What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bicycle Guys! (2 Viewers)

I have an old steel frame Raleigh ten speed that's hanging next to the water cooler.  I've been waiting since last year for it to convert itself to a single speed. 

I think I have the tools needed to do it but will probably end up taking it to the shop.  I've watched videos and it looks straightforward enough but I'd probably screw up getting the chainring and sprocket aligned properly.

I have an old steel frame Raleigh ten speed that's hanging next to the water cooler.  I've been waiting since last year for it to convert itself to a single speed. 

I think I have the tools needed to do it but will probably end up taking it to the shop.  I've watched videos and it looks straightforward enough but I'd probably screw up getting the chainring and sprocket aligned properly.
why, in SF, wouldn't you want extra gears?

worried your beard will get caught in the cog-set while you're playing bike-polo?

Move out of the way Citi Bike Boy
you'll have to earn it.

but serious question about the gearing... do you have another multi-gear bike and just want the fixie for ease? I have friends like that- love the simplicity and no nonsense aspect of the fixed gear (no cog set, no brakes- everything minimal). great for tooling around the relative flatness of NYC. but if it's your only bike, seems like hard work getting around SF.

you'll have to earn it.

but serious question about the gearing... do you have another multi-gear bike and just want the fixie for ease? I have friends like that- love the simplicity and no nonsense aspect of the fixed gear (no cog set, no brakes- everything minimal). great for tooling around the relative flatness of NYC. but if it's your only bike, seems like hard work getting around SF.
Yeah, I have a road/cyclocross bike that gets most of my love on long rides and hills.  I also have a beater for commuting that's taken a lot of abuse over the years. 

My commute is flat so a single speed would be fine for that.  If I could get my act together and convert the Raleigh, I could use that for commuting and give my current beater to my daughter.   Or I could just dump the Raleigh on the street some night and make her keep riding the local equivalent of Citi Bikes.

Cars are supposed to be patient and wait to pass until it's safe. I know that may be too much to ask, but that's what they should do. I hate, hate. hate riding on roads like that by myself. You never quite know whether to hug the shoulder as close as possible, or stick your self out a bit so you are more visible. You are kinda screwed either way. Stay close to the shoulder, drivers don't see you, they buss super close to you going 50 MPH. Take up some of the lane and people ride your ### and swerve around you while giving you the finger
In some article or podcast about bicycle helmets, I learned about some studies that found odd things:

• Some guy in the UK rode around with a sensor to see how close cars came to him as he rode on the side of the road.  He tried this with a helmet and without a helmet, and found that when he wore a helmet, cars gave him less room.  Update, though - I just searched for it and found that further analysis says it wasn't a significant increase, but that some other factors are more important (type of road, type of traffic, distance from curb) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3783373/
  • In Australia, they made helmets mandatory, and it might have resulted in more problems - many stopped biking, reducing the number of bikers below a critical mass where they're a constant consideration for drivers, leading to more accidents... http://www.cycle-helmets.com/c2022.pdf
I'm not anti-helmet, but thought it was relevant and found these interesting.

So I've been interested in the Priority Bike for a while, but mainly for the fact that I'd have less risk of breaking down when riding one.  That being said I had a pedal break so far, but otherwise nothing happen so far on my commutes.  And I've commuted quite a bit so either breaking down shouldn't happen much on my mostly easy ride or I've been lucky.  I saw a priority classic on craigslist with rear rack/front hand brake/commuter handlebars (whatever those are) and lights.  My question is this going to be a lot easier ride than my late 70s or early 80s Nishiki Sport?  Or pretty similar?  I don't mind my current bike but it sure is tough to pedal some mornings.

https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/priorityclassic

So I've been interested in the Priority Bike for a while, but mainly for the fact that I'd have less risk of breaking down when riding one.  That being said I had a pedal break so far, but otherwise nothing happen so far on my commutes.  And I've commuted quite a bit so either breaking down shouldn't happen much on my mostly easy ride or I've been lucky.  I saw a priority classic on craigslist with rear rack/front hand brake/commuter handlebars (whatever those are) and lights.  My question is this going to be a lot easier ride than my late 70s or early 80s Nishiki Sport?  Or pretty similar?  I don't mind my current bike but it sure is tough to pedal some mornings.

https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/priorityclassic
The chain or belt transfers energy from the crank to rear wheel.  I don't think a belt could do that significantly more efficiently than a chain.

