What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do "dawn" and "don" rhyme? (1 Viewer)

Do "dawn" and "don" rhyme?

• Yes

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • No

Votes: 120 65.6%

• Total voters
I think I see a correlation here, as I've noticed that the vast majority of the people in this thread supporting a different pronunciation between these two words do not post in the "Recently viewed movie thread".

Do you freakazoids watch film? The only modern movie I can even think of in which these two words would be pronounced differently is The Departed. Now that should tell you something...
Most of what you posted here is the opposite of the truth.

I'm flattered that you're looking for my opinion, but I roll with the millions and millions of people who are correctly making the soft o sound and improving this world one long Don at a time.
I'm not "looking for your opinion," I'm trying to figure out the reach of your argument. One of your primary claims is that the two sounds should be pronounced the same because it "makes the English language more difficult to learn and makes dialects more difficult to understand." But I'm fairly certain that you would agree that the language would be hopelessly confusing if there was only one vowel sound, for example. I'm just trying to figure out what you believe to be the optimal number of vowel sounds.
The current number minus the aw sound in cawfee would be a good start. The aw sound in Dawn is secondary to cawfee, which is easily the worst sounding mispronunciation of a word known to modern man.
I'm in awe. Sorry, I mean in ah.
Awe should not be pronounced like awwwww. It's not a cutesy wootsy baby waby sound.
I was in the woods the other day, and I swear I heard an ohl hooting.

I feel they are the same and I can see some maybe saying there is a slight difference, not the majority. Hoever, I was wrong...most of you think they sound different. So I decided to test myself and found a site that predicted where I am from based on words I feel sound the same. The stupid site thinks I am from Minnesota, but that area (Mid-West) is considered the most neutral grammatically. So if people from around there say they are the same..then they are right, just maybe not the majority..since more people live on the coasts.

Awe should not be pronounced like awwwww. It's not a cutesy wootsy baby waby sound.
Yes it should. If you don't you are basically making it an Abbott and Costello routine:Real human being: I am in awww of tims ability to create threads no one cares about.BF: You mean, ahh?RHB: Excuse me?BF: Ahh.RHB: A what?BF: You ahh tim.RHB: Me and tim do what now?BF: No, you are in ahh if tim.RHB: I'm in tims what now? Have you caught some kind of cold or something?BF: Cot and you ah tim.RHB: Look buddy, I don't know what you are implying but I've never done anything with tim on a cot.BF: No, cot, you cot a cold.RHB: What the heck are you saying now?BF: You cot a cold.RHB; Look buddy, I only made a quick comment about tim. Now whatever medical malady you suffer from that makes it hard to form a sentence is getting rather annoying. I didn't catch anything. In fact no one in history has been as healthy as me since the dawn of time.BF: Don. :thumbup:

Yankee23Fan said:
bostonfred said:
Yes it should. If you don't you are basically making it an Abbott and Costello routine:Real human being: I am in awww of tims ability to create threads no one cares about.BF: You mean, ahh?RHB: Excuse me?BF: Ahh.RHB: A what?BF: You ahh tim.RHB: Me and tim do what now?BF: No, you are in ahh if tim.RHB: I'm in tims what now? Have you caught some kind of cold or something?BF: Cot and you ah tim.RHB: Look buddy, I don't know what you are implying but I've never done anything with tim on a cot.BF: No, cot, you cot a cold.RHB: What the heck are you saying now?BF: You cot a cold.RHB; Look buddy, I only made a quick comment about tim. Now whatever medical malady you suffer from that makes it hard to form a sentence is getting rather annoying. I didn't catch anything. In fact no one in history has been as healthy as me since the dawn of time.BF: Don. :lmao:
Epic fail.

Yankee23Fan said:
bostonfred said:
Yes it should. If you don't you are basically making it an Abbott and Costello routine:Real human being: I am in awww of tims ability to create threads no one cares about.BF: You mean, ahh?RHB: Excuse me?BF: Ahh.RHB: A what?BF: You ahh tim.RHB: Me and tim do what now?BF: No, you are in ahh if tim.RHB: I'm in tims what now? Have you caught some kind of cold or something?BF: Cot and you ah tim.RHB: Look buddy, I don't know what you are implying but I've never done anything with tim on a cot.BF: No, cot, you cot a cold.RHB: What the heck are you saying now?BF: You cot a cold.RHB; Look buddy, I only made a quick comment about tim. Now whatever medical malady you suffer from that makes it hard to form a sentence is getting rather annoying. I didn't catch anything. In fact no one in history has been as healthy as me since the dawn of time.BF: Don. :wall:
:lmao:

Yankee23Fan said:
bostonfred said:
Yes it should. If you don't you are basically making it an Abbott and Costello routine:Real human being: I am in awww of tims ability to create threads no one cares about.BF: You mean, ahh?RHB: Excuse me?BF: Ahh.RHB: A what?BF: You ahh tim.RHB: Me and tim do what now?BF: No, you are in ahh if tim.RHB: I'm in tims what now? Have you caught some kind of cold or something?BF: Cot and you ah tim.RHB: Look buddy, I don't know what you are implying but I've never done anything with tim on a cot.BF: No, cot, you cot a cold.RHB: What the heck are you saying now?BF: You cot a cold.RHB; Look buddy, I only made a quick comment about tim. Now whatever medical malady you suffer from that makes it hard to form a sentence is getting rather annoying. I didn't catch anything. In fact no one in history has been as healthy as me since the dawn of time.BF: Don. :lmao:
[Lawng Duk Dawng]No more Yankee23Fan my wankie23Fan.... the dawnger need food![/Lawng Duk Dawng]

Yankee23Fan said:
bostonfred said:
Epic fail.
eh, I tried. Still think he's nuts.

RJS113 said:
I work in a call center, and today I spoke to a woman today who said her name was "Don". Initially I thought it was weird that a woman had a guys name, but then remembered this thread. Then I pulled up her account, and yes, her name was Dawn. But she absolutely said "Don", and no, they don't sound the same.
Except that you just told us a story where they do sound the same...from a woman named Dawn ("Don") no less.

Yankee23Fan said:
bostonfred said:
Yes it should. If you don't you are basically making it an Abbott and Costello routine:Real human being: I am in awww of tims ability to create threads no one cares about.BF: You mean, ahh?RHB: Excuse me?BF: Ahh.RHB: A what?BF: You ahh tim.RHB: Me and tim do what now?BF: No, you are in ahh if tim.RHB: I'm in tims what now? Have you caught some kind of cold or something?BF: Cot and you ah tim.RHB: Look buddy, I don't know what you are implying but I've never done anything with tim on a cot.BF: No, cot, you cot a cold.RHB: What the heck are you saying now?BF: You cot a cold.RHB; Look buddy, I only made a quick comment about tim. Now whatever medical malady you suffer from that makes it hard to form a sentence is getting rather annoying. I didn't catch anything. In fact no one in history has been as healthy as me since the dawn of time.BF: Don. :rolleyes:
Epic fail.
Your humor was too nuanced for those grunting heathens

Yankee23Fan said:
bostonfred said:
Yes it should. If you don't you are basically making it an Abbott and Costello routine:Real human being: I am in awww of tims ability to create threads no one cares about.BF: You mean, ahh?RHB: Excuse me?BF: Ahh.RHB: A what?BF: You ahh tim.RHB: Me and tim do what now?BF: No, you are in ahh if tim.RHB: I'm in tims what now? Have you caught some kind of cold or something?BF: Cot and you ah tim.RHB: Look buddy, I don't know what you are implying but I've never done anything with tim on a cot.BF: No, cot, you cot a cold.RHB: What the heck are you saying now?BF: You cot a cold.RHB; Look buddy, I only made a quick comment about tim. Now whatever medical malady you suffer from that makes it hard to form a sentence is getting rather annoying. I didn't catch anything. In fact no one in history has been as healthy as me since the dawn of time.BF: Don. :thumbup:
Epic fail.
Your humor was too nuanced for those grunting heathens
Ya, that or it made no sense.

