What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will all this talk of RBBC and short careers (1 Viewer)

Scooby1974

Footballguy
The more we talk about this incoming class, rbbc, and the relatively short careers of running backs. The more I wonder if those with the top 2 rookie picks should go Green/Julio and let someone else deal with the likely rbbc with Ingram/LeShoure and pick up a "lesser" RB in later in the draft. When you think about receivers, they can usually play 12-15 years if they take good care of themselves. What is the average "life span" of a rb?

In a class with a super stud rb then I think that guy has to go #1 in most scoring systems since they favor rb's, but in a class like this with no top tier rb guys like aj and Julio are no brainer top 2 picks in dynasty leagues.

This is the average career length for players drafted between 1985 and 2000 (sample size in parentheses):

RBs drafted in the top 10: 8.24 seasons (22)

RBs drafted in the rest of the 1st round: 6.9 seasons (41)

RBs drafted in the 2nd round: 6.14 seasons (49)

RBs drafted in the 3rd round: 5.16 seasons (50)

WRs drafted in the 1st round: 8.60 seasons (54)

WRs drafted in the 2nd round: 6.63 seasons (58)

QBs drafted in the top 5: 10.53 seasons (15)

QBs drafted in the rest of the 1st round: 7.18 seasons (17)

When I was crunching the numbers I found no significant differences among WRs selected in the 1st round but the sample size of top 5 WRs was pretty small.

If you're interested in fantasy relevance, between 1985 and 2010, RBs sometimes lasted until age 32 (8 RBs posted VBD points as 32-year-olds) and WRs sometimes lasted until about age 36 (7 WRs posted VBD points as 36-year-olds). After that, fantasy relevance is extremely rare.

Here's my 2 pennies worth of analysis:

An elite NFL WR that stays healthy does tend to have a significantly longer career than an elite NFL RB that stays healthy. However, consider that:

(1) About half of top 10 RBs, other 1st round RBs, top 5 WRs, and other 1st round WRs are outright busts.

(2) Injuries shorten a lot of players' careers.

Those factors mean that even if you think you can get 4 extra seasons from an elite WR, you have to temper those expectations by half to account for players that bust and/or suffer injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Scooby1974 said:
The more we talk about this incoming class, rbbc, and the relatively short careers of running backs. The more I wonder if those with the top 2 rookie picks should go Green/Julio and let someone else deal with the likely rbbc with Ingram/LeShoure and pick up a "lesser" RB in later in the draft. When you think about receivers, they can usually play 12-15 years if they take good care of themselves. What is the average "life span" of a rb?
It makes sense to go wr. The problem for me on probably a few others is the dynasty league where i have the 1.1 Is a start 2 RB league and my only starters are Rice and Mathews/Tolbert. While at WR I have Jennings/Miles Austin/Maclin/Stevie Johnson. So i really could use that 3rd starting RB for byes or injuries over the WR. So im really hoping Ingram or Leshoure go to a team where they are clearly going to be the starter..if both go to a real crappy situation i might be forced to go WR and take a chance I pick the damn wrong one between Green and Julio at 1.1 :angry:

'Scooby1974 said:
It makes sense to go wr. The problem for me on probably a few others is the dynasty league where i have the 1.1 Is a start 2 RB league and my only starters are Rice and Mathews/Tolbert. While at WR I have Jennings/Miles Austin/Maclin/Stevie Johnson. So i really could use that 3rd starting RB for byes or injuries over the WR. So im really hoping Ingram or Leshoure go to a team where they are clearly going to be the starter..if both go to a real crappy situation i might be forced to go WR and take a chance I pick the damn wrong one between Green and Julio at 1.1 :angry:
Can't you trade the pick for decent upside player?

'Scooby1974 said:
Can't you trade the pick for decent upside player?
If i trade that pick its going to be for a decent proven player, not an upside one lolI actually traded for the 1.1 pick a couple months ago. Gave up Hillis (who im not a believer in) and beanie/hightower who have been a headache and disappointment to own...

'Scooby1974 said:
Take Green and trade Johnson or Austin for a RB.

I took over a very depleted dynasty team this season and own the 1.02 in a PPR. The only two RBs I have are SJax and Addai/Caddy along with some younger flier guys like Karim/James Davis and both Baltimore backups. I'm basically starting from scratch and have an aging SJax (with a pass-happy McDaniels calling the plays) to cornerstone my team.

I'm having a real hard time following this method that Green/Jones should go top 2 no matter what. I'm pretty set on drafting one of the top two RBs, taking my chances that I'll be able to find a breakout and/or serviceable WR or two later in the draft or in FA/trade along the way. Gives you what seems to be a 3 down RB that does it all (catch, power, between the tackles and GL work) and probably a good situation for early PT.

So I think a lot of this disucssion depends on your team needs too. I know some say in rookie draft to draft on talent (or BPA) over team needs but can we really conclude that both Green and Jones are FAR more talented than Ingram and LeShoure? Sure situations and landing spots aren't known yet, but I'll probably need a new starting RB this season just to field 2 RBs you can feel comfortable starting.

Very hard to say right now that Green and Jones will pan out to be in the AJ, Calvin or Roddy mold. I see these guys taking 2-3 years to ramp up anyways. I don't see that as much with either RB.

Although perhaps the smarter move would be to take Jones at 1.02 and pick the best available RB at 14th overall, but then again would anyone really pass on Ingram/LeShoure for Julio Jones (likely)?

'Scooby1974 said:

I actually think just the opposite. With the rise of RBBC, true carry the load backs are going by the wayside. I think Ingram can be one of them though. So I think a guy who could be one of the few of what looks like a dying breed is probably more valuable than a WR, where there is less of a dropoff between levels IMO.

'moderated said:
In a class with a super stud rb then I think that guy has to go #1 in most scoring systems since they favor rb's, but in a class like this with no top tier rb guys like aj and Julio are no brainer top 2 picks in dynasty leagues.
Is the consensus right now that Ingram and LeShoure won't turn into a Frank Gore type (Pro-Bowl---1300 yards/10+ TD's) if they land in a decent spot? What if they landed in the PERFECT system for their skills? Incidentally, what IS the perfect situation for these guys skills? What if AJ Green lands in Carolina or Cleveland (in other words, without a QB). Does it behoove a dynasty owner to take Green/Julio in a terrible situation over an Ingram/LeShoure in a good to great situation?I know everyone probably has their own preference with this, but I'm curious what you guys are thinking, and why?

I took over a very depleted dynasty team this season and own the 1.02 in a PPR. The only two RBs I have are SJax and Addai/Caddy along with some younger flier guys like Karim/James Davis and both Baltimore backups. ...Although perhaps the smarter move would be to take Jones at 1.02 and pick the best available RB at 14th overall, but then again would anyone really pass on Ingram/LeShoure for Julio Jones (likely)?
I took over a very depleted dynasty team in February with the 1.4 pick in a PPR league. The only worthwhile RBs were SJax, Greene, and Hardesty. I traded up to 1.1 to get a WR and traded away SJax to get younger RBs.If I don't find a Blount or even a Torain later in the draft to carry me this year, I can get Richardson next year.

At some point you have to play to win. If Ingram gives you the most points for a 3-4 year stretch, who cares if he has a long career if he helps you win for those years?

