What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***official*** all things Microsoft Xbox One (1 Viewer)

Just to correct one thing, the One will not operate as a set top box. You still will need a cable/satellite receiver. The One is still just a media hub that you'll have to connect to your set top box via HDMI and probably an IR blaster. As for the used games, I don't think the question was whether or not used games would be possible, just how it would work and how much it will affect the pricing of new games. My guess is that the way it will be implemented, used games sellers will have their profits significantly cut into. I'm also betting that the rental market will be eliminated along with the ability to let friends borrow games. At this point, it seems like the PS4 will be the better overall gaming device while the One will be targeting the more average consumer interested in a total media center. And if the unsubsidized One is $500, that will give Sony a pricing advantage IMO. At $60 a year (and possibly more with a rumored price hike), the XBL service is a pretty large additional cost that is built into the PS4.
it seems early to me to decide which one will be the best gaming device, what with us knowing barely anything
There are a lot of factors that go into gaming of course. But the hardware specs on the PS4 blow away those of the One for gaming. And Sony seems to really be focusing on the gaming experience while Microsoft is clearly aiming for the "entertainment" experience.
But for many gamers, there's more to "gaming" than just the machine specs.

Just to correct one thing, the One will not operate as a set top box. You still will need a cable/satellite receiver. The One is still just a media hub that you'll have to connect to your set top box via HDMI and probably an IR blaster.

As for the used games, I don't think the question was whether or not used games would be possible, just how it would work and how much it will affect the pricing of new games. My guess is that the way it will be implemented, used games sellers will have their profits significantly cut into. I'm also betting that the rental market will be eliminated along with the ability to let friends borrow games.

At this point, it seems like the PS4 will be the better overall gaming device while the One will be targeting the more average consumer interested in a total media center.

And if the unsubsidized One is $500, that will give Sony a pricing advantage IMO. At $60 a year (and possibly more with a rumored price hike), the XBL service is a pretty large additional cost that is built into the PS4.
- Thanks for the correction. I was going based on Twitter news feed of the conference that stated it would work as set top box.

- I don't think we'll really know how much it'll affect the used games market for a few months. But I don't plan on paying to borrow a game from my brother-in-law like we tend to often do. Rentals will cost more due to the double dip and I see it taking a huge hit.

- I agree on this one. Being that I've never really owned a PS console, I felt like I jumped on the wrong console for two generations now. Maybe I'll feel the same if I switch. Maybe I'll go PC only.

- I hope for the sake of the XBox One that XBox Live service actually is $60/year. I don't feel confident that will be the case.

I think some have taken my negativity as hate for the new XBox, but it's rather the opposite. I'm afraid that some of the things that Microsoft is doing will possibly kill the XBox. I won't go into the reasons why. But there's a lot of reasons that many of their moves over the last 7-8 years could hurt the game industry as a whole. I'm talking Atari 2600 crash stuff. I'm not the only one that feels this way. I hope we're wrong. I love gaming. I plan on doing it til I'm 6 feet underground.

Just to correct one thing, the One will not operate as a set top box. You still will need a cable/satellite receiver. The One is still just a media hub that you'll have to connect to your set top box via HDMI and probably an IR blaster. As for the used games, I don't think the question was whether or not used games would be possible, just how it would work and how much it will affect the pricing of new games. My guess is that the way it will be implemented, used games sellers will have their profits significantly cut into. I'm also betting that the rental market will be eliminated along with the ability to let friends borrow games. At this point, it seems like the PS4 will be the better overall gaming device while the One will be targeting the more average consumer interested in a total media center. And if the unsubsidized One is $500, that will give Sony a pricing advantage IMO. At $60 a year (and possibly more with a rumored price hike), the XBL service is a pretty large additional cost that is built into the PS4.
it seems early to me to decide which one will be the best gaming device, what with us knowing barely anything
There are a lot of factors that go into gaming of course. But the hardware specs on the PS4 blow away those of the One for gaming. And Sony seems to really be focusing on the gaming experience while Microsoft is clearly aiming for the "entertainment" experience.
most summaries i am reading say the systems are remarkably similar anyway, based on what we know now

and i have no dog in this fight

i owned a playstation 1 and 2, and a PSP

i bought an xbox360 very late in the game because i had access to some used games for free

and i own a ps vita

i'll prefer whichever one is better, it is just way too early to know that

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of interesting, if you browse the #xboxreveal hashtag, it seems mostly negative. Not sure if these are just PS4 fanboys or what. Maybe just the younger audience?

As a dad who has my current 360 as a part of my main entertainment/TV/movie/gaming room, the reveal was awesome. I'm not concerned about the games/gameplay, we'll get more on that later.
I've just been following along at the Guardian, but I don't really care about the other functions that XBOX really offers besides games. They don't do it very well anyways. Not interested in all this Kinect BS being built in at all.
It = ?
The media hub functions. Apps are buggy and you need to pay for a XBL subscription to use them.

>

most summaries i am reading say the systems are remarkably similar anyway, based on what we know now

i bought an xbox360 very late in the game because i had access to some used games for free

and i own a ps vita

From what I've seen so far, both systems are very similar in spec. I think Sony stated that they may change their specs to compete better between the announcement and E3 (or release) so they can still change. It's all up to features and games at this point that I can tell.

>

and i own a ps vita

From what I've seen so far, both systems are very similar in spec. I think Sony stated that they may change their specs to compete better between the announcement and E3 (or release) so they can still change. It's all up to features and games at this point that I can tell.
which could be a good thing, drives innovation into the software development area, more competition

The XBox One will still restrict the playing of used games. They will be tied to one account and you'll have to pay to unlock the ability to play them on another account. Microsoft is really going out of their way to ensure I don't buy the next XBox.

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-is-not-always-online-but-seems-to-block-used-509077987
It sounds like that means you might be able to play games without the disc in the drive? My lazy ### would be disproportionately happy about that.
Yes, but that kills being able to rent games or loaning and borrowing from friends. I don't buy used, but those other things I do all the time.
I honestly don't think they (or any game company) cares about the used market, the rental market, or any of those things. A game's success is generally measured by new sales over the first few weeks/months, and that's it. Why would they care about any secondary market? Nobody except Gamestop and Redbox makes any money from this. A few people will complain on forums, but will probably bite the bullet and jump in anyway, because their other option is to give up the hobby.
Because their consumers care? I'm not trying to say this is a massive deal (though a lot of relatively small deals can certainly add up quick), just pointing out that completely ignoring the opinions of one's consumers in favour of hypothetically getting as many dollars out of these consumers as possible because they know many of their consumers will pony up is what got EA in all the trouble it's currently in.
Like I added onto my post, all-digital is coming sooner rather than later. So basically, you are saying they shouldn't do that so people can keep renting?

I don't see them flinching one bit at angering the used/rental market. Because that anger is coming anyway once everything moves to download-only (which I'm sure game publishers and developers are all too happy to jump onboard with - they would love to stop printing/shipping physical media). Really, there's no way to stop it. They know people will be angry for a little while, then they will either give up the hobby, or adapt to the new digital-only model.
I wasn't saying anything about game renting in particular, I was saying Microsoft should care about it as much as anything else their consumers care about. Ignoring your consumers opinions completely is how EA got in the mess they are in now.

And download-only may be coming sooner than later, but I don't think that's particularly relevant with this generation of systems because we're definitely not there yet. 500GB hard drives that these systems will be having is very little when compared to modern computers/laptops, especially if the xbox is going to be used as a media hub, considering these blockbuster console games take up large amounts of hard drive space themselves. These systems just aren't powerful enough to support download-only for those who actually use the systems frequently, which are Microsofts most important customers.

>

and i own a ps vita

which could be a good thing, drives innovation into the software development area, more competition
I wonder how easy it is to develop for the X1. I've read so many articles on how easy the PS4 is to develop for compared to the PS3. The PS4 uses a dev kit that is easy to port from PS4 to PC and vice versa. Microsoft would be smart if they did theirs the same way.

here's the first 3 pages i got when i googled to compare hardware, none seem to think at this point PS4 blow away the One specs

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/156273-xbox-720-vs-ps4-vs-pc-how-the-hardware-specs-compare

Ultimately, with both the Xbox 720 and PS4 having such similar hardware, real-world performance differences will probably come down to how well the consoles make use of those eight CPU cores and GPU offloading. It’s also important to bear in mind that a huge speed-up is available when developing games for a fixed platform, with known performance/latency characteristics. Realistically, we wouldn’t be surprised if games on the Xbox 720 and PS4, just like the current generation, look very similar. Likewise, games will probably look better on consoles for a few years, and then PCs will probably pull back ahead.

http://www.gameranx.com/features/id/14815/article/xbox-one-vs-ps4-specs-and-hardware-compared/

Today at Microsoft's event in Redmond, Washington, officially announcing the Xbox One, among the details unveiled were specifications about the hardware that the next-generation console is packing, as detailed by Microsoft's Marc Whitten.

The Xbox One sports a reasonable set of specifications. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's several times better, faster, and more efficient than the Xbox 360.

That said, it's difficult to tell how well it compares to the PLayStation 4 as Microsoft has been slightly reticent with its actual specifications. Aside from the new Kinect that the Xbox One offers and the software built into the system, the specs look similar to its counterpart at Sony.

http://www.newgamernation.com/xbox-one-and-ps4-specs-compared527-9885/

While both machines are very comparable, there are some key differences. The Xbox One is using a custom architecture while the PS4 is using an AMD architecture. Both machines use 8 GB of RAM but the PS4 is using GDDR5 RAM while the One is using DDR3. GDDR5 is faster at 5x the data rate whereas DDR3 is only 3x. This marks a significant difference in RAM performance. It is safe to assume the PS4 hard drive will be at least 500 GB to 1 TB so there should be no difference there. Both machines look quite powerful, but let us know what you think about the comparison
The PS4 RAM blows away the One's RAM and you can bet that their processor does too. Otherwise Microsoft would have been trumpeting the actual specs of their processor today instead of announcing how many transistors it has :lmao:

It's not like PS4 compared to the WiiU, but it will be pretty close to a high end gaming PC compared to a very good gaming PC.

It's not going to affect things like screen resolution, but it will probably have an effect on things like fps, AI, texture resolutions, stuff they can pack on screen, and possibly other bandwidth items down the road similar to the PS3 having issues with voice features and RAM issues like in Skyrim.

The XBox One will still restrict the playing of used games. They will be tied to one account and you'll have to pay to unlock the ability to play them on another account. Microsoft is really going out of their way to ensure I don't buy the next XBox.

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-is-not-always-online-but-seems-to-block-used-509077987
It sounds like that means you might be able to play games without the disc in the drive? My lazy ### would be disproportionately happy about that.
Yes, but that kills being able to rent games or loaning and borrowing from friends. I don't buy used, but those other things I do all the time.
I honestly don't think they (or any game company) cares about the used market, the rental market, or any of those things. A game's success is generally measured by new sales over the first few weeks/months, and that's it. Why would they care about any secondary market? Nobody except Gamestop and Redbox makes any money from this. A few people will complain on forums, but will probably bite the bullet and jump in anyway, because their other option is to give up the hobby.
Because their consumers care? I'm not trying to say this is a massive deal (though a lot of relatively small deals can certainly add up quick), just pointing out that completely ignoring the opinions of one's consumers in favour of hypothetically getting as many dollars out of these consumers as possible because they know many of their consumers will pony up is what got EA in all the trouble it's currently in.
Like I added onto my post, all-digital is coming sooner rather than later. So basically, you are saying they shouldn't do that so people can keep renting?