I've never ridden a belt-driven bike.  The belts are one-sided so you're limited to a hub gear or single speed.  You won't get wide gear ratios but that's really not a problem for a commuter.

As for the low maintenance angle, I've been riding for a long time and I've never had a chain break on me.  I've had hundreds of thrown chains but that's the derailleur's fault.   Cleaning and lubing a chain takes a few minutes a month.   I've also never owned a three-speed so I have no idea how to maintain a internal gear hub but the technology is a century old.  

I guess not getting grease on your pants would be a benefit :shrug:

I rode an internal geared belt driven Trek for about two years. I didn't love it, actually. The internal gear and hub brake was cool, but I found the belt drive to be more trouble than it was worth. It slipped off a few times, and once when riding in the ice/snow it froze up on me. It was quiet though :shrug:

Wow, I just rode the new bike in this morning and it was crazy.  I wasn't much faster than usual only about 2-3 minutes faster (my commute is only 20 minutes at the longest) but I set both my PRs on the timed segments.  I made it into work without breathing hard and I was able to get up the hills (small hills are all I have) without standing up, putting everything I have into them and still pretty much losing all momentum by the top.  My commute was not painful today.

I'm pretty happy with my purchase.  Probably any modern bike would have felt the same since the Nishiki Sport I was riding is probably pretty close to 40 years old.  But I was feeling like I was toward the end of my commuting season since it was even more painful with more clothing.  But today I wore extra clothing and it was easy.  So hopefully I can make it another month or two this season.  Or maybe all winter.  Who knows.

Trek Dual Sport 4

Anybody have one or have thoughts on it? Looking for a commuter and have an opportunity to get one of these. 4 miles one way, all pavement in South Carolina so weather doesn't get stupid in the winter. Fairly flat commute with a few small hills at the end.

Trek Dual Sport 4

Anybody have one or have thoughts on it? Looking for a commuter and have an opportunity to get one of these. 4 miles one way, all pavement in South Carolina so weather doesn't get stupid in the winter. Fairly flat commute with a few small hills at the end.
I have a Trek DS that's a few years old but would be basically the same as a Dual Sport 2. It's a great bike, especially if you think you might want to do some light trails with it. And since the DS 4 has a lockout suspension, you should be good to go for pavement.   

Frank Drebin said:
I have a Trek DS that's a few years old but would be basically the same as a Dual Sport 2. It's a great bike, especially if you think you might want to do some light trails with it. And since the DS 4 has a lockout suspension, you should be good to go for pavement.   
So now that I know what lockout suspension is and why it's good to have :thumbup: would the Trek FX Sport 4 be a better fit for what I'm doing? Aside from being run off the road I don't see me doing any kind of trail riding. I know I asked about the Dual Sport specifically but I can probably get any of the Trek hybrids in this general price range.

So now that I know what lockout suspension is and why it's good to have :thumbup: would the Trek FX Sport 4 be a better fit for what I'm doing? Aside from being run off the road I don't see me doing any kind of trail riding. I know I asked about the Dual Sport specifically but I can probably get any of the Trek hybrids in this general price range.
If you don't plan on going on trails, I'd definitely go with the FX. With the solid fork and narrower tires, it'll be much more efficient for road riding.

It's been a few years since I did any cycling. I used to commute by bike to my last job, but the new one is too far away to be feasible, plus I left my garage open and my commuter got stolen (great bike btw, light steel frame, carbon fork, disc brakes...)

Anyway, I'm thinking I want something that is good for group rides or for a few hours in the saddle. For a long time, I was focused on bomb-proof commuter bikes, so I don't know what frame style would be best.

I was reading up on "endurance" bikes as I know I like a longer wheel base and more upright position. No areo setup for me, just a nice comfortable ride that handles well and can climb. The climbing was always the hardest with the steel framed bikes...

Any recommendations on brands and models? I typically like to buy used as you get way more bang for the buck, so I'm looking on the best way to do that too.

I see a 2015 Scott Solace 30 in my size for $1k nearby. Not sure on how many miles it has on it. I have a set of Ksyrium Elite wheels that are in great shape of the stock wheelset is bobo.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Z Machine said:
I see a 2015 Scott Solace 30 in my size for $1k nearby. Not sure on how many miles it has on it. I have a set of Ksyrium Elite wheels that are in great shape of the stock wheelset is bobo.
I have a ‘16 Solace 10 Disc and I love it. Upgraded to Reynolds Assaults, a Fizik saddle and an Ultegra crank (it came with a non groupo crank) making it Ultegra throughout. It’s a great bike. That said, if you’ve got the inclination to go get fitted, you can match up your body geometry with a specific manufacturer. 

