What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Twilight Zone project - Ranking episodes (per season) (3 Viewers)

THE CHANGING OF THE GUARD (Season 3, Episode 37 {102}) - A very tenured professor of over 50 years is forced into retirement, and because he feels he has accomplished nothing in his career, he ultimately contemplates taking his own life. It isnt until he is mysteriously visited by some of his former students that he realizes the impact he has made over the years. (3 STARS) - Nice story showcasing the importance of teachers and the impact that (albeit a good teacher) has made on his/her pupils.
Sounds kinda like Mr. Holland's Opus.
I thought the exact same thing.

IN HIS IMAGE (Season 4, Episode 1 {103}) - A seemingly normal man, takes his girlfriend to his hometown to visit family and discovers he remembers almost nothing about his supposed hometown, all the while experiencing headaches that induce him to commit heinous acts of violence (3 STARS) - Good story that took too long to develop, granted it was an hour long, but it seems like 30 min. is the sweet spot for TZ episodes. At times, the episode lost cohesiveness, and it was an OK but not Great ending.

THE THIRTY-FATHOM GRAVE (Season 4, Episode 2 {104}) - A U.S. Navy destroyer is on a routine patrol when sonar picks up the sound of metallic clanging beneath the waves from a sunken submarine; while it intrigues most of the crew, it drives one Captain particularly mad, and he begins to see things and is drawn to the wreckage. Are they coming to get him? (4 STARS) - Another slow developing story, but the ending bumped it from a 3 to a 4, would've flirted with 5 if they showed the skeleton/soldier with the hammer in his hand. Either way, worthy of a 4

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching Season 4 on Hulu --- commercials are frustrating!
but it seems like 30 min. is the sweet spot for TZ episodes.
Agree with this -- Serling thought so too but season 4 was a late replacement for another show that was cancelled and the network needed to fill an hour slot.

My favorite Season 4 episodes are "Death Ship", "The New Exhibit" and "On Thursday We Leave For Home".

Making my way through S1...may take me awhile to get to all of them

Where Is Everybody? - didn't love it...the ending segment brought it down...C+

16 mm Shrine - I thought this was kind of a dull mess...I have no compulsion to ever re-watch D

One For The Angels - slightly predictable, but classic tale...A
Mr. Denton On Doomsday - classic tale...B

Walking Distance - underrated classic...A
The Lonely - another underrated classic...A
Escape Clause...good start...contrived middle...decent ironic ending.. C+

16 mm Shrine - I thought this was kind of a dull mess...I have no compulsion to ever re-watch D

Welcome!

It may be nice to hear another take on things other than Andy and I's

Welcome!

It may be nice to hear another take on things other than Andy and I's
Prettymuch agree except that I would lower One For The Agnels to B and increase Walking Distance to A+ as it's one of the best in the entire series.

Four O'Clock - A mentally unstable man thinks he can identify all the evil people in the world and can punish them for their evil. - Yuck

May as well have named the character Joseph McCrangle. But it is interesting that this might be the source of the accent that Steve Carell used for his Gru character.

The only way this story could have been redeemed would have been to show that it was Crangle's own evilness that drove him insane. Instead, we are just supposed to accept that his insanity is evil.

Hocus Pocus and Frisbee - Habitual liar finds himself recruited based on the strength of his stories against his will by extraterrestrials. He defeats them in an unforseen manner. - Meh

I liked Andy Devine’s performance and I agree that the harmonica emits a death sound...but this episode is just silly.

Hocus Pocus and Frisbee - Habitual liar finds himself recruited based on the strength of his stories against his will by extraterrestrials. He defeats them in an unforseen manner. - Meh

I liked Andy Devine’s performance and I agree that the harmonica emits a death sound...but this episode is just silly.
Silly but I like it

Devine saves it from being an atrocity, and brings it to a point where it is a decent episode, albeit a silly one.

The Trade-Ins - An elderly couple visits a business that offers replacement bodies for sale, but they only have enough money for one. - Absolutely definitely

Made all the more awesome by the fact that Joseph Schildkraut's real-life wife died during filming but he chose to continue working until the job was done to mourn her. The sadness in his eyes is authentic.