I took over a very depleted dynasty team this season and own the 1.02 in a PPR. The only two RBs I have are SJax and Addai/Caddy along with some younger flier guys like Karim/James Davis and both Baltimore backups. I'm basically starting from scratch and have an aging SJax (with a pass-happy McDaniels calling the plays) to cornerstone my team.I'm having a real hard time following this method that Green/Jones should go top 2 no matter what. I'm pretty set on drafting one of the top two RBs, taking my chances that I'll be able to find a breakout and/or serviceable WR or two later in the draft or in FA/trade along the way. Gives you what seems to be a 3 down RB that does it all (catch, power, between the tackles and GL work) and probably a good situation for early PT. So I think a lot of this disucssion depends on your team needs too. I know some say in rookie draft to draft on talent (or BPA) over team needs but can we really conclude that both Green and Jones are FAR more talented than Ingram and LeShoure? Sure situations and landing spots aren't known yet, but I'll probably need a new starting RB this season just to field 2 RBs you can feel comfortable starting.Very hard to say right now that Green and Jones will pan out to be in the AJ, Calvin or Roddy mold. I see these guys taking 2-3 years to ramp up anyways. I don't see that as much with either RB.Although perhaps the smarter move would be to take Jones at 1.02 and pick the best available RB at 14th overall, but then again would anyone really pass on Ingram/LeShoure for Julio Jones (likely)?
I am in year 2 of a full rebuild of a depleted (last place prior yr) ppr team. The tactic I took was to first get young talented wr's, qb, te before focusing too much on rb. Reason: WR, QB, and TE take longer to develop into fantasy contributers than rb (usually). Rb's although faster to contribution, also burn out faster (shorter careers...usually), so my view was why waste a year or two of an rb's valuable career time on a team that doesn't yet have enough at wr, qb, te to win anything important (a championship). Besides that, the games the rb could help me win only work against my following years draft pick value, by potentially making those draft picks worse (highly unlikely the wr, qb, or te would help/hurt like this in yr 1) With that point of view, the goal was to add my rb's in year 2 and maybe three, with a focus on being competitive in yr 2 and competiting for a champoinship in yr 3. Due to this, any player on my roster that I felt would not be a championship type contributer in yr 3 was available for trade with my focus on draft picks or young prospects.I'm sure there are many ways to do this, but I thought you might appreciate this view, based on your wr versus rb question in this years draft.

'Aabye said:
This is the average career length for players drafted between 1985 and 2000:RBs drafted in the top 10: 8.24 seasonsRBs drafted in the rest of the 1st round: 6.9 seasonsRBs drafted in the 2nd round: 6.14 seasonsRBs drafted in the 3rd round: 5.16 seasonsWRs drafted in the 1st round: 8.60 seasonsWRs drafted in the 2nd round: 6.63 seasonsQBs drafted in the top 5: 10.53 seasonsQBs drafted in the rest of the 1st round: 7.18 seasonsWhen I was crunching the numbers I found no significant differences among WRs selected in the 1st round but the sample size of top 5 WRs was pretty small.If you're interested in fantasy relevance, between 1985 and 2010, RBs sometimes lasted until age 32 (8 RBs posted VBD points as 32-year-olds) and WRs sometimes lasted until about age 36 (7 WRs posted VBD points as 36-year-olds). After that, fantasy relevance is extremely rare.Here's my 2 pennies worth of analysis:An elite NFL WR that stays healthy does tend to have a significantly longer career than an elite NFL RB that stays healthy. However, consider that:(1) About half of top 10 RBs, other 1st round RBs, top 5 WRs, and other 1st round WRs are outright busts.(2) Injuries shorten a lot of players' careers.Those factors mean that even if you think you can get 4 extra seasons from an elite WR, you have to temper those expectations by half to account for players that bust and/or suffer injuries.
Thank you for this. Good post.Maybe adding names would be too long of a post, but could you say how many of each position (sample size) we are talking about?

At some point you have to play to win. If Ingram gives you the most points for a 3-4 year stretch, who cares if he has a long career if he helps you win for those years?
Agreed! Generally, rookie RBs will post more points early than a rookie WR. If Ingram or Leshoure land in a good spot where they appear to be the "lead dog", they will score more than Green or Jones the first year or two.

'Aabye said:
This is the average career length for players drafted between 1985 and 2000:RBs drafted in the top 10: 8.24 seasonsRBs drafted in the rest of the 1st round: 6.9 seasonsRBs drafted in the 2nd round: 6.14 seasonsRBs drafted in the 3rd round: 5.16 seasonsWRs drafted in the 1st round: 8.60 seasonsWRs drafted in the 2nd round: 6.63 seasonsQBs drafted in the top 5: 10.53 seasonsQBs drafted in the rest of the 1st round: 7.18 seasonsWhen I was crunching the numbers I found no significant differences among WRs selected in the 1st round but the sample size of top 5 WRs was pretty small.If you're interested in fantasy relevance, between 1985 and 2010, RBs sometimes lasted until age 32 (8 RBs posted VBD points as 32-year-olds) and WRs sometimes lasted until about age 36 (7 WRs posted VBD points as 36-year-olds). After that, fantasy relevance is extremely rare.Here's my 2 pennies worth of analysis:An elite NFL WR that stays healthy does tend to have a significantly longer career than an elite NFL RB that stays healthy. However, consider that:(1) About half of top 10 RBs, other 1st round RBs, top 5 WRs, and other 1st round WRs are outright busts.(2) Injuries shorten a lot of players' careers.Those factors mean that even if you think you can get 4 extra seasons from an elite WR, you have to temper those expectations by half to account for players that bust and/or suffer injuries.
Thank you for this. Good post.Maybe adding names would be too long of a post, but could you say how many of each position (sample size) we are talking about?
My question with all of this would be: 1. How many top notch years can we realistically expect from Ingram/LeShoure?2. How many top notch years can we realistically expect from Green/Julio?Let's assume:1. No major injuries2. RB gets nicked/bruised/misses more games due to the violence of his position, and likely plays 5+ less years.3. Contrary, WR doesn't get hurt as much, less violence, and likely can play 5+ years at arguably a higher level due to less wear and tear.In a Dynasty situation, all things being equal, who outscores who and by what margin in the mid and long term? What is your best guess/projection?Any of you "number crunchers" able to run some numbers on this? What if we pulled Frank Gore's numbers (likened him to Ingram), pulled Eddie George numbers (LeShoure), not sure who to liken AJ Green to, and say we choose Fitz for Julio? I'd be interested to see how that would work out number wise.

'Aabye said:
I edited the original post to include it. Here they are:RBs drafted in the top 10: 8.24 seasons (22)RBs drafted in the rest of the 1st round: 6.9 seasons (41)RBs drafted in the 2nd round: 6.14 seasons (49)RBs drafted in the 3rd round: 5.16 seasons (50)WRs drafted in the 1st round: 8.60 seasons (54)WRs drafted in the 2nd round: 6.63 seasons (58)QBs drafted in the top 5: 10.53 seasons (15)QBs drafted in the rest of the 1st round: 7.18 seasons (17)

I am not a dynasty guy (I play keepers with limits on how long you can keep a player), but I will tell you that I am always amazed at how far forward people look. Besides the point that your league could disban (which being on these boards, I have seen a good deal of threads where this happens), There are plenty of guys out there who could help you who happen to be older and must be worth more than 2nd or 3rd round rookie pick (where you are basically throwing a hail mary anyways). For example, what would have been the price for Derick Mason three years ago? A third rounder? What are the chances you could have hit the nail on the head and found a rookie, 20 something picks into your draft who would have had a better three year run than him?In my keeper league, we instituted a rule where you can keep a rookie each year, on top of your other three keepers. One person in my league (who BTW won the league the year before the rule was implemented) has taken two top-3 rookies (Donald Brown and Beanie Wells in year one and CJ Spiller and Dez Bryant in year two) two years in a row...this person finished dead last both years. I, on the other hand, punted on taking rookies (I grabbed Mark Sanchez and Tobie Gerhert late in both drafts) and won the league the first year and finished 1st in the regular season the second year. I realize it is different than dynasty, but the obsession of having the "next big thing" seems to rear its head in dynasty a lot at the cost of the owners.

I am not a dynasty guy (I play keepers with limits on how long you can keep a player), but I will tell you that I am always amazed at how far forward people look. Besides the point that your league could disban (which being on these boards, I have seen a good deal of threads where this happens), There are plenty of guys out there who could help you who happen to be older and must be worth more than 2nd or 3rd round rookie pick (where you are basically throwing a hail mary anyways). For example, what would have been the price for Derick Mason three years ago? A third rounder? What are the chances you could have hit the nail on the head and found a rookie, 20 something picks into your draft who would have had a better three year run than him?In my keeper league, we instituted a rule where you can keep a rookie each year, on top of your other three keepers. One person in my league (who BTW won the league the year before the rule was implemented) has taken two top-3 rookies (Donald Brown and Beanie Wells in year one and CJ Spiller and Dez Bryant in year two) two years in a row...this person finished dead last both years. I, on the other hand, punted on taking rookies (I grabbed Mark Sanchez and Tobie Gerhert late in both drafts) and won the league the first year and finished 1st in the regular season the second year. I realize it is different than dynasty, but the obsession of having the "next big thing" seems to rear its head in dynasty a lot at the cost of the owners.
Agreed, Sweet Love. However we are debating a rookie drafting issue (top RB or top WR prospect) here. Not "the next big thing/new shiny toy".

My question with all of this would be:

1. How many top notch years can we realistically expect from Ingram/LeShoure?

2. How many top notch years can we realistically expect from Green/Julio?

Let's assume:

1. No major injuries

2. RB gets nicked/bruised/misses more games due to the violence of his position, and likely plays 5+ less years.

3. Contrary, WR doesn't get hurt as much, less violence, and likely can play 5+ years at arguably a higher level due to less wear and tear.

In a Dynasty situation, all things being equal, who outscores who and by what margin in the mid and long term? What is your best guess/projection?

Any of you "number crunchers" able to run some numbers on this? What if we pulled Frank Gore's numbers (likened him to Ingram), pulled Eddie George numbers (LeShoure), not sure who to liken AJ Green to, and say we choose Fitz for Julio? I'd be interested to see how that would work out number wise.
I'm not sure how to answer the questions as posed. I don't have numbers that separate players who suffered major injuries vs. players who did not. I don't really know how to use Frank Gore to project for Mark Ingram (assume identical careers?). Frank Gore has scored 308 career VBD points and has been a top 10 RB 3x. Eddie George scored 551 career VBD points and was a top 10 RB 3x. Larry Fitzgerald has scored 392 career VBD points and has been a top 10 WR 4x. I would say that using productive veterans to predict the value of prospects ignores the 50% likelihood that Ingram, Green, or Jones will never amount to anything in the NFL, so I've not found it to be a very useful tool.I can give some general guidelines:

(1) Everything I've looked at suggests that WRs can last about 4 more seasons than RBs. The only RBs between 1985 and 2010 to score a VBD point at age 33+ are Marcus Allen (4x, which is absolutely amazing), Ottis Anderson (1x), and Emmitt Smith (1x). The only WRs to score a VBD point at age 37+ are Jerry Rice (3x), Terrell Owens (1x), and Charlie Joiner (1x). But don't forget that WRs take longer to develop than RBs, meaning that while WRs may last 4 years longer, that doesn't mean that you get 4 extra years of production out of them.

(2) The difference in average career length between 1st round (non top-10) RBs and 1st round WRs is only about 1.7 seasons (there is uncertainty there - think between 1 and 2.5 seasons to be relatively safe).

(3) All things being equal, for players drafted between 1985 and 2000, 1st round (non top-10) RBs averaged about 135 career VBD points and 1st round WRs averaged about 175 career VBD points but take those numbers with a huge grain of salt. The sample sizes aren't particularly large and Jerry Rice alone skews the average for WRs upwards by about 20 points. In terms of career VBD points, I'd say that it's pretty close to a coin flip with the edge going to 1st round WRs.

(4) Since WRs have longer careers, their production is diluted somewhat. That means that while a RB might get you less career points, he could still be more valuable. A few reasons for this are that (a) concentrated production might be more valuable if your goal is winning a championship in a given year or set of years and (b) the WR, on average, takes up a roster spot for longer than the RB. The open roster spot left by a retired RB has value as well.

EDIT: those VBD numbers are from profootballreference. I don't know how the yearly VBD numbers are calculated but I don't think they include PPR.

(3) All things being equal, for players drafted between 1985 and 2000, 1st round (non top-10) RBs averaged about 135 career VBD points and 1st round WRs averaged about 175 career VBD points but take those numbers with a huge grain of salt. The sample sizes aren't particularly large and Jerry Rice alone skews the average for WRs upwards by about 20 points. In terms of career VBD points, I'd say that it's pretty close to a coin flip with the edge going to 1st round WRs.
By 'non top-10 RBs', do you mean excluding top ten RBs (41 total RBs) or all 1st round RBs (63 total RBs)?

My question with all of this would be:

1. How many top notch years can we realistically expect from Ingram/LeShoure?

2. How many top notch years can we realistically expect from Green/Julio?

Let's assume:

1. No major injuries

2. RB gets nicked/bruised/misses more games due to the violence of his position, and likely plays 5+ less years.

3. Contrary, WR doesn't get hurt as much, less violence, and likely can play 5+ years at arguably a higher level due to less wear and tear.

In a Dynasty situation, all things being equal, who outscores who and by what margin in the mid and long term? What is your best guess/projection?

Any of you "number crunchers" able to run some numbers on this? What if we pulled Frank Gore's numbers (likened him to Ingram), pulled Eddie George numbers (LeShoure), not sure who to liken AJ Green to, and say we choose Fitz for Julio? I'd be interested to see how that would work out number wise.
I'm not sure how to answer the questions as posed. I don't have numbers that separate players who suffered major injuries vs. players who did not. I don't really know how to use Frank Gore to project for Mark Ingram (assume identical careers?). Frank Gore has scored 308 career VBD points and has been a top 10 RB 3x. Eddie George scored 551 career VBD points and was a top 10 RB 3x. Larry Fitzgerald has scored 392 career VBD points and has been a top 10 WR 4x. I would say that using productive veterans to predict the value of prospects ignores the 50% likelihood that Ingram, Green, or Jones will never amount to anything in the NFL, so I've not found it to be a very useful tool.I can give some general guidelines:

(1) Everything I've looked at suggests that WRs can last about 4 more seasons than RBs. The only RBs between 1985 and 2010 to score a VBD point at age 33+ are Marcus Allen (4x, which is absolutely amazing), Ottis Anderson (1x), and Emmitt Smith (1x). The only WRs to score a VBD point at age 37+ are Jerry Rice (3x), Terrell Owens (1x), and Charlie Joiner (1x). But don't forget that WRs take longer to develop than RBs, meaning that while WRs may last 4 years longer, that doesn't mean that you get 4 extra years of production out of them.

(2) The difference in average career length between 1st round (non top-10) RBs and 1st round WRs is only about 1.7 seasons (there is uncertainty there - think between 1 and 2.5 seasons to be relatively safe).

(4) Since WRs have longer careers, their production is diluted somewhat. That means that while a RB might get you less career points, he could still be more valuable. A few reasons for this are that (a) concentrated production might be more valuable if your goal is winning a championship in a given year or set of years and (b) the WR, on average, takes up a roster spot for longer than the RB. The open roster spot left by a retired RB has value as well.

EDIT: those VBD numbers are from profootballreference. I don't know how the yearly VBD numbers are calculated but I don't think they include PPR.
That helps, and I have no idea how you could answer my question either. :) I liked the point you made about the rb's -vs WR' concentration" of points, that makes a lot of sense. I am rather surprised to see that:

1. WR's don't outscore RB's by as large of a margin as I thought

2. Wr's don't have THAT many more productive years.

So perhaps who you draft SHOULD depend more on:

1. Whether you think a RB would push you over the edge to win NOW (take the RB if talent/situation is equal)?

2. Whether you stand a better chance in 2/3/4 years. (take the WR if talent/situation is equal)?

3. Scoring/League requirements: 3 WR league's +/- PPR also needs to be taken into account when it comes to the ELITE WR's (if you think Green/Julio can become elite)

4. Team need

By 'non top-10 RBs', do you mean excluding top ten RBs (41 total RBs) or all 1st round RBs (63 total RBs)?
I meant excluding top ten RBs (so all RBs selected between 11th and the end of the 1st round). Top 10 RBs averaged 250 career VBD points. Added up, the average for all 1st round RBs between 1985-2000 is about 175 VBD points.

That helps, and I have no idea how you could answer my question either. :) I liked the point you made about the rb's -vs WR' concentration" of points, that makes a lot of sense.

I am rather surprised to see that:

1. WR's don't outscore RB's by as large of a margin as I thought

2. Wr's don't have THAT many more productive years.

1. Whether you think a RB would push you over the edge to win NOW (take the RB if talent/situation is equal)?

2. Whether you stand a better chance in 2/3/4 years. (take the WR if talent/situation is equal)?

3. Team need?
Yeah, I got interested in dynasty values at some point after reading Beto's thread from a while back: hereI sat on it for a while but with profootballreference, I had the tool to actually use career VBD numbers in a meaningful way.

I researched and wrote a pretty large series of articles (c. 200 pages) trying to come up with a sensible quantitative way of projecting remaining VBD values for every dynasty player. I actually constructed a model for projecting rookies and another (vastly more complicated) model for projecting veterans. I may end up submitting the whole mess to FBG for publication if there's interest.

Long story short, I found that a lot of the conventional wisdom about dynasty values isn't very good and there are large gaps in knowledge about how to make dynasty projections.

I do think that drafting RB or WR based on team need and long-term team makeup is probably a decent strategy. Everything I've looked at indicates that the differences between the two groups aren't that large. The fact is that you have to get a little bit lucky in who you draft, though.

Aabye, what do you think about the following?

3. Scoring/League requirements: 3 WR league's +/- PPR also needs to be taken into account when it comes to the ELITE WR's (if you think Green/Julio can become elite)

4. Team need

Aabye, what do you think about the following?So perhaps who you draft SHOULD depend more on:1. Whether you think a RB would push you over the edge to win NOW (take the RB if talent/situation is equal)?2. Whether you stand a better chance in 2/3/4 years. (take the WR if talent/situation is equal)?3. Scoring/League requirements: 3 WR league's +/- PPR also needs to be taken into account when it comes to the ELITE WR's (if you think Green/Julio can become elite)4. Team need
I really don't know enough to offer specific player advice. Honestly, the key seems to be to guess right. If you guessed Andre Johnson you won. If you guessed Charles Rogers you lost. I realize that's not very useful but luck is, by far, the biggest factor in drafting a good rookie. It looks to me like 1st round WRs and 1st round RBs outside of the top 10 are pretty close in projected value, so it's actually pretty hard to go wrong. Strategy might be worth 10-15 career VBD points. Guessing right is worth closer to 300.

I am in the same boat, in one of my leagues I have the #1 pick as well as the 6,7,8,10,and 12.

with the curent roster of

Rogers/Cuttler

J Stewart/Hillis/Greene/Starks

CJhonson/H Nicks/M Williams TBB / J Maclin/ J KNox

J Finnly/ J Cook

Clearly at least IMO i am stronger at WR than RB, I feel Picking a Solid Staring RB Would Put Me in contention Now, while AJ or J Jones Probably would not start, at least for the first year. As of right now its still up in the air for me and it will likely come down to where each player ends up. But its going to be Hard to pass on one of the wrs especialy if one of them ends up in STL

'Aabye said:
I edited the original post to include it. Here they are:RBs drafted in the top 10: 8.24 seasons (22)RBs drafted in the rest of the 1st round: 6.9 seasons (41)RBs drafted in the 2nd round: 6.14 seasons (49)RBs drafted in the 3rd round: 5.16 seasons (50)WRs drafted in the 1st round: 8.60 seasons (54)WRs drafted in the 2nd round: 6.63 seasons (58)QBs drafted in the top 5: 10.53 seasons (15)QBs drafted in the rest of the 1st round: 7.18 seasons (17)
Great Numbers, I would like to add that a couple of yrs ago a elite rookie RBs can usually be plugged into even a small line up from yr 1 and on and give RB1 #s... Elite Rookie WRs seem to have a waiting period of 1 to 2 yrs before they each their Elite status; the so called WR 3 yr rule.You were able to draft a stud RB at age 22, FF value is usally gone around 30; from 22 to 30 that stud RB gave u 8 yrs of solid production. Now with RBBC's it seems that even stud talent RBs have to wait 2 to 3 yrs before they get a lion's share carries; then around age 28 the team seems to draft a rookie for him to compete with.

Here's something else. It's pretty rare to get solid, consistent production for an extended period of time from any group. Here are the number of productive (non-zero VBD) seasons and how many players achieved each of them.

