What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (18 Viewers)

Theres no reason why they couldnt use captions to signify the timelines. Its not like they were hiding some big reveal. 
That's pretty much what got me at first. Just put a year and place in a caption unless you're going for a big reveal. But it didn't feel like some big shock at the end. 

After the first two episodes, I googled and read a couple short articles about the timeline, and it all made sense after that. Its not a complicated mind-#### timeline thing like Westworld, just a clever way to tell the three main characters' stories leading to the ending when they all intersect.  Its a decent show, far from great. For me, it was a worthwhile way to pass the time at a boys volleyball tournament out of town last weekend.
Never watched Westworld. 

I do agree that they did a decent job with this overall.

Honestly, I didn't even realize it was the same queen. Should have, but wasn't really thinking about it when we saw the younger Queen. 

I started What did Jack do, David lynch's short or him interviewing a well dressed talking monkey.

:oldunsure:

Anybody else?

It was a long 3 minutes of my life...barely denting the 17 min run time.
Anybody? There's singing and it's chock full o' cliched phrases...maybe even entirely scripted with them. Its...uh...David lynch.

yeah I liked the witcher and I like the fact that they embraced the fantasy genre, the timeline thing was confusing but I figured it out, I was like wait this castle/town was already burnt, here we are again.....

We stumbled upon the series The Missing by accident. I haven't seen it mentioned (it's nearly impossible to find in a FBG board search). It was one of the rare shows that my wife and I both really enjoyed. Watched both seasons / all 16 episodes (hour-long) over the weekend. It was originally on the BBC then Starz. I think it may be on Prime (not sure if it's included or PPV). Our cable package includes Starz, so we were able to watch it through Comcast.

Anyway, we thought it was fantastic . . . but it requires a lot of concentration (ie, you have to pay close attention to everything or it will be easy to get lost). It's essentially a mystery but shown out of sequence. So the story is told jumping back and forth between multiple years and multiple locations. There are a lot of puzzle pieces across each season, and as things are introduced they seem to have no relevance to other pieces. But by the end, they fit all the puzzle pieces together and things will make sense. There is a follow-up spin off series called Baptiste . . . but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be available anywhere except direct from the BBC (and maybe only available in the UK).

Has anyone else watched The Missing and/or Baptiste?

Giri / Haji- English/Japanese show set in Tokyo and London revolving about a single murder and subsequent butterfly effect that it has on various people. Stars the always great Kelly MacDonald. Well worth a watch.

Line of Duty, Season 5- English anti-corruption police procedural. This season starts Stephen Graham (who played Tony Pro in the Irishman). Have I watched the other four seasons ? Absolutely.

Killer Inside; Aaron Hernandez doc- has its own thread in this forum. Mercifully short at 3 episodes as opposed to the usual half dozen plus episodes that most/some Netflix documentaries seem to go on for.

Spotless- about a trauma cleaner who gets mixed up with the a whole host of seedy people. Sex, violence, suspense...a lot to like in this one.

Dont ##### with Cats- another three part documentary about serial killer Luka Magnotta. It your a Canadian , this name is not new.

Running With the Devil- movie starring Nick Cage and Larry Fishburne. Rather standard drug cartel type movie. 

Ghost Stories- Indian horror anthology, more like ghost stories. The stories are not bad and the fact the locale is set in India adds to the whole vibe.

The Snowman- starring Michael Fassbender. Avoid...I knew the reviews were bad but wow.  Do not watch. Seriously.

Roma- Academy award winner from last year (?)...about the life of a domestic worker in Mexico. Might not to be for all tastes but still impressive in its own right.

Lion- movie starring Dev Patel and Nicole Kidman. Movie is about an Indian child who find himself lost and is eventually adopted by a white Australian family but longs to find his hometown in India. Based on a true story. Very good.

Crazyhead- English comedy/horror series about two young women fighting supernatural demons. Premise might sound cliche but it is enjoyable.

V WarsStrain knock-off...still good though.

started watching S2 of The Missing (might be on Starz)... already a notch below S1, which was quite good. this one is throwing some goofy stuff into the mixer (surrounded by ISIS!) and also is using a jumpy time-line narratively (that part is actually working pretty well).
@Anarchy99

Last edited by a moderator:
We stumbled upon the series The Missing by accident. I haven't seen it mentioned (it's nearly impossible to find in a FBG board search). It was one of the rare shows that my wife and I both really enjoyed. Watched both seasons / all 16 episodes (hour-long) over the weekend. It was originally on the BBC then Starz. I think it may be on Prime (not sure if it's included or PPV). Our cable package includes Starz, so we were able to watch it through Comcast.

