What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bicycle Guys! (1 Viewer)

I bought a Joe Blow pump for $15 on Craigslist. After I rolled up to his place on my Lemond, winded and sweaty from the hills, the seller decided to give me a small toolkit pouch with tube and tools. Suddenly I felt guilty about having negotiated the pump down from $20, which was already a fair price, but I've always been a generous Craigslist seller/gifter so karma is balanced.

Upon removing the Canyon bike from the box, I saw there was a minor complication. Maybe because it is a 2XL frame, they removed the rear wheel to ship. All the videos I can find and my limited past experience is with assembling bikes that have the rear wheel already attached. Plus, one axle poked through the box during shipping and a few threads were slightly scratched.

Wheel attachment is pretty easy. Is it a thru (solid) axle, or is it a “quick release” with a lever?
I think it's a quick release. The front has a quick release lever attached to the frame and there is a longer quick release among the tool kit. But looking at the back wheel, the plastic piece that was supposed to protect the axle area broke in shipment and I'm not sure what is removable. I need to stop sniffing glue.

Wheel attachment is pretty easy. Is it a thru (solid) axle, or is it a “quick release” with a lever?
I think it's a quick release. The front has a quick release lever attached to the frame and there is a longer quick release among the tool kit. But looking at the back wheel, the plastic piece that was supposed to protect the axle area broke in shipment and I'm not sure what is removable. I need to stop sniffing glue.
Canyon is generally pretty responsive to inquiries about damaged goods. Reach out to them. In the meantime you may be able to use your quick release skewer from your other bike so long as the spacing is similar.

Also - there should be plenty of youtube videos on how to remove and install a rear wheel

Canyon is generally pretty responsive to inquiries about damaged goods. Reach out to them. In the meantime you may be able to use your quick release skewer from your other bike so long as the spacing is similar.

Also - there should be plenty of youtube videos on how to remove and install a rear wheel
I sent them a pre-emptive email with a picture of the damaged box. I figured the actual damage to the bike wouldn't be significant enough to warrant a return but maybe I can earn brownie points? I have watched part of a video. I should search for one that includes a hydraulic brake. Also, canyon did not include friction paste. I've seen that was a common issue mentioned by past customers, since the manual shows the paste being applied to the seat post and other spots. I can probably get something similar from a LBS for little cost. I need to tackle this when my head is clear.

Definitely quick release. Should be easy to find and attach. On the back you want that levered reasonably tight. As far as the plastic protector I wouldn't be worried about it unless you see damage to an actual component. That brave plastic disc gave its life for your bike's safety. Unless it's a plastic ended quick release skewer, then you'd need them to send another of those.

I'm looking for a bike for my son. He's 9 - about 4'7" tall. Two questions for anyone in the know -

I'm inclined to go 24" bike vs. a 20" bike because he's on the cusp of a 24" from what I've read. Pro's / Con's of the 24" vs. the 20"?

I'm looking at something sub-$300...mainly because I recognize this isn't his forever-bike. He's going to use it to ride around the neighborhood or maybe some gravel paths with the family. He'll beat it up. He'll drop it A LOT. He's not gentle with anything.

Are there brands to stick to in that price range? There are so many brands these days. Does it make more sense to go gently used better brand vs. new?

I'm looking for a bike for my son. He's 9 - about 4'7" tall. Two questions for anyone in the know -

I'm inclined to go 24" bike vs. a 20" bike because he's on the cusp of a 24" from what I've read. Pro's / Con's of the 24" vs. the 20"?

I'm looking at something sub-$300...mainly because I recognize this isn't his forever-bike. He's going to use it to ride around the neighborhood or maybe some gravel paths with the family. He'll beat it up. He'll drop it A LOT. He's not gentle with anything.

Are there brands to stick to in that price range? There are so many brands these days. Does it make more sense to go gently used better brand vs. new?
Definitely go 24" if he is close.

