What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do You Facebook? (3 Viewers)

I had my own little witness protection program going for almost 30 years, until facebook blew my cover. Now every person I went to high school with wants to be friends. Someone figured out I was on facebook and I've had over 80 friend requests this week.

Maybe it's just me, but if you live in the same city as someone and you send a friend request, isn't that kind of a snub? We've been in the same city for 30 years, my name and address is in the phone book. You could have called, or sent a letter?

And why call it a facebook "friend", it seems like the main reason people are ok with being friends on facebook, is because they can keep the other person at arms length. Choosing when they want to interact with the other person.

Time to shut down my account and go back into hiding.

/rant

I had my own little witness protection program going for almost 30 years, until facebook blew my cover. Now every person I went to high school with wants to be friends. Someone figured out I was on facebook and I've had over 80 friend requests this week.

Maybe it's just me, but if you live in the same city as someone and you send a friend request, isn't that kind of a snub? We've been in the same city for 30 years, my name and address is in the phone book. You could have called, or sent a letter?

And why call it a facebook "friend", it seems like the main reason people are ok with being friends on facebook, is because they can keep the other person at arms length. Choosing when they want to interact with the other person.

/rant
I got a lot or requests from people I hadn't seen in 30 years when I joined a few months back. I simply ignore them. I limit it to immediately family only. That's never going to change. I've seen my wife's page and the comments would make me want to kick a puppy.

TxBuckeye said:
KCitons said:

/rant
I got a lot or requests from people I hadn't seen in 30 years when I joined a few months back. I simply ignore them. I limit it to immediately family only. That's never going to change. I've seen my wife's page and the comments would make me want to kick a puppy.
I looked at a few of the people that request. A couple have over 1000 friends. I hate looking at the crap my family posts, I can't imagine how bad it would be with a thousand strangers commenting on everything that happens to them.

Come to think of it, that kind of sounds like the FFA.

Wtf is this ice bucket challenge
You accept the challenge and donate $10 to ALS research. If you don't, then you donate $100.

The challenge consists of taking a bag of ice and putting it into a bucket of water and have it dumped over you.

The two best that I have seen have been from the Stanley Cup and a large guy doing a Flashdance reenactment.

I have to do mine in a couple of hours. Do you want me to nominate you?

You accept the challenge and donate $10 to ALS research. If you don't, then you donate $100.

The challenge consists of taking a bag of ice and putting it into a bucket of water and have it dumped over you.

The two best that I have seen have been from the Stanley Cup and a large guy doing a Flashdance reenactment.

please. stop. the. madness.

Considering if I want anything to do with facebook after what I've heard their new Messenger app requires. Is that legit, that it could actually limit your mobile connection/camera?

Considering if I want anything to do with facebook after what I've heard their new Messenger app requires. Is that legit, that it could actually limit your mobile connection/camera?
I really don't like that thing is forced on me now, I was fine without it. Plus you can't log out of it on your phone without jumping through 10,000 loops. It should at least log you out when you log out of facebook.

No.
:goodposting: http://www.snopes.com/computer/facebook/messenger.asp

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/BL-DGB-36990

Pretty standard TOS for any app that you use to make phone calls, send messages and/or pics, etc. It NEEDS those permissions to execute those actions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, thanks for the heads up. I typically just trust my new technological overlords, but when people younger than me start to get uppity over TOS, I take a bit more notice.

Starting to see more anti-ice bucket challenge articles being posted. I think we're starting to turn the tide. (I hope.)

Starting to see more anti-ice bucket challenge articles being posted. I think we're starting to turn the tide. (I hope.)
Turning the tide in favor of ALS?

Turning the tide in favor of ALS?
that damn lou gherig and his friggin disease

Shouldn't people decline the challenge? If you do the challenge you owe $10. But if you decline, you owe $100, right? So every time I see a celebrity pour ice water on their head I think, cheapskate.

Shouldn't people decline the challenge? If you do the challenge you owe $10. But if you decline, you owe $100, right? So every time I see a celebrity pour ice water on their head I think, cheapskate.
if you decline it you dont nominate anyone and its not paid forward. Think what happens if the first guy nominated donated 100 bucks. You would have never heard of this.

Yep, people are choosing to pour a bucket of ice water over their head rather than donate to charity, and are proud of this. America!

Yep, people are choosing to pour a bucket of ice water over their head rather than donate to charity, and are proud of this. America!
Yeah you might wanna rethink that

As of August 12, 2014, the campaign has raised more than $2.3 million dollars for the ALS Association since July 29, 2014.[5] The Washington Post reported that by early August, donations for the ALS Foundation were up 50 percent over the previous year.

As of August 12, 2014, the campaign has raised more than $2.3 million dollars for the ALS Association since July 29, 2014.[5] The Washington Post reported that by early August, donations for the ALS Foundation were up 50 percent over the previous year.
[dirty dancing] "When I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong" [/dirty dancing]

Pretty amazing difference. I *guess* it's worth having every middle age white woman in my facebook post videos of herself getting water dumped on her. But really just barely:

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/viral/cold-cash-ice-bucket-challenge-has-now-raised-15-6-n183016?cid=sm_n_main_1_20140818_29968376

The viral campaign that has taken over social networks and become a favorite of athletes, celebrities and more is actually helping. The "Ice Bucket Challenge," designed to raise awareness for Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease, has now raised over $15.6 million from July 29 through August 18, the ALS Association tells NBC News in a written statement. That's compared to just $1.8 million in that same period in 2013. The ALS Association also says that the donations have come from existing donors and from 307,598 new donors. So yes, despite all the ice being poured on heads, people are also donating.

Pretty amazing difference. I *guess* it's worth having every middle age white woman in my facebook post videos of herself getting water dumped on her. But really just barely:

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/viral/cold-cash-ice-bucket-challenge-has-now-raised-15-6-n183016?cid=sm_n_main_1_20140818_29968376

The viral campaign that has taken over social networks and become a favorite of athletes, celebrities and more is actually helping. The "Ice Bucket Challenge," designed to raise awareness for Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease, has now raised over $15.6 million from July 29 through August 18, the ALS Association tells NBC News in a written statement. That's compared to just $1.8 million in that same period in 2013. The ALS Association also says that the donations have come from existing donors and from 307,598 new donors. So yes, despite all the ice being poured on heads, people are also donating.
I just want to be clear, my post was meant as a tongue in cheek joke. Although, I have heard some actual rumblings about people out in California doing this, when there is a major drought.

Yeah, I can't argue with the results. I have no idea how or why it is working, but it definitely is.

I did the challenge and still donated the $100. Nothing requires you to only donate $10.
I have to approve anything that goes on my timeline. I just dont approve it, its like i never saw it lol

How can anyone verify that anyone is paying? I think its a bunch of B.S, i bet nobody is paying.....

How can anyone verify that anyone is paying? I think its a bunch of B.S, i bet nobody is paying.....
Except that the ALS folks say that they have pulled in $15M as part of this when they normally get less than $2M for the same period. My guess is that at least some folks are ponying up.

Except that the ALS folks say that they have pulled in $15M as part of this when they normally get less than $2M for the same period. My guess is that at least some folks are ponying up.
nah the ALS folks are in on the scheme

I got nominated, and in lieu of donating to ALS want to donate to the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation instead with my $100, as my mom has Type 1 diabetes.

Can I do that?

I feel like my joke got way out of hand here. :mellow:

By the way, everyone who I've seen do the ALS I've now been asking them if they thought about doing the Kicked in the Nuts for Prostate Cancer. I'm trying my hardest to get this thing to become reality.

By the way, everyone who I've seen do the ALS I've now been asking them if they thought about doing the Kicked in the Nuts for Prostate Cancer. I'm trying my hardest to get this thing to become reality.
someones gotta be the first. Might as well be you

I got nominated, and in lieu of donating to ALS want to donate to the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation instead with my $100, as my mom has Type 1 diabetes.

Can I do that?
I think the challenger decides on the charity. It started off with the challenger more generally picking a charity, but ALS then became the primary one.

But you can donate to JDRF with or without any ice bucket challenge.

someones gotta be the first. Might as well be you
Well, I don't actually want to get kicked in the nuts. I just want to see other idiots doing it.

Sorry to bump an old thread but... had to deactivate tonight. My daughter-in-law has been off work over a month already on maternity leave. Seems to find plenty of time to dine out, go out for drinks, and watch every reality show ever conceived. She posts complaining that the network dared cut in to Dancing with the Stars to cover some ISIS thing! And what is ISIS anyways??? Needless to say, I had to post a bit about how they've only been all over TV what with the lopping off of American citizen's heads and all. Her response, "I have a baby now, I don't have time for news." Now, think about that. She doesn't have time to watch news is her complaint and excuse for ignorance, in response to a post about her precious DWTS being interrupted. In the interest of family peace, and not ruining any chance of my wife ever seeing her grandchild again, had to just shut it down, as this is the level of intelligence I have been forced to tolerate while searching for that rare, meaningful nugget. It was just no longer worth it.

