What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (8 Viewers)

If the zombies become peripheral I probably won't stick with it. Based on the writing and acting in the first episode, which was very average, I don't think a drama about these people dealing with each other is enough to support a good show.
I said the same thing about polar bears on Lost, wish I'd followed through.
Yea I bailed on Lost after the buried shelter was found.

MONSTER ratings for the first episode.

5.3mm viewers, 3.6mm in the 18-49 demo. Best AMC ratings ever, and best ratings for a new cable series this year.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/liv...d-ratings-34098

By comparison, Mad Men had less than 1 million viewers the first episode and Rubicon and Breaking Bad were both under 2 million.
Not surprising since zombies >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 60's ad execs, meth dealers and federal agents.

Couple of complaints:1) If you saw the Comic-con trailer, none of this surprised you. That more or less told the whole story in two minutes.2) I think the ending diluted the situation he was in (the radio broadcast to the tank). I think they should have ended it with the tank lid closing. Personally, a better ending would have been him in the tank with the realization that the zombies banging would only attract more zombies....thus entombing him until he dies....
To take it a step further, they should have cut to years in the future, showing him as a corpse slumped against the army dude.
Yeah...I had heard that no characters were safe in the comic and that's what I thought was going to happen. The next episode was going to go to someone else (maybe his partner and wife) and some time later in the show, when the viewer forgot about the Sheriff.....someone would come across the tank.

Also the beginning was a rip off of 28 days later.
I haven't watched the episode yet (its on my dvr), but I think a bunch of people have already pointed out that the waking-up-in-the-hospital beginning predates 28 Days.
28 days later was the first zombie film I saw with it done.
Technically 28 Days Later didn't have "zombies". :confused:
Technically true - which is the best kind to be.

I loved it. I really like how there was sympathy for the zombies developed. Cant wait for next week.
Really liked the scene with the 1/2 zombie, and liked the concept of the wife returning to the house - thought that was really creepy (although I agree with the other posts that the sniper scene was a little over-done).
I did not feel it was over done at all. It was one of the things I liked about the show. That would be a horrible situation to be in if you love your wife. I really feel that added to the show.

I loved it. I really like how there was sympathy for the zombies developed. Cant wait for next week.
Really liked the scene with the 1/2 zombie, and liked the concept of the wife returning to the house - thought that was really creepy (although I agree with the other posts that the sniper scene was a little over-done).
I did not feel it was over done at all. It was one of the things I liked about the show. That would be a horrible situation to be in if you love your wife. I really feel that added to the show.
Concept was good for sure, just didn't think the acting was good enough to pull off the scene.

That half zombie will be in my nightmares tonight. Excellent makeup/effects on her.
I posted this video on page 1 but think you'd really enjoy it. It's specifically about the makeup fx used to create "Bicycle Girl", the zombie you're referring to here. They talk about choosing the actress, designed/applied the prosthetics and finally a time laps video of the make-up application.Bicycle Girl

Enjoy!
That's some good music they threw on the time lapse video. Very upbeat.

Thought this was very good for TV. Was afraid it was going to be SciFi channel type cheesy but was not.

Impressed with the special effects. Not sure if I like the actors yet. I thought the dude with his son over-acted a bit. Definitely has potential. One thing I always wonder about watching zombie movies...are the characters familiar with the concept of zombies before they show up? When the dude with his son explained how the dead came alive, how they became "walkers", the cop was like huh? I would have said, "So...they're zombies?" Is the concept completely foreign to everyone?
IMO, most times the concept of zombies is foreign to the characters - i.e., they're not horror fans and as such would not be "in the know" as to what they're experiencing. The characters know that these people were alive, died, and then came back to life. It's only over time that they come to realize what they're facing.
You're talking about zombies, right?
Yes.

prosopis said:
:goodposting: Finally got a chance to watch last night, and after seeing the comments here about that scene I was expecting really over-the-top acting. To my surprise I didn't feel that at all, I thought it was very well done. :shrug:

Booyah! :sadbanana:

'Walking Dead' a Monster Smash

AMC's The Walking Dead premiere ratings are enormous: The 90-minute Halloween night debut delivered 5.3 million viewers and a 3.3 adults 18-49 rating.

That's the largest demo audience for any series premiere on any cable network this year.

It's also the highest numbers for any series in AMC's history, and beat most non-sports programs on broadcast Sunday night.

The critically acclaimed zombie drama was by no means a sure-fire ratings victory. Industry insiders wondered whether female viewers would be drawn to the gory and apocalyptic subject matter. But mounting buzz on the show ever since its trailed debuted at Comic-Con made Walking Dead a must-see among genre fans.

“It’s a good day to be dead. We are so proud of this series, its depth of storytelling and the remarkable talent attached,” said Charlie Collier, AMC’s president. “As the network dedicated to bringing viewers the best stories on television, we are so pleased to have the opportunity with The Walking Dead to raise the bar within this popular genre and continue our commitment to being the home of premium television on basic cable.”

“The Walking Dead is that rare piece of programming that works on so many levels. It is legitimately great storytelling that is not only highly entertaining, but incredibly thought provoking as well. People who are familiar with the comic books know what's coming, but suffice it to say, this is only the beginning of a long, intense, and powerful ride. Long live The Walking Dead,” said Joel Stillerman, AMC’s SVP of original programming, production and digital content.

An aside: I've seen through episode three and if you liked the premiere you're going to love the next two hours.

Unless Walking Dead suffers an enormous ratings drop off in the coming weeks, a second season order is very likely. These numbers are well above the bar set by Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

Booyah! :moneybag:

AMC's The Walking Dead premiere ratings are enormous: The 90-minute Halloween night debut delivered 5.3 million viewers and a 3.3 adults 18-49 rating.

That's the largest demo audience for any series premiere on any cable network this year.

It's also the highest numbers for any series in AMC's history, and beat most non-sports programs on broadcast Sunday night.

The critically acclaimed zombie drama was by no means a sure-fire ratings victory. Industry insiders wondered whether female viewers would be drawn to the gory and apocalyptic subject matter. But mounting buzz on the show ever since its trailed debuted at Comic-Con made Walking Dead a must-see among genre fans.

“It’s a good day to be dead. We are so proud of this series, its depth of storytelling and the remarkable talent attached,” said Charlie Collier, AMC’s president. “As the network dedicated to bringing viewers the best stories on television, we are so pleased to have the opportunity with The Walking Dead to raise the bar within this popular genre and continue our commitment to being the home of premium television on basic cable.”

“The Walking Dead is that rare piece of programming that works on so many levels. It is legitimately great storytelling that is not only highly entertaining, but incredibly thought provoking as well. People who are familiar with the comic books know what's coming, but suffice it to say, this is only the beginning of a long, intense, and powerful ride. Long live The Walking Dead,” said Joel Stillerman, AMC’s SVP of original programming, production and digital content.

An aside: I've seen through episode three and if you liked the premiere you're going to love the next two hours.

Unless Walking Dead suffers an enormous ratings drop off in the coming weeks, a second season order is very likely. These numbers are well above the bar set by Mad Men and Breaking Bad.
:pickle: :pickle: :pickle:

Booyah! :thumbup:

Hopefully this will seal the deal for more episodes. They only produced six for the release, guessing they are very expensive to make.

Booyah! :thumbup:

Hopefully this will seal the deal for more episodes. They only produced six for the release, guessing they are very expensive to make.
Darabount was quoted a few weeks back saying that season 2 would be a 13 episode run. He then quickly backtracked saying that would only hold true if the ratings were good.If they can hold a 4 million viewer average, we are certainly going to see a season 2 IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't read the whole thing, but yay or nay on this show? Worth a dvr spot?

To say this is awesome would be wrong. Awesome isbt nearly a strong enough word . This is breaking bad good.
It's only one show in but you set some really high expectations that this show didn't even come close to justifying.I watched it last night and was pretty excited about it just on reading some of the reviews here. Gotta say I was disappointed. I thought it was pretty slow in a lot of parts, it wasn't awful but it was hardly anything that blew my mind.

I'll keep watching but they are going to need to develop a good storyline aside from just running and shooting zombies or this will get old fast. So far the storylines they have set up seem to be pretty standard so Im not convinced the writing will be all that great.

So far the storylines they have set up seem to be pretty standard so Im not convinced the writing will be all that great.
If you have read the thread you will see that those of us that know the story are cautioning people about the first episode and making judgements like this.While the episode was solid and stuck to the comics, you DO NOT yet have any story lines or arcs yet to follow nor have you met even more that 25% of the important characters in the story.I would seriously watch the entire season (it is only 6 episodes) before making any judgments on characters or story lines.

To say this is awesome would be wrong. Awesome isbt nearly a strong enough word . This is breaking bad good.
It's only one show in but you set some really high expectations that this show didn't even come close to justifying.I watched it last night and was pretty excited about it just on reading some of the reviews here. Gotta say I was disappointed. I thought it was pretty slow in a lot of parts, it wasn't awful but it was hardly anything that blew my mind.

I'll keep watching but they are going to need to develop a good storyline aside from just running and shooting zombies or this will get old fast. So far the storylines they have set up seem to be pretty standard so Im not convinced the writing will be all that great.
:confused: We have different expectations and likes in TV, as do most people. I thought it was the best TV episode I'd seen since BB concluded. I like the cinematography, the colors, the pace of the story. I really liked it and am looking forward to more episodes.

So far the storylines they have set up seem to be pretty standard so Im not convinced the writing will be all that great.
If you have read the thread you will see that those of us that know the story are cautioning people about the first episode and making judgements like this.While the episode was solid and stuck to the comics, you DO NOT yet have any story lines or arcs yet to follow nor have you met even more that 25% of the important characters in the story.I would seriously watch the entire season (it is only 6 episodes) before making any judgments on characters or story lines.
While I hope you are right, I really hate spoilers of all types so I try to avoid any hints of how the episodes will arc. I am only going off of what I see, if it gets better, I will be happy but really don't want to set expectations too high either.

Fantastic show but, basing on what I've read of the comics, it will never approach Breaking Bad or Mad Men in terms of drama. It's a much larger picture concept, and the characters for the most part are more shallow or predictable than you'd find from the script writers on those programs. It'd be unfair to expect that from this show.

Couple of complaints:1) If you saw the Comic-con trailer, none of this surprised you. That more or less told the whole story in two minutes.2) I think the ending diluted the situation he was in (the radio broadcast to the tank). I think they should have ended it with the tank lid closing. Personally, a better ending would have been him in the tank with the realization that the zombies banging would only attract more zombies....thus entombing him until he dies....
To take it a step further, they should have cut to years in the future, showing him as a corpse slumped against the army dude.
:hifive:

Okay, I'm positive I was looking forward to this as much as anyone here, and I gotta say I was mightily disappointed by the show. I've been reading the comic book from the beginning and based on what I saw in the first episode, they have completely changed the character of Rick Grimes, which, being the core of the books and the narrative perspective around which the rest of the plot hangs, completely alters the overall tone of the show.

Comic book Rick is a square-jawed, all-American police officer, a real can do guy. He's a natural leader, he's instantly likable, he inspires people, he's thoughtful, he makes quick, smart decisions almost all the time. For some reason AMC has decided to make TV Rick a bumbling Sheriff's deputy who gets himself shot in the stupidest way possible and can barely swing a baseball bat. No wonder this guy's wife is so quick to cheat on him with the first alpha male she can find on the flipside of the apocalypse.

Kirkman's original story is about Rick's relationships with the people around him and his personal struggles to cope with the zombie survival scenario and maintain his sanity in the face of all the horrors and tragedies that come his way, his struggle to bear the burden of responsibility for keeping his family and the others around him alive. And I can already tell that that story, if that's the one AMC chooses to tell, is going to be way different from, if not far less compelling and interesting than, the one in the comic. It's a shame because the story in the comic book is great -- there was no reason to change it they way they have. There are more than enough plot similarities to indicate they are going to be faithful to the book in some respects, but their decision to alter things in the way that they have seems to indicate it will be half-hearted at best. Staying true to a lot of what's in the book will actually be impossible because it's a different Rick. It looks like they will probably take similar liberties with most of the other characters in the story so I don't expect to like many of them as much as I do in the comic book, either.

A separate criticism I have of the show is that almost all of the scenes added for the TV script, ie not taken more or less directly from the comic, were very hamfisted and overdone. The conversation in the car with his cop buddy, the guy trying to work up the courage to shoot his wife... None of it really worked for me. Also, details that were changed, the amount of destruction in the hospital hallways, the tanks and helicopters littering the streets, just made the whole scenario that much less believable for me. These may seem like nitpicks but my point is why change things that would have worked better in their original form?

Bottom line, early results indicate that they have missed a softball-style opportunity to portray what should be a classic American television character, and to tell a really good survival story. Kirkman teed it up for these fools and they decided to bunt.

Okay, I'm positive I was looking forward to this as much as anyone here, and I gotta say I was mightily disappointed by the show. I've been reading the comic book from the beginning and based on what I saw in the first episode, they have completely changed the character of Rick Grimes, which, being the core of the books and the narrative perspective around which the rest of the plot hangs, completely alters the overall tone of the show.

Comic book Rick is a square-jawed, all-American police officer, a real can do guy. He's a natural leader, he's instantly likable, he inspires people, he's thoughtful, he makes quick, smart decisions almost all the time. For some reason AMC has decided to make TV Rick a bumbling Sheriff's deputy who gets himself shot in the stupidest way possible and can barely swing a baseball bat. No wonder this guy's wife is so quick to cheat on him with the first alpha male she can find on the flipside of the apocalypse.

Kirkman's original story is about Rick's relationships with the people around him and his personal struggles to cope with the zombie survival scenario and maintain his sanity in the face of all the horrors and tragedies that come his way, his struggle to bear the burden of responsibility for keeping his family and the others around him alive. And I can already tell that that story, if that's the one AMC chooses to tell, is going to be way different from, if not far less compelling and interesting than, the one in the comic. It's a shame because the story in the comic book is great -- there was no reason to change it they way they have. There are more than enough plot similarities to indicate they are going to be faithful to the book in some respects, but their decision to alter things in the way that they have seems to indicate it will be half-hearted at best. Staying true to a lot of what's in the book will actually be impossible because it's a different Rick. It looks like they will probably take similar liberties with most of the other characters in the story so I don't expect to like many of them as much as I do in the comic book, either.

A separate criticism I have of the show is that almost all of the scenes added for the TV script, ie not taken more or less directly from the comic, were very hamfisted and overdone. The conversation in the car with his cop buddy, the guy trying to work up the courage to shoot his wife... None of it really worked for me. Also, details that were changed, the amount of destruction in the hospital hallways, the tanks and helicopters littering the streets, just made the whole scenario that much less believable for me. These may seem like nitpicks but my point is why change things that would have worked better in their original form?

Bottom line, early results indicate that they have missed a softball-style opportunity to portray what should be a classic American television character, and to tell a really good survival story. Kirkman teed it up for these fools and they decided to bunt.
I thought the portrayal of Rick was pretty good. Reading the first couple of comics to start the series you see that Kirkman sets Rick up like this. One of the key elements of the whole series is the evolution of Rick, at least i thought it was. You should read the first few issues again, and see how Rick is protrayed.

I thought the portrayal of Rick was pretty good. Reading the first couple of comics to start the series you see that Kirkman sets Rick up like this. One of the key elements of the whole series is the evolution of Rick, at least i thought it was. You should read the first few issues again, and see how Rick is protrayed.
I just did a few hours ago. I wanted to make sure my memory wasn't distorting things. Turns out I was totally correct, Rick is at his most together, competent, and able in the beginning, right out of the hospital. He definitely evolves in the book, if you really want to call it that; his mood changes and his resolve grows, but he's never more confident and cocksure than in the first couple of issues. But the difference is really in everything about him, he's instantly likable and inspires confidence right off the bat. And that's integral to the character, in my opinion, because he has a longer distance to fall and the reader/viewer cares a lot more when it happens. It makes for a way better story, so far anyway.

I haven't read the comics but I had heard Rick made a lot of stupid decision is the books as well. Wasn't getting on a horse and going clop, clop, clop down the street knowing that loud sounds attract zombies - a very stupid decision - in the comic book?

I haven't read the comics but I had heard Rick made a lot of stupid decision is the books as well. Wasn't getting on a horse and going clop, clop, clop down the street knowing that loud sounds attract zombies - a very stupid decision - in the comic book?
Sure, some superficial aspects of the character are intact, but that's pretty much irrelevant. The character is just different at its core. Read the comics yourself if you're curious. I've read the first five issues tonight and it's equally amazing how much they've changed Rick's wife and the relationship between them, too. Clearly they want to go in different directions with the characters for whatever reason, I'm not saying it will suck, perhaps it will indeed be completely awesome and I'll be glad they knew what they were doing. But so far Kirkman's original story is way better told, and I think it would have made for a much better television show.

