What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bicycle Guys! (2 Viewers)

I tell everybody to start their searches at Bikes Direct but nobody ever seems to :shrug: Your money I guess, waste it as you see fit.
That website needs a serious overhaul. I agree that they have great bargains, but my god the design and usability of that site is horrendous
There's a reason they sell cheap...little overhead.
Given their reputation I'd go with Poseidon or Canyon. I'm sure people get good deals, but I've heard stories, as well.

I tell everybody to start their searches at Bikes Direct but nobody ever seems to :shrug: Your money I guess, waste it as you see fit.
That website needs a serious overhaul. I agree that they have great bargains, but my god the design and usability of that site is horrendous
I honestly don't think their bikes are incredible bargains, but I know a lot of people on this site are fans of them.

It's a major turnoff that they say stuff like *PROMO SALE* Originally $999 NOW $499! Compare to $900 from Trek!

The reality is that the bike they are selling is comparable to a similarly priced bike from Trek. They are the bicycle equivalent of the going out of business furniture store.

I really love State bikes. Form and function for a fair price. I'm a single speed guy so these work well. There's also the entry Core line which run $400 and provide great value.

Given their reputation I'd go with Poseidon or Canyon. I'm sure people get good deals, but I've heard stories, as well.
I had nothing but Trek but decided my expensive road bike shouldn't be a slave to my trainer so I bought a Poseidon to keep on the trainer. Can't ride much more than an hour on that thing. I need a new saddle just haven't invested the time. My Trek road bike I can ride all day, feels like sitting on the couch.

Not an indictment of Poseidon, I like the bike plenty for $700 and my GB @Jaysus swears by his which is why I got mine, just saying.

I had nothing but Trek but decided my expensive road bike shouldn't be a slave to my trainer so I bought a Poseidon to keep on the trainer. Can't ride much more than an hour on that thing. I need a new saddle just haven't invested the time. My Trek road bike I can ride all day, feels like sitting on the couch.

Not an indictment of Poseidon, I like the bike plenty for $700 and my GB @Jaysus swears by his which is why I got mine, just saying.
My brother has a Poseidon X and while it is great value, I agree that the saddle is an abomination. Even with padded shorts it’s awful.

My brother has a Poseidon X and while it is great value, I agree that the saddle is an abomination. Even with padded shorts it’s awful.
The wheels are terrible too

The wheels are terrible too
The wheels on basically every budget bike are terrible. Wheelsets are expensive.

I honestly don't think their bikes are incredible bargains, but I know a lot of people on this site are fans of them.

It's a major turnoff that they say stuff like *PROMO SALE* Originally $999 NOW $499! Compare to $900 from Trek!

The reality is that the bike they are selling is comparable to a similarly priced bike from Trek. They are the bicycle equivalent of the going out of business furniture store.
My history with Bikesdirect:

In 2011, they were an incredible deal - the claims they make were roughly true back then when I compared them to LBS prices for Trek/Giant/Specialized. I bought a bike for a great price and loved it for 11 years.

In 2016 when looking for a bike for my older son, I found a better deal when Nashbar was acquired and were selling everything for a great price. Son loves the bike.

In 2019, they were a pretty great deal when I was picking out a bike for my second son - I ended up going with them and he's loved his bike.

In 2020 during the pandemic, I started looking around to replace my bike, and demand was high, prices were high, and there was no availability. I kept watching for the next 2 years and couldn't make myself pull the trigger at the super high prices, which extended out as supply chain issues persisted. I really buckled down and searched hard last summer, and ended up going with Bikesdirect, but man it had gone from 30% less expensive to like 10% less expensive. It was a close call with a Polygon bike. Anyway, I love the bike.

When I poked around this week, I didn't see anything at Bikesdirect that was even worth mentioning at the $500 threshold. We'll see over time, but I think they might have lost their price edge during the pandemic.

And that website is just the worst.

My Lemond road bike has been fine for commuting around town. I will probably never be able to fix the brifter so it is stuck in the middle gear on the front ring. And the ball bearings in the back wheel are bad. I've been told it's an easy fix but I ride with the wheel tightened to limit side wobble. Things tend to get worse when I try to repair them. I looked for large frame bikes in my area and found this deal:

$150 for a 2010 Fuji ROUBAIX acr 2.0 road bike. It appears to be the original owner who has had the bike sitting in their garage for the last 10 years after riding it for a few when new.

What do you guys think?

The Lemond is probably steel so it rides like a champ when commuting. Honestly, I'd try to find a place / person willing to do repairs for free. There's probably some cycling non profits in SF (I think you live in the city, right?) that might have repair clinics or workshops. See if a kind soul is willing to fix a bike you like and are comfortable riding. If I still lived in Oakland, I'd BART over and do it for you, but I've been in Baltimore for 15 years now.

The Lemond is probably steel so it rides like a champ when commuting. Honestly, I'd try to find a place / person willing to do repairs for free. There's probably some cycling non profits in SF (I think you live in the city, right?) that might have repair clinics or workshops. See if a kind soul is willing to fix a bike you like and are comfortable riding. If I still lived in Oakland, I'd BART over and do it for you, but I've been in Baltimore for 15 years now.
You're right. I like keeping possessions to a minimum. I should fix the Lemond rather than saddle myself with another bike. The Lemond is steel and feels quick off the line. There are a couple bike repair volunteers who come to my lunch spot on the 1st Thursday of the month. And there is also an older guy who has given me his number and offered to help with his tools/stand. I think the brifter needs complete replacement (the options online cost as much as the bike itself) since I took the spring out. Fixing the ball bearings alone would be great. I won't be wasting pedaling power riding through the tightened nuts, and I understand that leaving the bearings as they are is riskier further damage to the wheel.

Does anybody have thoughts or comments about Jamis bikes? I'm really interested in the new Renegade S2.

Does anybody have thoughts or comments about Jamis bikes? I'm really interested in the new Renegade S2.
Nice bike. There are so many choices now in the gravel/adventure world that all are solid choices that it really just comes down to personal preferences. I would write down what you want in a bike (max tire width, frame material, groupset, 1 by or 2 by, mounting options, budget, weight, etc.) and find the one that fits the most of those preferences and go for it

Nice bike. There are so many choices now in the gravel/adventure world that all are solid choices that it really just comes down to personal preferences. I would write down what you want in a bike (max tire width, frame material, groupset, 1 by or 2 by, mounting options, budget, weight, etc.) and find the one that fits the most of those preferences and go for it
I make so many spreadsheets when I do research before buying a bike.

I have a Jamis Allegro which is a fitness type bike that I keep at my beach house. It is not my main bike but fits perfectly for what I use it for (mostly riding around town and some medium length rides (~10 mils) ). No compliants from me on build quality or components. My general sense of the brand when I bought it and my experience is that they are perfectly good bikes priced reasonably. I would not go and buy a top end bike from them but if you aren't interested in that then they are a good option that are generally cheaper then more well known brands.

Users who are viewing this thread