I don't see them flinching one bit at angering the used/rental market. Because that anger is coming anyway once everything moves to download-only (which I'm sure game publishers and developers are all too happy to jump onboard with - they would love to stop printing/shipping physical media). Really, there's no way to stop it. They know people will be angry for a little while, then they will either give up the hobby, or adapt to the new digital-only model.
I wasn't saying anything about game renting in particular, I was saying Microsoft should care about it as much as anything else their consumers care about. Ignoring your consumers opinions completely is how EA got in the mess they are in now.

And download-only may be coming sooner than later, but I don't think that's particularly relevant with this generation of systems because we're definitely not there yet. 500GB hard drives that these systems will be having is very little when compared to modern computers/laptops, especially if the xbox is going to be used as a media hub, considering these blockbuster console games take up large amounts of hard drive space themselves. These systems just aren't powerful enough to support download-only for those who actually use the systems frequently, which are Microsofts most important customers.
This is true - 500gb is not going to be much for the hardcore gamer. My guess is the next model a year from now includes a TB hdd.

I certainly agree. And there is a lot of room to see where this all goes. At this point though, it's pretty clear that Sony is trying to position themselves as the gaming console and Microsoft is trying to position themselves as an all around entertainment console. Both machines should be theoretically capable of similar things, it's a matter of how they're utilized. It will be interesting to see which approach the general public embraces more.

I certainly agree. And there is a lot of room to see where this all goes. At this point though, it's pretty clear that Sony is trying to position themselves as the gaming console and Microsoft is trying to position themselves as an all around entertainment console. Both machines should be theoretically capable of similar things, it's a matter of how they're utilized. It will be interesting to see which approach the general public embraces more.
I've been an xbox guy all along, but if Sony every wanted to convert me, now's the time.

This is true - 500gb is not going to be much for the hardcore gamer. My guess is the next model a year from now includes a TB hdd.
The key is going to be figuring out when they build a model that doesn't break all the time.

I don't think it's clear at all. Sony didn't show me much at their reveal. They showed games, yes, but there was nothing that knocks your socks off feature wise. Microsoft will show what they have games wise in a few weeks, and then we can see where we are. But if XB1 and PS4 end up similar gaming wise, then so far it seems like the XB1 offers much more outside of that.

here's the first 3 pages i got when i googled to compare hardware, none seem to think at this point PS4 blow away the One specs

snip
The PS4 RAM blows away the One's RAM and you can bet that their processor does too. Otherwise Microsoft would have been trumpeting the actual specs of their processor today instead of announcing how many transistors it has :lmao:

It's not like PS4 compared to the WiiU, but it will be pretty close to a high end gaming PC compared to a very good gaming PC.

It's not going to affect things like screen resolution, but it will probably have an effect on things like fps, AI, texture resolutions, stuff they can pack on screen, and possibly other bandwidth items down the road similar to the PS3 having issues with voice features and RAM issues like in Skyrim.
That reminded me of the "bit wars" from the 80's and 90's. Because as we all know, the

was better than the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo because 64 bits > 16 bits. :lmao:

The key is going to be figuring out when they build a model that doesn't break all the time.
I think they prettywell have that figured out now (but yea, let's hope it translates to the new one.)

Even given Grove's clarification earlier on this page about how it will not replace your set top box, I still don't understand how the TV thing will integrate. Cable box/Sat box pushes out a signal to the XB1 via HDMI, and you have an option of passing through the audio to a receiver... I get that part. What I don't get is how the XB1 will give feedback to the cable box/TV service.