TxBuckeye said:
Sorry to bump an old thread but... had to deactivate tonight. My daughter-in-law has been off work over a month already on maternity leave. Seems to find plenty of time to dine out, go out for drinks, and watch every reality show ever conceived. She posts complaining that the network dared cut in to Dancing with the Stars to cover some ISIS thing! And what is ISIS anyways??? Needless to say, I had to post a bit about how they've only been all over TV what with the lopping off of American citizen's heads and all. Her response, "I have a baby now, I don't have time for news." Now, think about that. She doesn't have time to watch news is her complaint and excuse for ignorance, in response to a post about her precious DWTS being interrupted. In the interest of family peace, and not ruining any chance of my wife ever seeing her grandchild again, had to just shut it down, as this is the level of intelligence I have been forced to tolerate while searching for that rare, meaningful nugget. It was just no longer worth it.
Facebook is basically "news" on what the social and intellectual demographic of the world is really like...unfortunately the answer is that a lot of folks care more about what Kim Kardashian is doing than what's going on in the Middle East, with healthcare, etc. Idiots abound on the interwebs...Especially on that book of faces...Turning off your Facebook, unfortunately, won't make people change. It'll just isolate you from having to be reminded of it every. single. day.

I commiserate with you though. In most cases, I just unfollow or unfriend people who repetitively make stupid comments...you can't really do that in this case.

My cousin posted a photo of her sonogram to facebook which basically just looked like a kidney shaped blob.

The first comment from one of her friends was:

"He's so cute!"

(and was dead serious about it)

:lol:

TxBuckeye said:
Personally, I find it fascinating that people care so much about what other people do / watch / view / etc.

Why would it matter one bit to you that she (or anyone else) doesn't watch the news? Who cares?

TxBuckeye said:
I dunno. Maybe she used to watch both but now only has time for one. So instead of watching depressing news she watches something that she actually enjoys. Im the same way. Life is short and I dont have time for a lot these days but damn straight I make time for fantasy football

Personally, I find it fascinating that people care so much about what other people do / watch / view / etc.

Why would it matter one bit to you that she (or anyone else) doesn't watch the news? Who cares?
Since she has a vote... me. If she relinquished the right to elect a President, then I'd probably wouldn't care in the least. Well, considering they were beheading our citizens, yea, I guess I still would.

Were you really searching for a meaningful nugget on Facebook? Unless that is code for searching for pics of hot chicks behaving badly then I think we have found the real problem.

Were you really searching for a meaningful nugget on Facebook? Unless that is code for searching for pics of hot chicks behaving badly then I think we have found the real problem.
As I stated somewhere earlier in this thread, I only friended immediate family and that was all I used it for. I thought it would be a great way to keep in touch with everyone. I was wrong. I'm actually shocked at how much drivel my family posts. It wasn't worth it to dig for the nuggets anymore.

I dunno. Maybe she used to watch both but now only has time for one. So instead of watching depressing news she watches something that she actually enjoys. Im the same way. Life is short and I dont have time for a lot these days but damn straight I make time for fantasy football
She's been off work almost a month and a half. Yes, she has a baby, which sleeps about 18 hours a day. She actually has nothing but time right now. As you could tell from her myriad of postings about all the stuff she watches if you could see her wall or whatever it is called. It's all trash. And that's fine. I get it, people like what they like. But admittedly, the level of ignorance displayed by not even knowing who the murderers of American citizens is just rubbed me the wrong way. I think it's a fairly sad indictement of the mentality we have in this country to be honest. To care so much about reaity shows and so little about reality. It is just sad. I guess I want (hope for) better for my family.

TxBuckeye said:
She's been off work almost a month and a half. Yes, she has a baby, which sleeps about 18 hours a day. She actually has nothing but time right now. As you could tell from her myriad of postings about all the stuff she watches if you could see her wall or whatever it is called. It's all trash. And that's fine. I get it, people like what they like. But admittedly, the level of ignorance displayed by not even knowing who the murderers of American citizens is just rubbed me the wrong way. I think it's a fairly sad indictement of the mentality we have in this country to be honest. To care so much about reaity shows and so little about reality. It is just sad. I guess I want (hope for) better for my family.
Man...I have a 3 month old who barely sleeps, and she's got a 1-month old who sleeps 18 hours a day? What the f.

Users who are viewing this thread