What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (13 Viewers)

I think most devs are starting to prepare for next gen, so we're seeing the traditional end-of-console generation lull. Report surfaced today that has PS5 dropping holiday next year.
Hopefully that means we'll start seeing some awesome price drops on all the PS4 games I never got too.

Well, Dark Souls III may be the first game in the series I don't finish. I simply cannot beat the two Princes. I got close once when I was on the last stage, but that is out of like two hours of trying this battle. I haven't made the final stage not one other time. And with no NPC to summon and no live account to use to summon live help, I think I'm simply going to have to admit defeat and move on to something else. Disappointing, but the fact is I'm to the point where I am simply sick of trying with this one.

Well, Dark Souls III may be the first game in the series I don't finish. I simply cannot beat the two Princes. I got close once when I was on the last stage, but that is out of like two hours of trying this battle. I haven't made the final stage not one other time. And with no NPC to summon and no live account to use to summon live help, I think I'm simply going to have to admit defeat and move on to something else. Disappointing, but the fact is I'm to the point where I am simply sick of trying with this one.

That was a very hard fight for me too. Can you not raise a few more levels and then fight them?

There are just so many cheap games today that I have fun with that Im not sure when Ill buy a full price game. 

There is a very cool metroidvania game that just came out on xbox live called Feudal Alloy.  I am in love with the art style . Its $14 and Im having a absolute blast with it. If you like these type of games I cant recommend it enough. Its on steam as well. 

That was a very hard fight for me too. Can you not raise a few more levels and then fight them?
I'm level 121 so I don't think there's much point there. I did read what I am doing wrong. What I thought was stage 2, 3 and 4 was really just me screwing up stage 2. I didn't realize you can "kill" the bottom guy forever and he'll just keep being healed.

I'm hoping we get some news on Watchdogs 3 at E3 this summer.  I didn't play the first one because the reviews were terrible but for some reason I bought the second one.  I played for 5 minutes and turned it off thinking it was garbage.  About 2 weeks later I fired it one more time to give it another chance and ended up falling in love with it.  Thought it was one of the better games I've played.  Good, fun story.  And lots of cool things to do.  Loved the map, as well.

Finally gave up. Game went back in the case. Another hour and forty five minutes losing that fight and I'm simply tired of trying. Like I said, first souls game I won't finish, but I needed help with certain fights in past episodes. So I guess without help, there would have been others I never completed, so I can live with it. Time to move on to something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally gave up. Game went back in the case. Another hour and forty five minutes losing that fight and I'm simply tired of trying. Like I said, first souls game I won't finish, but I needed help with certain fights in past episodes. So I guess without help, there would have been others I never completed, so I can live with it. Time to move on to something else.
Sounds like you need a break. Maybe put it down for a day or two and give it a shot. I bet you beat him easily within the first 3 attempts. Always works like that for some reason. Especially for souls games. 

Sounds like you need a break. Maybe put it down for a day or two and give it a shot. I bet you beat him easily within the first 3 attempts. Always works like that for some reason. Especially for souls games. 
I just came back from a week out of state where I was away from it. It's the only reason I had the patience I did. Maybe some day, like after I finish another game, I'll go back and try if I haven't traded it in already. It isn't likely, but it is possible.

I still play Rocket League on the daily. PS4. It just satisfies the competitor in me.
Same.  SlaX#2675 is my RocketID for my PC account.  I haven't played the Xbox account as much since cross-parties went into effect.  But you're welcome to add me.  

TheIronSheik said:
I'm hoping we get some news on Watchdogs 3 at E3 this summer.  I didn't play the first one because the reviews were terrible but for some reason I bought the second one.  I played for 5 minutes and turned it off thinking it was garbage.  About 2 weeks later I fired it one more time to give it another chance and ended up falling in love with it.  Thought it was one of the better games I've played.  Good, fun story.  And lots of cool things to do.  Loved the map, as well.
I enjoyed it after I figured out what bothered me about it so much. The tone of the characters was light with a humorous angle, which is fine. I was even okay with the whole parkour-hacker-ninja thing, because that's totally plausible. But the whole option to also be a murderous rampage killbot just didn't fit with the entirety of the game. To the point that I found it off-putting and took away from the experience. These characters are simply not-killers.

Once I landed on that as the problem and changed my gamplay to entirely non-lethal I enjoyed it a lot more.

The bay area map was definitely a high point for me as well. Even if evading the police through it was a nightmare.

I enjoyed it after I figured out what bothered me about it so much. The tone of the characters was light with a humorous angle, which is fine. I was even okay with the whole parkour-hacker-ninja thing, because that's totally plausible. But the whole option to also be a murderous rampage killbot just didn't fit with the entirety of the game. To the point that I found it off-putting and took away from the experience. These characters are simply not-killers.

