What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Twilight Zone project - Ranking episodes (per season) (1 Viewer)

That's Agnes Moorehead, she played Endora, Samantha's mother , on Bewitched.

Richard Matheson wrote the story and thought Moorehead was great but was unhappy with the robotic spaceman they used to portray the astronauts.
I'm probably being a bit harsh on her performance. It practically was a silent film performance and if it were done any other way it probably would have turned out dull.

That's Agnes Moorehead, she played Endora, Samantha's mother , on Bewitched.

Richard Matheson wrote the story and thought Moorehead was great but was unhappy with the robotic spaceman they used to portray the astronauts.
I'm probably being a bit harsh on her performance. It practically was a silent film performance and if it were done any other way it probably would have turned out dull.
Yeah I have a bigger problem with the spacemen but in 1961 that was about the best that could be done, especially considering the limited time and budget that the Twilight Zone had to work with.

Thanks for doing this. Love the Twilight Zone but only have seen about half the episodes and the only new ones I've seen are at random on SciFi channel marathons after the wife and kids are in bed. (She thinks they're scary)

Looking forward to picking out some of your favorites I haven't seen and tracking them down on Netflix.

Andy, I decided I am going on this journey with you -- I updated my post at #6 and will keep add my thoughts as I go through like it were my personal journal -- I will wait until I rewatch an episode to pass judgement.
:hifive: Let's go!
Watched 2 episodes last night --

Where is Everybody? - Definitely a good episode, interesting twist at the end and not quite you expected -- I'm not giving it 5 stars, but I'll give it 4

One for the Angels - A true "feel-good" story of a street salesman whose time has come up, not before he gives the pitch of his life for someone else's, I gave it 3 stars, average episode IMO

Watched during my break:

Mr.Denton on Doomsday - Former Gunslinger/Town drunk in old western town meets Fate and turns his life around, until he has to prove himself again. 4 Stars (Yes)

"Five Characters In Search of an Exit" is the best episode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched a slew of episodes on Saturday:

THE SIXTEEN-MILLIMETER SHRINE (Season 1, Episode 4) - Aged, former starlet finds herself longing to be a movie star again, lives vicariously through her films and wishes to go back to movie life instead of the rigors of aging (4/5 stars)

WALKING DISTANCE (Season 1, Episode 5) - Successful business man stops at a gas station to get his car fixed, notices his hometown is a short jaunt away, goes back to see that nothing has changed since the day he left. (4/5 stars)

ESCAPE CLAUSE (Season 1, Episode 6) - Hypochondriac makes a deal with the devil to live forever/be invincible, but at what costs? (4/5 stars)

THE LONELY (Season 1, Episode 7) - Man sentenced to solitary imprisonment on a wayward asteroid/planet gets an unexpected companion (2/5 stars - episode could've been so much better, ending was kind of weak)

TIME ENOUGH AT LAST (Season 1, Episode 8) -- Emphatic book worm tries to read every moment he can, which is difficult whilst working at his dead end job and under the oppression of his wife while at home. We wonder, what if he had all the time in the world to read without any distractions? (5/5 stars - an absolute classic in any sense - my favorite episode of the entire series)

More catching up to do tonight!

Was only able to watch one over the weekend (graduation parties...yuck).

A Penny For Your Thoughts - A lucky coin toss makes a mid-level banker clarivoyant. And he proceeds to do nothing with it other than to get a date and blackmail his boss. - Meh

Interesting. Watched Back To The Future (the movie) yesterday and just found out this bit of trivia:

The back lot used as the town of Hill Valley is also seen in the first episode of Twilight Zone Twilight Zone: Where Is Everybody? (1959)
Cool!

