What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking Bad on AMC (8 Viewers)

Love breaking bad but it's not in the same league as The Wire. It's no knock against BB, not at all. The Wire just set the bar impossibly high.
I think that they are very similar though. The Sopranos is a lot like Sons of Anarchy. Sopranos and SoA show the lighter side of the respective crafts of the protagonists. I imagine a lot of viewers think it's cool or have a certain amount of admiration for the lifestyle these people have chosen. I don't think there are any of these misgivings in Breaking Bad or The Wire.

TexanFan02 said:
:confused: Holy Crap! This show just put itself into Sopranos/Wire/Shield territory. It's awesome!I know from reading this board that there will be some Wire junkies who disagree, but get over yourselves and get on board! (I liked all of those shows, and this one compares favorably)
I'm a Wire junkie but Breaking Bad is lurking on da corner.

that episode was awesome.

can someone explain the significance of the death of the lady at the beginning? i realize there was the drawing of walt in there, but what did the lady have to do with it (if we know yet)?

Tiger Fan said:
that episode was awesome. can someone explain the significance of the death of the lady at the beginning? i realize there was the drawing of walt in there, but what did the lady have to do with it (if we know yet)?
I think she was just some lady who lived out in the middle of nowhere. They killed her and used her place as a hide out, thinking it would be a while before anyone noticed her missing. Like the people crossing the border in that truck a few weeks ago, she was an unimportant person who happened to get in their way.

Tiger Fan said:
that episode was awesome. can someone explain the significance of the death of the lady at the beginning? i realize there was the drawing of walt in there, but what did the lady have to do with it (if we know yet)?
I think she was just some lady who lived out in the middle of nowhere. They killed her and used her place as a hide out, thinking it would be a while before anyone noticed her missing. Like the people crossing the border in that truck a few weeks ago, she was an unimportant person who happened to get in their way.
gotcha...thanks

Tiger Fan said:
gotcha...thanks
Also, if I'm remembering correctly, the "opening foreshadowing" scenes are not always resolved in that same episode. I bet we'll get some context in the coming weeks.

OH. MY. GOD!

I had no idea he was Tim Whatley. I've seen countless reruns of Seinfeld's with Whatley, and I never put the two together.

Wow... Cranston did not age well at all. :confused:

I was aware that Anna Gunn played one of Jerry's girlfriends.
you knew one of Jerry's random girlfriends (from a single episode SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO) but couldn't remember TIM FREAKING WHATLEY??sorry.. i'm having a hard time with this right now. TIM WHATLEY! :shakeshead:

Last edited by a moderator:
That was by far the funniest episode of the series, imo.

- Jesse's buddy bumping a line of his product :lmao:

- Hank muttering about Jesse needing to get motivated and break the law. Followed by the cheesy ringtone from his wife calling, and him acting like he was being pressured to come home from a poker game with his buddies rather than being asked to leave a tedious stakeout.

- The whole baking scene acting where they act like they're a couple of girlfriends baking pies and brownies for a bake sale. Crankston's co-chemist: "I'm a libertarian." :whoosh:

- Tuco's cousins sitting on the same side of the booth and not flinching when the lady asks if they're leaving.

- When Crankston calls Saul for help while trapped in the RV and he's incredulous he doesn't have a backup plan and references a self destruct button for the starship.

- Kramer articulately detailing his 4th amendment rights

- Jesse yelling out of the RV at Hank and dropping a "#####" at the end

OH. MY. GOD!

I had no idea he was Tim Whatley. I've seen countless reruns of Seinfeld's with Whatley, and I never put the two together.

Wow... Cranston did not age well at all. :goodposting:

you knew one of Jerry's random girlfriends (from a single episode SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO) but couldn't remember TIM FREAKING WHATLEY??sorry.. i'm having a hard time with this right now. TIM WHATLEY! :shakeshead:
Cranston was on The Daily Show a few weeks ago, and the two of them made an anti-dentite reference. Not sure I made the connection before then, but it didn't shock me either.

OH. MY. GOD!

Wow... Cranston did not age well at all. :shock:

you knew one of Jerry's random girlfriends (from a single episode SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO) but couldn't remember TIM FREAKING WHATLEY??
:shrug: I remember ALL of Jerry's girlfriends. :wub:

Like I said, I'm shocked. Didn't put the Tim Whatley face with the Walter White face.

Okay, time for my weekly "I don't get it" moment.

Walt cuts the crust off of his peanut butter sandwich, folds the napkin carefully, and creases the bag neatly.

What was the point? To display his OCD?

Okay, time for my weekly "I don't get it" moment.Walt cuts the crust off of his peanut butter sandwich, folds the napkin carefully, and creases the bag neatly.What was the point? To display his OCD?
I think it all ties into the manner in which they presented the cooking. He's fixing his lunch like a mom would do for her kid to take to school. Then the cooking scene was more like a home ec. class than a drug operation. He's living in fantasyland.

Okay, time for my weekly "I don't get it" moment.Walt cuts the crust off of his peanut butter sandwich, folds the napkin carefully, and creases the bag neatly.What was the point? To display his OCD?
I think it all ties into the manner in which they presented the cooking. He's fixing his lunch like a mom would do for her kid to take to school. Then the cooking scene was more like a home ec. class than a drug operation. He's living in fantasyland.
I took it as "going back to work". IIRC, the producers made it seem that he did the same thing when he went to teach everyday. When he was cooking with Jessie, it wasn't a "real job".....clearly, now it is (even though it's only for 3 months) :hifive:

This show has gotten progressively better each season.

Season 1 was good, but I remember at the beginning not being sure about it, it seemed a bit hokey on some fronts at first but the writing got better at the end of the season and the introduction of the Tuco character.

Last season was great, it was pretty fierce from start to finish.

I think this season is off to just as good a start as last season, there are no filler episodes, they hit almost every one out of the park.

Tiger Fan said:
Christo said:
Raider Nation said:

Walt cuts the crust off of his peanut butter sandwich, folds the napkin carefully, and creases the bag neatly.

I took it as "going back to work". IIRC, the producers made it seem that he did the same thing when he went to teach everyday. When he was cooking with Jessie, it wasn't a "real job".....clearly, now it is (even though it's only for 3 months) :thumbup:
I don't remember that. If true your theory makes sense.

Where do we rank Breaking Bad going forward?3rd best drama of all time?
I'm a big fan, but I'd rank it like this:1. The Wire2. The Sopranos3. Deadwood4. Mad Men5. Six Feet Under6. Breaking Bad7. Hill Street Blues8. Rome9. Carnivale10. The Tudors
I think BB is better than The Sopranos.
most shows are better than the sopranos, so over rated
Almost everything that is great is overrated.

Tiger Fan said:
Christo said:
Raider Nation said:
I took it as "going back to work". IIRC, the producers made it seem that he did the same thing when he went to teach everyday. When he was cooking with Jessie, it wasn't a "real job".....clearly, now it is (even though it's only for 3 months) :hey:
He's made that lunch a few times and it just fits with his new job being like his old job. He's just a chemist, nothing wrong with that. His partner (who was good in Damages and is in an AT&T commercial) could almost be in his imagination, although I doubt the show would do that. The scene with the RV was one of the best ever on the show. I wasn't sure who Walt called but I guess the slogan sunk in to him..."Gotta Call Saul" I like that you had to know that the call to Hank was fake and the writers didn't try to trick you. They made it obvious so everyone knew but Hank. I thought he was going to have a heart attack. While it seems that Hank is gonna get hit by the psycho twins I wouldn't be shocked if Hanks kills them both. But where would that lead? He's too close to Jesse, something has to give. *wild speculation*...any chance Hank gets pulled into an agreement with Walt and provides cover for the operation?

Tiger Fan said:
Christo said:
Raider Nation said:
I took it as "going back to work". IIRC, the producers made it seem that he did the same thing when he went to teach everyday. When he was cooking with Jessie, it wasn't a "real job".....clearly, now it is (even though it's only for 3 months) :wall:
He's made that lunch a few times and it just fits with his new job being like his old job. He's just a chemist, nothing wrong with that. His partner (who was good in Damages and is in an AT&T commercial) could almost be in his imagination, although I doubt the show would do that. The scene with the RV was one of the best ever on the show. I wasn't sure who Walt called but I guess the slogan sunk in to him..."Gotta Call Saul" I like that you had to know that the call to Hank was fake and the writers didn't try to trick you. They made it obvious so everyone knew but Hank. I thought he was going to have a heart attack. While it seems that Hank is gonna get hit by the psycho twins I wouldn't be shocked if Hanks kills them both. But where would that lead? He's too close to Jesse, something has to give. *wild speculation*...any chance Hank gets pulled into an agreement with Walt and provides cover for the operation?
I swore he was gonna call Urkel to see if he had any pull with anyone in the DEA.

I thought he was going to call Hanks and say his cancer was back or some sort of emergency to get him out of there. I didn't think of Saul.

Tiger Fan said:
Christo said:
Raider Nation said:

I took it as "going back to work". IIRC, the producers made it seem that he did the same thing when he went to teach everyday. When he was cooking with Jessie, it wasn't a "real job".....clearly, now it is (even though it's only for 3 months) :hey:
I don't think so. I think that would be kind of out of the blue and not like his character.

I still think the most realistic recourse is for Gus's organization, if the hit on Hank doesn't work, is to eliminate Jesse. He's the real loose end for Gus. He's a rival distributor (very small), he knows the formula, he knows Walt, he knows Saul and I think that he even knows who Gus is/looks like.

I still think the most realistic recourse is for Gus's organization, if the hit on Hank doesn't work, is to eliminate Jesse. He's the real loose end for Gus. He's a rival distributor (very small), he knows the formula, he knows Walt, he knows Saul and I think that he even knows who Gus is/looks like.
It'll be interesting to see if the writers have the balls to kill off a major character like Jesse.

Tiger Fan said:
Christo said:
Raider Nation said:

I took it as "going back to work". IIRC, the producers made it seem that he did the same thing when he went to teach everyday. When he was cooking with Jessie, it wasn't a "real job".....clearly, now it is (even though it's only for 3 months) :goodposting:
I thought the same.....as for Hank, gun > ax

Couple of things I noticed and took issue with.

Opening scene of the Police Officer in his SUV and the camera focuses on his rear view mirror with the picture hanging from it. Said something like "Fighting terrorism since 1492" (something close) and had a picture of several Native American Indians holding rifles. Seemed like a typical Hollywood portrayal of Law Enforcement being a bunch of red neck hill billies but the problem was...the Police Officer appeared to be Native American himself and had a pony tail poking out of his base ball cap. Not sure what point they were trying to make but it seemed contradictory.

The scene in Jesse's house where he is talking to his friends about going back into business with him and one of them does a line of his meth on the table. The friend starts tweaking doing the "River Dance" in the middle of the room but suddenly sobers up to have an intellectual conversation regarding what his role will be in their new venture. I'm nitpicking but a horribly unrealistic portrayal of a person who just did a line of crystal meth.

Walt and Jesse standing around watching the Winnebago getting crushed into little pieces. I kept thinking to myself "aren't they worried Hank is going to return once he realizes he has been played!?" They seemed way to relaxed given the bullet they had both just dodged.

I thought Saul's secretary posing as a Law Enforcement Dispatcher was a great scene and very realistic as how one would be notified of a serious automobile accident involving a family member. Much better portrayal of the professionalism that 911 Dispatchers have while interacting on the radio vs the opening seen where they are chatting like two friends sharing a beer.

Great episode overall and had me on the edge of my seat.

Opening scene of the Police Officer in his SUV and the camera focuses on his rear view mirror with the picture hanging from it. Said something like "Fighting terrorism since 1492" (something close) and had a picture of several Native American Indians holding rifles. Seemed like a typical Hollywood portrayal of Law Enforcement being a bunch of red neck hill billies but the problem was...the Police Officer appeared to be Native American himself and had a pony tail poking out of his base ball cap. Not sure what point they were trying to make but it seemed contradictory.
What is contradictory about it?

The scene in Jesse's house where he is talking to his friends about going back into business with him and one of them does a line of his meth on the table. The friend starts tweaking doing the "River Dance" in the middle of the room but suddenly sobers up to have an intellectual conversation regarding what his role will be in their new venture. I'm nitpicking but a horribly unrealistic portrayal of a person who just did a line of crystal meth.
Disclaimer: I've never done meth, but I think you are wrong on this one. Meth is not like heroin where the drug has such an immediate affect as to prevent you from having a cogent conversation.

I think it says "Original Homeland Security, Fighting terrorism, etc. etc." The officer was a Native American. So I agree. Not contradictory.

