What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What do you want for....? (2 Viewers)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
Do you have this guy in your league?

Other guy: What do you want for Ja'Marr Chase?

Me: Well, me and Ja'Marr Chase are just hanging out, having a good time. We get along pretty good.

Other guy: Any interest in trading him? If yes, what from my team would you want?

Me: So you want Chase, but you want me to do the homework?

Other guy: Offers Skyy Moore and a 2025 1st for Chase

Me: Thanks for the offer, but we're not on the same planet.

Other guy: No counter?

I mean the dynasty league I'm in is predominantly made up of players who are fairly competent, but either a simple "if you've not got anything sensible to say, don't say anything" or a counter of market value + getting an additional first rounder usually works. Heck, he might be so clueless to accept the latter, then profit

I think it's ok to reach out and ask if someone has interest in moving a pick or player, but if you're going after an elite, early first startup dynasty player, you have to come with something strong. Skyy and a '25 1st is just stupid and a waste of time.

edited out the last part since it's a hypo.

Last edited:
This was a hypothetical offer. I'm amazed how many times a person is afraid to make an offer for a player he/she wants, but instead wants you to make the first offer and said player wasn't even on the market. It's fine if someone says, "Do you have any interest in trading Chase?". I might say no, or I might say yes, depending on the offer. I then put the ball back in his court. I make a lot of trades, but I must say that 90+% of them are offers I initiate. That's because I know what I want and go after it.

I don't mind sending or receiving offers where one side tells the other side who he has any interest in, and asks which players the other guy has interest in.
If I want chase, I'd tell the other guy I want chase, and ask which players or picks would be of interest.
I much prefer that starting point to just pissing in the wind with random offers.

Both sides may get a more preferable deal that way.

I don't mind sending or receiving offers where one side tells the other side who he has any interest in, and asks which players the other guy has interest in.
If I want chase, I'd tell the other guy I want chase, and ask which players or picks would be of interest.
I much prefer that starting point to just pissing in the wind with random offers.

Both sides lay get a more preferable deal that way.
I believe if an owner wants my Chase it is fine to ask if I have any interest in trading him, but it is on him to make a good offer (do the homework), not me, unless I feel obliged to. Like I said, 90% of the trades I make are initiated by me. I try to make a good 1st offer.

Last edited:

I believe if an owner wants my Chase it is fine to ask if I have any interest in trading him, but it is on him to make a good offer (do the homework), not me, unless I feel obliged to. Like I said, 90% of the trades I make are initiated by me.
Yeah I agree. Nothing wrong with asking. Especially with a guy like Chase who some players might just say is untouchable. But they should be prepared to make the first offer.

I believe if an owner wants my Chase it is fine to ask if I have any interest in trading him, but it is on him to make a good offer (do the homework), not me, unless I feel obliged to. Like I said, 90% of the trades I make are initiated by me. I try to make a good 1st offer.
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with asking if there’s anything on my team of interest. The other owner can reply, then I have an idea of what he’s looking for, then I make a reasonable offer.

I believe if an owner wants my Chase it is fine to ask if I have any interest in trading him, but it is on him to make a good offer (do the homework), not me, unless I feel obliged to. Like I said, 90% of the trades I make are initiated by me.
Yeah I agree. Nothing wrong with asking. Especially with a guy like Chase who some players might just say is untouchable. But they should be prepared to make the first offer.
Of course, but if I don't know what you have any interest in, it makes it much harder for me, and probably wastes more of your time as well.

Not just the first offer, but a very good offer. Not a BS offer, then say counter? Really wanting you to serve.

I would consider it part of "doing the homework" by asking which of my assets you have interest in considering everyone has different values for players and picks

I would consider it part of "doing the homework" by asking which of my assets you have interest in considering everyone has different values for players and picks
Well, if he has Jefferson I would say I like him. If he has the 1.01 and Gibbs I would say I like them. I would at least think about some kind of trade involving them.

It's ok to inquire if I'm open to trading someone, but I hate the "What do you want for xxx?". I'll never answer that question unless it's a player who I have already publicly put on the trade block. If you want one of my players, it's incumbent on you to make the first offer. I'll either reject it with a comment that we're not close in value, or, if it is close I might make a counter. Don't ask me to do the work of looking through your roster to come up with a reasonable trade offer for a player I'm not actively looking to trade.

Well, if he has Jefferson I would say I like him. If he has the 1.01 and Gibbs I would say I like them. I would at least think about some kind of trade involving them.
Usually it's for lower end guys than Chase anyway. Say a guy has Tyreek or Davante or something.
My roster might have 100 different combinations of deals where the value adds up just fine.
By asking who/what is of any interest, maybe that can be cut down to 10 or less, which cuts down on the offers the guy won't like, and might actually facilitate a deal.

It's ok to inquire if I'm open to trading someone, but I hate the "What do you want for xxx?". I'll never answer that question unless it's a player who I have already publicly put on the trade block. If you want one of my players, it's incumbent on you to make the first offer. I'll either reject it with a comment that we're not close in value, or, if it is close I might make a counter. Don't ask me to do the work of looking through your roster to come up with a reasonable trade offer for a player I'm not actively looking to trade.
It's likely gonna save your time, not waste your time, to take 25 seconds and list your interests.

This was a hypothetical offer. I'm amazed how many times a person is afraid to make an offer for a player he/she wants, but instead wants you to make the first offer and said player wasn't even on the market. It's fine if someone says, "Do you have any interest in trading Chase?". I might say no, or I might say yes, depending on the offer. I then put the ball back in his court. I make a lot of trades, but I must say that 90+% of them are offers I initiate. That's because I know what I want and go after it.
I’ve consistently pushed back on 1 owner. They will highlight a player then say interested make me an offer. I ask they send out an initial offer and I will look at it. They refuse. Every time. And throw a fit when I push it.

I've also had guys inquire, I then list their players/picks of interest to me, and they either don't make offers or start offering me stuff I didn't list.
Both are annoying.

When talking about older players that might still be a #1/#2 for another year, but mostly likely irrelevant in 3 years, asking can make a lot of sense. Talking about the Keenan, Adams, Kupp, Evans, Diggs, Henry, A Jones, types that were recently elites but age is catching up quickly. I can see the value in players like them all over the place and varying a lot depending team situation and leagues.

Still, if I'm approaching someone with the trade or talks I still think it helps to throw so thing out there.

I've also had guys inquire, I then list their players/picks of interest to me, and they either don't make offers or start offering me stuff I didn't list.
Both are annoying.
Getting offered stuff you're seriously not interested in is very annoying. Even worse when they continue to push and go total used car lot dealer and explain why your opinion is wrong.

It's ok to inquire if I'm open to trading someone, but I hate the "What do you want for xxx?". I'll never answer that question unless it's a player who I have already publicly put on the trade block. If you want one of my players, it's incumbent on you to make the first offer.

It is almost as if you have read Negotiation 101 and are surprised when the other party has done the same

Do you have this guy in your league?

Other guy: What do you want for Ja'Marr Chase?

Me: Well, me and Ja'Marr Chase are just hanging out, having a good time. We get along pretty good.

Other guy: Any interest in trading him? If yes, what from my team would you want?

Me: So you want Chase, but you want me to do the homework?

Other guy: Offers Skyy Moore and a 2025 1st for Chase

Me: Thanks for the offer, but we're not on the same planet.

Other guy: No counter?
That is pretty much 12 of the other 15 guys in my 16 team league. “I’m interested in Jefferson. Make me an offer.”

Most guys in my league are like that, asking about players, no offers

Which really is an advantage. Now I control the discussion. Oh you want that guy?

That's not the way to do it.

I don't really care a lot either way but IMO when someone sends me the "I'm interested in this guy, what would it take" line I generally view it was as their attempt to be respectful and not send me an offer I might view as insulting. There is a lot of trade back and forth that annoys me, this is not one of them.

If I'm interested in selling the player that was enquired about, then I'd look through what they own, ask for more of it than I'd need to move the player, and expect some negotiations to ensue thereafter.

If I wasn't interested in selling them, I'd state such and that they'd need to part with a substantial haul for me to even consider it.

I’ve sent out 6-8 different trade combos to other owners when I’m interested in a player on their team and let them sort out what they might like or not like. At least with multiple offers they can see what I’m interested in trading and maybe come up with some combo of players and picks that they like and I hadn’t thought of. Sometimes one of them works most of the time they don’t. And I usually send out offers where I way overpay and I still rarely make trades. Latest one that went unaccepted was 1.10/DK Metcalf for 1.05.

Rejected.

I’ve sent out 6-8 different trade combos to other owners when I’m interested in a player on their team and let them sort out what they might like or not like. At least with multiple offers they can see what I’m interested in trading and maybe come up with some combo of players and picks that they like and I hadn’t thought of. Sometimes one of them works most of the time they don’t. And I usually send out offers where I way overpay and I still rarely make trades. Latest one that went unaccepted was 1.10/DK Metcalf for 1.05.

Rejected.
That is more that players usually value players already on their rosters more than others do.

I went through this with Mahomes in a 16-team SF.

Team with no QB: “I’m still interested in Mahomes. What would you need for him?”

Me, with Mahomes as my only QB (unless Brisett starts, but that’s hardly a long-term solution): Well, a lot.

TWNQB: OK, I’m willing to pay a lot.

Me: ok, I have him valued at 5x 1sts in this format. Send me 1.02, 1.04, 1.10, your 2025 extra 1st (from the worst team in the league), a 2nd tier LB, and JSN.

Him: “whoa whoa whoa, that’s way too much - I’ll give you 1.02 & 1.04 for him.”

Me: Then I’m in the same boat at you, but instead of Mahomes I have another WR & the 3rd best QB in this draft. You asked what it would take for me to sell him. That’s my response. That gives me a shot at rebuilding without him and only IF I hit on a couple QB picks this year & next.

Him: “I might as well just use the picks for that price”

Me: “now you understand where I’m at. Best of luck drafting the next Mahomes I guess.” :shrug:

Rejected.
That is more that players usually value players already on their rosters more than others do.
Can you reword that?

I have started doing this recently, actually. Sans the terrible offer part. If they decline to make a specific offer, I'll make a reasonable offer myself (if they even seemed interested). But the "What would it take" opener is a nice way to potentially get their offer on the table first.

I don't really care a lot either way but IMO when someone sends me the "I'm interested in this guy, what would it take" line I generally view it was as their attempt to be respectful and not send me an offer I might view as insulting. There is a lot of trade back and forth that annoys me, this is not one of them.
If the same owner only sends you Il interested in so and so and never sends an offer…regardless of requests. Do you just send out some offers back or how would you play that?

Rejected.
Can you reword that?
Yes I can.

The consensus value of a receiver may be a 2nd rounder. But the owner likes him a lot more, thus on his roster and he would think he is worth a 1st for trading purposes.

That could sometimes be the case, but I’ve found that interested buyer teams want to avoid overpaying too much and hope that the would-be seller sets the initial baseline compensation. Obviously every person/league is different though.

I have started doing this recently, actually. Sans the terrible offer part. If they decline to make a specific offer, I'll make a reasonable offer myself (if they even seemed interested). But the "What would it take" opener is a nice way to potentially get their offer on the table first.
Exactly this.

I will always try to give my trade partner some rope to hang themselves with as a conversation starter.

If they demand that I make the opening salvo, I’m gonna ask for something that obviously favors me.

But since value is in the eye of the beholder, I’d always rather see where they’re coming from instead.

That could sometimes be the case, but I’ve found that interested buyer teams want to avoid overpaying too much and hope that the would-be seller sets the initial baseline compensation. Obviously every person/league is different though.
This is exactly what the one owner is doing. He is never willing to send out an initial offer. It’s like he is paranoid of giving up too much. I have made multiple comments about willing to trade send over an offer and he won’t. I feel those type of owners are stuck on the best way to gain value in negotiations instead of just open dialogue in trading.

Exactly this.