Busy viewing day today:

PERCHANCE TO DREAM (Season 1, Episode 9) -- A panicked man enters a therapists office, insistent that he is going to die if he falls asleep and is having trouble staying awake, or is he? (3/5 STARS -- I agree w/ Andy that the middle of the story is a bit jumbled -- but the ending, in my opinion, is excellent)

JUDGEMENT NIGHT (Season 1, Episode 10) -- A former naval officer aboard a commuter ship experiences a 'de ja vu' of sorts. "Dazed and confused", he is confident that they are being followed, but by whom? (4/5 STARS)

AND WHEN THE SKY WAS OPENED (Season 1, Episode 11) - Three men returned from space on a successful mission, or did they? Who? What? (5/5 STARS)

WHAT YOU NEED (Season 1, Episode 12) - An old peddler with the ability to peer into the future of his clients to satisfy their immediate needs meets his match in a dangerous man who has endless needs that turn into demands (5/5 STARS)

THE FOUR OF US ARE DYING (Season 1, Episode 13) - A man who can change identities seemlessly gets lost within himself and runs out of a bad situation and walks right into one he never saw coming (4/5 STARS)

THIRD FROM THE SUN (Season 1, Episode 14) - A pilot and a scientist plan to take their families and escape to a new planet via space ship due to hysteria their world is soon coming to an end (3/5 STARS - good episode especially twist at end, thought that it could've been GREAT though)

Twenty Two - As she recuperates in the hospital, a lady has recurring nightmares of a nurse telling her there's "room for one more" in the morgue. Invitation or warning? This would be a good one to watch late at night because it's rather creepy. It would have been a "Definitely" if they'd had the lady be less of a Marilyn Monroe-like ditz. As it is, it's a strong "Yes".

The Odyssey Of Flight 33 - A passenger jet bound for New York encounters turbulence that doesn't throw it off course...it throws it off TIME. This is a masterpiece of storytelling, both in script and performance. A group of people basically sit in a box and stare out the window, but they're absolutely convincing doing it. And I like that it doesn't have a happy ending. Absolutely "Definitely".

Twenty Two - As she recuperates in the hospital, a lady has recurring nightmares of a nurse telling her there's "room for one more" in the morgue. Invitation or warning? This would be a good one to watch late at night because it's rather creepy. It would have been a "Definitely" if they'd had the lady be less of a Marilyn Monroe-like ditz. As it is, it's a strong "Yes".

The Odyssey Of Flight 33 - A passenger jet bound for New York encounters turbulence that doesn't throw it off course...it throws it off TIME. This is a masterpiece of storytelling, both in script and performance. A group of people basically sit in a box and stare out the window, but they're absolutely convincing doing it. And I like that it doesn't have a happy ending. Absolutely "Definitely".
Flight 33 is excellent

A Penny For Your Thoughts - A lucky coin toss makes a mid-level banker clarivoyant. And he proceeds to do nothing with it other than to get a date and blackmail his boss. - Meh
I love this one. Good humor and **** York carries it well. I love the part when he walks by the lady holding her $ and she has no thoughts at all.

I love this one. Good humor and **** York carries it well. I love the part when he walks by the lady holding her $ and she has no thoughts at all.
Me too. I always liked this episode. I would give it higher than a Meh.

Me too. I always liked this episode. I would give it higher than a Meh.
GB, when do you start your rankings?

Last Night's/Today's Report:

1.15 - I SHOT AN ARROW INTO THE SKY (Season 1, Episode 15) - Flight crew on the maiden voyage of a brand new experimental spaceship land in an all-too-familiar asteroid type planet, the survivors of the crew search for a way to stay alive; and for one, at any and all costs (2/5 STARS)

1.16 - THE HITCH-HIKER (Season 1, Episode 16) - Young woman on a road trip keeps encountering the same hitchhiker repeatedly as she makes her trek. Impossible? Or is she going his way? (5/5 STARS)

1.17 - THE FEVER (Season 1, Episode 17) - A penny pinching, grumpy old man and his wife win a trip to Vegas, and the old man catches a fever, and the only prescription is more coins! (3/5 STARS)

1.18 - THE LAST FLIGHT (Season 1, Episode 18) - A WWI pilot somehow time travels and lands in a 1960s air base, was he sent there for a reason? Or does he have unfinished business? (4/5 STARS)

1.19 - THE PURPLE TESTAMENT (Season 1, Episode 19) - A soldier is granted the ability to foresee death on the faces of future victims, is it a gift or a curse? (4/5 STARS)

1.20 - ELEGY (Season 1, Episode 20) - A trio of earth space travelers are marooned on a wayward asteroid that is filled with humans devoid of life, frozen in time under the watch of a lone taker (5/5 STARS)

ETA - Purple testament a 4 instead of 5/5

Yesterday's/Today's Report:

MIRROR IMAGE (Season 1, Episode 21) - Woman in bus station is convinced her mirror image is coming to take over her life (5/5 STARS)

THE MONSTERS ARE DUE ON MAPLE STREET (Season 1, Episode 22) - Surburban neighborhood turns neighbors on each other after a freak event cuts electricity of nearly every home/machine on the street (5/5 STARS)

A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE (Season 1, Episode 23) - Man shows up at work as normal to find out he's actually an actor on a movie set. He finds out that the life he's been living has been a movie all along (3/5 STARS)

LONG LIVE WALTER JAMESON (Season 1, Episode 24) - History professor seems to know everything there is to know about the Civil War and history itself, its almost as though he lived during that time and is speaking from personal experience (4/5 STARS)

PEOPLE ARE ALIKE ALL OVER (Season 1, Episode 25) - Scientist crash lands on Mars hoping to study the intelligent life that inhabit there, the question is, are the inhabitants more interested in him? (4/5 STARS)

EXECUTION (Season 1, Episode 26) - Criminal from late 1800s is sentenced to death when he is transported in time to present day NYC. Is he in hell, or is he on a quick detour? (4/5 STARS) - Episode was a 3/5 until the end for me, Great twist

THE BIG TALL WISH (Season 1, Episode 27) - Boxer befriends a little boy who makes a wish that he wins a fight by what seems like some sort of miracle (1/5 STARS) - Story is weak at best, poor acting and just a really painfully slow moving story that had a boring/uneventful ending - worst so far by a long shot

A NICE PLACE TO VISIT (Season 1, Episode 28) - A jewel thief gets killed during a failed heist and is sent to heaven? Aided by his guide, he soon realizes that having everything that he wants isnt quite what he yearned for and is becoming, in fact, torture (4/5 STARS) - 3/5 until the end for this one too

Mr. Dingle, The Strong - Don Rickles smacks around Burgess Meredith...and then the two headed, robot Martian shows up to give him super strength. But the weird part doesn't happen until the Venusian kids with grown up voices show up. Mmmkay. - Yuck

Easily the worst episode I've seen so far.

Mr. Dingle, The Strong - Don Rickles smacks around Burgess Meredith...and then the two headed, robot Martian shows up to give him super strength. But the weird part doesn't happen until the Venusian kids with grown up voices show up. Mmmkay. - Yuck

Easily the worst episode I've seen so far.
I kind of liked this episode. Mostly due to Burgess Meredith though.

Mr. Denton On Doomsday - "How dry I am..."
Walking Distance - Similar to "A Stop At Willoughby" but with a slightly different angle.
Mr. Denton - pretty predictable that they'd each have a drink. Really thought they'd off each other though.

Walking Distance - kind of funny that he meets himself as a young boy and then meets his parents, but it takes him seeing his neighbor's kid's new car to realize he went back in time.