The Gift - Horrifically stereotyped xenophobic Mexicans kill a visitor from outer space and burn the cure for cancer he'd offered them. - Yuck

There. Now I spoiled the ending so you don't have to ever waste your time. As bad as everyone says it is.

The Dummy - A hollowed out ventriloquist battles his dummy who may or may not actually be alive. - Definitely

One of the most scary horror-type episodes. The main actor is Uncle Ben in the Toby Maguire Spiderman movies.

1.9 Perchance to Dream- surprised to see this panned in the OP. I found this one's surrealism and exploration of dreams engaging. Before Inception and before Freddy Krueger there was this episode. Maya the "cat lady" is simultaneously sexy and scary. I - A

Note - I checked IMDB, and this one is a bit polarizing with some people not liking it and some putting it as their favorite of the series.

1.9 Perchance to Dream- surprised to see this panned in the OP. I found this one's surrealism and exploration of dreams engaging. Before Inception and before Freddy Krueger there was this episode. Maya the "cat lady" is simultaneously sexy and scary. I - A

Note - I checked IMDB, and this one is a bit polarizing with some people not liking it and some putting it as their favorite of the series.
Rove! -- I like this episode, I gave it a 3/5 STARS, but it is on the cusp of 4 stars

The Trade-Ins - An elderly couple visits a business that offers replacement bodies for sale, but they only have enough money for one. - Absolutely definitely

Made all the more awesome by the fact that Joseph Schildkraut's real-life wife died during filming but he chose to continue working until the job was done to mourn her. The sadness in his eyes is authentic.

The Gift - Horrifically stereotyped xenophobic Mexicans kill a visitor from outer space and burn the cure for cancer he'd offered them. - Yuck

There. Now I spoiled the ending so you don't have to ever waste your time. As bad as everyone says it is.

The Dummy - A hollowed out ventriloquist battles his dummy who may or may not actually be alive. - Definitely

One of the most scary horror-type episodes. The main actor is Uncle Ben in the Toby Maguire Spiderman movies.
The Gift was abysmal

Agree w/ ratings for Trade-Ins and The Dummy

Young Man's Fancy - A newly married woman tries to pry her husband away from the memories of his domineering and doting mother. - Yes

I read that this episode isn't though too well of. Not sure why. I thought it was good and creepy. Sort of a "Psycho-lite".

I Sing The Body Electric - A widower brings a robotic grandmother into the house to help raise his three kids. Will they accept her? - Meh

You would think that this would be more interesting considering that it was written by Bradbury. But it just falls flat for some reason.

I Sing The Body Electric - A widower brings a robotic grandmother into the house to help raise his three kids. Will they accept her? - Meh

You would think that this would be more interesting considering that it was written by Bradbury. But it just falls flat for some reason.
I liked the durability of the old broad and the fact that the other old broad (mother-in-law?) left the episode after her few minutes of drivel.

Season 5

In Praise Of Pip - As a young man lies dying in Vietnam, his ne'er-do-well father wills him back to life by pining for days gone by. - Yes

Steel - A down on his luck manager of a robot boxer has to take his machine's place in the ring in order to get by financially. - Yes

Nightmare at 20,000 Feet - A man who is recently recovered from a breakdown insists he sees a gremlin on the airplane's wing. - Definitely

A Kind Of Stopwatch - A loudmouth is given a watch that stops time. It's not a great conversation piece. - Yes

The Last Night of a Jockey - A down on his luck jockey wishes to be big. Be careful what you wish for (again). - Yes, but only because I liked Rooney's performance.

