What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Twilight Zone project - Ranking episodes (per season) (1 Viewer)

Today's Reviews, will try and add my thoughts more on the episodes I view for my rationale for rankings:

PERSON OR PERSONS UNKNOWN (Season 3, Episode 27 {92}) - A man wakes up from a nasty hangover and quickly finds out no one remembers who he is, and all evidence of his identity has disappeared. The question is, does he know he even know himself? (3 STARS) Close to a 2, wasnt a fan of the actor at first but as the episode wore on the acting got better, the whole premise of a man disappearing (figuratively or literally) seems to be a go-to for TZ, but it had elements from other episodes (Shadow Play - different actor for wife in recurring dream)

THE LITTLE PEOPLE (Season 3, Episode 28 {93}) - 2 Astronauts crash land in the valley of a distant planet, when one of them discovers that there are microscopic inhabitants currently on the planet nearby the crash site. When the ship is repaired, he stays being, as he has grandeur visions of becoming tyrannical, self-made Messiah. How long will he rule before he is usurped, and by whom? (5 STARS) Really a memorable episode for me, Claude Akins (Fletcher) and Joe Maross (Peter Craig) were in previous episodes (Immediately recognized them from Third from Sun and Monster on Maple Street, respectively) and both acted brilliantly, especially Fletcher, who played the mad king act quite well. Whole episode was excellently done from start to finish

FOUR O'CLOCK (Season 3, Episode 29 {94}) - A madman obsessively observes and maintains records of people he believes to be "evil" or harmful to society via round-the-clock phone calls, letters or anything else in his power to defame and harass those people demanding their immediate firing, and at 4:00PM his grand plan will go into motion against those people. What he doesnt realize is that when you point at someone, you have 3 fingers pointing back at you (4 STARS) Would be a strong "3" or a weak "4", I decided to go 4 stars in honor of the title, but is really a well done acting episode by Crangle, who captures the mad man element quite well.

I'm quickly realizing that I'm going to have to skip Season 4 and go to Season 5 when I'm done with S3 -- I do not have the DVD's, nor does Netflix. I wont be able to get my hands on Season 4 for a few weeks until my dad comes by to visit, and at this rate I think I'll definitely need it by then!

I am really tempted to jump in on this but 150+ episodes seems a tad daunting right now.

You guys seem to be burning through them though.

Good work

I am really tempted to jump in on this but 150+ episodes seems a tad daunting right now.

Good work
Only reason I am able to right now is that things are dreadfully slow at work (I'm being transitioning out of my current job, going to move and start a new job August 1)

Good work
Only reason I am able to right now is that things are dreadfully slow at work (I'm being transitioning out of my current job, going to move and start a new job August 1)
I was also thinking that work would be the best place to start watching these.

Can't today though because, y'know, World Cup.

Good work

Yep, it'll be on in the office here but I mainly have the episodes going on in a small window on my screen, that I maximize during lunch hr and pause when an issue pops up.

Otherwise, I'd probably only do 1 or two episodes a night if I'm lucky (I normally watch Pirates games when they're on.)

The Hank said:
Chaka said:
The Hank said:

Good work

Yep, it'll be on in the office here but I mainly have the episodes going on in a small window on my screen, that I maximize during lunch hr and pause when an issue pops up.

Otherwise, I'd probably only do 1 or two episodes a night if I'm lucky (I normally watch Pirates games when they're on.)
Did you do something bad that you are making amends for?

The Hank said:
Chaka said:
The Hank said:

Good work

Did you do something bad that you are making amends for?
:lol:

(Un)Fortunately I am a die-hard Pirates fan (Steelers too), though as of late they aren't as bad as they used to be! I was a glutton for pain and humiliation back then!

Five Characters In Search Of An Exit - Five very different persons, devoid of knowledge of their own backgrounds, are trapped in a featureless cone. One character is determined to get out. - Definitely

Even if you know the twist ending, this is still an excellent episode that upon deeper reflection asks some interesting questions about humanity and identity.

A Quality Of Mercy - An overeager American Lieutenant changes his tune when forced to see the conflict through his enemy's eyes. - Meh

Probably a very personal episode to Serling, but it's pretty preachy and not very interesting - except to see a young Dean Stockwell and Leonard Nimoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing In The Dark - An old woman, terrified of death, saves a dying policeman on her doorstep. He, in kind, helps her overcome her fear. - Meh Yes

It's a sweet episode, but not much of a story.

Nothing In The Dark - An old woman, terrified of death, saves a dying policeman on her doorstep. He, in kind, helps her overcome her fear. - Meh

I really liked this episode (as evidenced by my 5 star ranking) -- I am surprised you did not like this episode more.

A woman so terrified of death, she is the only tenant left in an obvious dilapidated apartment that is due to be razed, so desperately afraid she pays a child to go and fetch her groceries. She quite elderly, so she knows death is coming for her more fervently with each passing hour. Doesnt open her door for "Death's" overtures ever except when a man is quite literally dying outside her door to force her hand. I think they develop the story quite a bit for only being in one room the duration of the episode. Maybe thats just me though...

Nothing In The Dark - An old woman, terrified of death, saves a dying policeman on her doorstep. He, in kind, helps her overcome her fear. - Meh

I really liked this episode (as evidenced by my 5 star ranking) -- I am surprised you did not like this episode more.

A woman so terrified of death, she is the only tenant left in an obvious dilapidated apartment that is due to be razed, so desperately afraid she pays a child to go and fetch her groceries. She quite elderly, so she knows death is coming for her more fervently with each passing hour. Doesnt open her door for "Death's" overtures ever except when a man is quite literally dying outside her door to force her hand. I think they develop the story quite a bit for only being in one room the duration of the episode. Maybe thats just me though...
And Robert Redford. He's dreamy.

Very good episode despite Redford's weak performance.

Very good episode despite Redford's weak performance.
I have heard this said before but I think Redford was just fine as death.

It's been slow viewing for me this week (which means work has actually been busy).

Hope to check out a few episodes this afternoon

One More Pallbearer - A wealthy man builds a bomb shelter and offers three people from his past - three that he believes wronged him - shelter from nuclear holocaust but only if they ask for forgiveness. - Yes

Half way through I was ready to call this one a "Yuck". I didn't like the initial conceit - how did he get these people to just show up at his house? But once over that, the fact that he only confirms why they wronged him in the first place and the effect that it has on his psyche turned it around for me.

One More Pallbearer - A wealthy man builds a bomb shelter and offers three people from his past - three that he believes wronged him - shelter from nuclear holocaust but only if they ask for forgiveness. - Yes

Half way through I was ready to call this one a "Yuck". I didn't like the initial conceit - how did he get these people to just show up at his house? But once over that, the fact that he only confirms why they wronged him in the first place and the effect that it has on his psyche turned it around for me.
I love this one.

I love this one.
The double twist ending is really well set up and done.

I love this one.
The double twist ending is really well set up and done.
Agreed.

I gave this one 4 stars. it was VERY close to a 5 star for me.

Dead Man's Shoes - A bum puts on a murdered mobsters shoes and...becomes possessed by him. - Yuck

Glacial pace with a repetitive soundtrack. And we all know how the story washes/rinses/repeats. I wonder, however, if the Coen's based their Dane character from Miller's Crossing off this one.

The Hunt - A man dies while on a coon hunt but doesn't realize it at first. Once he gets to the afterlife, his trusty hound helps him get to the right place. - Yes

A slower episode, but one that gets it right...if there's no room for dogs in Heaven, well then it ain't Heaven.

Showdown With Rance McGrew - A milquetoast actor who portrays a strongman sheriff finds himself confronted with the real Jessie James who "suggests" changes to the script. - Yuck

Just dumb.