I think it says "Original Homeland Security, Fighting terrorism, etc. etc." The officer was a Native American. So I agree. Not contradictory.
Friend of mine, who's part native-american wears that T-shirt sometimes

Couple of things I noticed and took issue with.Opening scene of the Police Officer in his SUV and the camera focuses on his rear view mirror with the picture hanging from it. Said something like "Fighting terrorism since 1492" (something close) and had a picture of several Native American Indians holding rifles. Seemed like a typical Hollywood portrayal of Law Enforcement being a bunch of red neck hill billies but the problem was...the Police Officer appeared to be Native American himself and had a pony tail poking out of his base ball cap. Not sure what point they were trying to make but it seemed contradictory.
The cop had a sense of humor.

Couple of things I noticed and took issue with.Opening scene of the Police Officer in his SUV and the camera focuses on his rear view mirror with the picture hanging from it. Said something like "Fighting terrorism since 1492" (something close) and had a picture of several Native American Indians holding rifles. Seemed like a typical Hollywood portrayal of Law Enforcement being a bunch of red neck hill billies but the problem was...the Police Officer appeared to be Native American himself and had a pony tail poking out of his base ball cap. Not sure what point they were trying to make but it seemed contradictory. The scene in Jesse's house where he is talking to his friends about going back into business with him and one of them does a line of his meth on the table. The friend starts tweaking doing the "River Dance" in the middle of the room but suddenly sobers up to have an intellectual conversation regarding what his role will be in their new venture. I'm nitpicking but a horribly unrealistic portrayal of a person who just did a line of crystal meth. Walt and Jesse standing around watching the Winnebago getting crushed into little pieces. I kept thinking to myself "aren't they worried Hank is going to return once he realizes he has been played!?" They seemed way to relaxed given the bullet they had both just dodged. I thought Saul's secretary posing as a Law Enforcement Dispatcher was a great scene and very realistic as how one would be notified of a serious automobile accident involving a family member. Much better portrayal of the professionalism that 911 Dispatchers have while interacting on the radio vs the opening seen where they are chatting like two friends sharing a beer. Great episode overall and had me on the edge of my seat.
1. Looked like an Indian Reservation so it was probably Tribal police.2. No Clue on meth3. I doubt the hospital is next to the junk yard so they had some time before Hank could get to the Hospital and then turn around once he realized he got played.Loving this season so far :goodposting:

I want to give this show a shot. If I watch an episode now will it ruin previous episodes?

I want to give this show a shot. If I watch an episode now will it ruin previous episodes?
start from the beginning.
What is the current season? I'm wondering how much it would cost to catch up. I can start recording re-runs but I don't know what year it started. I figure I could record and throw them away til I get to the first one.
Season 3 right now. Seasons 1 & 2 are available on Netflix if you so choose.

start from the beginning.
What is the current season? I'm wondering how much it would cost to catch up. I can start recording re-runs but I don't know what year it started. I figure I could record and throw them away til I get to the first one.
Season 3 right now. Seasons 1 & 2 are available on Netflix if you so choose.
So season 1 would be 08, right?

we thought it was irresponsible of walt to watch the winnebago get smashed also. but remember that walt needed to wait for a taxi so there's that. you may have also noted that walt was pointing out something to jesse, almost like he was teaching him an impromptu physics lesson which would be perfectly in character. and finally we have the increasing hubris from walt which might explain why he wouldn't just hide while waiting for the cab. he's becoming badder and badder.

so, in short, we suspended some disbelief in that RV-crushnig scene but it wasn't altogether incomprehensible. fwiw, i thought the episode before this week's was even better but the season has really picked up steam over the past month.

I think I would have stayed to watch the destruction. The junkyard guy knew that the RV was valuable/dangerous...if they tell him "take care of it" and just bail...how do they know the thing is really gone? A tiny bit of risk to ensure that major piece of evidence is destroyed seems worthwhile.

we thought it was irresponsible of walt to watch the winnebago get smashed also. but remember that walt needed to wait for a taxi so there's that. you may have also noted that walt was pointing out something to jesse, almost like he was teaching him an impromptu physics lesson which would be perfectly in character. and finally we have the increasing hubris from walt which might explain why he wouldn't just hide while waiting for the cab. he's becoming badder and badder.

so, in short, we suspended some disbelief in that RV-crushnig scene but it wasn't altogether incomprehensible. fwiw, i thought the episode before this week's was even better but the season has really picked up steam over the past month.
"You ever lead the DEA to me like that again, I will smash you flatter than that."

Users who are viewing this thread