Living Doll - The mean stepfather becomes the target of his stepdaughter's doll's disdain. - Definitely

The Old Man In The Cave - Post apocalyptic survivors follow the advice of a cave dweller - until newcomers arrive. - Yuck

Uncle Simon - A gold digger can't escape her domineering uncle, even when he becomes a robot. - Yuck

Probe 7 Over and Out - "Adam" crash lands and finds another castaway named "Eve". Get it? - Yuck, Yuck

A Short Drink From A Certain Fountain - A gold digger is forced to care for her "older" husband after he receives a youth-giving serum. - Yes

90 Years Without Slumbering - A man believes his life will end when his grandfather clock stops ticking. - Yuck

Ring-A-Ding Girl - A celebrity returns to her small town roots and tries to get people to attend her event rather than the scheduled annual picnic. - Definitely

You Drive - A man is haunted by his car after killing a boy while driving. - Yes (sort of)

The Long Morrow - A man falls in love with a woman before his long space flight and makes plans to be reunited with her upon return. - Meh

The Self-Improvement Of Salvadore Ross - Just skip it. - Yuck

Number 12 Looks Just Like You - A girl comes of age and is supposed to pick out her new body, which everyone else does, but she refuses. - Definitely

Black Leather Jackets - Three strangers ride into town and are looked at disapprovingly by the townfolk. One of the strangers falls for Shelly Fabares. - Meh

Night Call - An old woman is tormented by strange phone calls. Was a "yes" until the ending. - Meh

From Agnes With Love - A computer programmer finds that the computer "Agnes" is female not just in name. - Yes

You can now watch these directly from IMDB, including Season 4. I'm guessing they have some sort of Hulu type agreement to show some older TV shows now.

Have been watching Season 4 off and on over the last year. Don't know why I lost momentum. Some of these rankings are from fuzzy memory...

Spur of the Moment - Yes
An engaged woman is terrorized without a reasonable explanation by a woman on horseback.

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge - Definitely (of course)
A Confederate spy is about to be hanged when the rope breaks, allowing him to escape and return home.

Queen of the Nile - Yes
A reporter discovers the secret behind the apparent eternal youth of a film actress.

What's in the Box - Meh. If I remember right, there was just a lot of yelling.
An unhappy couple's newly-repaired television set shows them hurting each other.

The Masks - Yes
At Mardi Gras, a wealthy dying man requires his daughter and her family – his would-be heirs – to wear masks that show their true selves.

I Am the Night – Color Me Black - Yes
A man is to be hanged at sunrise, but on the appointed day, the sun fails to rise.

Sounds and Silences - Yuck
A man's obsession with loud noises causes his wife to leave him; then all of the sounds in his life go haywire.

Caesar and Me - Yes
A struggling ventriloquist's dummy talks him into a life of crime.

The Jeopardy Room - Yes, maybe closer to Definitely
A political refugee is forced into a game of cat-and-mouse with a rather artistic assassin.

Stopover in a Quiet Town - Meh
A married couple wakes up after drinking at a party and find themselves in a strange town devoid of life – except for the distant laughter of a child.

The Encounter - Yes
A samurai sword sparks a conflict between a World War II veteran and a Japanese-American.

Mr. Garrity and the Graves - Meh
A stranger brings a dog back from the dead and offers to do the same for those in the town cemetery, making the townsfolk uneasy.

The Brain Center at Whipple's - Yes
A factory owner decides to replace his human employees with machines.

Come Wander with Me - Yuck (absolutely terrible)
A professional singer looks for an authentic song in the mountains, where he gets in trouble with the locals.

The Fear - Yuck
A state trooper and a secluded woman experience strange incidents after the woman reports seeing lights in the sky.

The Bewitchin' Pool - Easily one of the worst 5 episodes, if not THE worst
Two children escape from their bickering parents to a special place by way of their swimming pool.

Season 3

Definitely

The Shelter - An apparent impending nuclear strike pits a man vs. his neighbors who want him to "share" his bomb shelter they just recently derided him for building.

It's a Good Life - A monster, in the form of a 6 year old boy, holds a small town hostage; dispensing them to the "cornfield" if they make him angry.
Death's Head Revisited - A Nazi returns to Dachau where he's confronted by those upon whom he visited so much misery and death.
The Midnight Sun - The earth's orbit has changed and it's getting hotter by the day. - Definitely

Five Characters In Search Of An Exit - Five very different persons, devoid of knowledge of their own backgrounds, are trapped in a featureless cone. One character is determined to get out.
To Serve Man - Beware Kanamits bearing gifts. IT'S A COOKBOOK!