Once I landed on that as the problem and changed my gamplay to entirely non-lethal I enjoyed it a lot more.

The bay area map was definitely a high point for me as well. Even if evading the police through it was a nightmare.
Yea some of these games take me right out of it with how much killing they do. The whole Uncharted series was like that for me.

It's like, if I'm playing Doom, I'm going to kill stuff in the most glorifying way possible. GTA, somewhat the same if someone pisses you off because you're pretty much a psychopath anyway. Watchdogs should not be a murder sim. 

Yea some of these games take me right out of it with how much killing they do. The whole Uncharted series was like that for me.

It's like, if I'm playing Doom, I'm going to kill stuff in the most glorifying way possible. GTA, somewhat the same if someone pisses you off because you're pretty much a psychopath anyway. Watchdogs should not be a murder sim. 
At least in the first one I understood why he might want to get a little murdery. But these cats? No, totally immersion breaking.

Great, now I'm trying to think about how many games I play that don't involve killing everything in sight.

Tetris?

I really need to win the lottery so I can retire and stay home. I just have no time to game. I own every gaming system and I have multiple games I have bought that are still sealed. I bought RDR2 and I just couldn't get into it--it was so slow and boring. I went back and played GTA5 and that was fun but again so immersive, I didn't scratch the surface on it. I have the newest Forza. Again huge game--no time invested in it.  I bought Days Gone launch day, played for two hours and I haven't been able to get back to it. I never finished Skyrim. I have the Witcher 3 sitting there sealed. It is frustrating.....

Does anyone play Elder Scrolls Online? I want to, but there are no fewer than 47 different bundles and versions out there. What do I buy??

I really need to win the lottery so I can retire and stay home. I just have no time to game. I own every gaming system and I have multiple games I have bought that are still sealed. I bought RDR2 and I just couldn't get into it--it was so slow and boring. I went back and played GTA5 and that was fun but again so immersive, I didn't scratch the surface on it. I have the newest Forza. Again huge game--no time invested in it.  I bought Days Gone launch day, played for two hours and I haven't been able to get back to it. I never finished Skyrim. I have the Witcher 3 sitting there sealed. It is frustrating.....
I have a problem starting games because (like the ones you have listed) they’re so freaking long now. It’s one thing if it’s jampacked, but if I have 30 minutes to play, I don’t want to spend 20 of it traveling from point A to point B. I honestly wish RDR2 had an option to just play the missions if you wanted, and let you toggle an option to go into free roam.  They made an amazing world, but I can’t spend hours riding a fake horse around. 

Ive started enjoying those new retro games more like Super Meatboy. It’s difficult, but you hit start and you’re playing a game with literally a second reload time after dying. 

I have a problem starting games because (like the ones you have listed) they’re so freaking long now. It’s one thing if it’s jampacked, but if I have 30 minutes to play, I don’t want to spend 20 of it traveling from point A to point B. I honestly wish RDR2 had an option to just play the missions if you wanted, and let you toggle an option to go into free roam.  They made an amazing world, but I can’t spend hours riding a fake horse around. 

Ive started enjoying those new retro games more like Super Meatboy. It’s difficult, but you hit start and you’re playing a game with literally a second reload time after dying. 
This is my problem. I have a fear of starting an unknown long game. I'll replay other long games I've beaten already because I know what I'm getting into. I'm always hesitant to jump into a game like RDR or Witcher because I know its a time sink. 

This is my problem. I have a fear of starting an unknown long game. I'll replay other long games I've beaten already because I know what I'm getting into. I'm always hesitant to jump into a game like RDR or Witcher because I know its a time sink. 
Meh, play Witcher 3 or go back to ME3 (for example) either way it's 30+ hours nowadays.

The Surge was free a couple of months ago on PSN, so I downloaded it based on the recommendation @jwb a while back.  Having gotten most of the way through the second zone, I have to say it's a pretty enjoyable game if you're in the mood for a Dark Souls clone.  I mean, it operates a little differently than Dark Souls, but it's clearly more than just heavily inspired by that franchise.  The game looks great and has pretty satisfying melee combat.  So far, so good.

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
The Division 2 is pretty fun if you enjoy coop games. Very similar to the first one, but some new components and a better environment IMO. It's definitely a game that rewards teamwork and diversification of skills and punishes you when you don't do those things. 

The story isn't great, the characters are pretty bland and there aren't a lot of puzzles, but the combat is pretty fun when you're playing with others and figuring out what works and how to play together is a lot of fun.