I will always try to give my trade partner some rope to hang themselves with as a conversation starter.

If they demand that I make the opening salvo, I’m gonna ask for something that obviously favors me.

But since value is in the eye of the beholder, I’d always rather see where they’re coming from instead.
Yep. I've been very surprised sometimes by a rare favorable offer. I don't want to make a more reasonable offer to them before they have a chance to make that favorable offer.

This is exactly what the one owner is doing. He is never willing to send out an initial offer. It’s like he is paranoid of giving up too much. I have made multiple comments about willing to trade send over an offer and he won’t. I feel those type of owners are stuck on the best way to gain value in negotiations instead of just open dialogue in trading.
That’s frustrating.

A dude in one of my leagues put a player on the block recently. I know the dude in RL so I texted him, “what do you want for [player]?”

He texted back, “as much as I can get”

Oooookay, that’s not really a negotiation, but best of luck to you.

That’s frustrating.

A dude in one of my leagues put a player on the block recently. I know the dude in RL so I texted him, “what do you want for [player]?”

If I knew those owners in real life I would be giving them a ton of crap. Probably to the point where they wouldn’t want to engage with me further.
It is supposed to be fun. I win and lose trades all the time. I was stuck on just winning trades when I first started in dynasty leagues and was more insecure with my ability to value players. Now I am fine with sticking with my gut and losing trades.

That’s frustrating.

If I knew those owners in real life I would be giving them a ton of crap. Probably to the point where they wouldn’t want to engage with me further.
It is supposed to be fun. I win and lose trades all the time. I was stuck on just winning trades when I first started in dynasty leagues and was more insecure with my ability to value players. Now I am fine with sticking with my gut and losing trades.
Yeah, I busted his chops for 3 days about it.

He finally said, “it’s too early to be making trades”

And I was like bro, you put the player OTB. What did you hope to achieve if it’s too early to be making trades?!

It’s so frustrating - I think you nailed it. He’s not confident in his ability to make a deal for himself, so he dips his toe in to see if someone will hold his hand through a negotiation, and that’s just not my job.

That’s frustrating.

And I was like bro, you put the player OTB. What did you hope to achieve if it’s too early to be making trades?!

It’s so frustrating - I think you nailed it. He’s not confident in his ability to make a deal for himself, so he dips his toe in to see if someone will hold his hand through a negotiation, and that’s just not my job.
As I have told multiple people in our 16 teamer "you're afraid to make me an offer because I might accept it"

That’s frustrating.

As I have told multiple people in our 16 teamer "you're afraid to make me an offer because I might accept it"
Well said

There is only 1 thing that irks me - we have a guy in our long term redraft league who posts to the entire league that he is "accepting offers for player X", and he does this at least 10 times every year, yet he never trades that player. He just wants others to rate his players, to make him feel good about his team. Here's a thought - every team is always accepting offers for every player, so shut up!

Rejected.
Can you reword that?
Yes I can.

The consensus value of a receiver may be a 2nd rounder. But the owner likes him a lot more, thus on his roster and he would think he is worth a 1st for trading purposes.
Loss aversion plays a key part here.
Trading away a player just to see him have a career year or breakout hurts more than not gaining a player who breaks out.
But if you can get more than he’s worth, the chances of you really missing out are mitigated.

I believe that the biggest reason why I seldom make trades is because of the disconnect between myself and other owners over trade etiquette. I have no problem making the initial offer. I don't bother with lowballs, but I might leave myself a little room by not making my absolute best offer. The other guy is insulted by my proposal, and becomes standoffish. Refuses to send a counter, or negotiate at all. This has happened more than once. Guys place different values on players, right? We're not all working off the same universal trade value chart. That's why negotiation exists. But God forbid if you can't read somebody's mind and try to determine what they are looking for in return.

I believe that the biggest reason why I seldom make trades is because of the disconnect between myself and other owners over trade etiquette. I have no problem making the initial offer. I don't bother with lowballs, but I might leave myself a little room by not making my absolute best offer. The other guy is insulted by my proposal, and becomes standoffish. Refuses to send a counter, or negotiate at all. This has happened more than once. Guys place different values on players, right? We're not all working off the same universal trade value chart. That's why negotiation exists. But God forbid if you can't read somebody's mind and try to determine what they are looking for in return.
That's essentially why I will ask them to list my players/picks that they have any interest in. Everyone has different values and guys they like or things they want.
If you let me know what you like, I can actually make offers with players and/or picks that you actually have interest in. Crazy concept I know

I don't really see anything wrong with them asking what they have that might be of interest to me.

By doing that it might lead to a different deal once they know what you want.

If the player they are seeking is high value like Chase then I look at their roster and tell them that either they don't have enough to buy Chase or I send them a offer that would get them there but I will ask for the moon and they have to negotiate the price down or forget about Chase.

Telling them what they have that interests you doesn't hurt you at all. As I said that could lead to other deals.

I don't get the comments about them being lazy with their offer. You need to do homework on all those players anyways.

Completely agree with this. These guys that just spam bad offers to everyone are the pits. I can appreciate those that try to maintain an active league, but at least take 3 minutes to look at my roster and try to find positional balance before you make an offer.

There's a guy in a league I've been in for a decade that, at a minimum 3x/season sends a blank offer with "what would you want for these guys" and then lists my 4-5 best players. My response is always some derivative of "make me an offer." He's never once come up with something remotely close, if he sends an offer at all. Thus, I've never (and will never) make a trade with him in that league.

If I'm interested in selling the player that was enquired about, then I'd look through what they own, ask for more of it than I'd need to move the player, and expect some negotiations to ensue thereafter.

If I wasn't interested in selling them, I'd state such and that they'd need to part with a substantial haul for me to even consider it.
This happened to me with some clown last year. He asked about Lamb, and I reiterated your last statement. Told him I valued Lamb a tick below Jefferson and Chase so take that as you will. I got offered Treylon Burks and 1.3. I countered 1.2, 1.3 and ASB. Needless to say, we didn't get a deal done.

If the same owner only sends you Il interested in so and so and never sends an offer…regardless of requests. Do you just send out some offers back or how would you play that?
My standard reply is something like "I'll see if there is anything of interest and feel free to shoot me an offer" and sometimes will add comments like "I'm not really looking to move this player and would take a lot to move me" or "I'll just let you know I'm higher on this player then most" and fwiw when I say these things it's because I mean it.

At that point I'll go take a look at their roster and sometimes I won't see anything they could muster to offer me, sometimes......

....the only thing they could give me that worked me for it's hard to rationalize working for them but here is where they have opened the doors to talks and I have no problem sending them an offer that I'd not have sent out of the blue as it would have seemed to one sided and I'm someone who generally looks at the other teams roster and needs to see if my offers makes sense to them before I send it but in this case that goes out the window. I don't get to many people who seem offended by my offers in these cases but if they hint they are I'll just tell remind them they came shopping in my store, the price is the price, and if they counter something way off or try approach of constant negotiation where they try and keep trimming my price I'm usually pretty quick to shut it all down.

I don't really see anything wrong with them asking what they have that might be of interest to me.

By doing that it might lead to a different deal once they know what you want.

If the player they are seeking is high value like Chase then I look at their roster and tell them that either they don't have enough to buy Chase or I send them a offer that would get them there but I will ask for the moon and they have to negotiate the price down or forget about Chase.

Telling them what they have that interests you doesn't hurt you at all. As I said that could lead to other deals.

I don't get the comments about them being lazy with their offer. You need to do homework on all those players anyways.
In my experience it has not left to any offers. I could respond with players of interest and then I get some retort about well that would need some 2 for 2 since he is worth so much. I don't ever get anywhere with those that choose just to say who they are interested in and never sends offers. If I responded who I like on their roster that should be their queue to form up some offer.
I have sent offers after their interest list. I get crazy responses that a late 2025 first is worth more than my 1.04. Or Purdy is worth more than 1.04. I have given up with those negotiations. They oversell the value of their pieces and never make trades.

Users who are viewing this thread