Yes
The Passerby - A melancholy episode shows that war has no winners and that, in the end, death comes for us all.
A Game Of Pool - A pool shark wants his chance at beating the best. Unfortunately The Best is long dead. But then fate sets up a game.
The Mirror - A revolutionary is newly installed at the head of the government and a magic mirror reveals to him the traitors in his midst. But then megalomaniacs don't need magic mirrors for that do they?
The Jungle - An executive involved in building a dam in tribal Africa seems plagued by a curse during his late walk home from the office
Once Upon A Time - A sour#### who hates the conditions in 1890 is transported to 1962 and meets a man who'd rather be from 1890. They both end up pining for their own time.

Nothing In The Dark - An old woman, terrified of death, saves a dying policeman on her doorstep. He, in kind, helps her overcome her fear.
One More Pallbearer - A wealthy man builds a bomb shelter and offers three people from his past - three that he believes wronged him - shelter from nuclear holocaust but only if they ask for forgiveness.
The Hunt - A man dies while on a coon hunt but doesn't realize it at first. Once he gets to the afterlife, his trusty hound helps him get to the right place.
Kick The Can - An old man tries to convince his friend that they can be young again if they would only PLAY.

Meh
Two - Post apocalyptic survivors (Charles Bronson and Bewitched's Elizabeth Montgomery/Samantha) from opposite sides of the conflict that ended it all learn that there are no more sides to take.

The Arrival - A plane lands itself and the man charged with solving the mystery of "how" finds that his own past both clouds and perpetuates the mystery. The Grave - After the townsfolk gun down the outlaw, the man they hired to track him down is dared to visit his grave in the middle of the night.

A Quality Of Mercy - An overeager American Lieutenant changes his tune when forced to see the conflict through his enemy's eyes.
A Piano In The House - A boor buys a player piano for his trophy wife's birthday, one that gets people to speak the truth.
The Last Rites of Jeff Myrtlebank - A young man rises from the casket at his own funeral, but displays out of character traits once up and about.

Yuck

Still Valley - A Confederate soldier happens on a witch with a black magic manual that can turn the tide of war by freezing the entire Union army.

Dead Man's Shoes - A bum puts on a murdered mobsters shoes and...becomes possessed by him.
Showdown With Rance McGrew - A milquetoast actor who portrays a strongman sheriff finds himself confronted with the real Jessie James who "suggests" changes to the script.
I liked Dead Man's Shoes

The Fear - Yuck
A state trooper and a secluded woman experience strange incidents after the woman reports seeing lights in the sky.

The Bewitchin' Pool - Easily one of the worst 5 episodes, if not THE worst
Two children escape from their bickering parents to a special place by way of their swimming pool.
The absolute worst of the series IMO.   The dubbing of the little girl's voice is laughably bad and the parents are the most obnoxious people in the world.

"The Fear" was definitely weird. I kinda liked the very end though, so maybe I'd give it a 2 (on a 1-5 scale).

I have a question about "The After Hours" When Marsha White bought the gold thimble did that REALLY happen or was that scene imagined by her? If it really happened, then it is really bizarre. Like, why would the other mannequins (elevator doorman and saleswoman) play along?

I'm late to the party on this thread but I have seen them all multiple times, have done work on various articles regarding the series, it's impact, Serling, etc.

So, I'm biased but to me it is hands-down the best stuff ever and stands the test of time like nothing else.

Due to it's exploration of the human condition, three episodes I find especially good (and often not mentioned as much) are:

"Walking Distance"

"Elegy"

"The Rip Van Winkle Caper" 

Fariq said:
I have a question about "The After Hours" When Marsha White bought the gold thimble did that REALLY happen or was that scene imagined by her? If it really happened, then it is really bizarre. Like, why would the other mannequins (elevator doorman and saleswoman) play along?
I think it was real and they were hoping that she would remember what she really was.

I think it was real and they were hoping that she would remember what she really was.
It was real. You can confirm by noting the narration as it normally sets up the scene and when the person "enters the twilight zone".  Ms. White enters upon stepping off the elevator onto the 9th floor.

You can now watch these directly from IMDB, including Season 4. I'm guessing they have some sort of Hulu type agreement to show some older TV shows now.

Have been watching Season 4 off and on over the last year. Don't know why I lost momentum. Some of these rankings are from fuzzy memory...

Spur of the Moment - Yes
An engaged woman is terrorized without a reasonable explanation by a woman on horseback.

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge - Definitely (of course)
A Confederate spy is about to be hanged when the rope breaks, allowing him to escape and return home.

Queen of the Nile - Yes
A reporter discovers the secret behind the apparent eternal youth of a film actress.

What's in the Box - Meh. If I remember right, there was just a lot of yelling.
An unhappy couple's newly-repaired television set shows them hurting each other.

The Masks - Yes
At Mardi Gras, a wealthy dying man requires his daughter and her family – his would-be heirs – to wear masks that show their true selves.

I Am the Night – Color Me Black - Yes
A man is to be hanged at sunrise, but on the appointed day, the sun fails to rise.

Sounds and Silences - Yuck
A man's obsession with loud noises causes his wife to leave him; then all of the sounds in his life go haywire.

Caesar and Me - Yes
A struggling ventriloquist's dummy talks him into a life of crime.

The Jeopardy Room - Yes, maybe closer to Definitely
A political refugee is forced into a game of cat-and-mouse with a rather artistic assassin.

Stopover in a Quiet Town - Meh
A married couple wakes up after drinking at a party and find themselves in a strange town devoid of life – except for the distant laughter of a child.

The Encounter - Yes
A samurai sword sparks a conflict between a World War II veteran and a Japanese-American.

Mr. Garrity and the Graves - Meh
A stranger brings a dog back from the dead and offers to do the same for those in the town cemetery, making the townsfolk uneasy.

The Brain Center at Whipple's - Yes
A factory owner decides to replace his human employees with machines.

Come Wander with Me - Yuck (absolutely terrible)
A professional singer looks for an authentic song in the mountains, where he gets in trouble with the locals.

One of my absolute favorite, underrated episodes of the entire series is in Season 4: The New Exhibit.

A former wax museum employee stores wax-replicas of historic murderers to keep them from being destroyed, by any means necessary.

I recorded a bunch of episodes during the July 4th-5th marathon. I may just buy the whole series.
While you could buy the series, if you have Netflix they have nearly every season on there (with exception of Season 4 I believe)

A World Of His Own - An author can create reality by speaking into his dictation machine. Drops one wife for another. Kinda sappy and creepy (not spooky) all at once.
This was on this morning. Liked it a little more than most, mainly because I wouldn't mind having one of those machines.

Finally getting around to season 4 on Hulu. So far I'm finding that these would have been better As 30 minute episodes.

Season 4

Yes

The 30 Fathom Grave - A crewman on a US Navy warship is beckoned to return to the shipwrecked site of his WWII submarine shipmates. 

He's Alive - A latter day Nazi wanna be (A young Dennis Hopper) gets help from a familiar historical figure.

In His Image - A man is confused by a murderous impulse and a loss of his memory

Death Ship - Three astronauts land on a planet only to find a copy of their ship - crash landed with their dead bodies inside.

Meh

Valley of the Shadow - A man stumbles on a technologically advanced small town that's loathe to have its secrets shared. 

Mute - A girl raised to be telepathic finds herself orphaned and in the care of a woman who fights to return her to normalcy. 

One thing I liked about Ghost Ship was that some of the score was taken from Jerry Goldsmith's music used in Back There. And that, in turn was used by James Horner for some of his Wrath of Khan score. 

Season 4 continued

Meh

Passage on the Lady Anne - A couple tries to save their message by taking a cruise end up on a ship destined for its final voyage. 

A frustrating episode because it had a lot of potential. 

Yuck

Jess-Belle - A girl steals another's fiance by enlisting the aid of the local...witch. Her agreement results in her turning into a... leopard. After midnight of course. 

Watching Season 4 on Hulu --- commercials are frustrating!
I need to get in on that. I have burned through the Netflix episodes a few times (in addition to watching ad naseum growing up), but the Season 4 has always been missing on N-Flix.

Users who are viewing this thread