The Division 2 is pretty fun if you enjoy coop games. Very similar to the first one, but some new components and a better environment IMO. It's definitely a game that rewards teamwork and diversification of skills and punishes you when you don't do those things. 

The story isn't great, the characters are pretty bland and there aren't a lot of puzzles, but the combat is pretty fun when you're playing with others and figuring out what works and how to play together is a lot of fun.
Split screen coop or online only?

IvanKaramazov said:
The Surge was free a couple of months ago on PSN, so I downloaded it based on the recommendation @jwb a while back.  Having gotten most of the way through the second zone, I have to say it's a pretty enjoyable game if you're in the mood for a Dark Souls clone.  I mean, it operates a little differently than Dark Souls, but it's clearly more than just heavily inspired by that franchise.  The game looks great and has pretty satisfying melee combat.  So far, so good.
This keeps showing up for sale and I keep ignoring it. Played the demo and liked it. I guess I’m scared it’s going to let me down. 

Philosophically I’m against “casual” games but there are a lot of these retro styles games that have a lot of depth. 

To piggyback further, I miss the cartridge/analog age. It’s nice to have all the variety and access but it was a beautiful thing to turn something on and it immediately played or worked. No buffering, no loading, no loss of signal. 

Lol, I remember leaving my NES on - literally for weeks for games like Ninja Gaiden and Hudson’s Adventure Island. 

Just added up. RedCloud49#2004
I accepted.  Not sure how you'd prefer cross-platform voice chat.  But I do use Discord mostly.  (I usually use Xbox app for Xbox players, but obviously, it won't work across to PS4)

I accepted.  Not sure how you'd prefer cross-platform voice chat.  But I do use Discord mostly.  (I usually use Xbox app for Xbox players, but obviously, it won't work across to PS4)
Hmm. Yeah I've never done cross platform chat so I'll have to look into options. Can do discord if that's sounding easiest.

Took a week or more off from it. Came back and made a +10 Lightning Long Sword. I was just never going to beat it with me Zweihander because I just got caught to many times mid-swing. Dumped some gear so I could unequip Havel's ring and go with something that would actually help in the fight (went with the ring for strength, which gave me like another +50 damage on the Lightning Sword). I think I won on the third try with this config (got close the time before). It took me about another two hours before I figured that config out and went on to beat them. But man,  finally! Now I imagine I get to look forward to a much harder final fight...

Yep its a really good game in having team work and it doesn't reward you for the run a gun type stuff COD is known for in its multiplayer which I love. Far more rewarding then going in gun-ho. Great team based game. 

This keeps showing up for sale and I keep ignoring it. Played the demo and liked it. I guess I’m scared it’s going to let me down. 
If you like souls, it won't, especially at its price point. Basically, it's sci-fi souls, with more aggressive, heavier builds. I had fun with it, although I didn't finish it. But I got more than my money's worth, and will definitely return to it when gaming lulls hit.   

If you like souls, it won't, especially at its price point. Basically, it's sci-fi souls, with more aggressive, heavier builds. I had fun with it, although I didn't finish it. But I got more than my money's worth, and will definitely return to it when gaming lulls hit.   
I'm about 2/3 of the way through this game now, which I think is far enough along to form some intelligent opinions about it.  

First, you are absolutely right that the melee combat in this game is very satisfying.  You can't really rely on blocking, so you have to dodge and get aggressive when you spot an opening, which makes it fun to play.  The weapon variety isn't overwhelming, but it's good enough, and the various classes of weapons do play very differently.  Bloodborne is actually a good comparison here.  Single-rigged weapons play totally differently than dual-rigged than staves, etc.  I also like the fact that you essentially re-spec whenever you feel like it because of how the implant system works.  It makes for an interesting leveling mechanic that's different than what you see in most ARPGs.  

Now the bad parts.

I've beaten the first three bosses (there are only five).  All three were pretty terrible, and my understanding is that the worst one is up next.  All of the bosses I've fought so far have little gimmicks that you have to figure out before you can actually damage them. One of them features the worst camera angles and worst general boss design that I've honestly ever seen in a video game -- I beat that one on my first try because I had looked at a video for how to beat it in a manner that unlocked the best weapon drop, but it's just a ####-tier boss.  I'm glad there are hardly any bosses.  Exploration is so much more fun that boss fights in this game.

This game does not understand the difference between "challenging" and "cheap."  I can't begin to count the number of times when I got hit by an enemy who was hiding behind a blind corner and who attacked instantly as soon as I got into view.  In Dark Souls, you can protect against stuff like this by keeping your shield up, but that's not an option in The Surge.  Unless you've already been through the area before and you carefully bait the enemy out, you are going to take damage through no fault of your own.  That's bad enemy placement.

