What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Lost Season 6 *** (4 Viewers)

Can you guys clarify who/what Sayid is now? When he admitted he wasnt alright and didnt move a muscle to help Kate..did he die and is now some zombie-ish piece of the notLocke dark team puzzle? Or not die but is still on the evil team? Or is he still maybe good and plotting something and basically just geting close to the enemy?

Can you guys clarify who/what Sayid is now? When he admitted he wasnt alright and didnt move a muscle to help Kate..did he die and is now some zombie-ish piece of the notLocke dark team puzzle? Or not die but is still on the evil team? Or is he still maybe good and plotting something and basically just geting close to the enemy?
I took that as him having trouble dealing with just having murdered Dogen and Lennon and basically having sold his soul...

I took that as him having trouble dealing with just having murdered Dogen and Lennon and basically having sold his soul...
I have the same thoughts. Sayid has always contended that "I'm not that man anymore." It wouldn't surprise me in the least, if he somehow comes back around to being a good man in the end.

Ray Hueston said:
not the greatest of episodes but there was definitely the advancement of the sideways storyline, was that Charlie's brother in the police station that Sawyer blew off?
I'm pretty sure it was.
kupcho1 said:
PinkydaPimp said:
Ok. In an earlier episode, during a flash sideways, kate was escaping and sawyer was in an elevator with kate and other cops. They mentioned some sort of police code and he asked what that meant. Then he helped her escape. Shouldn't he have known that code being that he is a cop?
I don't think there is one sideways timeline, I think there are many, perhaps as many as there are for the sideways story we see. The Sawyer Kate saw in the elevator in Kate's story wasn't a cop. The Kate Sawyer tackles in Sawyer's story is still a criminal.
I'm going to disagree with this. He clearly recognized Kate at the end there.
Yes, but did he recognize her from the elevator, or from "island-recognition", like the Jack-Desmond thing on the plane? I agree that if Sawyer is a cop in Kate's flash-sideways, it doesn't make any sense that he would help her get away.

I have the same thoughts. Sayid has always contended that "I'm not that man anymore." It wouldn't surprise me in the least, if he somehow comes back around to being a good man in the end.
He will. Hence him being in the Judas spot in that last supper picture.

I like how Kate referred to him as notLocke too. "That is not Locke!" :lmao: Maybe this will help solidify what he is called in here.

So Sawyer is not a con man, but he is a cop. But he still is hunting down the con man who killed his father. It's different, but in another sense, he is the same.

That was probably the most ambiguous sideways flash yet.

So Sawyer is not a con man, but he is a cop. But he still is hunting down the con man who killed his father. It's different, but in another sense, he is the same.That was probably the most ambiguous sideways flash yet.
You think so? I'd say the majority of the sideways flashes we've seen show that the fundamental nature of the "sideways" character doesn't deviate much from what we've got to know in the previous on-island seasons.There are sometimes subtle, sometimes more overt differences, but the base of the character seems to be the same.The main difference would be Ben, but his "new" island self seems to be lining up with the sideways more altruistic Ben.Just me $.02

Sack-Religious said:
kupcho1 said:
PinkydaPimp said:
Ok. In an earlier episode, during a flash sideways, kate was escaping and sawyer was in an elevator with kate and other cops. They mentioned some sort of police code and he asked what that meant. Then he helped her escape. Shouldn't he have known that code being that he is a cop?
I don't think there is one sideways timeline, I think there are many, perhaps as many as there are for the sideways story we see. The Sawyer Kate saw in the elevator in Kate's story wasn't a cop. The Kate Sawyer tackles in Sawyer's story is still a criminal.
Interesting thought. But, didn't we see Jack and Locke's sideways timeline interconnect in seperate episodes?
Jack offered a consult to Locke in Locke's sideways story, but I don't recall any interaction that Jack had with Locke in the Jack sideways story. We did see Jack briefly in sideways Sayid, but who knows if that Jack had a son or offered a fellow 815 passenger a consult?