After a brief break, back on the horse, reports from the holiday weekend:

HOCUS POCUS AND FRISBY (Season 3, Episode 30 {95}) - An old man, full of tall tales and the biggest pathological liar of "been-there-done-that" 's there is, finds himself aboard an alien exploration vessel, as they seek the most knowledgeable human there is, and they believe Frisby! But is Frisby telling the truth, or has he cried wolf too many times for anyone to believe him? [2 STARS] Perilously close to a 1, but gave it a 2 due to Andy Devine

THE TRADE-INS (Season 3, Episode 31 {96}) - An elderly couple, realize they haven't much longer to live, so they decide to visit a medical center specializing in a new technology: body swapping [3 STARS]

THE GIFT (Season 3, Episode 32 {97}) - A humanoid alien has just crash-landed outside a mountain village just across the Texas-Mexico border. He has killed a police officer and was wounded by another. Does he truly come in peace, or does he have an ulterior motive? [1 STARS] - Not a bad story, but for me it is just one that was felt contrived and was not fully developed enough

Worst episode - The Bewitching Pool - The one where the two kids travel from their swimming pool to a fantasy land to escape their fighting parents.

Why is this so bad? They had to redub the little girl's lines and instead of getting the original actress, they used the actress who voiced Rocky from Rocky and Bullwinkle. The girl ends up sounding exactly like Rocky and it's hilariously awful.
I just watched this episode this weekend as a TIVO suggestion. It was terrible. I didn't notice the Rocky sounding voice (although I can hear it now that you mention it), but it was fun making fun of the really poorly done southern accents. Plus the girls name was Sport, so I figured she grew up to be a Spice Girl.

I just saw this was the last episode aired of the original series. Too bad they went out like that.

Worst episode - The Bewitching Pool - The one where the two kids travel from their swimming pool to a fantasy land to escape their fighting parents.

Why is this so bad? They had to redub the little girl's lines and instead of getting the original actress, they used the actress who voiced Rocky from Rocky and Bullwinkle. The girl ends up sounding exactly like Rocky and it's hilariously awful.
I just watched this episode this weekend as a TIVO suggestion. It was terrible. I didn't notice the Rocky sounding voice (although I can hear it now that you mention it), but it was making fun of the really poorly done southern accents. Plus the girls name was Sport, so I figured she grew up to be a Spice Girl.

I just saw this was the last episode aired of the original series. Too bad they went out like that.
I'm a big fan of "final episodes" as long as they don't know it is the last one. :thumbup:

Kick The Can - An old man tries to convince his friend that they can be young again if they would only PLAY. - Yes

I really like the message of this one. It's so melancholy when his friend doesn't believe him - but that's what you get when you forget your youth.

A Piano In The House - A misanthrope buys a player piano for his trophy wife's birthday, one that gets people to speak the truth. - Meh

Good performances by the cast, but the guy is such a jerk I can't imagine those people wanting to be around him in the first place.

The Last Rites of Jeff Myrtlebank - A young man rises from the casket at his own funeral, but displays out of character traits once up and about. - Meh

The gal sure is a looker, but the buildup - while well done - doesn't "match" the payoff.

To Serve Man - Beware Kanamits bearing gifts. IT'S A COOKBOOK! - Definitely

Rightfully so, considered one of the series' best.

Of course, if they have such a book, it implies that they've served man before.

Meaning, that they'd been to earth for some time before they actually revealed themselves at the U.N.

HOCUS POCUS AND FRISBY (Season 3, Episode 30 {95}) - An old man, full of tall tales and the biggest pathological liar of "been-there-done-that" 's there is, finds himself aboard an alien exploration vessel, as they seek the most knowledgeable human there is, and they believe Frisby! But is Frisby telling the truth, or has he cried wolf too many times for anyone to believe him? [2 STARS] Perilously close to a 1, but gave it a 2 due to Andy Devine

THE TRADE-INS (Season 3, Episode 31 {96}) - An elderly couple, realize they haven't much longer to live, so they decide to visit a medical center specializing in a new technology: body swapping [3 STARS]

THE GIFT (Season 3, Episode 32 {97}) - A humanoid alien has just crash-landed outside a mountain village just across the Texas-Mexico border. He has killed a police officer and was wounded by another. Does he truly come in peace, or does he have an ulterior motive? [1 STARS] - Not a bad story, but for me it is just one that was felt contrived and was not fully developed enough
Wow, I really like Hocus and the Trade-Ins. Andy Devine is great in Hocus and while it may not be the most convincing story it is very entertaining for me. I would have given it at least 3 stars.

The Trade-Ins is a great love story and Joseph Schildkraut's performance is outstanding considering that his wife, Marie McKay, was deathly ill during the filming of the episode. 4 stars for me.

I agree with the rating on The Gift.

I just watched this episode this weekend as a TIVO suggestion. It was terrible. I didn't notice the Rocky sounding voice (although I can hear it now that you mention it), but it was fun making fun of the really poorly done southern accents. Plus the girls name was Sport, so I figured she grew up to be a Spice Girl.

It is an awful episode. The dubbing is ridiculous and the mom's b!tchi-ness is way over the top. I also found the little boy wanting to stay with an old lady creepy.

Wow, I really like Hocus and the Trade-Ins. Andy Devine is great in Hocus and while it may not be the most convincing story it is very entertaining for me. I would have given it at least 3 stars.

The Trade-Ins is a great love story and Joseph Schildkraut's performance is outstanding considering that his wife, Marie McKay, was deathly ill during the filming of the episode. 4 stars for me.

I agree with the rating on The Gift.
I was teetering between a 3 and 4 on the Trade-Ins -- you've convinced me to bump it up to a 4.

I'll have to think about Hocus Pocus...

THE DUMMY (Season 3, Episode 33 {98}) - A talented-but-troubled ventriloquist with many demons is convinced that his puppet is coming to life when the dummy begins to tell jokes without the aide of him, the puppeteer. [5 STARS] Really great episode, havent seen it in a while and still holds up quite well

YOUNG MAN'S FANCY (Season 3, Episode 34 {99}) - A newlywed couple stop by the groom's recently deceased mother's home in order to prepare it to be sold before leaving for a honeymoon, but when the groom begins to reminisce of memories in the house, those memories appear to be coming to life including the mother-in-law,much to the dismay of his wife, who wishes to have the groom all to herself [2 STARS] I was hoping that the mother would take her (the wife) out at the end, but the ending was a little too weak for me. Would've been higher had she done that (she was annoying, I can understand the milquetoast guy for not wanting to leave the house and go on a honeymoon with her)

I SING THE BODY ELECTRIC (Season 3, Episode 35 {100}) - A family, tired of mean old nannys, makes the perfect robot "grandma" and not everyone is happy about it [1 STAR] Heartwarming story, but it was not executed well and was simply not a very good episode from beginning to end.

CAVENDER IS COMING (Season 3, Episode 36 {101}) - A goofy, down-on-her-luck woman has a myriad of problems, she's unemployed, behind on her rent and other little things, so she gets help from Cavender, her guardian angel, who has been taksed to make this woman happier in twenty-four hours to earn his wings, but what if the Angel has problems of his own that he must conquer! [1 STAR] Wasn't Bevis bad enough? Carol Burnett does all she can to save this burning wreckage of an episode but its too much of a bad thing that we've seen before in a simarily panned episode.

The Fugitive - Using his powers of transformation, Ben, the elderly friend of young Jenny, tries to avoid apprehension by some mysterious men. - Yes

Another one that has a nice tone to it.

Little Girl Lost - A couple loses their daughter (and family dog) to a different dimension. They enlist their physicist friend to get her back. - Yes

The acting is over the top and the execution (e.g. the camera angles/focus) didn't work much for me. But the science-y slant was decent. I wonder if Poltergeist was inspired by this...

Person or Persons Unknown - A man wakes up and finds that nobody knows who he is. And then things get worse. - Yes

I liked it the more I thought about it. Which would be worse - nobody that you know knows you or all the people you thought you knew you don't?

The Little People - Two astronauts find a civilization of ant sized people and one lets his god complex run wild - to predictable results. - Yes

I read a similar short story where a space creature eats the Earth only to be eaten by something bigger. Thane or Thang or something like that. Anyway, a good cautionary tale.

