What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do "dawn" and "don" rhyme? (1 Viewer)

Do "dawn" and "don" rhyme?

• Yes

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • No

Votes: 120 65.6%

• Total voters
Matthias said:
Apparently it does in Minneapolis. People are stupid here.

Although I saw words like boughten and I pronounce idea like idear, so what the hell am I to complain.
Ah yes. The Northeast's First Law of Thermodynamics applied to the letter "R": R's can be neither created nor destroyed but rather simply transferred and transformed. So the R's in Hahvahd Yahd end up in your big idear.
They must travel along country borders because all the adults when I lived in Washington warshed their cars.

posted this in the other thread.

http://www.pbs.org/speak/ahead/change/changin/summary/

Language Change

Vowel Shifting

The Sounds, They Are A Shiftin’

Certain vowel sounds are on the move. Matthew Gordon looks at where the sounds of American speech are headed and explains how linguists can put that knowledge to use. Read Full Essay.

Consider these linguistic puzzles:

* The Smiths, natives of Philadelphia, have settled in California and are raising twins Dawn and Don. When Mom or Dad calls either child by name, both kids answer. Even though the parents are pronouncing “Dawn” and “Don” distinctly, the children can’t seem to hear any difference. Why not?

* Ian of Omaha is visiting friends in Michigan, who take him to a neighborhood party. He enjoys the festivities, but something is perplexing. When he introduces himself by saying, “Hi, I’m Ian” (which he pronounces “ee-yun”), many Michiganders look confused. Some ask him why his parents gave him a woman’s name.

The situations suggested by these examples illustrate some of the many changes shaping American English. Often these linguistic developments are quite dramatic and can lead to misunderstandings like those cited above.

The Smiths’ experience highlights a dialect difference between the western states and much of the East. In the parents’ Philadelphia dialect, the names Don and Dawn are pronounced with different vowel sounds. (When saying Dawn the lips are slightly rounded; when saying Don, they are more open.) In California, where the kids learned to speak, Don and Dawn are pronounced the same, as are similar pairs such as caught ~ cot and Pauley ~ Polly. The twins’ speech illustrates a process called “merger,” in which two sounds become one. That merger of Don-and-Dawn’s “o” and “aw” sounds has become widespread throughout the West. The Smiths’ case shows that people with the merger not only don’t distinguish between the vowels in their own pronunciation but also don’t hear the difference in the speech of others.

Ian’s story illustrates another vowel shift in American English. In the Great Lakes region including Michigan, the short a sound of bat and had is often pronounced like the ea of idea; thus, bat sounds like “beeyut” and had like “heeyud.”

When Ian introduced himself, Michiganders thought he said Ann, which they pronounce “ee-yun.” This change is part of a phenomenon known as the Northern Cities Vowel Shift. This pattern also affects the vowels of box, bought, but, bet and bit. The pattern is especially common in urban areas such as Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland and Buffalo; hence the Northern Cities label.

These changes are among several that are spreading across vast parts of the United States. Linguists who study such changes try to identify the factors that drive them. Understanding the process of change can shed new light on the history of American English — and can help predict future developments. This area of linguistic research also has practical applications, such as in the area of computer voice recognition.

Linguists who study vowel shifts increasingly focus on how social factors influence the linguistic landscape. For example, researchers note that the changes illustrated above are taking place without social awareness. Unlike “warsh” for wash etc., the pronunciations described here do not attract comment. They are even heard in the broadcast media. This lack of awareness is a key factor in their spread and suggests that such pronunciations will help to shape the future sound of American English.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fawn rhymes with Dawn

Con ryhmes with Don
All four of these rhyme.You people are so weird.
:confused:
Can you describe phoenetically how you pronounce these words?Fawn/Dawn Use the speaker symbol

Con/Don Use the speaker symbol
:lmao: The broad saying "Fawn" throws a 'd' sound on at the end. What's her problem?
I don't hear a "d" sound at the end. :lmao:

Whether you think they rhyme or not (THEY DON'T!) isn't even the big issue here. If you think both words are pronounced exactly the same way than that doesn't mean they rhyme.That's like saying "there" and "their" rhyme....that's not rhyming, that's just two different words having the exact same pronunciation.
Actually that's a good point. They're homophones.
No they are not. They are half rhymes.
Are you filling the heads of our youth with this nonsense?

Ian’s story illustrates another vowel shift in American English. In the Great Lakes region including Michigan, the short a sound of bat and had is often pronounced like the ea of idea; thus, bat sounds like “beeyut” and had like “heeyud.”
Oof.
never heard that. sounds awful.
That weird kid from Buffalo that was in my class last year couldn't talk either. She said "Lem" instead of "Lamb".

Oof.
Perhaps way up north in Michigan, but I am from the Detroit area and have never heard this in my life.
The sound was probably drowned out by gunfire.

Oof.
Perhaps way up north in Michigan, but I am from the Detroit area and have never heard this in my life.
Sounds like they're describing the Cleveland A.You can spot a Cleveland/Akron native immediately once you've heard it. It's terrible.

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

I like to think I don't have a pronounced southern accent but it's definitely noticeable.

Don/Dawn definitely sound different.

http://www.gotoquiz.com/results/what_ameri...ent_do_you_have

What American accent do you have?

Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."
:lmao:

Oof.
It's certainly true. The long o is the worst invisible diphthong though.Back to the opening post, you might be surprised to learn that "dawn" is more a homophone of "dong" than of "don."

Oof.
Back to the opening post, you might be surprised to learn that "dawn" is more a homophone of "dong" than of "don."
good god

Oof.
Back to the opening post, you might be surprised to learn that "dawn" is more a homophone of "dong" than of "don."
good god
What are you hearing here?
.Sounds like the same word to me.

:lmao:

Edit: I think they swear once or twice in the second link if that matters to anyone.

My Puerto Rican's family hear no distinction between "reach" and "rich" even when I say it (Boston area).

Unless I'm mistaken, I think we all agree on what "Don" sounds like.

The real disagreement is with the pronunciation of "Dawn," and there will never be a consensus because it absolutely depends on where you live. I had to go to Boston for work several years ago, and a guy there kept raving about this hot new intern "Don" ... :unsure:

I made sure he was talking about a female, and finally, only after he WROTE her name did I realize it was "Dawn" he was saying.

Now, I live only one state over from this guy, yet our dialect is completely different.

That Pennsylvania example above is spot-on. I worked at Friday's when I was in college, and we had a kid from western PA. working as a host. His job was to greet the diners, and ask "smoking or non-smoking?" This, of course, was back when you could smoke in a restaurant.

His "smoking or non-smoking" cadence came out as "Smoooouyking or non-smoooouyking." Pretty bizarre.

He was the Myron Cope of TGIF hosts, and it got old after five minutes.

The real disagreement is with the pronunciation of "Dawn," and there will never be a consensus because it absolutely depends on where you live. I had to go to Boston for work several years ago, and a guy there kept raving about this hot new intern "Don" ... :unsure:I made sure he was talking about a female, and finally, only after he WROTE her name did I realize it was "Dawn" he was saying.
Folks from Boston most definitely pronounce Don and Dawn differently.

"I guess, every rose has its thorn

Just like every night has its dawn

Just like every cowboy sings his sad, sad song

Every rose has its thorn"

I think Mr. Bret Michaels has settled this for us. Dawn rhymes with song and thorn.

The word don is insignificant, as it is not part of Poison's lyrical repertoire, and thus no longer germane to the discussion.

The real disagreement is with the pronunciation of "Dawn," and there will never be a consensus because it absolutely depends on where you live. I had to go to Boston for work several years ago, and a guy there kept raving about this hot new intern "Don" ... :unsure: I made sure he was talking about a female, and finally, only after he WROTE her name did I realize it was "Dawn" he was saying.
Well, that settles that. This guy who was born and raised in Boston and said "Don" / "Dawn" indentically was just a figment of my imagination.

The real disagreement is with the pronunciation of "Dawn," and there will never be a consensus because it absolutely depends on where you live. I had to go to Boston for work several years ago, and a guy there kept raving about this hot new intern "Don" ... :unsure: I made sure he was talking about a female, and finally, only after he WROTE her name did I realize it was "Dawn" he was saying.
Well, that settles that. This guy who was born and raised in Boston and said "Don" / "Dawn" indentically was just a figment of my imagination.
:bow:Maybe a sample size of more than one man would serve you a little better.

:bow: Maybe a sample size of more than one man would serve you a little better.
Says the guy in Minnesota.

:shrug: Maybe a sample size of more than one man would serve you a little better.
Says the guy in Minnesota.
Yea. Because if only people were allowed to be born and raised in one state and then move to another. If only.

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.I like to think I don't have a pronounced southern accent but it's definitely noticeable. Don/Dawn definitely sound different.
Got same result, but they sound the same to me.

People who mispronounce Dawn as Doe-un or whatever sound they make are generally the same people who get a cup of koaf-ee and tawk on the fauxn. It's not that I'm incapable of hearing this constant assault on the English language, it's that I refuse to participate in it. The same goes for people who call coupons coo-pons instead of q-pons, or calll the shingles on top of their house a roof when it's really a roof (I don't know how to spell the sounds but it should be an oo instead of a schwah). And while some of you may mistakenly assume that my nickname means you shouldn't stand near me when I say I have a hat on, I can't stand the Boston accent any more than the New York one, and when I try to fake a wicked pissah Bahston accent, I sound worse than Jeff Bridges screaming theyuhs a bahmb in the cah. This is not an issue with any single dialect. The problem is that many accents have adopted the same terrible mispronunciations. Adding a secret vowel to a monosyllabic word like dawn is unacceptable under any circumstances.

Users who are viewing this thread