What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (10 Viewers)

I will admit that some of it is me filtering my preferences and trying to steer her towards stuff that I can tolerate watching too.   Disney stuff has always grated on me a bit.  For us currently nothing beats the NF options of:  Ask the Storybots, Chip and Potato, Llama Llama, Ollie and Moon, and PJ Masks.   Hulu has Doc McStuffins and Curious George if we need something different.  

For those with young kids, our weird family can't get enough of Ask the Storybots on NF.   IMO one of the better shows that I have watched with either kid at a young age.  Just a little weird, but love that they actually talk science and have guest that the parents will laugh at like Snoop Dogg and Keven Smith.   Premise is kids ask questions (why is the sky blue, how to cell phones work, etc.. ) and bots go out into the world to find the answer.  
My youngest is 12, so not quite in your boat. That said, all boys who grew up on Marvel and Star Wars so they like those kind of movies. I wasn't a fan of the Ewoks, so while I liked baby Yoda, the Mandalorian was definitely more Phantom Menace than Empire Strikes Back to me.

Just finished The Sinner season two. Pretty good follow up to season one. 

Both seasons do an absolutely wonderful job building up the suspense in the first few episodes. Both somewhat flail about at the end but it’s gotta be difficult carrying it through. 
Season 3,IMO, was a big swing and a miss..  disappointing as I really enjoyed the first two. :kicksrock:

I will admit that some of it is me filtering my preferences and trying to steer her towards stuff that I can tolerate watching too.   Disney stuff has always grated on me a bit.  For us currently nothing beats the NF options of:  Ask the Storybots, Chip and Potato, Llama Llama, Ollie and Moon, and PJ Masks.   Hulu has Doc McStuffins and Curious George if we need something different.  

For those with young kids, our weird family can't get enough of Ask the Storybots on NF.   IMO one of the better shows that I have watched with either kid at a young age.  Just a little weird, but love that they actually talk science and have guest that the parents will laugh at like Snoop Dogg and Keven Smith.   Premise is kids ask questions (why is the sky blue, how to cell phones work, etc.. ) and bots go out into the world to find the answer.  
I agree on Disney for the most part, however we found Bluey on there by accident and it’s wonderful.  Sad it’s only 1 season so far...this is for the youngins’, by the way, the 4-6 range 

Watched Ep 1 of McMillions, and really like it.  Agent Matthews is a character.  
Doug Matthews is the star of that show, along with the wife of the mob guy.  But Doug never failed to crack me up.  Wait 'til you get to the last episode and the fax mishap.

Wife really wanted to see Contagion but then got all pissy that it was a pay for streaming option (and we had a weird “why the hell does $3 make a difference?” argument), so she switched to a lesser, free option called Pandemic...OOF!  I’ve been finding and announcing things found on Amazon for $3 since about five minutes in
Xfinity Flex has Contagion for free.

PSA: If you have Xfinity internet but not Xfinity TV, sign up for Flex (sort of Xfinity's version of a firestick).  It's free and has a ton of free content. 

The Five is pretty decent... 5-6 episodes in now. nothing amazing or overly memorable, but a good watch.

very "the sinner" esque
If you like The Five, try "Safe" and "The Stranger". Same author (and many of the same actors). He does seem to have a thing for illegitimate children.

Finished "Tiger King" last night. Meh. Like a very poor man's Errol Morris. Growing up in the South, I have come into contact with way too many of those types of people.

If you like The Five, try "Safe" and "The Stranger". Same author (and many of the same actors). He does seem to have a thing for illegitimate children.
ya, we already watched those 2, and ended up on this one... all so very similar. kinda weird in that regard

a girl I'm seeing couldn't believe that I've never seen Dirty Dancing so we watched it. Swayze is a pouty whiney dance robot, and his partner is named... Baby. ugh. Cheesy bad movie. There's a scene where the song being played is the same as when Dalton had sex with the hot doc in Roadhouse. That gave me the thought that DD is the women's version of RH.

Xfinity Flex has Contagion for free.

PSA: If you have Xfinity internet but not Xfinity TV, sign up for Flex (sort of Xfinity's version of a firestick).  It's free and has a ton of free content. 
Thought there was something about this service where they block Kodi-like content from your other devices  :shrug:

a girl I'm seeing couldn't believe that I've never seen Dirty Dancing so we watched it. Swayze is a pouty whiney dance robot, and his partner is named... Baby. ugh. Cheesy bad movie. There's a scene where the song being played is the same as when Dalton had sex with the hot doc in Roadhouse. That gave me the thought that DD is the women's version of RH.
I was always under the impression that RH was primarily a female-focused movie too -- the bad boy with a heart of gold trope. Outside of Jeff Healey, not tons of compelling things in RH that held my attention. 

I've never seen Dirty Dancing. I'm as big a fan of Jerry Orbach as the next person but this was not what I expected at all. 

The Fare on Amazon Prime.  Kind of freaky, like a slightly longer Twilight Zone episode.  Only 80 minutes.    Not bad though.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing House Arrest 2020 has taught me..

Netflix, Hulu, and Roku have a veritable freakton of pure garbage.  Obviously, the also have some very good/great offerings but, good gravy.

These streaming services are basically on the brink of simply reinventing the crappy cable packaging we all hate.  

Netflix, Hulu, and Roku have a veritable freakton of pure garbage.  Obviously, the also have some very good/great offerings but, good gravy.

These streaming services are basically on the brink of simply reinventing the crappy cable packaging we all hate.  
So much crap. I just find myself now skimming the Apple TV and paying 3.99 to rent whatever I want. 

So much crap. I just find myself now skimming the Apple TV and paying 3.99 to rent whatever I want. 
Oh and nothing makes me fear for the future of our collective society than the “trending now” or “most popular” lists.

A couple of weeks ago I saw something called “All American” pop up on the Netflix top ten or whatever.  Didn’t know anything about it except it was about football. 

After 20 minutes I wanted to punch people.  It made “Friday Night Lights (tv)” look like Band of Brothers.

When it came out, Dirty Dancing was a great date movie.

OrtonToOlsen said:

Don’t you hate everything but for movies where one can fill an entire room of an apartment up with water?

OrtonToOlsen said:
Oh and nothing makes me fear for the future of our collective society than the “trending now” or “most popular” lists.

A couple of weeks ago I saw something called “All American” pop up on the Netflix top ten or whatever.  Didn’t know anything about it except it was about football. 

After 20 minutes I wanted to punch people.  It made “Friday Night Lights (tv)” look like Band of Brothers.
All American is a CW Network show. Safe to say you are not the target market for that one unless you are a teenager.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're watching S2 of the CBS Star trek series. 2 in and it's quite good. Like the cast a lot (outside of the "funny" young red head) and feel like it hits the highs of previous star treks in terms of writing, characters, action, plot- per ep, and season arc.
We're a few more in. Not digging it as much, but still ok. Millennial redhead seems really out of place, and some arc-issues for me, writing-wise. But still ok 

OrtonToOlsen said:

Been preaching this for years now!!   They basically just throw crap at the wall and hope a couple hits stick.  Especially NF - they have cornered the market of the business model of trying to buy as much up and go quantity over quality (well, until now when they are losing stuff to other streaming service).  Basically the anti-HBO.  

El Floppo said:
Did anybody watch the movie Midsommar? Recommend? I keep looking at it, but not diving in.
I loved Hereditary, but thought this was merely OK.   

Also based on the nature of the movie, it's something that I would never recommend to anybody.  Very graphic when it call for it, and honestly wouldn't think any non-horror fans would have interest.  (even though it's not much of a "horror" movie either).    It's well shot, and based on this and Hereditary I will be watching whatever Aster puts out next, but just wasn't on board here.  Not sure any of that helps - I am purposely trying not to talk specifically about the movie.  

I loved Hereditary, but thought this was merely OK.   

Also based on the nature of the movie, it's something that I would never recommend to anybody.  Very graphic when it call for it, and honestly wouldn't think any non-horror fans would have interest.  (even though it's not much of a "horror" movie either).    It's well shot, and based on this and Hereditary I will be watching whatever Aster puts out next, but just wasn't on board here.  Not sure any of that helps - I am purposely trying not to talk specifically about the movie.  
I was pretty meh on hereditary- IIRC, I found it derivative even though I appreciated the creepy scene setting the director was able squeeze out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread