What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Death Penalty (1 Viewer)

We are both talking about a system failure to avoid the death of an innocent person and it is the legality of the death penalty that is in question, not the court's rulings.  If your argument against the death penalty is that innocent people may die, then the argument that innocent people may die if you don't use the death penalty should still be a consideration.
One big difference between the two concerns is one is the direct action of the state, which can be controlled, and one is an act of an independent person that can be addressed by other means (improving safety in prisons, etc).  I don't see it as one or the other.  Both problems can be solved.  One can be handled easily by direct action, reducing the risk of death for an innocent via execution by 100%. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the concern.  You've lost your societal protections...

Police: Mother, 2 others injected 10-year old girl with meth before raping, killing her.
Our constitution clearly gives protections.  If you want to address this I suggest doing it with a constitutional amendment.

I disconnect the wrongly convicted cases from the death penalty, a wrong conviction is a wrong conviction regardless of the sentence and should be avoided.  The stakes are sufficiently high regardless of the outcome to me.  I realize this isn't the norm.

If I read back to the top you have a person that served his sentence and was convicted of another crime outside of prison.  That's not really in the same category of someone serving LWOP and killing someone in prison which is the assertion you are making.  The fact that he was released and committed another crime isn't really an argument for a death penalty as much as it is for more life sentences in capital crimes.  Him dead or in prison either way would have prevented the outcome here.  

For me to really support the death penalty you need to show how a LWOP offender presents both additional risk to the prison population and the costs to incarcerate that person is beyond what the state should bear.  The fact that a non LWOP gets parole and kills someone on the street is meaningless to me, and a different topic entirely.
I wasn't making an argument for the death penalty with that case, just an argument that a living murderer can harm again while a dead one can not. No matter what precautions you take, you can never be 100% sure that someone serving LWOP won't harm again (which is the same argument people make for executing innocent people).

Here's one who stabbed and here's one who killed. Not sure if any involved in this were serving LWOP, but considering the classification level, it seems pretty likely. There are obviously plenty more, but hopefully that is enough to satisfy you- it happens.

Interesting question on the recidivism rate of LWOP - the closest I could find was a study showing higher rates of recidivism for criminal psychopaths than for criminal non-psychopaths - but that study only studies those that were released and showed recidivism which I assume is very different than recidivism within the confines of a high security prison while serving LWOP.

proninja said:
Exactly. And I'm not sure why the criteria needs to be that we have to be 100% sure they will never commit a crime again. 

That isn't an argument for the death penalty. That's an argument for killing everybody.
Wait. Now you are running with someone else's reasoning on why/why-not and now you aren't worried about something being 100% assured?

You cant make this stuff up.

Statistically, this is minimal enough to be justified on a purely logical basis.  Why are we afraid of executing an occasional innocent if it benefits society as a whole?  We make that kind of decision all the time as a society, so why is this issue an exception?  And why is the execution an issue when in reality, it is the wrongful conviction that is the problem?  Even without the execution, that person is wrongfully held in prison for their life.  Logically, this is a minimal issue.  Which brings me back to my point, that the morality of executing an innocent person is what we are truly appalled by.  We value that one human life so much that we will make all kinds of exceptions in its favor, even if it means risking a greater proportion of society through allowing a convicted murderer to live.
Because murder is wrong no matter how many ways you try to justify it. I am an athiest. My principles don't come from Jesus. They come from the idea that killing innocent people is wrong. Because a system that kills the innocent is as much a danger to society as the people you are so eager to kill. Logical? No. Ruthless? For sure.

Then how about this POS, NCCommish. he's not innocent. He's another candidate for instant death. He's 100% guilty, ZERO doubt. This case, in a properly functioning criminal justice system, is over including appeals within a week and this POS is dead. http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-whittier-police-shooting-20170220-story.html 

Proninja has nothing on this case so he won't respond because it is cut and dried.

What is needed is a Supreme Court of Murder Cases. We could clean up death row in no time. There is absolutely no reason we can't process trash like this within a week.

Then how about this POS, NCCommish. he's not innocent. He's another candidate for instant death. He's 100% guilty, ZERO doubt. This case, in a properly functioning criminal justice system, is over including appeals within a week and this POS is dead. http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-whittier-police-shooting-20170220-story.html 

Proninja has nothing on this case so he won't respond because it is cut and dried.

What is needed is a Supreme Court of Murder Cases. We could clean up death row in no time. There is absolutely no reason we can't process trash like this within a week.
I don't care what he did. The state murdering it's citizens is wrong. Giving it that power is stupid on so many levels it should be self evident. I could clean up death row tomorrow. Commute all sentences to life without chance of parole. Done.

BTW in my plan no one innocent dies. I call that value added.

I don't care what he did. The state murdering it's citizens is wrong. Giving it that power is stupid on so many levels it should be self evident. I could clean up death row tomorrow. Commute all sentences to life without chance of parole. Done.

Murder is always wrong. The state never tries to murder anyone. Just like in jail.  But mistakes will happen and that includes being murdered in jail.

Murder is always wrong. The state never tries to murder anyone. Just like in jail.  But mistakes will happen and that includes being murdered in jail.
You kill someone for simple revenge who is no longer a threat to society. It is murder. It is not self defense. It is simple blood lust and revenge. There is no value to the act. It changes nothing. It makes nothing better. It simply gives the state the power to kill to no effect. No deterrent, never stops a thing, no purpose served.

I mean life in a box is better than no life at all, but going to jail for life as an innocent does suck a tad too.  

Lets make it life with the possibility of parole. Don't really see the point in no possibility of parole.

I have to be honest and say that I have walked back my favor of the death penalty, a lot.  I still have no issue with sentencing someone we KNOW is 100% guilty of the crime.  The problem with that is the endless appeals and the cost.  I know people will say we need to fix the endless appeals part but that just isnt going to happen.  I think I have come to the point where I dont think the govt should be killing people.  I have read so much about how our justice system is more or less a game for everyone involved except for the accused.  A criminal trial in this country seems to be more about winning and less about a search for the truth.

I would suggest people check out a Frontline episode about Cameron Todd Willingham.  He was put to death in Texas and I dont think he committed the crime for which he received that sentence. 

Anyway, I'm fine with locking them up for life.  Our justice system is way too flawed to have a death penalty.

Lets make it life with the possibility of parole. Don't really see the point in no possibility of parole.
Well I was talking in replacement of the death penalty. I think there are crimes that are so horrendous you give up your social rights. You have put yourself so far outside societal norms that you don't get a do over. However in cases where you would otherwise not get the death penalty then yes parole should be available. Just like the death penalty life without parole would be the ultimate punishment not the only one.

Well I was talking in replacement of the death penalty. I think there are crimes that are so horrendous you give up your social rights. You have put yourself so far outside societal norms that you don't get a do over. However in cases where you would otherwise not get the death penalty then yes parole should be available. Just like the death penalty life without parole would be the ultimate punishment not the only one.
I mean, I understand your concern. Like a serial killer or something. Nobody wants to see Jeffrey Dahmer back on the streets.

I just think that Life with the possibility of parole is the strongest punishment that we should have. But just because there's a possibility of parole, doesn't mean everyone gets it. Someone like Dahmer should have his parole denied.

But that doesn't apply to all murderers. People change in prison sometimes.

I mean, I understand your concern. Like a serial killer or something. Nobody wants to see Jeffrey Dahmer back on the streets.

I just think that Life with the possibility of parole is the strongest punishment that we should have. But just because there's a possibility of parole, doesn't mean everyone gets it. Someone like Dahmer should have his parole denied.

But that doesn't apply to all murderers. People change in prison sometimes.
With you on all that. And it should be pointed out that very few people, relatively, get the death penalty. Even most murders result in a person getting paroled. And as I pointed out studies show them to be the least likely to recommit their crime or go back to jail. So yeah ultimate penalty.

The real issue politicians should be talking about is what is causing people to commit these types of crimes.  More mental health studies and mental health care would be a tremendous start.  Also, financial issues cause lots of problems for people.  If you are living in poverty, crime starts to look pretty good. These types of things should be more of a focus instead of just more police, more prisons, etc.

You kill someone for simple revenge who is no longer a threat to society. It is murder. It is not self defense. It is simple blood lust and revenge. There is no value to the act. It changes nothing. It makes nothing better. It simply gives the state the power to kill to no effect. No deterrent, never stops a thing, no purpose served.
Disagree with almost all of that in its entirety.

Yes its a deterrent. Yes its cheaper. Yes they even deserve to die. Yes it does make things better for people.

:bs:

Why do you keep saying this? People have been killed by inmates serving life without parole- do you deny that?

The real issue politicians should be talking about is what is causing people to commit these types of crimes.  More mental health studies and mental health care would be a tremendous start.  Also, financial issues cause lots of problems for people.  If you are living in poverty, crime starts to look pretty good. These types of things should be more of a focus instead of just more police, more prisons, etc.
Given what we are finding out about our drinking water, especially in lower income areas, I think we should be looking at lead. We should be testing for exposure to lead. Leads effects are well known and violent behavior is certainly a known symptom.

NCCommish said:
Given what we are finding out about our drinking water, especially in lower income areas, I think we should be looking at lead. We should be testing for exposure to lead. Leads effects are well known and violent behavior is certainly a known symptom.
Agree.  The deal in Flint is just incredible, politicians not caring about people, at all.  Not really a shock to me but it just goes to show what this country has become.  The politicians are owned, bought and paid for a long time ago. 

HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP) — Texas executed on Tuesday a man convicted of the 1987 killings of a father and his infant son and who three years later at his capital murder trial grabbed a loaded gun from a drawer in the courtroom and tried to attack the judge.

James Bigby, 61, became the fourth inmate in Texas and the sixth nationally to be executed by injection this year.

Strapped to the death chamber gurney, Bigby looked directly at six relatives of his victims watching through a window a few feet from him and repeatedly said he was sorry.

"I hope this will bring you peace and I'm sorry for all the pain and suffering," he told them, his voice cracking at times. "I hope that you could forgive me, but if you don't, I understand. I don't think I could forgive anyone who would have killed my children."

Bigby was condemned for the fatal shooting of Michael Trekell, 26, and suffocation of Trekell's 4-month-old son, Jayson, at their home in Arlington on Christmas Eve 1987. Evidence showed Bigby also was accused but not tried for killing two other men,

Bigby was arrested after a police standoff days after the killings, telling a SWAT officer in Fort Worth, "I know I am guilty, and so do you."

:bye:   you piece of :censored: . You SHOULD have been executed. Zero doubt.

No kidding. WE could have wiped out 98 losers in a week or so but some incompetent clowns are ####ified and using every excuse in the book to stop rightful executions of scum.
This facebook live killer is another where I'd be fine getting it all done in 8 hours.
I don't understand why the rights of the murderer trump the rights of the victim.

Well, in this case, the victim's rights most likely won't be trumped because I'm pretty sure this loser isn't getting taken alive which is a bonus. Hopefully it's multiple officers unloading their weapons into this loser, with a finisher that turns his head into a canoe.

I don't see how anyone is not in favor of the death penalty.  Or the eye for an eye philosophy in general.  People who commit murder shouldn't get a second chance.  They shouldn't get life in jail where they can sap the resources of the very society they violated.  There shouldn't even be such a thing as a suspended sentence or parole.  The whole forgiveness thing is bunk and it's the worst part of what modern Christianity brought to society.

Someone commits a crime, they need to pay, and to an extent even beyond the crime they committed.  That's why the US has so many criminals. The penalty is ridiculously small for the offenses.

Take it down to the most basic thing.  Someone gets busted for speeding.  What's the fine?  Like $150-200 bucks.  Who the hell is going to slow down for that?  Now stick me in jail for 2 nights for going too fast, now I'm slowing down.

I don't see how anyone is not in favor of the death penalty.  Or the eye for an eye philosophy in general.  People who commit murder shouldn't get a second chance.  They shouldn't get life in jail where they can sap the resources of the very society they violated.  There shouldn't even be such a thing as a suspended sentence or parole.  The whole forgiveness thing is bunk and it's the worst part of what modern Christianity brought to society.

Someone commits a crime, they need to pay, and to an extent even beyond the crime they committed.  That's why the US has so many criminals. The penalty is ridiculously small for the offenses.

Take it down to the most basic thing.  Someone gets busted for speeding.  What's the fine?  Like $150-200 bucks.  Who the hell is going to slow down for that?  Now stick me in jail for 2 nights for going too fast, now I'm slowing down.
I think many of those against the death penalty are so because you cant trust that the system doesnt wrongly convict someone. 

You know, if you can convince me you would get the death penalty for speeding, I might get on board.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/18/us/6-year-old-killed-left-in-car/index.html

Read this story, get to the part where the 6 year old boy is shot in the back of the head. Then Google pictures of Kingston Frazier and tell me the people who did this don't deserve to die.
I used to be for the death penalty but as I age I find myself moving in the other direction.

Then I read about something like this. It doesn't snap me all the way back to my original feelings but these guys don't deserve to live. A 6yo in the back of the head? How about stopping and letting the kid out of the car?

DEAD.

HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP) — Texas executed on Tuesday a man convicted of the 1987 killings of a father and his infant son and who three years later at his capital murder trial grabbed a loaded gun from a drawer in the courtroom and tried to attack the judge.

James Bigby, 61, became the fourth inmate in Texas and the sixth nationally to be executed by injection this year.

Strapped to the death chamber gurney, Bigby looked directly at six relatives of his victims watching through a window a few feet from him and repeatedly said he was sorry.

"I hope this will bring you peace and I'm sorry for all the pain and suffering," he told them, his voice cracking at times. "I hope that you could forgive me, but if you don't, I understand. I don't think I could forgive anyone who would have killed my children."

Bigby was condemned for the fatal shooting of Michael Trekell, 26, and suffocation of Trekell's 4-month-old son, Jayson, at their home in Arlington on Christmas Eve 1987. Evidence showed Bigby also was accused but not tried for killing two other men,

Bigby was arrested after a police standoff days after the killings, telling a SWAT officer in Fort Worth, "I know I am guilty, and so do you."

:bye:   you piece of :censored: . You SHOULD have been executed. Zero doubt.
this has to be what they're talking about costing "twice as much to execute him" - only came 30 years too late.

I'm not against the death penalty to preserve a criminals life.  I am against giving the state the power to take peoples life.
http://www.wapt.com/article/boy-inside-car-kidnapped-during-auto-theft/9871713

Look at the pictures of this kid from his 1st Grade Graduation - I can't knowingly be in favor of removing a state's right to put the animals like the ones who did this to death. This is one of the most disgusting stories I've ever read. This is a really sad one. 

Luckily for two of these scumbags, they're 17, I think that means they can't be put to death, hopefully the 19 year old is at least. 

http://www.wapt.com/article/boy-inside-car-kidnapped-during-auto-theft/9871713

Look at the pictures of this kid from his 1st Grade Graduation - I can't knowingly be in favor of removing a state's right to put the animals like the ones who did this to death. This is one of the most disgusting stories I've ever read. This is a really sad one. 

Luckily for two of these scumbags, they're 17, I think that means they can't be put to death, hopefully the 19 year old is at least. 
I don't think appealing to emotion is the best way to make a decision on whether the death penalty should exist. 

Thought the same thing when I saw the story yesterday. Executing a 6 year old (I'm guessing because they thought he could identify them or something). Those guys should have just been shot on the spot. Disgusting.

Users who are viewing this thread