What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do You Facebook? (1 Viewer)

I don't have an answer to the previous post but I found out what a good friend of mine did today. He somehow blocked me from seeing his posts but didn't unfriend me. This guy is just constantly bombarding everyone with political stuff but he will sprinkle in some stuff about his family or sports once in a while. A few days ago I responded to one of his posts. Nothing mean, just a subtle hint of how he's a bit hypocritical. I just noticed in the past few days I've seen nothing from him so I went to his page and voilla, a few days worth of his political ramblings. I can only assume he wants people who agree with to read his stuff.
I could be wrong, but I don't think it works like that.
There is a setting that you can use to prevent people from seeing what you post without actually unfriending them. I stumbled on it when I was trying to figure out how to block individual pages.
Right, but those blocked people can't see the posts on your page.

Actual post by someone that was in my friend list until I saw this post (Shes my best childhood friends sister, who I also went to grade school with):

So happy for Kim and Kanye! I think I will go out and celebrate tonight!!!

I could not fins the 'delete' button fast enough. Before this, I had never seen her post an offensive update.

Actual post by someone that was in my friend list until I saw this post (Shes my best childhood friends sister, who I also went to grade school with):So happy for Kim and Kanye! I think I will go out and celebrate tonight!!!I could not fins the 'delete' button fast enough. Before this, I had never seen her post an offensive update.
If I had anyone post this, it'd probably be extremely sarcastic. You did the right move though. You didn't go far enough though. They need to be sterilized. All of them who keep these useless people "trending". My friend post annoyance is my old pill popping/pot smoking skater buddy who is now reborn and posts videos, scriptures and personal stories of healing people at Hometown Buffet. Sadly, it's not sarcasm when he does this. Can't unfriendly him, but it gets scarier and scarier, especially when he talks about his family going away soon because of the Rapture. Come to think of it, I wish he posted stuff about Kim and Kanye...

It's almost unbearable to sign on. Nothing but political, religious, and gun rights grandstanding. And many of these folks I like/love//care about. Why can't we just have fun stuff like George Takei updates? May pull the plug soon. Though I learned Tom Waits will be on the Simpsons this week, is it worth it?

Not liking it when one of your friends "likes" a page and that page posts in your newsfeed.Today my wife's gay cousin liked a page that apparently has a $5 special on video streaming. bears. so I got to see 2 bears this morning.

I created a secondary account with an email with zero contacts and somehow Facebook associated all kinds of people with me as recommended friends who I am acquainted with but not friends with. Kind of scary. I have no idea how they know that I know the people.

I had a dream about an old girlfriend last night so I spent most of the morning tracking her down electronically, only to discover that she is living and working only an hour away from me (this was unexpected). With this data already in hand, should I set up a Facebook account and initiate a conversation with her or should I just drive past her home and workplace three or four hundred times? tia

I had a dream about an old girlfriend last night so I spent most of the morning tracking her down electronically, only to discover that she is living and working only an hour away from me (this was unexpected). With this data already in hand, should I set up a Facebook account and initiate a conversation with her or should I just drive past her home and workplace three or four hundred times? tia
Sounds to me like she wants you. Id just show up in a robe with a bottle of wine.

Sounds to me like she wants you. Id just show up in a robe with a bottle of wine.
This sounds like really solid advice but I am genuinely curious here. I've been married a long time and would like to stay that way. She's been married even longer (we're both pretty old by FBG standards). If I get a Facebook account and look her up, in whatever manner one does these sort of things, will anybody else know about the contact? What if I find out that she's among the people (could be one, could be 20 :shrug: ) who have inquired about me in the past few years? Will my wife be able to see who's been looking for me? Do I need to read all 47 freaking pages of this thread to get answers or should I just break down and register?It was a disturbing dream. I haven't seen this gal in more years than a lot of you have been alive.

My niece has a novel being released today. Yippee. Self-published another one a few years back, got a small advance this time around. Small publishing house, but whatever, it's on Amazon & B&N et al.

The number of posts from her, her mom, my sisters, their friends...completely insufferable. I keep wanting to comment "Act like you've been there before", but they haven't.

Oh, and Book Bomb needs to go on the phrases that need to be retired list.

It's almost unbearable to sign on. Nothing but political, religious, and gun rights grandstanding. And many of these folks I like/love//care about. Why can't we just have fun stuff like George Takei updates? May pull the plug soon. Though I learned Tom Waits will be on the Simpsons this week, is it worth it?
Probably not.The real irony about complaining about Fcebook content is, well, YOU created the content, didn't you? You friended/accepted these people. These are the people in your life, if Facebook is boring/tired, well...........

Probably not.The real irony about complaining about Fcebook content is, well, YOU created the content, didn't you? You friended/accepted these people. These are the people in your life, if Facebook is boring/tired, well...........
"Hide" is your friend. There are people I added just as to not hurt their feelings. But I put them on hide almost instantly.

"Hide" is your friend. There are people I added just as to not hurt their feelings. But I put them on hide almost instantly.
Yep, I have a few crazy aunts, and I really don't need to know their opinion on illegal immigration.

Yep, I have a few crazy aunts, and I really don't need to know their opinion on illegal immigration.
Funny thing is, even my Kentucky relatives rarely post something offensive. Most of the time, my friends' greatest crimes are to post the most boring #### on earth.

Funny thing is, even my Kentucky relatives rarely post something offensive. Most of the time, my friends' greatest crimes are to post the most boring #### on earth.
That is so freakin true

I think I've had my Facebook account long enough and might deactivate it tonight.
keep us updated
On Facebook.
Seriously, 24 hours is enough. I can't handle it.
If you deactivate/delete, but then log back in after a couple days, it revives. Let it die.
See, I have no idea what you're saying.
http://deletefacebook.com/If you log in during the first 14 days after you delete your account, it cancels the cancellation and the account will remain active.

Gotcha!

I think I've had my Facebook account long enough and might deactivate it tonight.
keep us updated
On Facebook.
If you deactivate/delete, but then log back in after a couple days, it revives. Let it die.
http://deletefacebook.com/If you log in during the first 14 days after you delete your account, it cancels the cancellation and the account will remain active.

Gotcha!
Isn't that a little counterintuitive? How are you supposed to know that?

keep us updated
On Facebook.

Gotcha!
Isn't that a little counterintuitive? How are you supposed to know that?
:yes: They don't say that anywhere on the FB website.

My son found this out the hard way. Deleted his account 2 or 3 times before he stumbled onto what he did wrong.

'jdoggydogg said:
'roadkill1292 said:
My neighbor did something smart: he regrets adding several people. So he shut down his account, and when he reopens it, he's only going to re-add a select few people.
I guess I also didn't know that the interaction was going to be so instantaneous and kind of in your face. I just wanted to do some discreet and polite istalking, I didn't really want to interact with people. Well, I do but I don't want to work as hard as I'm gonna have to to be able to do it.

Been on for almost two weeks now. What's with all these people posting crap to my page? If this is 21st century "connecting," then it's way overrated.

'roadkill1292 said:
'TxBuckeye said:
'roadkill1292 said:
Been on for almost two weeks now. What's with all these people posting crap to my page? If this is 21st century "connecting," then it's way overrated.
Isn't that pretty much the point of FaceBook? :confused:
I was misled. Well, that and I wanted to find somebody from long ago. Found her last week, time to move on. I can stalk her non-electronically should I choose to do so.
Should we be waiting for a Friday thread about this? AZ Ron's thread has tapered off so we need something like this...

'roadkill1292 said:
'TxBuckeye said:
'roadkill1292 said:
I was misled. Well, that and I wanted to find somebody from long ago. Found her last week, time to move on. I can stalk her non-electronically should I choose to do so.
Bringin' it old school! I like it!!!p.s. Who misled you? When everyone asks me why I don't do FB, the reason you mentioned above is indeed my answer. Well, that and I don't have any desire to "find" people I haven't cared about in 25 years.

'roadkill1292 said:
'TxBuckeye said:
'roadkill1292 said:
Bringin' it old school! I like it!!!p.s. Who misled you? When everyone asks me why I don't do FB, the reason you mentioned above is indeed my answer. Well, that and I don't have any desire to "find" people I haven't cared about in 25 years.
Mark Zuckerberg. Let's find him and beat the #### out of him.

Reason number 10,982 why I don't have a Facebook account....my mom just wrote a nice note casually taking some swipes at members of both my family and my wife's family and posted it to my wife's wall, where it stayed for 30 minutes before my wife's niece texted her about it and my wife immediately took it down. :mellow:

100% chance this was seen by the people she was talking about or reached them quickly.

Reason number 10,982 why I don't have a Facebook account....my mom just wrote a nice note casually taking some swipes at members of both my family and my wife's family and posted it to my wife's wall, where it stayed for 30 minutes before my wife's niece texted her about it and my wife immediately took it down. :mellow:

100% chance this was seen by the people she was talking about or reached them quickly.
That's not a Facebook problem, that's a "humans aren't always very considerate" problem.These things get said with or without Facebook.

That's not a Facebook problem, that's a "humans aren't always very considerate" problem.These things get said with or without Facebook.
Yeah, but they don't always get heard without it...

Yes, my mom has been a bit of a slow learner about the differences between Write Post/Message... no major gaffes yet but the inevitable faux pas is coming...it's coming... :mellow:

Actually there have been a multitude of studies

There have been a multitude of studies out that would disagree. One was on CCN's front page just recently. I won't say things would never get said without the internet. But it's been proven in many studies that people will post things that they would never, ever have the nerve to say face to face to the persons in question.

There have been a multitude of studies out that would disagree. One was on CCN's front page just recently. I won't say things would never get said without the internet. But it's been proven in many studies that people will post things that they would never, ever have the nerve to say face to face to the persons in question.
So Facebook does enhance communication after all.

Absolutely.

Users who are viewing this thread