Finally, this game will really make you appreciate the level design in Souls games.  Levels in The Surge constantly loop back on themselves, and it's clear that the developers were going for the same kind of interconnectedness that Souls features.  But the rooms all look more or less the same, and by the end of the level you might have half a dozen "shortcut doors" that branch out into various parts of the map, to the point that it's very difficult to remember which route goes where.  Likewise, Souls leads you along the main path by offering clear, un-missable avenues that you are obviously supposed to follow.  It has a bunch of hidden areas of course, but the main path is generally obvious.  I have had several moments in The Surge where I had no ####### clue where to go next and had to consult a wiki to get my bearings.  Seriously, I just came out of an area where the game expected me to remember that there was a breakable door several rooms ago that I need to backtrack to if I want to advance the game.  I'm talking about the kind of door where there's usually some loot or something behind it, but in this particular case it is the only way to advance to the next major area.  I had completely forgotten about this door and was stunned that the developers hid the rest of the game behind it when I finally resorted to googling it.  And this isn't the first time the game has done this to me.  I'm an OCD gamer who tries to look into every nook and cranny of the game, so if I can't find the main ####### path, that's on the developers.  

I wrote a lot more about the negatives than the positives, but it's a fun game to play when it isn't being frustrating.  It's a nice title for when you're in between major releases. 

Since I spent a bunch of time last night kind of ripping on The Surge, I thought I should update things.  The boss that I thought was going to be total horse#### ended up being a pushover who I beat on my second try.  It was basically a regular enemy with a really large health pool who hits a little harder than usual, who you fight in a big square arena where there's really no particular reason why you should ever get hit in the first place.  There's an extra mini-boss who shows up a little ways into the fight, but if you know the trick, it's very to deal with that and finish off the main boss with no hassle.  The bosses in this game are not good, but there's hardly any of them and they're easy as hell.  My favorite part of Souls game is the exploration part, so this kind of game -- that maximizes the amount of time you spend working through levels and minimizes the time you spend fighting bosses -- is actually right up my alley.

Also, I understated how much I like the combat.  It has the same predictable, methodical feel that we're all used to from Dark Souls and Bloodborne.  The first time I fight a Cerebus-type enemy (late game), I got knocked around around pretty severely.  After a few goes against that guy, I had no problem kicking his #### in without taking any damage and farmed him for armor upgrades.  

One new complaint is that the story goes on for one act too long.  I thought I was about to end the game, but nope, it turns out that there's a whole 'nother level that I have to work through.  Now granted, the game was just throwing very high-level gear at me, so it figures that they're going to give you some room to actually use that stuff before NG+.  But it feels like the story is basically over already.  The story is predictable but entertaining BTW.  One of these days, I'm hoping they'll make a game where the corporation that says it wants to save humankind actually is going to save humankind and their busy-body critics are the villains, not the faceless corporation.  That would be a cool twist by modern standards.  But alas, that's not The Surge.  Oh well.

I will probably give NG+ a try when I finish this run.  I failed nearly every NPC quest line because I didn't look up how to complete them -- they're just as opaque as Souls questlines, which I think is expected for this kind of game.   

Going back and doing Borderlands 2 DLC.  So well done.  Tiny Tina's Bunkers and Badasses game is hilarious.

Going back and doing Borderlands 2 DLC.  So well done.  Tiny Tina's Bunkers and Badasses game is hilarious.
Finally got a Sal up to max level and was able to play these DLCs recently. When I quit a few years back the cap was 50 and the only DLC was the pirate one.

Tina's D&D session was great. Now I'm looking forward to knocking out some of these raid bosses and farming loot. Able to beat Terramorphous pretty easily but that Voracidous from Hammerlock's DLC tore me a new one. Time to get gud.

I bought No Mans Sky, I have heard decent reviews since all of the patches but I am not impressed.  It still seems like a beta game that has many of the correct pieces of a good game, but needs 2-3 years of solid development.

Finally got a Sal up to max level and was able to play these DLCs recently. When I quit a few years back the cap was 50 and the only DLC was the pirate one.

Tina's D&D session was great. Now I'm looking forward to knocking out some of these raid bosses and farming loot. Able to beat Terramorphous pretty easily but that Voracidous from Hammerlock's DLC tore me a new one. Time to get gud.
I started Tiny Tina at lvl 35, having just finished Handsome Jack off.  Pretty sure all of the DLC scale, since the mobs have varied by my level in the areas.

Users who are viewing this thread