Ray Hueston said:
not the greatest of episodes but there was definitely the advancement of the sideways storyline, was that Charlie's brother in the police station that Sawyer blew off?
I'm pretty sure it was.
kupcho1 said:
PinkydaPimp said:
Yes, but did he recognize her from the elevator, or from "island-recognition", like the Jack-Desmond thing on the plane? I agree that if Sawyer is a cop in Kate's flash-sideways, it doesn't make any sense that he would help her get away.
He couldn't arrest Kate in the elevator. He wasn't supposed to be there. The LAPD would discover that Ford was in Australia and not in Florida.

So Sawyer is not a con man, but he is a cop. But he still is hunting down the con man who killed his father. It's different, but in another sense, he is the same.That was probably the most ambiguous sideways flash yet.
I guess the act of Jacob handing little Ford a pen to write his feelings out sent him on the path to becoming a con man. If Jacob doesn't give him that pen, he becomes a cop.

I'm pretty sure it was.

kupcho1 said:
PinkydaPimp said:
He couldn't arrest Kate in the elevator. He wasn't supposed to be there. The LAPD would discover that Ford was in Australia and not in Florida.
Ridiculous.He didn't have to arrest her. Two cops came into the elevator (IIRC); they could have done it.

Sawyer: "Why are you wearing handcuffs, miss?"

Cops: "You're under arrest"

Sawyer: :hot:

And he asked them a question about the code. Why bother? Or do you think they might randomly think he looked like a detective.

You think so? I'd say the majority of the sideways flashes we've seen show that the fundamental nature of the "sideways" character doesn't deviate much from what we've got to know in the previous on-island seasons.There are sometimes subtle, sometimes more overt differences, but the base of the character seems to be the same.The main difference would be Ben, but his "new" island self seems to be lining up with the sideways more altruistic Ben.Just me $.02
I guess I see a huge positive shift in him being a cop instead of a con man. But his nature was essentially the same. Dunno.

So Sawyer is not a con man, but he is a cop. But he still is hunting down the con man who killed his father. It's different, but in another sense, he is the same.

You think so? I'd say the majority of the sideways flashes we've seen show that the fundamental nature of the "sideways" character doesn't deviate much from what we've got to know in the previous on-island seasons.There are sometimes subtle, sometimes more overt differences, but the base of the character seems to be the same.

The main difference would be Ben, but his "new" island self seems to be lining up with the sideways more altruistic Ben.

Just me $.02
I guess I see a huge positive shift in him being a cop instead of a con man. But his nature was essentially the same. Dunno.
Seriously?

You think so? I'd say the majority of the sideways flashes we've seen show that the fundamental nature of the "sideways" character doesn't deviate much from what we've got to know in the previous on-island seasons.There are sometimes subtle, sometimes more overt differences, but the base of the character seems to be the same.

The main difference would be Ben, but his "new" island self seems to be lining up with the sideways more altruistic Ben.

Just me $.02
Seriously?
:hot: Life of crime vs life of law, or however Sawyer put it in the episode.

not a particularly great episode... but it did make me wonder if he still had drinks with Christian in Austrailia, killed the wrong dude, and got arrested down there.

I tend to believe personality is set at a very young age, like age 2. Your life experiences can bring out aspects of the personality that is already there. Knowledge you acquire can do the same. But such things are not changing your personality. It has already been set.

Just me $.02
Seriously?
:lmao: Life of crime vs life of law, or however Sawyer put it in the episode.
Motivation is exactly the same. Still influenced by/looking for revenge on the man who caused his father to commit a murder/suicide. Not sure why that's such a positive shift.

I tend to believe personality is set at a very young age, like age 2. Your life experiences can bring out aspects of the personality that is already there. Knowledge you acquire can do the same. But such things are not changing your personality. It has already been set.
:lmao: I like how you make a definitive statement, contradict yourself, and then make the same definitive statement. Nice work. :lmao:

Ray Hueston said:
I'm pretty sure it was.
kupcho1 said:
PinkydaPimp said:
yes, from the elevator in kate's flash sideways

Sack-Religious said:
Capella said:
Why wouldn't the smoke monster just go over there and kill Widmore and that crew? I didn't think the ash shtick worked anymore.

Also, what is Widmore's interest in being there now? I either forget or don't know. It's been a while since his story was a focus.
Widmore was slated and groomed to be the next leader of The Others before Ben usurped him.It appears that people who are candidates and who've been touched by Jacob cannot be killed by the smoke monster or die by their own hand. If Charles Widmore was supposed to be the leader, it's a fairly safe assumption that smokey can't kill him.

Widmore's been trying to get back and presumably take control of the island since Ben kicked him off.
I tend to agree here. Per their conversation, Sawyer tells notLocke that he can just kill Widmore and notLocke says nothing that I recall (probably just had a smirk on his face like "oh you think it's that easy?"). Maybe this is how Ben gets back in again...

:PLife of crime vs life of law, or however Sawyer put it in the episode.
Motivation is exactly the same. Still influenced by/looking for revenge on the man who caused his father to commit a murder/suicide. Not sure why that's such a positive shift.
Oh, I agree that his nature hasn't changed. I've said as much.Just the occupation thing seems positive to me. He isn't spending his days swindling people out of their money.But who knows? Maybe he is abusing his law enforcement position. But that is guessing at something we haven't seen. Yet? :D

:( I like how you make a definitive statement, contradict yourself, and then make the same definitive statement. Nice work. :thumbup:
How did I contradict myself? Bringing out an aspect of your personality is not the same as changing it.For example, Ben Linus is a killer. He's probably been a killer since a small boy. The Ben of both timelines is a killer. But perhaps history-teacher Ben has never been put in a situation where he's under serious pressure to kill someone.

Sack-Religious said:
Capella said:
Why wouldn't the smoke monster just go over there and kill Widmore and that crew? I didn't think the ash shtick worked anymore.

Also, what is Widmore's interest in being there now? I either forget or don't know. It's been a while since his story was a focus.
Widmore was slated and groomed to be the next leader of The Others before Ben usurped him.It appears that people who are candidates and who've been touched by Jacob cannot be killed by the smoke monster or die by their own hand. If Charles Widmore was supposed to be the leader, it's a fairly safe assumption that smokey can't kill him.

Widmore's been trying to get back and presumably take control of the island since Ben kicked him off.
I tend to agree here. Per their conversation, Sawyer tells notLocke that he can just kill Widmore and notLocke says nothing that I recall (probably just had a smirk on his face like "oh you think it's that easy?"). Maybe this is how Ben gets back in again...
Thinking about Ben meeting Widmore in his apartment in the middle of the night in this scene:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkOsImjXcQs

1. Widmore claimed Ben could not kill him.

2. Apparently the "rules" can be "changed", such as Widmore killing Alex, which then allows Ben to kill Penelope. So perhaps some "rules" are gentlemen's agreements, or rules of engagement, rather than immutable laws of the cosmos.

Did we ever find out why Jacks dad was hanging with Claire in Jacobs house
Jack's dad was MIB/Norwood/Fake Locke. He takes the form of dead people.
And man-killing tiny spiders.Also, it is possible that Jacob has the same ability. Just because we haven't seen it confirmed on-screen yet doesn't mean he can't. Actually, I hate this, because we essentially have to consider the smoke monster and Jacob to be gods until we find out just what exactly they are, but that's how it is written.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao: I like how you make a definitive statement, contradict yourself, and then make the same definitive statement. Nice work.

:thumbdown:
How did I contradict myself? Bringing out an aspect of your personality is not the same as changing it.For example, Ben Linus is a killer. He's probably been a killer since a small boy. The Ben of both timelines is a killer. But perhaps history-teacher Ben has never been put in a situation where he's under serious pressure to kill someone.
:mellow: You're ####### priceless. Don't ever change.

