What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS PLAYOFF THREAD*** (3 Viewers)

No Bolland or Emery again tonight. Harding starting for the Wild. Nervous about the game tonight, hopefully the Hawks can get some traffic in front of Harding and not be kept to the perimeter.

Too lazy to look it up, but as Sharp lost a game in regulation yet this season?
I don't believe the Hawks have lost in regulation with Sharp in the lineup. That said as of right now Crow is the MVP of this series. Without him the Hawks are down 2-1.

Hawks looked like they had no legs starting right around half through the first till almost the last part of the 3rd. The Wild played a great game and really dictated play. The Hawks need to get back to cleaner exits out of their zone, stop with the 2 and 3 line passes. The Toews line needs to start producing.

Very big game tonight. Here's hoping that the Top 6 not named Kane actually find some sort of offensive game tonight. D needs to get back to limiting shots and quick, clean exits. No more stretch passes that miss over and over and over.

Really nervous about this game tonight. Carcillo in for Bollig, likely Saad moving down a few lines and Carcillo on the Toews line.

LETS GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hate to see any team have to play musical goalies, but glad there's a W in the Chicago book. Speaking of that, anyone have any info on Emery?

Hate to see any team have to play musical goalies, but glad there's a W in the Chicago book. Speaking of that, anyone have any info on Emery?
I don't recall anything new in this morning's Tribune. I'm sure the Hawks don't mind having a reason to stay with one goalie (Crawford) for now. It'd be great, though, to have Emery back as the playoffs progress.

Tough for the Wild to be struggling with goalies, but, yeah, let's take our wins and rest up for round 2. The Hawks' depth is incredible.

Still nothing on Emery or Bolland. Last I heard they were both skating after the regular practice, which doesn't bode well.

:oldunsure: :crickets:

Hawks need to up their level of play in the 2nd round, if they continue to play like they did against the Wild not sure they can beat the Wings or the Sharks in 7.

Hawks need to up their level of play in the 2nd round, if they continue to play like they did against the Wild not sure they can beat the Wings or the Sharks in 7.
Really? The Hawks were 4-0 and 3-0 against these teams during the regular season. Minnesota just went ohfer 17 on the pp. If either the wings or sharks take them to 6 games i'd be surprised. Hawks in 4 or 5 against either team. The ducks scare me a little bit in the next round though. I still think we are headed for a date in the Stanley cup championship vs. Pitt./Boston.

Really? The Hawks were 4-0 and 3-0 against these teams during the regular season. Minnesota just went ohfer 17 on the pp. If either the wings or sharks take them to 6 games i'd be surprised. Hawks in 4 or 5 against either team. The ducks scare me a little bit in the next round though. I still think we are headed for a date in the Stanley cup championship vs. Pitt./Boston.
The Wild dictated play for a large percentage of the series, and had 17 PP. Most of their shots missed the net completely and not due to the Hawks deflecting them. The Hawks seemed to play when they wanted to play and were lucky to face a 2nd and 3rd string goalie. A healthy Backstrom and this series might have been a lot different.

If the Hawks continue with the erratic compete level (See Q's comments about not being happy with the level they are playing at) then the Sharks or Wings could take them out. If the Hawks play to the capabilities neither team should be able to win a series against them.

Interesting story in my mind for both the possible 2nd round opponents. Both are dangerous and I honestly don't know which I would rather see Chicago play. I still have a soft spot for Niemi and he's playing lights out. While Chicago shooters have seemed to have his number in the past, I have no doubt he would love to send Chicago to the teebox. On the other hand there's the possibility of kicking Detroit out of the Western Conference with a L. While that scenario would give me incredible joy, if Detroit were to oust Chicago that would be especially painful. Whichever way it works out it should be a great series, my prediction is Chicago in 6 vs. SJ or 7 vs. Detroit.

Very odd that Stalberg is not dressing for game 1 and Zeus is. Stalberg wasn't great against the Wild but Zeus was horrible. Bolland and Emery back for tonight. Can't wait, hope this is a great series. The only better way to "end" this rivalry would be a WCF series. GO HAWKS!

I only got to see the one televised game and the rest I've listened to on homer radio stations so I don't have a true feel for how the Hawks have played. I just assumed Q white-shirting Saad and Stalberg was him trying to prove a point during the free time before the 2nd round. However it's shocking that Viktor's not even dressing, makes me think something had to happen off ice. Great to see Emery and Bolland back, here's to hoping they are 100% and full speed.

Regardless I'm nervous as heck for this series. It should be awesome for anyone who loves the game of hockey. Both teams are dangerous and it's the end of their Western Conference rivalry. Epic. I'm just hoping when the final horn sounds it was better for Chicago fans than Detroit fans.

In honor of tonight's matchup I fired up the X-box at lunch and played game 1 of the series:1st PeriodThe Blackhawks are all over Detroit like a cheap suit. Toews opens the scoring 6 minutes into the match and Leddy adds a blast from the point 10 minutes later. The shellshocked Redwings are lucky to be down only 2 thanks to Howard coming up big. 2-0 Chicago2nd PeriodThe Redwings use the intermission to their advantage and bring it to Chicago outhitting and outworking them. After 12 minutes of the onslaught Abdelkader finally beats Crawford to open the scoring. An ill-timed penalty by Sharp allows Franzen to score an easy PP goal to tie it up. The remainder of the period has the staggered Blackhawks simply trying to survive until the horn. 2-2 Tie3rd PeriodThe Blackhawks come out with renewed enthusiasm and set the pace early with speed and physical play at their blue-line. As the minutes wear on Detroit continues to weather the weakening storm, gathering steam of their own. 15 minutes in the period is still gridlocked, Chicago desperately trying to use it's speed for odd man rushes while Detroit's defense has been clearing the zone and setting up offensive rushes. The game clock freezes with 36 seconds left as Bolland taps in a rebound. The United Center crowd is still going crazy when Hossa seals it with an empty netter. 4-2 Chicago3 Stars1st Toews2nd Sharp3rd Leddy* Not responsible for any money/property/limbs lost while betting on these results - my X-Box game skills probably can't predict the future.* It has to be an omen that Bolland scored the game winner with 36 seconds left.* I play on Superstar with the sliders set so I only win about 50% - 60% of the time so it's not like I will predict a 4-0 sweep.* I was sober when I played this matchup, I cannot guarantee any future scenarios will be as well.

going Saturday

:pickle:
One lucky dude, congrats! Say hi to Chet if security let's you get close enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
In honor of tonight's matchup I fired up the X-box at lunch and played game 1 of the series:1st PeriodThe Blackhawks are all over Detroit like a cheap suit. Toews opens the scoring 6 minutes into the match and Leddy adds a blast from the point 10 minutes later. The shellshocked Redwings are lucky to be down only 2 thanks to Howard coming up big. 2-0 Chicago2nd PeriodThe Redwings use the intermission to their advantage and bring it to Chicago outhitting and outworking them. After 12 minutes of the onslaught Abdelkader finally beats Crawford to open the scoring. An ill-timed penalty by Sharp allows Franzen to score an easy PP goal to tie it up. The remainder of the period has the stagged Blackhawks simply trying to survive until the horn. 2-2 Tie3rd PeriodThe Blackhawks come out with renewed enthusiasm and set the pace early with speed and physical play at their blue-line. As the minutes wear on Detroit continues to weather the weakening storm, gathering steam of their own. 15 minutes in the period is still gridlocked, Chicago desperately trying to use it's speed for odd man rushes while Detroit's defense has been clearing the zone and setting up offensive rushes. The game clock freezes with 36 seconds left as Bolland taps in a rebound. The United Center Crowd is still going crazy when Hossa seals it with an empty netter. 4-2 Chicago3 Stars1st Toews2nd Sharp3rd Leddy* Not responsible for any money/property/limbs lost while betting on these results - my X-Box game skills probably can't predict the future.* It has to be an omen that Bolland scored the game winner with 36 seconds left.* I play on Superstar with the sliders set so I only win about 50% - 60% of the time so it's not like I will predict a 4-0 sweep.* I was sober when I played this matchup, I cannot guarantee any future scenarios will be as well.

going Saturday

One lucky dude, congrats! Say hi to Chet if security let's you get close enough.
Going with my son tonight and my daughter Saturday.

I'd be at the games in California as well, but I will be in San Jose tomorrow and LA Monday. :sadbanana:

I only got to see the one televised game and the rest I've listened to on homer radio stations so I don't have a true feel for how the Hawks have played. I just assumed Q white-shirting Saad and Stalberg was him trying to prove a point during the free time before the 2nd round. However it's shocking that Viktor's not even dressing, makes me think something had to happen off ice. Great to see Emery and Bolland back, here's to hoping they are 100% and full speed.

Regardless I'm nervous as heck for this series. It should be awesome for anyone who loves the game of hockey. Both teams are dangerous and it's the end of their Western Conference rivalry. Epic. I'm just hoping when the final horn sounds it was better for Chicago fans than Detroit fans.
Hawks beat the Wild but I felt and still feel that the Wild carried the majority of the play, if not for Crow and the Wild not being able to hit the net often the series could have gone very different.

Stalberg not playing is very puzzling but per Jaeckel and a few of the other beat reporters it sounds like he and Q had a major blowout possibly involving Stalberg very vocally complaining about his lack of PP time or that another player may be getting more favorable/better treatment.

Very nervous and excited about this series!!

In honor of tonight's matchup I fired up the X-box at lunch and played game 1 of the series:1st PeriodThe Blackhawks are all over Detroit like a cheap suit. Toews opens the scoring 6 minutes into the match and Leddy adds a blast from the point 10 minutes later. The shellshocked Redwings are lucky to be down only 2 thanks to Howard coming up big. 2-0 Chicago2nd PeriodThe Redwings use the intermission to their advantage and bring it to Chicago outhitting and outworking them. After 12 minutes of the onslaught Abdelkader finally beats Crawford to open the scoring. An ill-timed penalty by Sharp allows Franzen to score an easy PP goal to tie it up. The remainder of the period has the stagged Blackhawks simply trying to survive until the horn. 2-2 Tie3rd PeriodThe Blackhawks come out with renewed enthusiasm and set the pace early with speed and physical play at their blue-line. As the minutes wear on Detroit continues to weather the weakening storm, gathering steam of their own. 15 minutes in the period is still gridlocked, Chicago desperately trying to use it's speed for odd man rushes while Detroit's defense has been clearing the zone and setting up offensive rushes. The game clock freezes with 36 seconds left as Bolland taps in a rebound. The United Center Crowd is still going crazy when Hossa seals it with an empty netter. 4-2 Chicago3 Stars1st Toews2nd Sharp3rd Leddy* Not responsible for any money/property/limbs lost while betting on these results - my X-Box game skills probably can't predict the future.* It has to be an omen that Bolland scored the game winner with 36 seconds left.* I play on Superstar with the sliders set so I only win about 50% - 60% of the time so it's not like I will predict a 4-0 sweep.* I was sober when I played this matchup, I cannot guarantee any future scenarios will be as well.

going Saturday

Going with my son tonight and my daughter Saturday.

I'd be at the games in California as well, but I will be in San Jose tomorrow and LA Monday. :sadbanana:
:confused:

My God my stomach is in knots. Wings are going to be a very very tough out, this series is going to kill me.

going Saturday :pickle:
Going with my son tonight and my daughter Saturday. I'd be at the games in California as well, but I will be in San Jose tomorrow and LA Monday. :sadbanana:
:confused:
I just got back from the game with my son. Tomorrow, I go to San Jose for business and return to Chicago on Friday. Saturday, I take my daughter to the game. Monday, I go to LA. Unfortunately, kings/sharks are in la tomorrow and San Jose on Monday. :kicksrock:

ditka311 said:
Hawks64 said:
:X Hawks must think this is the same team as the Wild.
Man, are you all gloom and doom/Hawks apologist? I hope you are at least enjoying this win!
It's really amazing. If you didn't watch the games and just read his posts, you'd think the Blackhawks were the worst team in the league sometimes. Team already won a Cup. Everything else is gravy. Enjoy the ride.

ditka311 said:
Hawks64 said:
Man, are you all gloom and doom/Hawks apologist? I hope you are at least enjoying this win!
It's really amazing. If you didn't watch the games and just read his posts, you'd think the Blackhawks were the worst team in the league sometimes.Team already won a Cup. Everything else is gravy. Enjoy the ride.
They played like #### in the first. And generated a ton of terrible perimeter shots in the second. The third was a very good period. Sorry you can't see that. Sometimes they play like the worst team in the league. I expect a helluva lot better performance/effort from this team. For the majority of the series against the Wild it wasn't there. Effort was severely lacking from players not named Crawford, Kruger or Frolik. They start this series the same exact way, which is very reminiscent of the way they played the last two years.

ditka311 said:
Hawks64 said:
It's really amazing. If you didn't watch the games and just read his posts, you'd think the Blackhawks were the worst team in the league sometimes.Team already won a Cup. Everything else is gravy. Enjoy the ride.
The talent on this team should have them going deep in the playoffs every year, sorry I am not enjoying first round exists and crappy effort in the playoffs. :shrug:

:lmao:

amazing they put together the record they did this year without giving consistent effort and generally playing awful hockey.

only 5-1 in the playoffs too so they must really be dogging it.

I can't imagine how miserable you would be if your team was actually bad.

With a group as talented as Chicago it's difficult to watch their lackluster play knowing what they could accomplish. The recent success is sweet, but the potential is/has been there for more than just a single Cup, and the results of the last two years are not indicative of what the Blackhawks are capable of. Not saying that Chicago can win the Cup every year, but that their playoff efforts haven't always matched their potential.

It reminds me alot of the '85 Bears to be honest. The maligned franchise finally breaks through and reaches the pinnacle with a team so talent laden and overpowering the question is not "will they win another?", it's "how many will they win?". In the 3 year span after Chicago won Super Bowl XX no NFL team won more games than the Bears, and yet they epically failed in the playoffs, going 1 - 3. There is no doubt they underachieved.

Hawks64 comes off as doom and gloom alot but I get where he is coming from. Any long time Hawks fan is used to getting kicked in the stomach year after year so give him some time to lighten up. Hopefully another Cup or two will loosen him up.

:lmao:

amazing they put together the record they did this year without giving consistent effort and generally playing awful hockey.

only 5-1 in the playoffs too so they must really be dogging it.

I can't imagine how miserable you would be if your team was actually bad.
Like the mid 80s, mid 90s, and the early 2000s? I am well versed in watching bad Blackhawks hockey and I am not miserable at all but they have a window with Toews, Hossa, Kane and Sharp that they need to capitalize on. And I won't gloss over poor play just because they won. Toews and Kane haven't scored in the playoffs yet, for the elite talent that they are that's inexcusable IMO. And yes Toews' play outside of the score sheet has been very good but for a player that's compared to Datsyuk or Crosby he needs to score regardless of who he is playing against.

I don't expect first round exits with this team's talent, nor the lack of effort that has often existed since the second half of the season. They think they can just turn it on and win any game regardless of the effort. The second period last night was very reminiscent of the Phoenix series last year, tons of offensive zone time with a lot of perimeter shots. The third period was very good, traffic in front of the net, plays down the middle of the ice.

I understand being frustrated at times. That is standard with any team and even this year's Hawks team is not immune to stretches of uninspired play.

But, it's been a heck of a season so far and they are 5-1 now with at least 3 of those wins coming with a pretty comfortable margin. I'd try to enjoy this as much as you can because this type of team and these types of runs don't come around that often.

Just my :2cents:

I understand being frustrated at times. That is standard with any team and even this year's Hawks team is not immune to stretches of uninspired play.

But, it's been a heck of a season so far and they are 5-1 now with at least 3 of those wins coming with a pretty comfortable margin. I'd try to enjoy this as much as you can because this type of team and these types of runs don't come around that often.

Well said. I have a problem sometimes when my expectations are high to miss the enjoyment.

With a group as talented as Chicago it's difficult to watch their lackluster play knowing what they could accomplish. The recent success is sweet, but the potential is/has been there for more than just a single Cup, and the results of the last two years are not indicative of what the Blackhawks are capable of. Not saying that Chicago can win the Cup every year, but that their playoff efforts haven't always matched their potential.

It reminds me alot of the '85 Bears to be honest. The maligned franchise finally breaks through and reaches the pinnacle with a team so talent laden and overpowering the question is not "will they win another?", it's "how many will they win?". In the 3 year span after Chicago won Super Bowl XX no NFL team won more games than the Bears, and yet they epically failed in the playoffs, going 1 - 3. There is no doubt they underachieved.

Hawks64 comes off as doom and gloom alot but I get where he is coming from. Any long time Hawks fan is used to getting kicked in the stomach year after year so give him some time to lighten up. Hopefully another Cup or two will loosen him up.
I have expectations based on the talent on the roster. 2008/9 was an incredible run and I would have been ecstatic with a 2nd round appearance, but this team shouldn't be one and done in the playoffs at this point. They should be competing for the Western Conference regularly IMO.

Often during their run to start the season I was having all sorts of fun with it and enjoyed the hell out of it. But when they started the same play 20 minutes a game crap they have pulled the last two years it's very frustrating realizing that the talent they have won't be around forever and they are pissing opportunities away.

Users who are viewing this thread