I don't think it's clear at all. Sony didn't show me much at their reveal. They showed games, yes, but there was nothing that knocks your socks off feature wise. Microsoft will show what they have games wise in a few weeks, and then we can see where we are. But if XB1 and PS4 end up similar gaming wise, then so far it seems like the XB1 offers much more outside of that.
Well, I think Sony showed a lot of games in their reveal precisely because they're positioning themselves as a gaming console. That's kind of my point. You emphasize what your biggest attraction is at your reveal. That's your first chance to establish your brand and your marketing message.

That can all change, but I've read in multiple places now that the messages coming from Microsoft and Sony so far are very intentional and that Sony is indeed focusing on gamers and Microsoft is focusing on the whole entertainment experience.

Maybe Halo and their EA "partnership" will be enough for them to grab the average gamer's attention without a more focused push for gamers.

This isn't really just my opinion or attempt to be a fanboy in any way. I already told my PS3 friends that I'm buying whatever console is a better deal and offers a better gaming experience. I really don't care who makes it. And maybe it's just marketing speak, but the messages from the reveals along with what has apparently been relayed to key media people seem pretty clear at this point as to who each one is speaking to at this point.

Even given Grove's clarification earlier on this page about how it will not replace your set top box, I still don't understand how the TV thing will integrate. Cable box/Sat box pushes out a signal to the XB1 via HDMI, and you have an option of passing through the audio to a receiver... I get that part. What I don't get is how the XB1 will give feedback to the cable box/TV service.
A commenter at ArsTechnica said that there is an IR blaster Out on the back of the XB1. So you run the cable from that into the set top box and it allows the XB1 to send that control signal to the box.

I also know that HDMI can pass along control instructions too. I'm not sure what all is involved in that, but I know that if I have an LG BluRay player hooked up to my LG tv via HDMI, it allows me to control both via one controller.

Well, I think Sony showed a lot of games in their reveal precisely because they're positioning themselves as a gaming console. That's kind of my point. You emphasize what your biggest attraction is at your reveal. That's your first chance to establish your brand and your marketing message.

That can all change, but I've read in multiple places now that the messages coming from Microsoft and Sony so far are very intentional and that Sony is indeed focusing on gamers and Microsoft is focusing on the whole entertainment experience.

Maybe Halo and their EA "partnership" will be enough for them to grab the average gamer's attention without a more focused push for gamers.

This isn't really just my opinion or attempt to be a fanboy in any way. I already told my PS3 friends that I'm buying whatever console is a better deal and offers a better gaming experience. I really don't care who makes it. And maybe it's just marketing speak, but the messages from the reveals along with what has apparently been relayed to key media people seem pretty clear at this point as to who each one is speaking to at this point.
Ok. I guess I just see their reveal today as trying to fix the mistakes Sony made during their reveal while serving to build momentum through E3. I guess we'll see what happens at E3 and how the different strategies play out.

Tivo boxes have been able to do this for over a decade.

Do they basically replace your STB? Basically removing your need to ever control it, accessing the programming just through the TiVo unit? I've never had one.

Do they basically replace your STB? Basically removing your need to ever control it, accessing the programming just through the TiVo unit? I've never had one.
Some of them do. Some of them still require the set top box to transmit the digital and HD channels. You can access basic cable via coax and in that case you don't have to have a set top box. But these days, more we prefer digital and HD channels. If you get one that acts as a set top, you'll have to set it up with help of the cable or satellite service settings. Most cable or satellite services now have their own DVR and most of them use Tivo already, so there's no need for the outside box.

Also, if you get the Tivo outside your cable/sat provider, you'll still have to pay for the Tivo service, which was $12.95/month when I last used it. That service has many multimedia features now, along with getting program data and other stuff. Used to, it was only for program data. Now you can watch Hulu and Netflix on the Tivo, use streaming music services, many of the same things that XBox Live provides.

