What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you feel about Cutler now? (current info on pg 46) (3 Viewers)

guess I had actually posted this in another cutty thread

Kool-Aid Larry said:
Sweetness_34 said:
Ghost Rider said:
Cutler hasn't played 16 games since 2009, and while he did play 15 games in two of those four seasons, he seems to get dinged up a bit every year. In other words, better make sure you get a good backup, cause you'll likely need him.

It's also noteworthy that despite having those weapons to throw to last year, he was't exactly lighting it up. 19 TD passes in 11 games isn't lighting the world on fire.

Buyer beware.
Reason he did not light it up as much was it was his first year in that O and remember, McCown got the easier part of the schedule - Cowboys; Vikings; Lions; part of the Redskins game; Packers. When Cutler played against the VIkings in week 2 and Packers in last game of year, he did light them up. So it was just bad luck that he was injured during the easier part of the schedule....Bears have the Vikings; Lions; Packers; Cowboys again on their schedule in addition to bad pass Ds from the NFC South (Falcons; Bucs and even Panthers are bad at pass D) and AFC East (Jets and Bills are terrible against the pass and Bills just lost their best playmaker on D)
here's mccown's easier part of the schedule:

cowboys --- this is actually correct, mccown did play this team

vikings --- they both played minny

packers --- they both played the packers, as chronicled by an above poster

part of the redskins game --- cutler's part amounted to 28 yds and a pick on 3 of 8, so I assume he had the harder part of this game

lions --- mccown threw a total of 9 balls vs detroit, but I'll assume he got the easier part of those games as he completed 6 for 62 yds and a score

meanwhile, cutler threw 87 balls against detroit completing 55%, a figure 35 qb bettered on the year

he did light them up for 283 yds/game, along with a total of 3 td and 4 picks in those 2 games

Last edited by a moderator:
oh, also this was in the other thread

Kool-Aid Larry said:
I want to steal a few quotes from PFF about mccown

• Josh McCown led the league in QB Rating (134.4), success percentage (60.0%), Accuracy Percentage (88.7%), completion percentage (74.5%), and yards per attempt (11.0) in the 2.6-to-3.0-second range. [time to throw]
• Anyone surprised to see Josh McCown lead the league in most major categories under pressure?

Last year McCown played in front of one of the worst pass blocking lines in the league in Chicago as right tackle Jordan Mills led the league in pressures allowed at 78 while left tackle Jermon Bushrod was average.

Last year the Bears offensive line allowed 31 pressures for every 100 snaps

He topped the league in PFF Grade (+8.9), QB Rating (112.2), Accuracy Percentage (79.7%), and yards per attempt (8.6) under pressure
[when pressured by blitz] • This is yet another area where Josh McCown shined, at least for a year. He led the league in QB Rating (148.7), success percentage (48.3%), Accuracy Percentage (83.3%), and yards/attempt (11.8) among other things.
107.6 QB rating on play action
7-8 Yd dropbacks (5-step game)

• Josh McCown ranked fifth at +15.7 to go with a league-leading 121.2 QB Rating and 51.7% success percentage on 116 drop backs.
jay cutler on the other hand........

• Graded at -4.4 when pressured including -5.3 against blitz pressure.
jay threw a quarter of his balls in the aforementioned 2.6 - 3.0 second window, which is the third highest % in the league -- here are his results

QB Rating (62.7), success percentage (38.3%), Accuracy Percentage (63.8%), completion percentage (51.6%), and yards per attempt (7.1)
80.9 QB rating on play action
7-8 Yds (5-step game)

- 2.1 PFF grade, 90 QB Rating and 38.2% success percentage on 178 drop backs.
pretty sure cutty's already thinking as little as possible

1. No one is going to trade for Cutler and his $15M-$16M guaranteed salary the next two years

2. The Bears gain nothing by cutting him.

3. Like it or not, he'll be the Bears QB for two more years.

1. No one is going to trade for Cutler and his $15M-$16M guaranteed salary the next two years

I don't know if i'd say for sure noone will trade for him at 15m salary. Someone might if the price was low enough.

[sweetness_34] This next year will be his year. The new coaching staff will straighten everything out and all the weapons and the line is better and Jay knows it is his last chance. They will destroy everyone. [/sweetness_34]

and let me know when mccown has a career stretch remotely as good as cutler
That argument actually works against Cutler. He was badly outplayed by a career backup in the same offense with the same players.

But hey, if McCown ever gets to start a whole season for a team, I am sure he could lead the league in interceptions like Cutler has twice.

[sweetness_34] This next year will be his year. The new coaching staff will straighten everything out and all the weapons and the line is better and Jay knows it is his last chance. They will destroy everyone. [/sweetness_34]
He made a good decision and left.

I don't know if i'd say for sure noone will trade for him at 15m salary. Someone might if the price was low enough.
Someone would definitely trade for him.

The Cardinals, Bills, and Texans appear to be the proverbial 'a QB away'.

- Cardinals (way over the cap right now but could cut Fitz, Palmer and Dockett and be close)

- Bills (good shape with Orton retiring)

- Texans (slightly under the cap but could make some cuts to make it work)

I will guarantee you o'brien is not trading for cutler

I've been reading some blurbs about rex ryan taking that bills job and bringing trestman in as oc, so gl with that.

The Cardinals, Bills, and Texans appear to be the proverbial 'a QB away'.

- Cardinals (way over the cap right now but could cut Fitz, Palmer and Dockett and be close)

- Bills (good shape with Orton retiring)

- Texans (slightly under the cap but could make some cuts to make it work)
And if the QB's in the draft don't test particularly well the Bucs, Titans, and Jets could all be interested as well.

Rotoworld:

Jay Cutler has a "strong, personal relationship" with new QBs coach Dowell Loggains, and Cutler lobbied for the Bears to hire Loggains when Lovie Smith was still head coach.
The Bears' hire of Loggains under new coach John Fox suggests the team intends to keep Cutler for 2015, despite speculation Cutler could be traded. It's believed Loggains won't be "afraid to challenge Cutler, which the quarterback welcomes." A former Titans assistant, Loggains reportedly "pushed hard" for Tennessee to draft Cutler over Vince Young in 2006. Almost all signs point to Cutler remaining the Bears' quarterback in 2015.

Source: ESPN.com
Jan 25 - 5:11 PM

Rotoworld:

Jay Cutler has a "strong, personal relationship" with new QBs coach Dowell Loggains, and Cutler lobbied for the Bears to hire Loggains when Lovie Smith was still head coach.
The Bears' hire of Loggains under new coach John Fox suggests the team intends to keep Cutler for 2015, despite speculation Cutler could be traded. It's believed Loggains won't be "afraid to challenge Cutler, which the quarterback welcomes." A former Titans assistant, Loggains reportedly "pushed hard" for Tennessee to draft Cutler over Vince Young in 2006. Almost all signs point to Cutler remaining the Bears' quarterback in 2015.

Jan 25 - 5:11 PM
The biggest sign is that teams aren't going to trade a high draft pick to get Cutler and his $15M salary. They don't have much choice but to roll with him for the time being.

I won't be surprised if they take a QB in the 2nd round, maybe Grayson, and move on from him in 2016.

Rotoworld:

Coach John Fox was noncommittal Wednesday when asked about Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall's futures with the Bears.

"I don't think there's any question there's ability and talent there," Fox said of Cutler. "But there's a lot more that goes into it." Fox also hinted at reservations about Marshall's participation on HBO's in-season Inside the NFL show. Combined with the NFL's quarterback shortage, Cutler's contract still makes it likely the Bears retain him. Marshall's future is less assured because the Bears could save cap dollars by moving on. It sounds like the Bears haven't made final decisions on either player. Marshall would be more likely to get the boot.

Related: Brandon Marshall

Source: Jeff Dickerson on Twitter
Feb 18 - 11:22 AM

I wouldn't bet on there being a trade partner willing to take on the risk with the combination of the baggage Cutler brings between his salary and his PR history. And committing to him for one year is almost - I emphasize the almost b/c obviously 2015 could go horribly and this could be his last chance - like committing to him for two years with that 10 mil guaranteed toward 2016.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Bears reporter Michael C. Wright reports $10 million of Jay Cutler's 2016 base salary becomes guaranteed if he's on the Bears' roster next Tuesday.

As Wright puts it, the Bears would be committing to Cutler, not only for 2015, but also for 2016 if they decide to keep him. To this point, neither coach John Fox nor GM Ryan Pace has come out and publicly backed Cutler as the team's quarterback. All the two have said is that they planned to sit down with Cutler in the coming weeks. The Bears really don't have any better options than Cutler.

Source: ESPN Chicago
Mar 4 - 10:33 AM

The most fun I have every year is watching this guy implode. He MUST NOT go to a structured system where he limits risk. He needs to remain the cocky gunslinger who pulls defeat from the jaws of victory and keeps this thread humming along!

KCitons said:
Didn't have a chance to post earlier. I'm good with the decision to trade Marshall. Regardless of off field or locker room stuff, I think too many of Cutlers interceptions were because he forced throws to Marshall. They will bring in a vet and probably draft a WR in the 4th or 5th round.

I wasn't booking my Super Bowl travel plans this year anyway. Might as well scorch the earth and start over.

Rotoworld:

Sources tell ESPN's Chris Mortensen the Bears fully expect Jay Cutler to be their quarterback in 2015.

Following an ugly implosion under pass-game guru Marc Trestman last year, new coach John Fox and GM Ryan Pace have been publicly noncommittal on Cutler's status. Mortensen's source claims there's "absolutely no truth" to recent reports the big-armed quarterback is being shopped for a trade and added he will not be released. In fact, new offensive coordinator Adam Gase has been developing a playbook that will accentuate Cutler's strengths. Note that $10 million of Cutler's $16 million 2016 salary becomes guaranteed if he's on the roster as of Thursday at 4pm ET. This all sounds nice, but it's very possible the Bears had no options with Cutler due to his salary, questionable leadership skills and bloated salary. There were no takers.

Mar 10 - 7:15 AM

Mess of situation - the Bears can't cut him since his 2015 salary is guaranteed and now they are guaranteeing him another $10M next year that will cost them a $13M cap hit if he's cut.

Rotoworld:

Various sources tell CSN Chicago that the Bears plan to "take some things away" from Jay Cutler in 2015, and "shrink the game for him."

Realizing there's no trade market for Cutler, the Bears are shifting their focus toward how to limit his mistakes. Cutler was a disastrous audibler in 2014, and giving him less freedom at the line of scrimmage would seem to be an easy way to cut down on his "rogue" tendencies. It's easier said than done, of course. Regardless of Cutler's receptiveness to the idea of less freedom, that's what he's going to get under conservative coach John Fox. It's for the best.

Source: CSN Chicago

Mar 10 - 12:03 PM

Rotoworld take:

New Bears coach John Fox suspects Jay Cutler's 2014 performance collapsed due to a lack of confidence.
"To build that back up, it’s going to take time, daily," Fox said. "It takes trust, like any relationship." Fox also plans to field a "strong running game" to support Cutler, using the Cowboys as an example. "Football-wise, there are things you can do in coaching to minimize some of the exposure," Fox said. "Playing defense. Playing complementary football is going to be something that helps. I liken it a little bit, not being critical, to Tony Romo. ... I thought he had one of his better seasons a year ago with that same kind of build-up. With success comes confidence."

Source: Chicago Tribune
Mar 25 - 8:01 PM

Users who are viewing this thread