Anyway, we thought it was fantastic . . . but it requires a lot of concentration (ie, you have to pay close attention to everything or it will be easy to get lost). It's essentially a mystery but shown out of sequence. So the story is told jumping back and forth between multiple years and multiple locations. There are a lot of puzzle pieces across each season, and as things are introduced they seem to have no relevance to other pieces. But by the end, they fit all the puzzle pieces together and things will make sense. There is a follow-up spin off series called Baptiste . . . but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be available anywhere except direct from the BBC (and maybe only available in the UK).

Has anyone else watched The Missing and/or Baptiste?
Yes season 1 was much better than season 2

Toast of London is pretty freaking funny. 

I swear @Ramsay Hunt Experience writes for this show. 

(Guy walks into the home of his date for the first time and sees bird beaks on the wall)- "I thought you said you were a beekeeper" 

:lmao:
Just found this and watched the first episode. I'm a big Matt Berry fan, so looking forward to the rest
This is Clem Fandango.... can you hear me?

cockroach said:
This is Clem Fandango.... can you hear me?
I'm seriously trying to figure out something I can name "I can hear you Clem Fandango".  May need another FF league next year just for that.

TripItUp said:
Anybody try "October Faction" or "Rise of Empires:  Ottoman" ??
Watched both.

October is entertainment with monsters, and a monster killers organization. Lead monster killer guy seems unlikely, but it's fiction so... I enjoyed it.

Ottoman is a history lesson with dramatization. Both the drama and expert commentary presented well imo. I liked it. Want to visit Istanbul now.

Finished The Witcher last night. 

The video games were far better at story telling than this series. Wife and I discussed the series and both concluded we didn't know what any of it was about other than...

Cripple Yennifer was crippled.

Became a mage and slut - Her BF was like no thanks hoe.

Witcher killed things and wants to save his daughter, maybe?

There are some other mages from Nelfgarden or whatever it was called. 

Yennifer blowed em up real good and disappeared.

Geralt found his little girl. 

A queen died. 
:shrug:  

Finished The Witcher last night. 

The video games were far better at story telling than this series. Wife and I discussed the series and both concluded we didn't know what any of it was about other than...

:shrug:  
Spoilers bro.  

But have to agree this show is horrible. 

There is no reason at all for the timeline jumping.  I have to think that all those choices were made in the editing room because they do not embrace the time gaps in makeup, costume or cinematography.

The whole thing is just a mess.  Makes Altered Carbon look like Shakespeare.  

Spoilers bro.  
Crap! Thanks, fixed mine, please fix yours. 

Yeah, the show was a mess. The characters were all good. I’m not sure they could have found a better Geralt and Yennifer was smoking but it’s just a complete mess. 

Dracula... wow... can't believe a show that started that strong ended that bad, and over the course of only three episodes. 

Watched both.

October is entertainment with monsters, and a monster killers organization. Lead monster killer guy seems unlikely, but it's fiction so... I enjoyed it.

Ottoman is a history lesson with dramatization. Both the drama and expert commentary presented well imo. I liked it. Want to visit Istanbul now.
I loved Istanbul so that's one reason it caught my eye.  Top 5 city in the world(when peaceful)

Finished S2 of "Shrill" and liked it. Bryant does some good work as an actor here in the series. It's all low-stakes comedy and drama but it has something to say worth listening too. As a series, it's not perfect but, at less than 30 minutes an episode, it's not asking much of viewers. Also, if seeing Bryant in "adult" situations makes you act weird then best stay away.

Anybody watch "I Lost My Body"? Had it show up in my recommended titles and saw it was nominated for best animated feature.  Thinking about making that next one up for me.

I dont know if Prime just added it or always had it & i didnt notice, but i am digging the HELL out of 30Rock reruns lately. Actually giggling to the point that the peeps ask me what i been laughing at when i come in to chore em up

i watched me a couple o those october faction things and they are so so what can you say it passed the time i guess take that to the bank brohans 

Finally pushed myself to watch Chernobyl (HBO) . I realize I'm late to the party on this one but for anyone who has not seen it yet, you should do yourself a favour. Simply fantastic.  The final episode in the courtroom was very well done and dumbed down enough for a guy like me to understand the details of what happened a little too.  Amazing heroism on display throughout the tragedy.  The show was very deserving of all the awards it won last year.  :clap:  

Also listening to the podcast on Spotify as it provides some additional context not included in the show. 

Gave up on The Witcher to watch this show instead.    :thumbup:

i watched me a couple o those october faction things and they are so so what can you say it passed the time i guess take that to the bank brohans 
We started it too. You nailed it...so-so. And yeah- it didn't stop time, so time kept passing while we watched. 

Watched the first episode of "The Circle" last night.  :bag:   Wasn't great. Wasn't horrible. Will probably continue.

Also watched the first episode of "The Goop Lab". Im interested in the subject of psychedelic therapy, so I enjoyed it. The people are pretty annoying though, so I doubt Ill keep watching. Especially episodes on subjects that dont interest me as much. 

"Shot in the Dark" was pretty good. Reality show about "stringers" (people who film accidents/bad stuff and sell it to the news stations). The content was interesting but the characters make the show. Some crazy, despicable stuff. What a way to make a living.

Also really like "Explained" - a series of mini-documentaries on interesting subjects. Originally a YouTube thing.

Loved "Its the End of the ####ing World". Just a great show.

Watching "Ozark" now. Its kinda meh. Interesting story, but nowhere near the intensity of a show like Breaking Bad. 

Finished season 3 of Glow last night. I really liked it. I think it was the best season of the show so far. They've almost completely given up on the comedic elements of the show, but it still works. Many of the punches were telegraphed, but they still landed. Probably the thing that put it ahead of other seasons for me is it felt like this one converted most of the characters from caricatures (much like the wrestling alter egos they took on in the ring) to more fully formed people. 

Loved "Its the End of the ####ing World". Just a great show
cosign x infinity ... remarkable lil' mind#### - loved the pace and ambiance of the whole production - and the economic largesse of the half hr episodes, which zip by like comets, though it feels like you sat for 3 hours - fantastic series.

oh, and ... Jessica Barden nailed it!   :wub:

cosign x infinity ... remarkable lil' mind#### - loved the pace and ambiance of the whole production - and the economic largesse of the half hr episodes, which zip by like comets, though it feels like you sat for 3 hours - fantastic series.

Whuuuuh? (in my best Alyssa impersonation - I do this pretty much every time I see her)

Loved "Its the End of the ####ing World". Just a great show

Loved it.

First season was incredible...not to diminish the second which was very good- just loved the arc of the first.

Loved it.

First season was incredible...not to diminish the second which was very good- just loved the arc of the first.
Yea I was going to skip season 2 because I thought 1 told a perfect arc and 2 wasn’t necessary. But I guess I should go for it? 

Loved it.

i haven't delved into season 2 yet ... i have a feeling it's gonna be a letdown, seeing as how s1 was so dynamic (kinda like how "Stranger Things" cliffed in s2 as compared to s1).

judging from your perspective, i can see that there's a modicum (if not a smidge) of verification to my misgivings ... no?

i haven't delved into season 2 yet ... i have a feeling it's gonna be a letdown, seeing as how s1 was so dynamic (kinda like how "Stranger Things" cliffed in s2 as compared to s1).

judging from your perspective, i can see that there's a modicum (if not a smidge) of verification to my misgivings ... no?
Most def. It's worthwhile to keep going with the characters, but it doesn't match the first. Stranger things is a perfect analogy...

Most def. It's worthwhile to keep going with the characters, but it doesn't match the first. Stranger things is a perfect analogy...
:thumbup:

yeah, just had no idea where they were gonna take the arc of ST ... that s1 e1 hooked me as hard as GoT initial episode did - and it really ramped up when 11 hit the scene ... gotDAMN was it riveting!

but, eh ... it's been ok, i guess - but nothing they summarily did touches s1 - everyone was so on point and brilliant ... the writing, the art direction, the cast, cinematography, soundtrack (Joy Division!) - it clicked.  man, did it really click.  

just about to wrap up s3 .... let's just say the urgency is not quite there ...

whereas i binged all of s1 on a rainy Saturday with my girls outta town ... MF'ng blast. 

btw, not for nuttin' ... but i think that MillieBB is gonna be the most bankable film commodity of this upcoming decade ... that girl is so damn talented and expressive. she gripped me the second she appeared - ST has been her superstar vehicle, no question.

anyways ... going back to "END" ... where can they take those two that's gonna top where they've been?

gonna find out starting tonight, i reckon.

Went fishing for suggestions on Facebook and came up with the following, in no particular order:

Bosch

The Expanse (multiple recommendations)

Altered Carbon (multiple recommendations)

Jack Ryan

Ozark (multiple recommendations)

Longmire

Russian Doll

Umbrella Academy (multiple recommendations)

Banshee

Peaky Blinders (multiple recommendations)

Good Omens (multiple recommendations)

Messiah (multiple recommendations)

The Outsider

68 Whiskey

Yellowstone

Billions

Ray Donovan

The Magicians

Patriot

Users who are viewing this thread