NIGHTMARE AS A CHILD (Season 1, Episode 29) - A woman's subconscious in the form of herself as a child helps solve the mystery of her past, and prevents her from having the same fate (4/5 STARS)

A STOP AT WILLOUGHBY (Season 1, Episode 30) - Salesman is desperately tired of the rigors of his job when he finds solace in a dream while asleep on the train, longing for living in a simpler time in the fictitious town of Willoughby (3/5 STARS)

THE CHASER (Season 1, Episode 31) - A young man is desperately in love with a woman who does not feel the same way, desperate enough to make a deal he will soon regret (3/5 STARS)

A PASSAGE FOR TRUMPET (Season 1, Episode 32) - A drunk musician tired of life has to step in front of a truck to realize that he doesnt really want to go (2/5 STARS)

MR. BEVIS (Season 1, Episode 33) - A zany, unsuccessful, but wildly popular man has a guardian angel help turn around his life, but he must sacrifice his personality in order to do so (2/5 STARS)

THE AFTER-HOURS (Season 1, Episode 34) - A woman purchases an item at a department store on a floor which doesnt exist, and discovers who she really is after she is mistakenly locked in the department store after closing (5/5 STARS)

THE MIGHTY CASEY (Season 1, Episode 35) - A manager desperate to field a winning signs a robot pitcher who throws an unhittable fastball, when the robot starts to feel human emotion it refuses to strike out any opposing players for fear of hurting their feelings (1/5 STARS)

A WORLD OF HIS OWN (Season 1, Episode 36) - A playwright has the uncanny ability to create characters/living beings that come alive by simply speaking into his dictation machine, how many people in his life has he created? (3/5 STARS)

Onto season 2!

Talking Tina said:
:lol:

Static - Crotchety old guy listens to an old radio instead of watching TV and pines for the old days...and gets them. It would have been better if he was a melancholy old guy. - Meh

Four good ones in a row:

The Prime Mover - A loser gambler finds out his buddy (see what I did there?) can move objects with his mind and decides to make a quick buck. His friend saves him by rigging the game in his own way. - Yes.

Long Distance Call - A doting (obsessed) grandmother remains connected to her grandson even in death. But it's the pleas of the father that save him. A creepy episode. - Yes

A Hundred Years Over The Rim - A pioneer headed west strikes out to get help for his son, only to find himself 100 years in the future. Really good performances. - Definitely

The Rip Van Winkle Caper - Four gold thieves expect to wake up rich 100 years in the future. But technology and greed have their way with them. - Yes

KING NINE WILL NOT RETURN (Season 2, Episode 1, {37}) - A pilot finds himself stranded, alone except for the wreckage and the mystery of what happened to his crew, all of whom have disappeared (3 STARS)

THE MAN IN THE BOTTLE (Season 2, Episode 2, {38}) - A man and wife running a struggling antique shop come across a magical bottle which could help solve all of their problems, or create new ones (4 STARS)

NERVOUS MAN IN A FOUR-DOLLAR ROOM (Season 2, Episode 3, {39}) - An unsuccessful, insecure conman is given an ultimatum by his boss to kill an old man or be killed himself, before his deadline he looks in the mirror and sees a side to himself that he hasnt seen in quite a long time. (3 STARS)

A THING ABOUT MACHINES (Season 2, Episode 4, {40}) - A pretentious and sophisticated man has great disdain for machines of all kinds and treats them poorly, and as a result they no longer want him around. (2 STARS)

THE HOWLING MAN (Season 2, Episode 5, {41}) - A tourist seeks refuge and shelter from a huge storm in a monastery full of religious folk, upon exploring the bowels of the castle the tourist follows a howling type noise and finds a most curious captive (4 STARS)

THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER (Season 2, Episode 6, {42}) - A recovering plastic surgery patient is yet again in a hospital, as she waits to see if the doctors have succeeded in making her appearance more conforming and socially acceptable to a world that she is desperate to look a part of. (5 STARS)

NICK OF TIME (Season 2, Episode 7, {43}) - A young, happy couple stuck in a small town have lunch at a diner and encounter a cheap, napkin holder fortune teller machine that seems to know an awful lot about their lives and future. (5 STARS)

THE LATENESS OF THE HOUR (Season 2, Episode 8, {44}) - A sensitive daughter of a creative genius, is distraught over her parents' reliance on her father's five seemingly perfect robot servants, complete with programmed memories and personalities (4 STARS)

THE TROUBLE WITH TEMPLETON (Season 2, Episode 9, {45}) - An aging broadway actor reluctant about doing another show gains self confidence by traveling in the past where he finds himself in a play with many characters of his past relationships, including his late wife. (3 STARS)

MR. BEVIS (Season 1, Episode 33) - A zany, unsuccessful, but wildly popular man has a guardian angel help turn around his life, but he must sacrifice his personality in order to do so (2/5 STARS)
Is this the episode where he first meets Mr. Butthead?

3 More from Today:

A MOST UNUSUAL CAMERA (Season 2, Episode 10 {46}) - A husband-wife petty thieving team come across a camera retrieved from another unsuccessful heist that can take pictures of future events moments before it actually happens (5 STARS)

THE NIGHT OF THE MEEK (Season 2, Episode 11 {47}) - A drunk department store Santa gets fired from his job, stumbles across a magical burlap bag of trash-turned-gifts and becomes the actual Kris Kringle to give gifts to those in need. (3 STARS)

DUST (Season 2, Episode 12 {48}) - The father of a man condemned makes a deal with a sleazy peddler to purchase "magic" dust that'll help save his son. (3 STARS)

Andy Dufresne said:
So between the two of us, Hank, we're telling people to watch all of them because they're all really good. :lol:
Yeah basically -- having alot of fun with this! Watched a few with my dad over Father's Day weekend!

I've been thinking about a few episodes, and am re-evaluating my initial placement grade on them:

DOWNGRADES:

One for the Angels from 3 STARS to 2 STARS - Nice feel good story but I have a feeling that Death isnt going to stop killing anyone because he needs a new necktie, didnt like it as much when thinking about it

Mr. Bevis from 2 STARS to 1 STAR - Upon further pontification, this episode really sucks.

King 9 Will Not Return from 3 STARS to 2 STARS - Acting was really overdown on this one and was pretty annoying a guy continually looking around for his crew, the story is about a 1 until the end, a very clever twist to save it from being terrible.

UPGRADES:

None at the moment

I've been thinking about a few episodes, and am re-evaluating my initial placement grade on them:

DOWNGRADES:

One for the Angels from 3 STARS to 2 STARS - Nice feel good story but I have a feeling that Death isnt going to stop killing anyone because he needs a new necktie, didnt like it as much when thinking about it
But Death was supposed to kill Bookman until the latter talked the former out of it. To take Bookman's place, Death tries to take the little girl instead.

Realizing his error, Bookman sets it right. So Death still took the requisite number.

The Silence - A curmudgeon bets a blowhard he can't shut up for an entire year...leading to a horrific ending for one of them. - Yes
Shadow Play - A man sentenced to death tries to convince those around him that they're only a figment of his imagination - and if he goes, they go. - Definitely
The Mind And The Matter - Given a "how to" book on mind power, he uses it to change the world to what he thinks is his liking. - Meh
Will The Real Martian Please Stand Up - Two police officers follow tracks in the snow leading away from a downed spacecraft and towards a diner. At least one of the patrons doesn't belong. - Definitely

The Obsolete Man - The totalitarian State liquidates people without purpose, such as librarians as books lead to thought. But the thinking man goes room 101 on the government man who condemned him. - Definitely

I loved The Obsolete Man. I don't know that I've seen that one before. But since 1984 is one of my favorite books, it only figures that I'd like this one.

Season 2 is, on the whole, really fantastic.

DOWNGRADES:

But Death was supposed to kill Bookman until the latter talked the former out of it. To take Bookman's place, Death tries to take the little girl instead.

Realizing his error, Bookman sets it right. So Death still took the requisite number.
Yeah, I guess... I'll move it back to 3 while I think about it longer

Users who are viewing this thread