Regarding the one you saw used, it’s priced high. See link:

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/SearchListingDetail.aspx?id=3055715

Picked up a new ride a couple months ago. Sweet gravel bike. Kona Rove ST

Didn't really get a chance ro ride it until yesterday. Big fan of the 650B wheels and the 47C tires. As I get older, I appreciate the softness of rolling over cracks and potholes with these tires. Took it on some streets, paved trails, and a bit of singletrack. Even over some snow/ice.

Also - for anyone who rides a decent amount and hates to carry stuff on their back, I can't more strongly recomend a full frame bag. Can fit a water bladder, all my repair tools, some snacks, wallet, rain jacket, and a few other things. Got a custom bag made by Rogue Panda. They make good stuff

Didn't really get a chance ro ride it until yesterday. Big fan of the 650B wheels and the 47C tires. As I get older, I appreciate the softness of rolling over cracks and potholes with these tires. Took it on some streets, paved trails, and a bit of singletrack. Even over some snow/ice.

Also - for anyone who rides a decent amount and hates to carry stuff on their back, I can't more strongly recomend a full frame bag. Can fit a water bladder, all my repair tools, some snacks, wallet, rain jacket, and a few other things. Got a custom bag made by Rogue Panda. They make good stuff
Always coveted a Kona. Got fitted to my old bike (litespeed saber) during my tri days, and at some point had me on a Kona which fit like a glove.

Didn't think anybody rode 650s any more. My litespeed (which was run over after I got doored and thrown into traffic) and replacement tri bike (quintana roo typhoon) has them.

Feel like I've seen 750s (?) more...like the trend was for even bigger wheels.

The 650s back in my day was about higher rpm relative to the ground iirc
I think it is more about having the larger tire on top of the 650B wheel. Feels like a 700C but you get to run wider tires at lower pressure. Like riding on a mother ####### cloud

Really hope yours is that nice purple color.  Purple bikes always look great.

I think it is more about having the larger tire on top of the 650B wheel. Feels like a 700C but you get to run wider tires at lower pressure. Like riding on a mother ####### cloud
47c tires will do that, but also give you more rolling resistance.  My gravel bike, and my wife's for that matter, both have 32c tires on them.  I think I can go up to 35c (and likely will, eventually) on both. 

How do you like the gearing on it?  40t front with 11-42t 11 speed?  Got enough low end to climb?

@matttyl

Indeed got the purple bike. Have some sweet purple bar tape on it too. Pretty sure purple bikes are the coolest. Been told they are faster too :)

I have been running 1x gearing for years now. Find the 11-42 excellent (was running only 10 gears on my previous bike - found that fine but the jumps between were alittle large). Feel as I have plenty low enough to climb. I dont live in CO or anything, so if I was somewhere mountainous I may have different thoughts. And on the high end, I run out of gears infrequently and definitely not enough that I care. I don't need to go 30+ mph on my downhills.

All that to say is I think I found my do-it-all bike. Love the steel. Love the gear attaching options. Love the wide tire options. Probably will get a set of skinnier 700c wheel/tire in case I do a long road ride or get back into some amateur triathlon ####. 

Also, Kona support has been incredible. Had some questions about max tire width for I was putting some studded tires on this winter and they were super responsive. 

@matttyl

Indeed got the purple bike. Have some sweet purple bar tape on it too. Pretty sure purple bikes are the coolest. Been told they are faster too :)

I have been running 1x gearing for years now. Find the 11-42 excellent (was running only 10 gears on my previous bike - found that fine but the jumps between were alittle large). Feel as I have plenty low enough to climb. I dont live in CO or anything, so if I was somewhere mountainous I may have different thoughts. And on the high end, I run out of gears infrequently and definitely not enough that I care. I don't need to go 30+ mph on my downhills.

All that to say is I think I found my do-it-all bike. Love the steel. Love the gear attaching options. Love the wide tire options. Probably will get a set of skinnier 700c wheel/tire in case I do a long road ride or get back into some amateur triathlon ####. 

Also, Kona support has been incredible. Had some questions about max tire width for I was putting some studded tires on this winter and they were super responsive. 
Yes, purple bikes are the coolest and definitely the fastest.  Here's the one I got my wife for X-mas this past year (so she now has a full squish for the single track stuff we do a lot of). 

We're definitely not a "do it all bike" kinda family, much more N+1 when it comes to bikes.  She's got 3, I'm now at 4.  We each have a fully suspension, a hard tail (the first MTBs each of us got, and I still love my Trek Stache which is the most "do it all" bike that I have), and a gravel/cross bike.  And then I have a true road bike that currently is just used on the smart trainer, but will become my gravel grinder this Spring/Summer (Trek Domane which can take up to a 35c tire....at which point I may need to get rid of my Salsa, which I do love). 

Anyway, in about a month I'm doing a ride down in south west Virginia on gravel.  35 miles, a bit over 3,400 ft of climbing.  I opted for the short course so I could get back and start drinking early.  My wife and some of her friends opted for the 65 mile distance with 6,700 of climbing - including a monster at mile 45.  We're both all geeked up about gearing options at the moment.  Her gravel bike is a 1x11, but she's considering taking the safe route and just riding it on her hardtail (2x10).  Both my Salsa and my Domane are 2x10, but I'm pretty limited on how big of a cassette I can install on each.

Yes, purple bikes are the coolest and definitely the fastest.  Here's the one I got my wife for X-mas this past year (so she now has a full squish for the single track stuff we do a lot of). 

We're definitely not a "do it all bike" kinda family, much more N+1 when it comes to bikes.  She's got 3, I'm now at 4.  We each have a fully suspension, a hard tail (the first MTBs each of us got, and I still love my Trek Stache which is the most "do it all" bike that I have), and a gravel/cross bike.  And then I have a true road bike that currently is just used on the smart trainer, but will become my gravel grinder this Spring/Summer (Trek Domane which can take up to a 35c tire....at which point I may need to get rid of my Salsa, which I do love). 

Anyway, in about a month I'm doing a ride down in south west Virginia on gravel.  35 miles, a bit over 3,400 ft of climbing.  I opted for the short course so I could get back and start drinking early.  My wife and some of her friends opted for the 65 mile distance with 6,700 of climbing - including a monster at mile 45.  We're both all geeked up about gearing options at the moment.  Her gravel bike is a 1x11, but she's considering taking the safe route and just riding it on her hardtail (2x10).  Both my Salsa and my Domane are 2x10, but I'm pretty limited on how big of a cassette I can install on each.
I still have my Salsa El Mariachi hard tail. So I am not quite at the 1 bike stage yet. Love that Salsa, so not sure I will ever give that up.

Sweet purple ride :thumbup:

I sold my hardtail when NYC brought citibike bike share program in. 1988 specialized stumpjumper. I miss it, but no room for two bikes plus kids bikes for us. Hell, I keep my tri bike in storage these days...haven't ridden it in years.

Sweet purple ride :thumbup:
She'd been wanting a full suspension purple bike for about a year, and I couldn't find one that would properly work with the kinda stuff we ride (or that was in my price range).  But my local shop tipped me off to the 2020 Treks, and I was one of the first orders made in the country for that bike.

Thinking of buying a road bike for exercise and was thinking if folks had any idea on brands to think about.  I live in NYC and use Citibike to get around (though not recently) but have gotten into Peloton for exercise as running is tough on my back. Bike would be at our beach house on NJ shore and would use it to exercise there.  I have been spending a great deal of time down there recently so haven't used Peloton as much as I would like to.  

Thinking of buying a road bike for exercise and was thinking if folks had any idea on brands to think about.  I live in NYC and use Citibike to get around (though not recently) but have gotten into Peloton for exercise as running is tough on my back. Bike would be at our beach house on NJ shore and would use it to exercise there.  I have been spending a great deal of time down there recently so haven't used Peloton as much as I would like to.  
You can't go wrong with a Trek.  Great warranty, and nearly all bike shops carry and work on them.  Of the 7 bikes between my wife and I, 4 are Treks.

describe frequency, length, who is on the ride (you / you&wife / you&friends)?  Are you competitive?  Are these slow sightseeing trips, or would you like to go fast and cover more distance?  What is your budget?  What types of roads you ride on (city riding, bike trails, nicely paved roads, etc)

Just get a 2nd peloton.   You have a beach house so clearly you can afford another one.  Would be really nice in your solarium overlooking the ocean.

describe frequency, length, who is on the ride (you / you&wife / you&friends)?  Are you competitive?  Are these slow sightseeing trips, or would you like to go fast and cover more distance?  What is your budget?  What types of roads you ride on (city riding, bike trails, nicely paved roads, etc)
Likely on roads or specified bike trails that are paved. Mostly would be by myself for distance/workout.  Not really sightseeing trips though.  Would do some other local stuff with kids but that would be secondary purpose. 