I think they prettywell have that figured out now (but yea, let's hope it translates to the new one.)
Yeah. I may just skip the Xbox One since I'm still steamed about how I ended up having to pay for two 360s and spent months waiting on repairs that wouldn't work. Halo is the only exclusive game I really play anyways

This is an interesting factiod:

Microsoft's Xbox Live service was launched in 2002, powered by some 500 servers. The upcoming version of the service, will run on 300,000 servers, according to the company. That's more than the entire world's computing power in 1999, Microsoft boasted during the conference. All those servers will be employed, for instance, to record video of game play and store game saves.

For whatever it's worth, Microsoft's stock price was almost static (dropped slightly) despite the big Xbox One announcement today, whereas Sony's stock price rose over 9% in wake of the Xbox One reveal.

This is an interesting factiod:

Microsoft's Xbox Live service was launched in 2002, powered by some 500 servers. The upcoming version of the service, will run on 300,000 servers, according to the company. That's more than the entire world's computing power in 1999, Microsoft boasted during the conference. All those servers will be employed, for instance, to record video of game play and store game saves.
So does this mean that live games are hosted on those servers? Or is my Halo 5 game going to run on some guy's XB1 in Alaska?

and things have officially passed me by..streaming is good with hbo and prime but i only care a little about that and games.... i honestly dont care about anything else... its becoming tough to play sp without a connection

and things have officially passed me buy..streaming is good with hbo and prime but i only care a little about that and games.... i honestly dont care about anything else... its becoming tough to play sp without a connection
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE. YOU MUST ASSIMILATE.

and things have officially passed me buy..streaming is good with hbo and prime but i only care a little about that and games.... i honestly dont care about anything else... its becoming tough to play sp without a connection
I have to admit that although a lot of the stuff seems cool, I feel a bit like this too. (46 y/o here)

explain to me why i would want mycable box going through my xbox..
Explain to me why I would want to take a phone call on my MP3 player.
im serious, i read it wont have dvr capabilities for television so serious question.i still need a cable box so why have both on :shrug:
Many providers will not need a box. IPTV providers, specifically (Uverse, FIOS, and likely cablecard customers as well).

DVR era is nearly over. Everything is converging to on-demand now.

This is one step closer to the entire nation cutting the cable, a move that is happening in accelerating numbers without this and with things like Roku. This system takes XBMC type functionality to the masses.

im serious, i read it wont have dvr capabilities for television so serious question.i still need a cable box so why have both on :shrug:
Many providers will not need a box. IPTV providers, specifically (Uverse, FIOS, and likely cablecard customers as well).

This is one step closer to the entire nation cutting the cable, a move that is happening in accelerating numbers without this and with things like Roku. This system takes XBMC type functionality to the masses.
bull####

Many providers will not need a box. IPTV providers, specifically (Uverse, FIOS, and likely cablecard customers as well). DVR era is nearly over. Everything is converging to on-demand now. This is one step closer to the entire nation cutting the cable, a move that is happening in accelerating numbers without this and with things like Roku. This system takes XBMC type functionality to the masses.
how will you not need a box to receive all the digital hd channels? i can get thw basics with my tv tuner but not everything...

Many providers will not need a box. IPTV providers, specifically (Uverse, FIOS, and likely cablecard customers as well). DVR era is nearly over. Everything is converging to on-demand now. This is one step closer to the entire nation cutting the cable, a move that is happening in accelerating numbers without this and with things like Roku. This system takes XBMC type functionality to the masses.
how will you not need a box to receive all the digital hd channels? i can get thw basics with my tv tuner but not everything...
I'm not sure you are reading the above well. You could have done a no-box cable system with the 360 on uverse. This was the pilot program which they closed quietly in mid 2012. The fact they are doing a pass-thru is the logical extension and then they will draw providers in on a iptv wrap.

Already been confirmed that it does not support Cablecard. So yeah, you will need a box from any cable or satellite provider as well as Uverse and FiOS.

I'm not sure you are reading the above well. You could have done a no-box cable system with the 360 on uverse. This was the pilot program which they closed quietly in mid 2012. The fact they are doing a pass-thru is the logical extension and then they will draw providers in on a iptv wrap.
No, you can't.

"Your Xbox cannot be your only receiver; you must have a DVR or other receiver as a primary receiver."

That's straight from the ATT uverse page.

I had forgotten how GroveDiesel is basically GoonSquad for PS.
:lmao:I've owned one Playstation product and I only bought that one because all my friends that game had already purchased PS3s. I would have preferred a 360. I don't give a crap who makes the system, I just want the best console gaming experience.

Just to correct one thing, the One will not operate as a set top box. You still will need a cable/satellite receiver. The One is still just a media hub that you'll have to connect to your set top box via HDMI and probably an IR blaster.

As for the used games, I don't think the question was whether or not used games would be possible, just how it would work and how much it will affect the pricing of new games. My guess is that the way it will be implemented, used games sellers will have their profits significantly cut into. I'm also betting that the rental market will be eliminated along with the ability to let friends borrow games.

At this point, it seems like the PS4 will be the better overall gaming device while the One will be targeting the more average consumer interested in a total media center.

And if the unsubsidized One is $500, that will give Sony a pricing advantage IMO. At $60 a year (and possibly more with a rumored price hike), the XBL service is a pretty large additional cost that is built into the PS4.
Microsoft has finally unveiled the Xbox 720. Not only have we found out its real name (the Xbox One), but more importantly we’ve found out how the Xbox 720′s hardware stacks up against the PS4 and gaming PCs. While we don’t know the exact hardware spec — console makers never give away all their secrets — all signs point to the Xbox 720 having very, very similar hardware to the PS4, and about on-par with a mid-range gaming PC. This is in stark contrast to the current generation of consoles, which were beastly, noisy, massively expensive machines that blew away all but the highest-end PCs. Merely comparing hardware specs is incredibly naive, though — to find out why, read on.

For the most accurate Xbox 720 hardware specs, we look towards the games development sector, which has been programming Xbox 720 games since last year. The latest leaks suggest that the Xbox 720 will have an 8-core 64-bit x86 Jaguar AMD CPU @ 1.6GHz, coupled with a GPU that’s very close to the Radeon HD 7790. The PS4, in comparison, has an 8-core Jaguar AMD CPU, with a GPU that’s around the Radeon 7870. In both consoles, the CPU and GPU will be on the same die (an AMD APU). Just as the PS4 has 8GB of high-speed memory that is shared by the CPU and GPU, the Xbox 720 — by virtue of being based on the same APU heterogeneous system architecture (HSA) — will probably be the same. In short, while there will undoubtedly be small hardware differences between the consoles, they will ultimately have very similar performance characteristics.

In comparison to a modern PC, you can probably guess how the Xbox 720 compares. There’s no direct comparison for the 8-core Jaguar CPU — AMD’s own parts based on the Jaguar core, Kabini and Temash, are quad-core parts destined for ultrathins and tablets. From leaked benchmarks, the Jaguar core is around 10% faster than its predecessor (Bobcat). A dual-core Brazos (Bobcat core) about 10 times slower than the latest Ivy Bridge parts, in a very naive comparison. So, all in all, an 8-core Jaguar might manage about half the performance of a current-gen Core i7. The GPU comparison is easier: The Radeon 7790 is a $150 card.

In short, then, today’s PCs will stomp all over the Xbox 720 (and PS4) in terms of raw computation power.

It’s now how big it is; it’s what you do with itAnother way of looking at the Xbox 720 and PS4, though, is their power relative to their predecessors. In terms of raw, synthetic performance, the Xbox 360 could churn out around 300 gigaflops; the PS3 was around 400 gigaflops. The Xbox 720 and PS4, however, should both be above two teraflops — about six times more powerful than their predecessors. Remember, the output resolution (1920×1080) is unlikely to change — so, with six times more power, we’re looking at a significant improvement to image quality.