This is a good website https://www.twowheelingtots.com/best-kids-24-inch-bikes/

I got my kids Commencal Ramones, but I know this is overkill for most and definitely ourt of your price range. It is a sick bike though https://www.commencal.com/au/en/commencal-ramones-24-black-&-white/21RAMONES24BK.html

This is a solid deal https://www.rei.com/product/200571/diamondback-division-24-kids-bike?sku=2005710001&store=&CAWELAID=120217890012897240&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=98663780525&CATCI=pla-453412241685&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|21700000001700551_2005710001|92700053275579144|TOF|71700000066140866&gclid=Cj0KCQjw06-oBhC6ARIsAGuzdw12Nn3lWdyN6qXHtOyFyLNpqCpsj4J0pbNRezMsiJqrQa3-_EstMdAaAnVKEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Definitely go 24" if he is close.

This is a good website https://www.twowheelingtots.com/best-kids-24-inch-bikes/

I got my kids Commencal Ramones, but I know this is overkill for most and definitely ourt of your price range. It is a sick bike though https://www.commencal.com/au/en/commencal-ramones-24-black-&-white/21RAMONES24BK.html

This is a solid deal https://www.rei.com/product/200571/diamondback-division-24-kids-bike?sku=2005710001&store=&CAWELAID=120217890012897240&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=98663780525&CATCI=pla-453412241685&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|21700000001700551_2005710001|92700053275579144|TOF|71700000066140866&gclid=Cj0KCQjw06-oBhC6ARIsAGuzdw12Nn3lWdyN6qXHtOyFyLNpqCpsj4J0pbNRezMsiJqrQa3-_EstMdAaAnVKEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thank you - very helpful. I saw the twowheelingtots.com website and read through it even before posting here - what got me is their budget bikes were largely still above $300. Maybe I just need to adjust my expectations. That REI bike looks like a sweet deal though. As soon as my son gets home, I'm going to show that one to him. If he likes it, I think that's the route. I appreciate the recommendation.

Without a doubt go 24”. I just got my 8 year old a 24” and it fits him fine and he can use it for a few years. I got him a Cleary Scout, which is on sale for 531 on their site. Maybe too much bike for your needs, but it’s got some solid stuff on it.

I bought a Trek F3 at the beginning of summer. As I only needed a 30 or so minute per day rider to get the heart rate up a bit, it's been a great bike. Would buy again.

Go used on Craigslist or Bikes Direct or Walmart. If he's 9, he's going to be in the bike what? 2-3 years max? Not worth wasting a lot of time/expense on.

I would get a 24" bike, and I would buy used. The used market for bikes is falling out and there are now a lot more deals to be had. There isn't a lot of difference between the kids' bikes from the major manufacturers. I would try to find a bike without a front suspension fork as they just add extra weight with virtually zero benefits besides the kids thinking they look cool.

The reason I prefer used for a kids bike is that they will grow out of them in a couple years regardless. If you're able to find them, I like Woom and Cleary as far as brands go as they understand that keeping the bikes lighter means the kids aren't riding something that weighs 50% of their body weight.

Go used on Craigslist or Bikes Direct or Walmart. If he's 9, he's going to be in the bike what? 2-3 years max? Not worth wasting a lot of time/expense on.

I agree. We bought a nice used 24” for my middle kid, and the 5th kid in our extended family is just about to grow out of it. I assume the inlaws will sell it along and some other family will continue the chain.

Going on an overnight gravel/atv trail bikepacking trip with like 50 people this weekend. Camping at a pizza farm for the night so don't need to haul food or booze. Just a 45 mile day one, 25-30 mile day two thing, but super looking forward to it. Going with 3 buddies. Have done a similar route this summer with my kids and wife, but this will be a little more aggressive of a pace I imagine.

Thanks all for the input - I will say I continue to be shocked at the breadth of kids bikes out there - both in terms of brand and price. I ended up going with the Diamondback that @the moops recommended. It fit a lot of the criteria others recommended and the discount was great. It's relatively light (aluminum), and didn't have front suspension...and given the MSRP is $500+, it hopefully will hold it's value. The front disc brake is a nice feature I didn't see on sub-$300 bikes. I did browse used bikes in the area, but truthfully (and confirming the "nice bikes hold value" theory) they were still $200-$400 for a good brand bike. I saw a nice Specialized kids bike just around the corner, but they wanted $350 for it and wouldn't come down.

My son is super excited and loved the color - so win/win.

I'll be back to the thread in a few months...My daughter is 6 and just shed her training wheels last weekend....now I'm going to be the one in the market for a bike because my old Specialized Rock Hopper (circa 1994) isn't even rideable anymore and I'll need something new to keep up with the kids.