RJS113 said:
I work in a call center, and today I spoke to a woman today who said her name was "Don". Initially I thought it was weird that a woman had a guys name, but then remembered this thread. Then I pulled up her account, and yes, her name was Dawn. But she absolutely said "Don", and no, they don't sound the same.
Except that you just told us a story where they do sound the same...from a woman named Dawn ("Don") no less.
Yeah, not really understanding the "Having two different pronunciations avoids confusion" argument.

gianmarco said:
On that note, what about #### and caulk?
They DO NOT rhyme.####=duck=luck=suck=puck=tuckcaulk=Faulk (as in Kevin Faulk)=balk=walk=stalk=talkI could play this game forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is probably like one of those things where some people have good ears and some don't. Some people have a good ear for music, such that they can hear and process the subtle differences in pitch and determine that one person is a bad singer and another is a good singer, or can tell that an instrument is out of tune, even if slightly. So, some of us can actually hear the difference in the sounds, and the minority of us don't. In the same way that I'm embarrassed for someone when they get up at karaoke and think they are good, but they are actually borderline tone-deaf, I am embarrassed for the people in this thread who cannot hear the difference in obviously different-sounding words.

Go sit down and have another beer gang; let the pros handle this English language stuff.

This is probably like one of those things where some people have good ears and some don't. Some people have a good ear for music, such that they can hear and process the subtle differences in pitch and determine that one person is a bad singer and another is a good singer, or can tell that an instrument is out of tune, even if slightly. So, some of us can actually hear the difference in the sounds, and the minority of us don't. In the same way that I'm embarrassed for someone when they get up at karaoke and think they are good, but they are actually borderline tone-deaf, I am embarrassed for the people in this thread who cannot hear the difference in obviously different-sounding words. Go sit down and have another beer gang; let the pros handle this English language stuff.
This has been addressed ad nauseum, but I'll say it again because you're awwwwful at this. I can absolutely hear your sucky aw sound, I just think it's one of the four hundred eighty third worst thing about people from New York. And that's still ahead of the murdering, and the dirty bodegas with cockroaches running over their uncovered twelve hour old food, and the twenty five dollar turkey sandwich at freaking bennigans in times square, and the fact that it's filled with New Yorkers, and countless other intolerable things about "the city".

This is probably like one of those things where some people have good ears and some don't. Some people have a good ear for music, such that they can hear and process the subtle differences in pitch and determine that one person is a bad singer and another is a good singer, or can tell that an instrument is out of tune, even if slightly. So, some of us can actually hear the difference in the sounds, and the minority of us don't. In the same way that I'm embarrassed for someone when they get up at karaoke and think they are good, but they are actually borderline tone-deaf, I am embarrassed for the people in this thread who cannot hear the difference in obviously different-sounding words. Go sit down and have another beer gang; let the pros handle this English language stuff.
This has been addressed ad nauseum, but I'll say it again because you're awwwwful at this. I can absolutely hear your sucky aw sound, I just think it's one of the four hundred eighty third worst thing about people from New York. And that's still ahead of the murdering, and the dirty bodegas with cockroaches running over their uncovered twelve hour old food, and the twenty five dollar turkey sandwich at freaking bennigans in times square, and the fact that it's filled with New Yorkers, and countless other intolerable things about "the city".
The English language was around before New York was. We didn't invent that sound. Lots of New Yorkers butcher it, but the fact remains that this sound exists in the English language regardless of where you're from or where I'm from.

The English language was around before New York was. We didn't invent that sound. Lots of New Yorkers butcher it, but the fact remains that this sound exists in the English language regardless of where you're from or where I'm from.
The New York accent is one of the worst in America and overemphasizes the "aw" sound in a way that I had always assumed was deliberately grating. There are other accents that do this, too, but New Yorkers, in their constant effort to be first no matter what people think of them, make a special effort to stretch out the grating nature of that sound, leaving an aural aftertaste akin to the olfactory aftertaste of the garbage reek that permeates the city.

This is probably like one of those things where some people have good ears and some don't. Some people have a good ear for music, such that they can hear and process the subtle differences in pitch and determine that one person is a bad singer and another is a good singer, or can tell that an instrument is out of tune, even if slightly. So, some of us can actually hear the difference in the sounds, and the minority of us don't. In the same way that I'm embarrassed for someone when they get up at karaoke and think they are good, but they are actually borderline tone-deaf, I am embarrassed for the people in this thread who cannot hear the difference in obviously different-sounding words.

Go sit down and have another beer gang; let the pros handle this English language stuff.
Don't you mean, "New Yawkers"?ETA: Or is it "New Yahkers"? Either way, you NY tards can't pronounce anything right.

The New York accent is one of the worst in America and overemphasizes the "aw" sound in a way that I had always assumed was deliberately grating. There are other accents that do this, too, but New Yorkers, in their constant effort to be first no matter what people think of them, make a special effort to stretch out the grating nature of that sound, leaving an aural aftertaste akin to the olfactory aftertaste of the garbage reek that permeates the city.
Right, you concede the point -- New Yorkers "'overemphasize' the 'aw' sound" -- meaning the sound exists, albeit in a more subtle way than hardcore New Yorkers would pronounce it. I can agree with you that a New York accent is ugly; that doesn't mean there is no difference in the proper pronunciation of the sounds.And it's funny that a Bahston guy is criticizing east coast accents here.

gianmarco said:
They DO NOT rhyme.####=duck=luck=suck=puck=tuckcaulk=Faulk (as in Kevin Faulk)=balk=walk=stalk=talkI could play this game forever.
Nice try, but I'm pretty sure he was referring to the rooster, not the horizontal happy dance.
Oops, my bad.....let's try again, shall we:####=lock=dock=sock=tock=rock=mockcaulk=Faulk (as in Kevin Faulk)=balk=walk=stalk=talkTwo very distinct pronunciations. The first set of words do not rhyme with the second set of words.

Right, you concede the point -- New Yorkers "'overemphasize' the 'aw' sound" -- meaning the sound exists, albeit in a more subtle way than hardcore New Yorkers would pronounce it. I can agree with you that a New York accent is ugly; that doesn't mean there is no difference in the proper pronunciation of the sounds.

And it's funny that a Bahston guy is criticizing east coast accents here.
Nobody said the sound doesn't exist. The sound exists, and it has its proper place, like when you see a baby kitten trying to walk across a freshly waxed linoleum floor. It does not belong anywhere in words like coffee, or dawn, or even Dawn, regardless of age, cuteness, or whether she's a freshly waxed kitten. And while you've repeatedly accused me of an inability to listen, I noticed you still think I'll defend the marblemouthed Bostonian accent. I have no interest in defending our accent, any more than our legendarily bad driving which is matched only by the manhattanite wannabe crowd that live and drive by the mantra that they are the most important person in the world at all times. I'm just saying that there are some spectacularly bad things done to the English language by New Yorkers, and this aw sound is one of them.

gianmarco said:
Nice try, but I'm pretty sure he was referring to the rooster, not the horizontal happy dance.
Oops, my bad.....let's try again, shall we:####=lock=dock=sock=tock=rock=mockcaulk=Faulk (as in Kevin Faulk)=balk=walk=stalk=talkTwo very distinct pronunciations. The first set of words do not rhyme with the second set of words.
:thumbup:They all rhyme to me.

Don does not rhyme with Dawn.

Crock does not rhyme with caulk.

Merry does not rhyme with marry, and neither of those rhymes with Mary.

Distinguishing the vowel sounds in the above words doesn't require the use of the horrendous New York accent, as bostonfred seems to believe. Pronouncing them the same is not "proper" English, as that only adds ambiguity in conversation, which is antithetical to a good spoken language. If you pronounce don and dawn the same, feel free to call it a regional dialect or blame it on your mushmouth parents, but it is certainly neither proper nor preferable.

Don does not rhyme with Dawn.Crock does not rhyme with caulk.Merry does not rhyme with marry, and neither of those rhymes with Mary.Distinguishing the vowel sounds in the above words doesn't require the use of the horrendous New York accent, as bostonfred seems to believe. Pronouncing them the same is not "proper" English, as that only adds ambiguity in conversation, which is antithetical to a good spoken language. If you pronounce don and dawn the same, feel free to call it a regional dialect or blame it on your mushmouth parents, but it is certainly neither proper nor preferable.
I don't quite know how to say this, so I suppose I'll just say it.You're wrong. Which rhymes with long, bong, brong, tong, song.

Don does not rhyme with Dawn.Crock does not rhyme with caulk.Merry does not rhyme with marry, and neither of those rhymes with Mary.Distinguishing the vowel sounds in the above words doesn't require the use of the horrendous New York accent, as bostonfred seems to believe. Pronouncing them the same is not "proper" English, as that only adds ambiguity in conversation, which is antithetical to a good spoken language. If you pronounce don and dawn the same, feel free to call it a regional dialect or blame it on your mushmouth parents, but it is certainly neither proper nor preferable.
:banned:

Distinguishing the vowel sounds in the above words doesn't require the use of the horrendous New York accent, as bostonfred seems to believe. Pronouncing them the same is not "proper" English, as that only adds ambiguity in conversation, which is antithetical to a good spoken language. If you pronounce don and dawn the same, feel free to call it a regional dialect or blame it on your mushmouth parents, but it is certainly neither proper nor preferable.
You're right, people with other accents make bad sounds just like people with New York accents do. That doesn't make them good sounds. And while I understand that you claim some lofty goal of unambiguous conversation, the only people who have claimed to be confused at all by homonyms are the ones who try to pronounce them differently. Why would I admire or emulate people who can't understand proper English and make awful sounding adjustments to otherwise pleasant words?

I don't quite know how to say this, so I suppose I'll just say it.You're wrong. Which rhymes with long, bong, brong, tong, song.
Harry Manback is correct.

gianmarco said:
:scared:They all rhyme to me.
Oh bull ####.

Harry Manback is correct.
:scared:

Right, you concede the point -- New Yorkers "'overemphasize' the 'aw' sound" -- meaning the sound exists, albeit in a more subtle way than hardcore New Yorkers would pronounce it. I can agree with you that a New York accent is ugly; that doesn't mean there is no difference in the proper pronunciation of the sounds.

And it's funny that a Bahston guy is criticizing east coast accents here.
Nobody said the sound doesn't exist. The sound exists, and it has its proper place, like when you see a baby kitten trying to walk across a freshly waxed linoleum floor. It does not belong anywhere in words like coffee, or dawn, or even Dawn, regardless of age, cuteness, or whether she's a freshly waxed kitten. And while you've repeatedly accused me of an inability to listen, I noticed you still think I'll defend the marblemouthed Bostonian accent. I have no interest in defending our accent, any more than our legendarily bad driving which is matched only by the manhattanite wannabe crowd that live and drive by the mantra that they are the most important person in the world at all times. I'm just saying that there are some spectacularly bad things done to the English language by New Yorkers, and this aw sound is one of them.
Friend, I likewise am not about to defend the transgressions committed daily against the English language by my brethren here in the Big Apple. We agree in several respects. Where we don't agree is the part where you continue to insist that the "aw" sound has no place in the word "dawn." Should we leave out the "d" and "n" sounds too? How exactly do you and your pals decide which sounds you feel like leaving out of words and which you won't?Thanks,

Ahtis

bostonfred wins this thread.
for the wrong award?how do you freaks pronounce award, btw?
Ooo-rd, I assume.
:thumbup: We can start with war, which is a homonym of wore, and rhymes with more, four, chore and boar.

Ward sounds like war with a d on the end. It does not sound like word. It rhymes with sword.

Award sounds like a ward or uh-ward. I suppose you could say it almost sounds like oh-word, since uh followed by w sounds almost identical to a hard o. But it's uh-ward.

Users who are viewing this thread