Sure, some superficial aspects of the character are intact, but that's pretty much irrelevant. The character is just different at its core. Read the comics yourself if you're curious. I've read the first five issues tonight and it's equally amazing how much they've changed Rick's wife and the relationship between them, too. Clearly they want to go in different directions with the characters for whatever reason, I'm not saying it will suck, perhaps it will indeed be completely awesome and I'll be glad they knew what they were doing. But so far Kirkman's original story is way better told, and I think it would have made for a much better television show.
We're one episode in, GB. A bit early to make sweeping declarations, don't you think?ETA: Sounds like Kirkman is on board with what they're doing:

ComicsAlliance: It seems like the show has been pretty faithful to the comic --

Robert Kirkman: It's extremely faithful, but on top of that there are new characters that aren't in the comic book series, and by adding people in it changes the story a little bit. A lot of the big things you'd expect there to be in the TV show based what's in the comic book -- they happen. But they happen in a different way, so there's still an element of surprise, which was very important to me. I didn't want people to be watching the television show and saying, "Oh, this is when this is going to happen." Or, "This guy's going to be in the show for a while."

CA: "I know when the zombie's going to jump through the window!"

RK: Yeah. So there's a lot of shock value to it even if you've read the comics.

CA: Are there any changes they've made where you think it actually works better for the story?

RK: I will say that there are a lot things that I kinda zoomed past on the way to telling more stories. Very early on in the comic book series, I didn't know how long it was going to last. So there are a lot of things where I would just go, "OK, this happens and then I'm moving on!" They're able to go back and expand a lot of those things in the television show. You get to know Rick a little bit more everything happens; in the comic he says maybe four lines of dialogue before he's in the new zombie world. That's one of the things the show is doing really well: Letting us get to know the characters a little bit more. The character Morgan that Rick meets in the first episode has a lot more screen time, and I think everything Frank added for that character is fabulous. We get to know Shane a little bit better and see more of him... Frank would just come in and find something and say, "This is really cool; I think we can spend more time on this." And on other things, it was like, "You've spent too much time here, Robert, we've moving on." [laughs]

I agree with this. I think this must be just an interpretation thing. I just reread the first few comics that match up to where we are in the story line and I think they have captured Rick very well.

What I've taken away from this discussion is there are far too many of you reading comic books. Pretty sure I graduated out of that class around age 7 and moved on to books with no pictures but to each his own. If any of you are wondering what a ###### looks like, let me know, I can PM you a quality link.

:thumbdown:

What I've taken away from this discussion is there are far too many of you reading comic books. Pretty sure I graduated out of that class around age 7 and moved on to books with no pictures but to each his own. If any of you are wondering what a ###### looks like, let me know, I can PM you a quality link.

:loco:
Some have moved past the looking at pictures part for that as well.

;)
:shock:

That's graphic novel, guy.

Indeed they have, I am not grouping those that read graphic novels in there. I'm afraid if they actually see one live and in person they would turn into a blathering idiot covered in drool. Baby steps at first.

MONSTER ratings for the first episode.

5.3mm viewers, 3.6mm in the 18-49 demo. Best AMC ratings ever, and best ratings for a new cable series this year.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/liv...d-ratings-34098

By comparison, Mad Men had less than 1 million viewers the first episode and Rubicon and Breaking Bad were both under 2 million.
Not surprising since zombies >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 60's ad execs, meth dealers and federal agents.
esp with teenagers viewers,yes.

What I've taken away from this discussion is there are far too many of you reading comic books. Pretty sure I graduated out of that class around age 7 and moved on to books with no pictures but to each his own. If any of you are wondering what a ###### looks like, let me know, I can PM you a quality link. ;)
No Adult would let their child read this mature themed book.

:blackdot:
That's graphic novel, guy.
[sheen]It's not a doll; it's an action figure!!!!

[/sheen]

:D
Indeed they have, I am not grouping those that read graphic novels in there. I'm afraid if they actually see one live and in person they would turn into a blathering idiot covered in drool. Baby steps at first.
I've seen lots of them and this is still my reaction. Don't think I'll ever outgrow that. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread