What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do "dawn" and "don" rhyme? (1 Viewer)

Do "dawn" and "don" rhyme?

• Yes

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • No

Votes: 120 65.6%

• Total voters
Dawn rhymes with lawn.Don rhymes with con.Con does not rhyme with lawn.Therefore, dawn does not rhyme with don.
They all rhyme.
You know that thing that hangs over your head to keep out the sun and rain? An awning? Do you giys pronounce that "onning"??

They didn't put the "aw" there just for shtick, Fred. Aw != o
That sounds like it would be a reasonable argument. So does the oh in John make a different sound than if his name was just Jon? The spellings may all be different, but dawn = john = shonne = deion = obi-wan = han solo = bon bon = yvonne.

Dawn rhymes with lawn.Don rhymes with con.Con does not rhyme with lawn.Therefore, dawn does not rhyme with don.
They all rhyme.
You know that thing that hangs over your head to keep out the sun and rain? An awning? Do you giys pronounce that "onning"??
Yes. Because that's how it is pronounced.
I didn't even realize this one was in question.
Aw-NingnotOn-ing

I would never have imagined this would even be a question, let alone a hotly debated one. "Dawn" and "Don" clearly do not rhyme unless you have some kind of speech impediment.

Aw-Ning

not

On-ing
The word aw-ning rhymes with faw-ning and spaw-ning and co-nning and on-ing.
I have no idea what you're trying to accomplish with this bolding. In your tinitic world, is awning more of an o-uh sound like dawn is pronounced doe-uhn? And does conning somehow inherit this?
who says doe-uhn? that sounds made up. I don't think many people in here pronounce it like that.there is a better/normal way to pronounce dawn that is still very distinct from don.

one has an "aww" in the middle. one doesn't. I'm assuming the west coast people (and Fred apparently) just ignore the w.

who says doe-uhn? that sounds made up. I don't think many people in here pronounce it like that.there is a better/normal way to pronounce dawn that is still very distinct from don.one has an "aww" in the middle. one doesn't. I'm assuming the west coast people (and Fred apparently) just ignore the w.
Wait. Is there a third pronunciation where dawn is distinct from don and yet does not sound like doe-uhn? Say doe-uhn real quickly - merge them from two syllables into a syllable and a half. If this sounds nothing like how you pronounce dawn to you, then I'm intrigued.

who says doe-uhn? that sounds made up. I don't think many people in here pronounce it like that.there is a better/normal way to pronounce dawn that is still very distinct from don.one has an "aww" in the middle. one doesn't. I'm assuming the west coast people (and Fred apparently) just ignore the w.
Wait. Is there a third pronunciation where dawn is distinct from don and yet does not sound like doe-uhn? Say doe-uhn real quickly - merge them from two syllables into a syllable and a half. If this sounds nothing like how you pronounce dawn to you, then I'm intrigued.
Dawn doesn't have an O in it so why would anyone pronounce it like a female deer?

Aw-Ning

not

On-ing
The word awning rhymes with fawning and spawning and conning and on-ing.
:shrug: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/awning

Play the pronunciation audio.
Why bother listening? Obviously some people have difficulties hearing the differences in the vowel sounds. But look at the pronunciation key. Don and Dawn are different. If they sounded the same, they'd have the same pronunciation key. :own3d:

Dawn doesn't have an O in it so why would anyone pronounce it like a female deer?
Ray a drop of golden sun...

I've never heard anyone pronounce Dawn as "don" or as "doe-uhn". It's not 1.5 syllables, it's just 1 syllable. But it's a different vowel sound than don.

This is the exception that proves the rule of the FBG legend.

Married to a chick who rates a 10

Can bench 350lbs

Earns over $250000

But can't pronounce simple monosyllabic words :shrug:

why does Bostonfred talk like he's from California?
Maybe he learned how to speak English from educated people who speak the language properly.
results of this poll and the PBS article I linked suggest otherwise.in what possible way is it "proper" to be unable to distinguish two completely different sounds?
It's not that I'm incapable of hearing this constant assault on the English language, it's that I refuse to participate in it.

I've never heard anyone pronounce Dawn as "don" or as "doe-uhn". It's not 1.5 syllables, it's just 1 syllable. But it's a different vowel sound than don.
I'm trying to describe the vowel sound your "aw" makes. It's hard to do without hearing them. The best description I can give besides o-uh is that it sounds like the throat clearing sound the dude makes in that Disturbed song when he does that oo wah-ah-ah-ah.... aw. aw. aw. aw. oo-wah-ah-ah-ah. And note that I'm distinguishing between aw and ah in the above, because I'm describing your version of "aw".

Hello, exactly.

Not that this matters, but English speakers worlwide who differentiate "Dawn" and "'Don" greatly outnumber those who pronounce them identically.

Neither pronunciation scheme is correct or incorrect -- they are merely dialectical variants.More info here.

Maybe he learned how to speak English from educated people who speak the language properly.
results of this poll and the PBS article I linked suggest otherwise.in what possible way is it "proper" to be unable to distinguish two completely different sounds?
Whoa now. Since when is a Philly accent considered correct?
it's not a Philly thing. It's the world vs California (and Fred)

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa now. Since when is a Philly accent considered correct?
it's not a Philly thing. It's the world vs California (and Fred)
And the entire Midwest.

I'm trying to describe the vowel sound your "aw" makes. It's hard to do without hearing them. The best description I can give besides o-uh is that it sounds like the throat clearing sound the dude makes in that Disturbed song when he does that oo wah-ah-ah-ah.... aw. aw. aw. aw. oo-wah-ah-ah-ah. And note that I'm distinguishing between aw and ah in the above, because I'm describing your version of "aw".
Do you pronounce "gown" and "gone" the same?

For those who don't naturally distinguish the vowels of "Dawn" and "Don", here's an experiment that can help make the difference (in other dialects) clearer. IOW, this will help you experience the two sounds as distinct.

Go ahead and say "Don" out loud in a normal voice. Then lengthen it -- say "Dooooon" slowly. Then you can kind of sing it -- make it like Robert Plant at the beginning of "Immigrant Song": "Daah aaaah AAAAAH aaaahn!" Get used to the vowel that you are producing naturally.

OK, now to make that different "Dawn" vowel. Do the same exact exercises as above, but modify one thing and one thing only: round your lips tightly, like Phoebe Cates going down on the carrot in Fast Times. Yes, this super-tight lip rounding is exagerrated, but it will teach you what's going on when other speakers pronounce "'Dawn" as "Don". When you get used to the lip rounding, you can scale it back and employ it more subtly in your speech.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread