What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking Bad on AMC (4 Viewers)

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Raider Nation said:
wildbill said:
Who warned Hank, and why?
Deleted my original reply to this.I had written Pollos, but that makes no sense since he gave up Hank in the first place. Maybe Saul found out?
I'm going Saul.
I'm going with Pollos. I think he gave up Hank to save Walt, knowing that Hank probably had a good chance to off the twins.ETA I think Mike made the actual phone call, but acting on direction from Pollos

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I loved the last scene, I had a couple problems with it:- Dude calls Hank and tells him he's got one minute before 2 guys make it to his car and kill him. At first he thinks it's a crank call. Then he starts taking it seriously. Hank was sweating balls and extremely paranoid. WTF didn't he just GTFO of there? Especially once he realizes he doesn't have his gun. That made no sense to me. He just stays there like a sitting duck.- When the one brother is crushed and tells the other brother to finish him, he all but does. Then he suddenly stops and says "Too easy," and casually walks back to his car for the axe when they're in the middle of a busy parking lot during the afternoon after they've been exchanging serious gunfire. I thought that was completely unrealistic. The writers also completely telegraphed what was coming. Everyone and their mom knew Hank was going to put the bullet in his gun and kill the guy before getting axed. I was rooting for Hank to get axed, but I knew it wasn't happening.
Hank had just been run around by a fake call, much to his detriment. He was naturally indecisive due to recent life experience, and lets face it, the call did not come with any bona fides.If it was just a hit I completely agree with you. This was personal and he wanted to make it personal and to send a message. Disgraced DEA agent gunned down is not much of a message. DEA agent axed to death in daylight at popular local mall, well that is a statement.

With the two major characters having color related names I got sort of a Reservior Dogs vibe last night upon that realization. As well as this is written I suspect there may be an homage going there.
Hank ShraederSkyler reminds me of the color Sky blue

It's like they started naming character by grabbing a box of crayons

As much as I loved the last scene, I had a couple problems with it:

- Dude calls Hank and tells him he's got one minute before 2 guys make it to his car and kill him. At first he thinks it's a crank call. Then he starts taking it seriously. Hank was sweating balls and extremely paranoid. WTF didn't he just GTFO of there? Especially once he realizes he doesn't have his gun. That made no sense to me. He just stays there like a sitting duck.

- When the one brother is crushed and tells the other brother to finish him, he all but does. Then he suddenly stops and says "Too easy," and casually walks back to his car for the axe when they're in the middle of a busy parking lot during the afternoon after they've been exchanging serious gunfire. I thought that was completely unrealistic. The writers also completely telegraphed what was coming. Everyone and their mom knew Hank was going to put the bullet in his gun and kill the guy before getting axed. I was rooting for Hank to get axed, but I knew it wasn't happening.
No problems here. (1) Hank's a cop. He doesn't run. Remember, he left his gun in his car to go back and beat the crap out of the guys at the bar. (2) The one cousin taking his time and getting the axe was in character. Look at their other scenes like walking up behind the Indian cop with the axe, waiting on the bed for Walt with the axe and just sitting in Pollos' place staring straight ahead. Nothing fazed those guys. They moved at their own pace. And yes, it was telegraphed from the minute the bullet was dropped. But that's okay by me.

What I can't figure out is if Jesse knows that Walt was there when his girl died - did I miss something somewhere? Or is Jesse simply directing all of his emotions toward Walt?
I don't think Jesse knows Walt was there. He has been blaming himself for her death this entire season.

What I can't figure out is if Jesse knows that Walt was there when his girl died - did I miss something somewhere? Or is Jesse simply directing all of his emotions toward Walt?
I don't think Jesse knows Walt was there. He has been blaming himself for her death this entire season.
Jesse has no clue Walt was there when she died. If he did, he sure as hell wouldn't agree to "50-50."

- When the one brother is crushed and tells the other brother to finish him, he all but does. Then he suddenly stops and says "Too easy," and casually walks back to his car for the axe when they're in the middle of a busy parking lot during the afternoon after they've been exchanging serious gunfire. I thought that was completely unrealistic. The writers also completely telegraphed what was coming. Everyone and their mom knew Hank was going to put the bullet in his gun and kill the guy before getting axed. I was rooting for Hank to get axed, but I knew it wasn't happening.
:cry: you may have been the only person I know rooting against Hank.

Big Blue Wrecking Crew said:
PlasmaDogPlasma said:
I was also thinking maybe the "Family is everything" psycho actually pulled the rug out from under them for reasons yet to be learned.
Did anyone else think this was a younger Tuco's uncle Tio aka "Bell man"?
Definitely Uncle Tio, and he was talking about "the Chicken Man" on the phone. Great writing. :cry:
Uncle Tio can only communicate using the bell

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
I was also thinking maybe the "Family is everything" psycho actually pulled the rug out from under them for reasons yet to be learned.
Definitely Uncle Tio, and he was talking about "the Chicken Man" on the phone. Great writing. ;)
I don't think he was born that way.

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
Definitely Uncle Tio, and he was talking about "the Chicken Man" on the phone. Great writing. :lmao:
beg to differ, smart guy

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
Definitely Uncle Tio, and he was talking about "the Chicken Man" on the phone. Great writing. :lmao:
do you have any proof?

:thumbup: you may have been the only person I know rooting against Hank.
When the scene began I was rooting for Hank to GTFO of there. Then he froze up, as others in here alluded to. Once the scene became completely telegraphed with Hank and the bullet on the ground, I was rooting for the brother to axe him. I wanted to be surprised. That would of been one of the greatest tv HOLY ####! moments of all time.Also, Hank was mean to Jesse in the opening scene so it made it easy to root against him at the end.

if you go back to previous episodes and look at tuco's uncle, then look at the flashback to the young twins scene - it's definitely him. you're blind and/or stupid if you don't recognize that. sry.

The flashback?
Not conclusive
is this shtick?
Yeah, I'm just effing with you....btw, Tuco's uncle kind of looks like the silent assassin from Scarface. You know the guy from Colombia that Tony has to take with him to kill the guy in NYC.
Same actor...
That's pretty cool. Haven't seen him since then but I guess I haven't been looking hard enough. His IMDB resume is impressive.

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
if you go back to previous episodes and look at tuco's uncle, then look at the flashback to the young twins scene - it's definitely him. you're blind and/or stupid if you don't recognize that. sry.
I didn't recognize him immediately, but checking photos of the actor that plays Tio set me straight. Also the episode guide spells it out:
In Mexico, two young boys — the Cousins as children — fight over a toy until one breaks it. Nearby, a much younger, spryer Tio talks on his cell phone, disparaging the "Chicken Man" as a "dirty" South American.
Didn't he say they were brothers? I thought he said something along the lines of "you'll have to try harder than that to save your brother."

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
I didn't recognize him immediately, but checking photos of the actor that plays Tio set me straight. Also the episode guide spells it out:
In Mexico, two young boys — the Cousins as children — fight over a toy until one breaks it. Nearby, a much younger, spryer Tio talks on his cell phone, disparaging the "Chicken Man" as a "dirty" South American.
Didn't he say they were brothers? I thought he said something along the lines of "you'll have to try harder than that to save your brother."
The Cousins are brothers to each other (in real life as well) but cousins to Tuco.

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
The Cousins are brothers to each other (in real life as well) but cousins to Tuco.
Duh, I shoulda picked up on that.Meh, end of the day brain fart.Thanks.

Great arcs from Hank and Jesse. Walt awesome as always. Freezing up followed by his muscle memory kicking in and kicking ### was awesome.

I think Mike being the phone guy is too obvious. Hoping for a surprise there. A lot of these big time cartels have cop connections. Anyone else think it was weird that Hank's boss knew about Pinkman dropping the charges so quickly?

What shoe will drop first? Jesse finding out Walt watched his girl die or Hank putting Walt and Jesse together? Hank's wife (dirty succubus) only told Skyler what happened with Pinkman. Walt had no reason to know when she came to him. That might do him in.

Uncle Uncle is going to be piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed! I would not want to be that bell when he hears what happened.

I was away for a couple of days and just got back to watch it on DVR. What an incredible episode, maybe best one ever.

The scene with Hank and Marie was great. So was the scene between Jessie, Saul, and Walt. Saul had some killer comedic lines earlier (e.g. Ringo and the Yo Adrian lines).

That last scene was so intense. Unreal. By far to me, it's the best show on tv now. Amazing writing and acting. Even the direction was great. The last scene reminded me of a hit on Tony Soprano.

Great episode.

I think this show slipped last season. The screaming, maniacal Tuco got old quick. However, I think this show has rebounded strong. Breaking Bad rejoins Mad Men as the best two current dramas on TV.

The scene with Jesse arguing with Walter was excellent. I think it's poignant that Jesse says that Hank doesn't care about him. Because by giving up 1/2 his $3 million dollars and convincing Jesse to cook with him, he saved Jesse's life. There's no way the Cartel would let Jesse live if he was arrested running a two bit operation with those two imbeciles.

I listened to this week's podcast and they obviously talked a lot about Hank. After punching Jesse he could have just left, but he stuck and around. They shot a scene where he called 911, but it was left out of the final cut. Then everyone around him, including his wife, tried to get him to either keep quiet or lie to get out of trouble, but Hank did the right thing, even though it wasn't the easy thing. On the podcast they described him as not being like Walt. And it hit me that Hank is really the only good person on the show. Walt is a drug dealer, a liar and a murderer. Jesse is a drug dealer and an addict. Skylar is an adultress, Marie is a kleptomaniac. Saul is a sterotypical sleazy lawyer. Almost all of the other characters are criminals. But Hank is so honest he risked losing his career over a punk meth dealer just to keep his conscience clear.

I think the show will have to end with Hank catching Walt. Even though I don't want the show to end, I'm looking forward to that scene.

It's still really easy (prior to a few weeks ago, anyway) to dislike Hank. With his bloated, insecure cop bravado, terrible jokes, and twice now we've seen him fly off the handle and just beat the #### out of someone (one for no reason, one for marginal reason -- both illegal).

Not sure why people want to act like he's the remaining good guy. (Not just you Wb, I saw a snippet of an interview with the guy who plays Hank and he said the same thing).

It's still really easy (prior to a few weeks ago, anyway) to dislike Hank. With his bloated, insecure cop bravado, terrible jokes, and twice now we've seen him fly off the handle and just beat the #### out of someone (one for no reason, one for marginal reason -- both illegal). Not sure why people want to act like he's the remaining good guy. (Not just you Wb, I saw a snippet of an interview with the guy who plays Hank and he said the same thing).
Hank's not perfect, but he's clearly the best of this group. He's good to his wife, he's good to his in-laws, he's a hard-working, honest cop. IMO neither of the two beatdowns he gave were examples of him breaking bad. The two guys in the bar were hardly innocent, and he didn't do anything illegal. What he did to Jesse was illegal and wrong, but it was also understandable under the circumstances, and he took responsibility for it.

It's still really easy (prior to a few weeks ago, anyway) to dislike Hank. With his bloated, insecure cop bravado, terrible jokes, and twice now we've seen him fly off the handle and just beat the #### out of someone (one for no reason, one for marginal reason -- both illegal). Not sure why people want to act like he's the remaining good guy. (Not just you Wb, I saw a snippet of an interview with the guy who plays Hank and he said the same thing).
Really? I think his insecurity makes him more likeable.

He's good to his wife, he's good to his in-laws, he's a hard-working, honest cop.
Who instigates fights with citizens. I'm not sure that's better than his wife who has shoplifted. Maybe I'm remembering wrong -- what was the story with the two in the bar (Keith Jardine and friend) -- what did they do that made them "hardly innocent" ?and Cheney, yes, his insecurity does make him more human and likable, but my point in bringing up his insecurity was the fake bravado that he pairs (or used to at the cop station) it with. That's terrible.

He's good to his wife, he's good to his in-laws, he's a hard-working, honest cop.
Who instigates fights with citizens. I'm not sure that's better than his wife who has shoplifted. Maybe I'm remembering wrong -- what was the story with the two in the bar (Keith Jardine and friend) -- what did they do that made them "hardly innocent" ?and Cheney, yes, his insecurity does make him more human and likable, but my point in bringing up his insecurity was the fake bravado that he pairs (or used to at the cop station) it with. That's terrible.
Hank saw the two guys in the bar making a drug exchange at the table.

well, even so -- say what you will about him playing cop there -- he clearly went into that scenario looking for a fight, not looking to arrest 2 criminals.

wildbill said:
Hank's not perfect, but he's clearly the best of this group. He's good to his wife, he's good to his in-laws, he's a hard-working, honest cop. IMO neither of the two beatdowns he gave were examples of him breaking bad. The two guys in the bar were hardly innocent, and he didn't do anything illegal. What he did to Jesse was illegal and wrong, but it was also understandable under the circumstances, and he took responsibility for it.
I like Hank a lot. Sure, he's made major mistakes and beating up Jesse was unforgivable. But the guy is very decent at his core.

wildbill said:
I like Hank a lot. Sure, he's made major mistakes and beating up Jesse was unforgivable. But the guy is very decent at his core.
Why was it unforgivable? He thought he screwed with his family. Justified.

- Dude calls Hank and tells him he's got one minute before 2 guys make it to his car and kill him. At first he thinks it's a crank call. Then he starts taking it seriously. Hank was sweating balls and extremely paranoid. WTF didn't he just GTFO of there? Especially once he realizes he doesn't have his gun. That made no sense to me. He just stays there like a sitting duck.

No problems here. (1) Hank's a cop. He doesn't run. Remember, he left his gun in his car to go back and beat the crap out of the guys at the bar. (2) The one cousin taking his time and getting the axe was in character. Look at their other scenes like walking up behind the Indian cop with the axe, waiting on the bed for Walt with the axe and just sitting in Pollos' place staring straight ahead. Nothing fazed those guys. They moved at their own pace. And yes, it was telegraphed from the minute the bullet was dropped. But that's okay by me.
well if thats the case why didnt they have the ax with them in the first place ...in the parking lot ?

well if thats the case why didnt they have the ax with them in the first place ...in the parking lot ?
I went back and rewatched this episode sober the other night. Originally, they were just going to take Hank out with their guns. I think after the one brother got crushed courtesy of Hank, however, that's would made the other brother change his mind at the last second and go get the axe so he could make Hank's death as unpleasant as possible. Originally, they were planning a regular hit sans axe, but their botched attempt led the one brother to go get the axe. That's my take anyways.

I'm assuming the cousins didn't know that Hank had turned in his gun. They expected him to be armed, and you don't bring an axe to a gun fight.

I'm assuming the cousins didn't know that Hank had turned in his gun. They expected him to be armed, and you don't bring an axe to a gun fight.
but the brother that got crushed shot first...so they had a gun ...if its the other brothers M.O to use an ax he should have had it...just sayin

Because they were stalking a cop who they presumed to be armed with a gun. The very cop who gunned down their cousin. There aren't dumb. That was the reason they bought the bullet proof vests. Once Hank was incapacitated and out of bullets, he thought he could take his time with the axe. Ooops.

Because they were stalking a cop who they presumed to be armed with a gun. The very cop who gunned down their cousin. There aren't dumb. That was the reason they bought the bullet proof vests. Once Hank was incapacitated and out of bullets, he thought he could take his time with the axe. Ooops.
the indian cop they killed had a shotgun trained on his brother...and yet he took the chance of the cop hearing him walking up behind him armed with nothing but his favorite weapon , jis ax...just sayin...i think it was a slight oversight on the writers part...but who knows for sure

the indian cop they killed had a shotgun trained on his brother...and yet he took the chance of the cop hearing him walking up behind him armed with nothing but his favorite weapon , jis ax...just sayin...i think it was a slight oversight on the writers part...but who knows for sure
An unpredictable sociopath... Who'd of thunk it?

Don't recall if the crushed brother died, I don't think he did. So if he didn't, how about he takes the place of Tuco's uncle and continues the fight against the chicken man franchise, Walt, et al.

Don't recall if the crushed brother died, I don't think he did. So if he didn't, how about he takes the place of Tuco's uncle and continues the fight against the chicken man franchise, Walt, et al.
In the previews for next week it looks like he's still alive.

Users who are viewing this thread