Using teraflops as a stand-in for real-world performance, though, to quote our hardware analyst Joel Hruska, is like “giving the fuel efficiency of a car going downhill with an 80 mph tailwind on helium-inflated tires.” What it ultimately comes down to is how efficiently developers use the hardware — and in that regard, we have high hopes. With the shift to x86, and a GPU architecture (AMD’s GCN) that’s well known, developers will be able to hit the ground running. Compare this to the Cell CPUs at the heart of the Xbox 360 and PS3, which took years for developers to fully understand.

It’s also important to remember that, in recent years, there has been a fundamental shift away from games that do the bulk of their computation on the CPU, to programs that use the CPU to offload computation to the (much more powerful) GPU. With the Xbox 360 and PS3, both consoles had a monstrous Cell-based CPU and an equally large GPU — the PS4 and Xbox 720, on the other hand, have wimpy, many-core CPUs and much larger GPUs. With both consoles expected to fill more of a media center/set-top box role, rather than focusing on gaming, we can foresee those cores being dedicated to background tasks, such as downloading updates or listening for voice commands.

Ultimately, with both the Xbox 720 and PS4 having such similar hardware, real-world performance differences will probably come down to how well the consoles make use of those eight CPU cores and GPU offloading. It’s also important to bear in mind that a huge speed-up is available when developing games for a fixed platform, with known performance/latency characteristics. Realistically, we wouldn’t be surprised if games on the Xbox 720 and PS4, just like the current generation, look very similar. Likewise, games will probably look better on consoles for a few years, and then PCs will probably pull back ahead.
Extreme Tech

What should make your decision about which console to buy should be the games IMO. Not specs as they are pretty equal. If you like Sony exclusives you should probably buy a PS4 for your next console. If it's all about MS games then buy an Xbox. If you got it like Chet get both and rock on.

Already been confirmed that it does not support Cablecard. So yeah, you will need a box from any cable or satellite provider as well as Uverse and FiOS.
You can still do a no box uverse on 360 if you are willing to pay 125, today. I would be stunned if you couldn't roll that in this round.

That's disappointing about cablecard. That was part of the rumor stuff so I thought it would have gone through.

You can still do a no box uverse on 360 if you are willing to pay 125, today. I would be stunned if you couldn't roll that in this round.

That's disappointing about cablecard. That was part of the rumor stuff so I thought it would have gone through.
The info in the link here seems to say to me that you still need a uverse receiver in addition to the 360.

http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/xbox-receiver.jsp#fbid=6oES0uSK59-

Well, I think Sony showed a lot of games in their reveal precisely because they're positioning themselves as a gaming console. That's kind of my point. You emphasize what your biggest attraction is at your reveal. That's your first chance to establish your brand and your marketing message. That can all change, but I've read in multiple places now that the messages coming from Microsoft and Sony so far are very intentional and that Sony is indeed focusing on gamers and Microsoft is focusing on the whole entertainment experience. Maybe Halo and their EA "partnership" will be enough for them to grab the average gamer's attention without a more focused push for gamers. This isn't really just my opinion or attempt to be a fanboy in any way. I already told my PS3 friends that I'm buying whatever console is a better deal and offers a better gaming experience. I really don't care who makes it. And maybe it's just marketing speak, but the messages from the reveals along with what has apparently been relayed to key media people seem pretty clear at this point as to who each one is speaking to at this point.
Ok. I guess I just see their reveal today as trying to fix the mistakes Sony made during their reveal while serving to build momentum through E3. I guess we'll see what happens at E3 and how the different strategies play out.
This was my assumption. All anyone did after the PS4 reveal was talk #### about how they didn't even show the actual console or what it could do.So I kinda saw this as Xbox going the opposite way to generate positive vibes in the gaming community. What they failed to take into account is that SOME info is never enough for gamers, and we'll always find something to complain about even though just 15 years ago I was stuck playing Donkey Kong Country 2 or some ####. Nothing's ever enough for us.

Users who are viewing this thread