Havent thought much about budget but don’t want to go crazy on it. 

Been conveting an enduro road bike - all carbon, hydraulic disc, Ultegra groupo... But I can't afford it, not even a used one.

I missed out on a sweet 2018 Giant Defy 2 for $1500 local, but it got snagged before I could get a return email.

Maybe I'll give up some weight and go with a cross frameset instead of the enduro geometry. I rode a steel cross bike for years and really enjoyed it until I borrowed a friend's all carbon roadie and did some hill climbing. Man, what a difference.

Got any good sites to search for used bikes? I never want to pay full price.

Been conveting an enduro road bike - all carbon, hydraulic disc, Ultegra groupo... But I can't afford it, not even a used one.

I missed out on a sweet 2018 Giant Defy 2 for $1500 local, but it got snagged before I could get a return email.

Maybe I'll give up some weight and go with a cross frameset instead of the enduro geometry. I rode a steel cross bike for years and really enjoyed it until I borrowed a friend's all carbon roadie and did some hill climbing. Man, what a difference.

Got any good sites to search for used bikes? I never want to pay full price.
theproscloset has quality used, but the deals aren’t like craigslist. You’re paying for the convenience and piece of mind you get. Have a look. 

ETA also check out https://goridebicycles.com/close-out-bicycles/ not sure where you are but these guys always have smokin deals on new bikes. They can probably ship to you

Likely on roads or specified bike trails that are paved. Mostly would be by myself for distance/workout.  Not really sightseeing trips though.  Would do some other local stuff with kids but that would be secondary purpose. 

Havent thought much about budget but don’t want to go crazy on it. 
What’s your nearest big city? I’ll give you my top 3 craigslist recs

Personally if I was buying a new bike, I'd just go to bikesdirect.   I like quick and easy so  I'd just get something like this and be done with it.  I've only bought a fat bike from there, but it worked out fine.   Some of the folks I ride with that know a lot more than I do have gotten bikes from there and they'll all been satisfied.  You'll probably find a better value going through the used marketplaces, but I don't like the hassle.   

You can't go wrong with a Trek.  Great warranty, and nearly all bike shops carry and work on them.  Of the 7 bikes between my wife and I, 4 are Treks.
I have 3 bikes, all Trek. Solid investment but I'm biased.

I have a Domane 5 and it's a nice road bike. Not a real fan of the shifters (Shimano 105 R7025), just way too finicky for me. The bike I bought first and still love for just riding around is my FX Sport 4. That would be my recommendation. Easy to ride, light, maneuverable, configurable and can throw a bevy of tire sizes on it to handle whatever surface you plan to ride on.

I have my Domane hooked up to a Tacx Neo trainer & Zwift. Recently started riding around ont he roads again with the FX4 and remembered how much fun it is.

Personally if I was buying a new bike, I'd just go to bikesdirect.   I like quick and easy so  I'd just get something like this and be done with it.  I've only bought a fat bike from there, but it worked out fine.   Some of the folks I ride with that know a lot more than I do have gotten bikes from there and they'll all been satisfied.  You'll probably find a better value going through the used marketplaces, but I don't like the hassle.   
I have 4 of their bikes. 3 beach cruisers and a hybrid.  The oldest one is probably 12 years old now and the others are 5 or so.  All have lasted great and still ride well.  Love the aluminum frames and Nexus gears.

These are the all assembly required bikes, correct? They have great deals on there but if you don't have the skill set, putting a road bike together can be a little intimidating.

These are the all assembly required bikes, correct? They have great deals on there but if you don't have the skill set, putting a road bike together can be a little intimidating.
yeah, no way could I assembly a bike.  Think my ability tops out at removing the training wheels from my kids bike.  

Users who are viewing this thread