:rolleyes: I like how you make a definitive statement, contradict yourself, and then make the same definitive statement. Nice work.

:lmao:
:mellow: You're ####### priceless. Don't ever change.
I have no idea what is so funny about that.

Jack offered a consult to Locke in Locke's sideways story, but I don't recall any interaction that Jack had with Locke in the Jack sideways story. We did see Jack briefly in sideways Sayid, but who knows if that Jack had a son or offered a fellow 815 passenger a consult?
Jack offered Locke a consult in the first episode of the season, which wasn't a flash sideways for any one character, in particular. Then, both Kate and Locke's sideways lines continued on from that point. To me, that points to them being one continuous sideways arc.

Ray Hueston said:
not the greatest of episodes but there was definitely the advancement of the sideways storyline, was that Charlie's brother in the police station that Sawyer blew off?I thought the Little House on the Prairie scene was great.
Yes, that was Charlie's brother in the police station. He must of been there to bail Charlie out after he was arrested on the plane for possession.

I need to rewatch the episode sober, but I remember finding last night to be very boring. And I sure hope Widmore isn't stupid enough to fall for Sawyer's trap. That would be disappointing.

~~~~~~~

How come Sawyer gets to bang all the hot chicks on this show? Anna Lucia, Kate, Juliette, Charlotte and a couple of other minor female characters from his flashback episodes. Can't they throw something one of the other characters way? Poor Hurley only had Libby and she got shot. Charlie was after Claire for seasons, never hit it and then got drowned for his trouble. And now she's bat#### crazy and still stuck on the island! :yucky:

:thumbup: I like how you make a definitive statement, contradict yourself, and then make the same definitive statement. Nice work.

:lmao: You're ####### priceless. Don't ever change.
Oh, I don't know, maybe your notion that a 2 year old has a set personality as a killer?Seriously, though, keep bringin' the crazy. :lmao:

I need to rewatch the episode sober, but I remember finding last night to be very boring. And I sure hope Widmore isn't stupid enough to fall for Sawyer's trap. That would be disappointing.~~~~~~~How come Sawyer gets to bang all the hot chicks on this show? Anna Lucia, Kate, Juliette, Charlotte and a couple of other minor female characters from his flashback episodes. Can't they throw something one of the other characters way? Poor Hurley only had Libby and she got shot. Charlie was after Claire for seasons, never hit it and then got drowned for his trouble. And now she's bat#### crazy and still stuck on the island! :thumbup:
Maybe the real message behind this show is that women like bad boys.

:rolleyes:

I like how you make a definitive statement, contradict yourself, and then make the same definitive statement. Nice work.

:lmao: You're ####### priceless. Don't ever change.
Oh, I don't know, maybe your notion that a 2 year old has a set personality as a killer?Seriously, though, keep bringin' the crazy. :lmao:
Why is that notion funny? There's plenty of disagreement over when personalities become set.http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22554554/

Personality may be set by preschool

Study finds shy kids stay shy while rambunctious tots withdraw some

By Linda Carroll

msnbc.com contributor

updated 5:44 a.m. PT, Tues., Jan. 15, 2008

Ever wonder if that quiet girl who hid in the back corner of the classroom ever burst out of her shell? Perhaps she became a whiz at computers. And what about the class clown? Did all his attention-grabbing antics develop into a charm that would later earn him big bucks selling timeshares in Bermuda?

New research shows that in most cases the personalities displayed very early in life — as young as preschool — will stay with us into adulthood.

The new study, which appears in the February issue of the Journal of Personality, followed 103 kids for 19 years, starting when they were age 4 and ending when they hit their early 20s. To get an initial sense of the preschoolers’ personalities, the researchers surveyed both teachers and parents when the children were ages 4, 5 and 6. Based on the observations of their parents and teachers, the children were identified as having one of three personality types: overcontrolled, undercontrolled or resilient.

