Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
KCC

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread)

40 minutes ago, DaVinci said:

Same here, although I was a little disappointed in the third episode. The premise had so much more potential.

Liked it quite a bit.  (Dracula)  The third episode wasn't as good as the others, but it did get deep and tied some things together at the end.  It did feel like they could have expanded on the end a little.

Nun Van Hesling kept talking about things (sunlight, crosses, being invited in) "not making sense."

Aaron Hernandez doc is good

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Capella said:

Man the actor who plays Lenny Bruce really brings life to that character. When he shows up Mrs. Maisel becomes instantly better. 

Tremendous performance.

Love Marvelous Mrs Maisel, just came to it recently. It may be the best-performed tv series i've ever seen. But the thing i like most about it is that it takes me out of my hypercritical, analytical head and makes me look forward to chances to forgive the show its excesses. I'm usually not very tolerant when shows lose their narrative truth or continuity and MMM often does. But the show is so honest and charming and thoroughgoing in its love for what made modern comedy and personality what they are that i actually enjoy welcoming it home from a wayward day of play with a loving squeeze.

And it don't get much more wayward than its portrayal of Lenny Bruce. I have been trying to like the Moses of standup since i heard one of his albums over 50 yrs ago. There is so much cleverness & courage, such semantic & revolutionary fervor in there that you just want to roar along with him, but i dont know anyone who can. Cant blame him for wanting to be new more than right, but it's resolution, not revelation, that brings the Funny and there's just too much hipster neurosis in his style for that to happen.

Just as i loved Woody Allen getting to meet the God of Cool in the person of Bogie in Play it again, Sam, i love Mrs Maisel's affair of heart & mind w Bruce. It is not uncommon for a show run by a woman to contain a goodly portion of wish fulfillment and it usually rubs me the wrong way. Here it's perfect because the Oracle of Humor MUST be glamorous, MUST be compelling, MUST be wistful & telling so each of us who live for the Funny can make love to it over & over. And Cary Grant couldn't have played a standup as romantically & heroically as this Luke Kirby. Not a hint of the fevered junkie, the user & leaver, but brought all that damage to a faithful reproduction of what Bruce did on stage. Remarkable.

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 3

5 episodes in and this Witcher show is a disaster. Good grief. Yennifer is a jowly smoke show but the narrative and visual style trying to frame that narrative are both just a mess. Not even the costume and makeup departments have any clue what is happening. Not sure I can keep watching. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

5 episodes in and this Witcher show is a disaster. Good grief. Yennifer is a jowly smoke show but the narrative and visual style trying to frame that narrative are both just a mess. Not even the costume and makeup departments have any clue what is happening. Not sure I can keep watching. 

It's not until episode 8 that Yennefer gives birth to 3 dragons. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

34 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

What in the what? You're all over The 100, but only now you have a critical eye?

• Laughing 1

29 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

What in the what? You're all over The 100, but only now you have a critical eye?

You shut your whore mouth about the 100. 

• Laughing 2

1 hour ago, Nick Vermeil said:

Oof 

10 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

So we not allowed to say we arent into a TV show in here too? 

:oldunsure:

I’d rather watch a Swedish college student play Witcher on twitch than another episode of this Netflix show. 

(yes I’ll probably finish. But I won’t enjoy it!)

9 hours ago, Nick Vermeil said:

I’d rather watch a Swedish college student play Witcher on twitch than another episode of this Netflix show. 

need a name

11 hours ago, Nick Vermeil said:

You shut your whore mouth about the 100. 

Btw, and you know this, but the Witcher and my current employer seem to use the same stylist.

Dracula was a bit of a let down mainly because of a terrible final episode. It started great and the questions that were being posed in the first 2 episodes made this series very interesting. The reveals to these questions were just meh. 

On 11/10/2019 at 6:35 PM, Scoresman said:

The Devil Next Door was pretty great. Documentary about a guy from Cleveland who was accused of being a Nazi death camp guard. I was too young to know about this when it happened but never really heard about the more recent events related to it either. 

Watching this now, I'm on the final episode. It's tough to watch and really infuriating but it's an excellent crime/court room doc.  

12 hours ago, Nick Vermeil said:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nick Vermeil said:

I'm right there with you.  Same exact feelings.  I feel like I've invested enough to see it through but it's pretty painful.  I have absolutely no idea what's going on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Btw, and you know this, but the Witcher and my current employer seem to use the same stylist.

They costumed right out of his closet.  

54 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

I'm right there with you.  Same exact feelings.  I feel like I've invested enough to see it through but it's pretty painful.  I have absolutely no idea what's going on.

This is me after 4 episodes. More or less just a bunch of scenes strung together. 

One minute were watching a queen marry her daughter. Then a scene showing yennifer on the beach with the dead baby she tried to save.Next minute we see the queen some time in the future dead on the ground.

Actually not sure I'll finish. If I do it'll be mostly for yenna.

• Thanks 1

I started What did Jack do, David lynch's short or him interviewing a well dressed talking monkey.

Anybody else?

It was a long 3 minutes of my life...barely denting the 17 min run time.

On 1/23/2020 at 11:33 AM, wikkidpissah said:

Tremendous performance.

Love Marvelous Mrs Maisel, just came to it recently. It may be the best-performed tv series i've ever seen. But the thing i like most about it is that it takes me out of my hypercritical, analytical head and makes me look forward to chances to forgive the show its excesses. I'm usually not very tolerant when shows lose their narrative truth or continuity and MMM often does. But the show is so honest and charming and thoroughgoing in its love for what made modern comedy and personality what they are that i actually enjoy welcoming it home from a wayward day of play with a loving squeeze.

And it don't get much more wayward than its portrayal of Lenny Bruce. I have been trying to like the Moses of standup since i heard one of his albums over 50 yrs ago. There is so much cleverness & courage, such semantic & revolutionary fervor in there that you just want to roar along with him, but i dont know anyone who can. Cant blame him for wanting to be new more than right, but it's resolution, not revelation, that brings the Funny and there's just too much hipster neurosis in his style for that to happen.

Just as i loved Woody Allen getting to meet the God of Cool in the person of Bogie in Play it again, Sam, i love Mrs Maisel's affair of heart & mind w Bruce. It is not uncommon for a show run by a woman to contain a goodly portion of wish fulfillment and it usually rubs me the wrong way. Here it's perfect because the Oracle of Humor MUST be glamorous, MUST be compelling, MUST be wistful & telling so each of us who live for the Funny can make love to it over & over. And Cary Grant couldn't have played a standup as romantically & heroically as this Luke Kirby. Not a hint of the fevered junkie, the user & leaver, but brought all that damage to a faithful reproduction of what Bruce did on stage. Remarkable.

Great post man. Totally agree with you on Kirby. The emotion he put into that scene where he said “maybe before I die” really hit home knowing how his story ends. Great actor. 

21 hours ago, Nick Vermeil said:

Too bad there isn't a Witcher thread, I feel a The Fanatic rant coming...

17 hours ago, thecatch said:

I finished the Witcher last night and thought it was very good. 

I liked it and don't always like the genre. But like others said, halfway through I didn't really understand the plot / timeline. 

16 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

I liked it and don't always like the genre. But like others said, halfway through I didn't really understand the plot / timeline. 

Yeah the timeline thing is very confusing.  Imo the last 3 episodes they do a much better job on that. Maybe it's because the difference in the timeline is easily to see.

Edited by Mile High
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mile High said:
2 hours ago, -OZ- said:

liked it and don't always like the genre. But like others said, halfway through I didn't really understand the plot / timeline. 

Yeah the timeline thing is very confusing.  Imo the last 3 episodes they do a much better job on that. Maybe it's because the difference in the timeline is easily to see

They make a point of going back and replaying major events from different perspectives (like rashoman) and then playing then out again to explain the significance. It's heavy handed, but does a good job stitching plot points and timelines together.

I wrapped it up too- liked it fine. If people aren't liking it through the first episodes because it's "confusing", stick with it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

They make a point of going back and replaying major events from different perspectives (like rashoman) and then playing then out again to explain the significance. It's heavy handed, but does a good job stitching plot points and timelines together.

I wrapped it up too- liked it fine. If people aren't liking it through the first episodes because it's "confusing", stick with it.

It made for some cool moments when they wrapped the timelines all together in the mid-late season. It was a little confusing early on, but there’s no real other way to tell all the main characters’ origin stories concurrently given the disparity in their ages. Ultimately I ended up appreciating the approach. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

One week until the final Bojack episodes. 

Pre-crying now 

• Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, -OZ- said:

After the first two episodes, I googled and read a couple short articles about the timeline, and it all made sense after that. Its not a complicated mind-#### timeline thing like Westworld, just a clever way to tell the three main characters' stories leading to the ending when they all intersect.  Its a decent show, far from great. For me, it was a worthwhile way to pass the time at a boys volleyball tournament out of town last weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thecatch said:

It made for some cool moments when they wrapped the timelines all together in the mid-late season. It was a little confusing early on, but there’s no real other way to tell all the main characters’ origin stories concurrently given the disparity in their ages. Ultimately I ended up appreciating the approach. 

Theres no reason why they couldnt use captions to signify the timelines. Its not like they were hiding some big reveal. 

50 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

Theres no reason why they couldnt use captions to signify the timelines. Its not like they were hiding some big reveal. 

That's pretty much what got me at first. Just put a year and place in a caption unless you're going for a big reveal. But it didn't feel like some big shock at the end. 

3 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

After the first two episodes, I googled and read a couple short articles about the timeline, and it all made sense after that. Its not a complicated mind-#### timeline thing like Westworld, just a clever way to tell the three main characters' stories leading to the ending when they all intersect.  Its a decent show, far from great. For me, it was a worthwhile way to pass the time at a boys volleyball tournament out of town last weekend.

Never watched Westworld. 

I do agree that they did a decent job with this overall.

Honestly, I didn't even realize it was the same queen. Should have, but wasn't really thinking about it when we saw the younger Queen. 

1 hour ago, shadyridr said:

Didn't bother me at all.

• Like 1

Im watching Altered Carbon

Still can't figure out if I hate it or like it. The female cop is a smokeshow though. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 10:19 PM, shuke said:

Fleabag was very good.  Yes, Cappy, I love her too. 

After the first scene of the very first episode it's difficult not to.

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2020 at 4:10 PM, El Floppo said:

I started What did Jack do, David lynch's short or him interviewing a well dressed talking monkey.

Anybody else?

Anybody? There's singing and it's chock full o' cliched phrases...maybe even entirely scripted with them. Its...uh...David lynch.

yeah I liked the witcher and I like the fact that they embraced the fantasy genre, the timeline thing was confusing but I figured it out, I was like wait this castle/town was already burnt, here we are again.....

43 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Anybody? There's singing and it's chock full o' cliched phrases...maybe even entirely scripted with them. Its...uh...David lynch.

Plan to tonight after some mind altering substances.  

1 hour ago, shuke said:

Plan to tonight after some mind altering substances.  

It's only 17 mins...you might want to have a chaser

On 1/24/2020 at 3:10 PM, El Floppo said:

Anybody else?

:lmao:  Not sure what that was.  Did he do it?

We stumbled upon the series The Missing by accident. I haven't seen it mentioned (it's nearly impossible to find in a FBG board search). It was one of the rare shows that my wife and I both really enjoyed. Watched both seasons / all 16 episodes (hour-long) over the weekend. It was originally on the BBC then Starz. I think it may be on Prime (not sure if it's included or PPV). Our cable package includes Starz, so we were able to watch it through Comcast.

Anyway, we thought it was fantastic . . . but it requires a lot of concentration (ie, you have to pay close attention to everything or it will be easy to get lost). It's essentially a mystery but shown out of sequence. So the story is told jumping back and forth between multiple years and multiple locations. There are a lot of puzzle pieces across each season, and as things are introduced they seem to have no relevance to other pieces. But by the end, they fit all the puzzle pieces together and things will make sense. There is a follow-up spin off series called Baptiste . . . but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be available anywhere except direct from the BBC (and maybe only available in the UK).

Has anyone else watched The Missing and/or Baptiste?

• Like 1

Giri / Haji- English/Japanese show set in Tokyo and London revolving about a single murder and subsequent butterfly effect that it has on various people. Stars the always great Kelly MacDonald. Well worth a watch.

Line of Duty, Season 5- English anti-corruption police procedural. This season starts Stephen Graham (who played Tony Pro in the Irishman). Have I watched the other four seasons ? Absolutely.

Killer Inside; Aaron Hernandez doc- has its own thread in this forum. Mercifully short at 3 episodes as opposed to the usual half dozen plus episodes that most/some Netflix documentaries seem to go on for.

Spotless- about a trauma cleaner who gets mixed up with the a whole host of seedy people. Sex, violence, suspense...a lot to like in this one.

Dont ##### with Cats- another three part documentary about serial killer Luka Magnotta. It your a Canadian , this name is not new.

Running With the Devil- movie starring Nick Cage and Larry Fishburne. Rather standard drug cartel type movie. 

Ghost Stories- Indian horror anthology, more like ghost stories. The stories are not bad and the fact the locale is set in India adds to the whole vibe.

The Snowman- starring Michael Fassbender. Avoid...I knew the reviews were bad but wow.  Do not watch. Seriously.

Roma- Academy award winner from last year (?)...about the life of a domestic worker in Mexico. Might not to be for all tastes but still impressive in its own right.

Lion- movie starring Dev Patel and Nicole Kidman. Movie is about an Indian child who find himself lost and is eventually adopted by a white Australian family but longs to find his hometown in India. Based on a true story. Very good.

Crazyhead- English comedy/horror series about two young women fighting supernatural demons. Premise might sound cliche but it is enjoyable.

V WarsStrain knock-off...still good though.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2017 at 4:37 PM, El Floppo said:

started watching S2 of The Missing (might be on Starz)... already a notch below S1, which was quite good. this one is throwing some goofy stuff into the mixer (surrounded by ISIS!) and also is using a jumpy time-line narratively (that part is actually working pretty well).

@Anarchy99

Edited by El Floppo

On 5/20/2018 at 2:30 AM, The Gator said:

Toast of London is pretty freaking funny. 

I swear @Ramsay Hunt Experience writes for this show. 

(Guy walks into the home of his date for the first time and sees bird beaks on the wall)- "I thought you said you were a beekeeper" 

:lmao:

Just found this and watched the first episode. I'm a big Matt Berry fan, so looking forward to the rest

22 minutes ago, heckmanm said:

Just found this and watched the first episode. I'm a big Matt Berry fan, so looking forward to the rest

Haven't seen @The Gator around either...

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

We stumbled upon the series The Missing by accident. I haven't seen it mentioned (it's nearly impossible to find in a FBG board search). It was one of the rare shows that my wife and I both really enjoyed. Watched both seasons / all 16 episodes (hour-long) over the weekend. It was originally on the BBC then Starz. I think it may be on Prime (not sure if it's included or PPV). Our cable package includes Starz, so we were able to watch it through Comcast.

Anyway, we thought it was fantastic . . . but it requires a lot of concentration (ie, you have to pay close attention to everything or it will be easy to get lost). It's essentially a mystery but shown out of sequence. So the story is told jumping back and forth between multiple years and multiple locations. There are a lot of puzzle pieces across each season, and as things are introduced they seem to have no relevance to other pieces. But by the end, they fit all the puzzle pieces together and things will make sense. There is a follow-up spin off series called Baptiste . . . but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be available anywhere except direct from the BBC (and maybe only available in the UK).

Has anyone else watched The Missing and/or Baptiste?

Yes season 1 was much better than season 2

1 hour ago, heckmanm said:
On 5/19/2018 at 11:30 PM, The Gator said:

Toast of London is pretty freaking funny. 

I swear @Ramsay Hunt Experience writes for this show. 

(Guy walks into the home of his date for the first time and sees bird beaks on the wall)- "I thought you said you were a beekeeper" 

:lmao:

This is Clem Fandango.... can you hear me?