavens.com report suggests the team could be interested in free agent RB Chris Johnson if they can't re-sign free agent Justin Forsett.

For the first time in his career, Johnson failed to reach 1,000 yards rushing in 2014. With almost 2,000 carries under his belt, the finish line isn't too far away for CJ2K, who turns 30 in September. But Forsett is just as old, and had never run for 1,000 yards in a season until 2014. Johnson is far from an ideal Plan B, but the Ravens need to have options in case Forsett slips through the cracks.

Related: Ravens

Source: BaltimoreRavens.com

Feb 16 - 4:09 PM

Users who are viewing this thread