The overcontrolled kids were generally the ones most of us would categorize as shy: quiet, self-conscious, uncomfortable around strangers. “Overcontrollers control their emotions too much,” explains Dennissen. “So they are less able to act ‘natural’ and ‘spontaneous.’ Because they are so slow to warm up, they are seen by others as shy.”

Undercontrollers have too little control over impulses, Dennissen says. “When they feel frustrated they may act aggressively towards others, notwithstanding the negative consequences.”

The resilient kids are the ones in the middle who are good at modulating their emotions, interacting with others and bouncing back from adversity.

Some Mature Faster Than Others

Over the course of the study, Dennissen and his colleagues checked back in on the kids through questionnaires filled out by the parents every year up until the children were 10, and then again when the children reached the ages of 12, 17 and 23.

Interestingly, compared to the resilient children, both undercontrollers and overcontrollers took longer to move into adult roles, such as leaving home, starting a romantic relationship or finding a career. Accomplishing these milestones requires social adeptness that over- and undercontrollers may take longer to develop.

Why is that notion funny? There's plenty of disagreement over when personalities become set.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22554554/

By Linda Carroll

msnbc.com contributor

Ever wonder if that quiet girl who hid in the back corner of the classroom ever burst out of her shell? Perhaps she became a whiz at computers. And what about the class clown? Did all his attention-grabbing antics develop into a charm that would later earn him big bucks selling timeshares in Bermuda?

New research shows that in most cases the personalities displayed very early in life — as young as preschool — will stay with us into adulthood.

The new study, which appears in the February issue of the Journal of Personality, followed 103 kids for 19 years, starting when they were age 4 and ending when they hit their early 20s. To get an initial sense of the preschoolers’ personalities, the researchers surveyed both teachers and parents when the children were ages 4, 5 and 6. Based on the observations of their parents and teachers, the children were identified as having one of three personality types: overcontrolled, undercontrolled or resilient.

The overcontrolled kids were generally the ones most of us would categorize as shy: quiet, self-conscious, uncomfortable around strangers. “Overcontrollers control their emotions too much,” explains Dennissen. “So they are less able to act ‘natural’ and ‘spontaneous.’ Because they are so slow to warm up, they are seen by others as shy.”

Undercontrollers have too little control over impulses, Dennissen says. “When they feel frustrated they may act aggressively towards others, notwithstanding the negative consequences.”

The resilient kids are the ones in the middle who are good at modulating their emotions, interacting with others and bouncing back from adversity.

Over the course of the study, Dennissen and his colleagues checked back in on the kids through questionnaires filled out by the parents every year up until the children were 10, and then again when the children reached the ages of 12, 17 and 23.

Interestingly, compared to the resilient children, both undercontrollers and overcontrollers took longer to move into adult roles, such as leaving home, starting a romantic relationship or finding a career. Accomplishing these milestones requires social adeptness that over- and undercontrollers may take longer to develop.
So I can be done with parenting my 3.5 year old? He is a PITA (not a Ben Linus PITA, but still), so this would be a pretty big relief.

Why is that notion funny? There's plenty of disagreement over when personalities become set.

By Linda Carroll

msnbc.com contributor

I stand corrected. The passage on the 2 year old serial killer swayed me.

By Linda Carroll

msnbc.com contributor

So I can be done with parenting my 3.5 year old? He is a PITA (not a Ben Linus PITA, but still), so this would be a pretty big relief.
I did not mean to infer that having a set personality meant that you were fully capable of being an adult.

By Linda Carroll

msnbc.com contributor

I stand corrected. The passage on the 2 year old serial killer swayed me.
I wasn't trying to sway anyone. There is no definitive answer.

:wall: I like how you make a definitive statement, contradict yourself, and then make the same definitive statement. Nice work. :lmao:
I think I see kupcho's error. I said "I tend to believe" and he misread that as me making a definitive statement of fact, which I was not.

Users who are viewing this thread