Top 10 RBs (there are actually 21, not 22. I miscounted earlier)

10 - 2 (Sanders, Faulk)

9 - 1 (Bettis)

7 - 2 (James, Taylor)

6 - 1 (T. Jones)

5 - 3 (R. Williams, J. Lewis, Hearst)

4 - 1 (Byars)

1 - 5 (Enis, S. Smith, Fullwood, Bo Jackson, Thomas)

0 - 6 (Highsmith, Carter, Phillips, Biakabutuka, Worley, Vardell)

AVG: 3.48 productive seasons

Other 1st round RBs (not including top 10 RBs) (also a miscount - there are 42, not 41)

12 - 1 (Emmitt Smith)

8 - 2 (George, Dunn)

6 - 1 (N. Anderson)

5 - 3 (Alexander, R. Hampton, J. Stewart)

4 - 3 (Metcalf, A. Smith, L. Russell)

3 - 1 (R. Smith)

2 - 9 (L. White, Gary, H. Williams, Humphrey, Heyward, Wheatley, Bernstine, Stephens, Harmon)

1 - 7 (R. Edwards, Kaufman, L. Hampton, Salaam, Muster, G. Green, Palmer)

0 - 15 (Dozier, D. Thompson, Carter, Adams, Hill, Avery, Dupard, Vick, Dayne, Broussard, Sewell, Flagler, T. Smith, Canidate, Dunbar)

AVG: 2.12 productive seasons

1st round WRs (miscounted earlier. 53, not 54)

16 - 1 (Rice)

12 - 1 (Moss)

11 - 1 (T. Brown)

10 - 1 (Harrison)

9 - 1 (K. Johnson)

8 - 2 (Holt, Galloway)

7 - 2 (H. Moore, R. Moore)

6 - 6 (Sharpe, Irvin, Rison, Miller, Burress, Glenn)

5 - 4 (Moulds, E. Brown, Jeffires, Kennison)

4 - 3 (Conway, Toon, Morton)

3 - 3 (Alexander, Boston, McDuffie)

2 - 5 (Pritchard, Harper, J. Hester, Sherrard, C. Johnson)

1 - 10 (McGee, W. Davis, Dawkins, Hilliard, Taylor, Hill, Stokes, Ingram, Warrick, Westbrook)

0 - 13 (Cox, Dyson, Nash, Soward, Carruth, Anthony, Nattiel, Collins, Morris, Lewis, Edwards, Green, Howard)

AVG: 3.49 productive seasons

And, for more fun, here are the productive seasons divided by average career length:

Top 10 RBs: 3.48/8.24 = .422

Other 1st round RBs: 2.17/6.9 = .307

1st round WRs: 3.49/8.6 = .406

So even if their careers last for a fair amount of time, none of these groups is productive for even half the time that they are on a roster in the NFL.

Aabye, what do you think about the following?So perhaps who you draft SHOULD depend more on:1. Whether you think a RB would push you over the edge to win NOW (take the RB if talent/situation is equal)?2. Whether you stand a better chance in 2/3/4 years. (take the WR if talent/situation is equal)?3. Scoring/League requirements: 3 WR league's +/- PPR also needs to be taken into account when it comes to the ELITE WR's (if you think Green/Julio can become elite)4. Team need
I really don't know enough to offer specific player advice. Honestly, the key seems to be to guess right. If you guessed Andre Johnson you won. If you guessed Charles Rogers you lost. I realize that's not very useful but luck is, by far, the biggest factor in drafting a good rookie. It looks to me like 1st round WRs and 1st round RBs outside of the top 10 are pretty close in projected value, so it's actually pretty hard to go wrong. Strategy might be worth 10-15 career VBD points. Guessing right is worth closer to 300.
Someone around here snickers at all complicated draft theories with the response "Draft good players." I've gone very complex at times and very simple at times, and I can't say there's any difference in my results. I win when I draft good players.That can actually be applied here. Green's the best offensive player in the draft. I'm not so convinced that Jones is above Ingram, but I don't rank Green ahead of Ingram because of their positions - I just think Green's the best player.

'Tick said:
Someone around here snickers at all complicated draft theories with the response "Draft good players." I've gone very complex at times and very simple at times, and I can't say there's any difference in my results. I win when I draft good players.That can actually be applied here. Green's the best offensive player in the draft. I'm not so convinced that Jones is above Ingram, but I don't rank Green ahead of Ingram because of their positions - I just think Green's the best player.
I figure that if NFL teams with large, dedicated scouting departments, exclusive player access, and millions of dollars on the line can't do better than 50% on their 1st round picks, the chances that I can watch 2 minute youtube clips and figure out who's going to boom and who's going to bust are pretty small. You really do just have to guess right.

Users who are viewing this thread