The Hank said:
THE DUMMY (Season 3, Episode 33 {98}) - A talented-but-troubled ventriloquist with many demons is convinced that his puppet is coming to life when the dummy begins to tell jokes without the aide of him, the puppeteer. [5 STARS] Really great episode, havent seen it in a while and still holds up quite well

YOUNG MAN'S FANCY (Season 3, Episode 34 {99}) - A newlywed couple stop by the groom's recently deceased mother's home in order to prepare it to be sold before leaving for a honeymoon, but when the groom begins to reminisce of memories in the house, those memories appear to be coming to life including the mother-in-law,much to the dismay of his wife, who wishes to have the groom all to herself [2 STARS] I was hoping that the mother would take her (the wife) out at the end, but the ending was a little too weak for me. Would've been higher had she done that (she was annoying, I can understand the milquetoast guy for not wanting to leave the house and go on a honeymoon with her)

I SING THE BODY ELECTRIC (Season 3, Episode 35 {100}) - A family, tired of mean old nannys, makes the perfect robot "grandma" and not everyone is happy about it [1 STAR] Heartwarming story, but it was not executed well and was simply not a very good episode from beginning to end.

CAVENDER IS COMING (Season 3, Episode 36 {101}) - A goofy, down-on-her-luck woman has a myriad of problems, she's unemployed, behind on her rent and other little things, so she gets help from Cavender, her guardian angel, who has been taksed to make this woman happier in twenty-four hours to earn his wings, but what if the Angel has problems of his own that he must conquer! [1 STAR] Wasn't Bevis bad enough? Carol Burnett does all she can to save this burning wreckage of an episode but its too much of a bad thing that we've seen before in a simarily panned episode.
I agree with your ratings on these episodes.

The depressing part about "I SIng the Body Electric" is that it is the only Twilight Zone story written by Sci-Fi great Ray Bradbury. Bradbury submitted several scripts to Serling but for whatever reason this is the only one that made it into production. And unfortunately it was not executed well at all.

The Fugitive - Using his powers of transformation, Ben, the elderly friend of young Jenny, tries to avoid apprehension by some mysterious men. - Yes

Another one that has a nice tone to it.

Little Girl Lost - A couple loses their daughter (and family dog) to a different dimension. They enlist their physicist friend to get her back. - Yes

The acting is over the top and the execution (e.g. the camera angles/focus) didn't work much for me. But the science-y slant was decent. I wonder if Poltergeist was inspired by this...

Person or Persons Unknown - A man wakes up and finds that nobody knows who he is. And then things get worse. - Yes

I liked it the more I thought about it. Which would be worse - nobody that you know knows you or all the people you thought you knew you don't?

The Little People - Two astronauts find a civilization of ant sized people and one lets his god complex run wild - to predictable results. - Yes

I read a similar short story where a space creature eats the Earth only to be eaten by something bigger. Thane or Thang or something like that. Anyway, a good cautionary tale.
Agreed. These were all good ones.

THE CHANGING OF THE GUARD (Season 3, Episode 37 {102}) - A very tenured professor of over 50 years is forced into retirement, and because he feels he has accomplished nothing in his career, he ultimately contemplates taking his own life. It isnt until he is mysteriously visited by some of his former students that he realizes the impact he has made over the years. (3 STARS) - Nice story showcasing the importance of teachers and the impact that (albeit a good teacher) has made on his/her pupils.

THE CHANGING OF THE GUARD (Season 3, Episode 37 {102}) - A very tenured professor of over 50 years is forced into retirement, and because he feels he has accomplished nothing in his career, he ultimately contemplates taking his own life. It isnt until he is mysteriously visited by some of his former students that he realizes the impact he has made over the years. (3 STARS) - Nice story showcasing the importance of teachers and the impact that (albeit a good teacher) has made on his/her pupils.
Sounds kinda like Mr. Holland's Opus.

Users who are viewing this thread