Going on an overnight gravel/atv trail bikepacking trip with like 50 people this weekend. Camping at a pizza farm for the night so don't need to haul food or booze. Just a 45 mile day one, 25-30 mile day two thing, but super looking forward to it. Going with 3 buddies. Have done a similar route this summer with my kids and wife, but this will be a little more aggressive of a pace I imagine.

that sounds awesome. I've got a 3 nighter planned next month... it's unlikely we will find pizza tho ;)

that looks like a great event - enjoy!!

Thanks all for the input - I will say I continue to be shocked at the breadth of kids bikes out there - both in terms of brand and price. I ended up going with the Diamondback that @the moops recommended. It fit a lot of the criteria others recommended and the discount was great. It's relatively light (aluminum), and didn't have front suspension...and given the MSRP is $500+, it hopefully will hold it's value. The front disc brake is a nice feature I didn't see on sub-$300 bikes. I did browse used bikes in the area, but truthfully (and confirming the "nice bikes hold value" theory) they were still $200-$400 for a good brand bike. I saw a nice Specialized kids bike just around the corner, but they wanted $350 for it and wouldn't come down.

I'll be back to the thread in a few months...My daughter is 6 and just shed her training wheels last weekend....now I'm going to be the one in the market for a bike because my old Specialized Rock Hopper (circa 1994) isn't even rideable anymore and I'll need something new to keep up with the kids.
Where are you located? I have a few extra in my garage and need to make room. I think my family of 3 is up to 11 bikes now.

The location is perfect.

Where are you located? I have a few extra in my garage and need to make room. I think my family of 3 is up to 11 bikes now.
Flemington NJ...

That DIamondback actually looks like a pretty solid choice. I missed that suggestion. Let us know what type of bike you're looking for. There are a lot of sales out there right now.

Shimano announced an "inspection" recall on millions of their cranks sold from 2012-2023.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2023/Shimano-Recalls-Cranksets-for-Bicycles-Due-to-Crash-Hazard

Description:
This recall involves Shimano Ultegra FC-6800, Dura-Ace FC-9000, Ultegra FC-R8000, Dura-Ace FC-R9100 and FC-R9100P 11-Speed Bonded Hollowtech Road Cranksets manufactured prior to July 2019 sold individually and on bicycles sold by other manufacturers such as Trek and Specialized. A crankset is the component of the bicycle that the chain and pedals attach to for pedaling. The recalled models have printed ‘Ultegra’ or Dura Ace’ logos on the arm. The affected models are pre-July 2019 production and have the following two-letter production code on backside of the crank arm where the pedals are attached: KF, KG, KH, KI, KJ, KK, KL, LA, LB, LC, LD, LE, LF, LG, LH, LI, LJ, LK, LL, MA, MB, MC, MD, ME, MF, MG, MH, MI, MJ, MK, ML, NA, NB, NC, ND, NE, NF, NG, NH, NI, NJ, NK, NL, OA, OB, OC, OD, OE, OF, OG, OH, OI, OJ, OK, OL, PA, PB, PC, PD, PE, PF, PG, PH, PI, PJ, PK, PL, QA, QB, QC, QD, QE, QF, QG, QH, QI, QJ, QK, QL, RA, RB, RC, RD, RE, and RF.
Remedy:
Consumers should immediately stop using the cranksets manufactured before July 1, 2019, and contact an authorized Shimano dealer to schedule a free crankset inspection. Only consumers whose cranksets show signs of bonding separation or delamination during the inspection will be provided a free replacement crankset and installation.
Incidents/Injuries:
The firm has received 4,519 incidents of cranksets separating, and six reported injuries, including bone fractures, joint displacement and lacerations.
Sold At:
Bicycle stores nationwide from January 2012 through August 2023 for between $270 and $1,500.

Shimano announced an "inspection" recall on millions of their cranks sold from 2012-2023.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2023/Shimano-Recalls-Cranksets-for-Bicycles-Due-to-Crash-Hazard

Description:
This recall involves Shimano Ultegra FC-6800, Dura-Ace FC-9000, Ultegra FC-R8000, Dura-Ace FC-R9100 and FC-R9100P 11-Speed Bonded Hollowtech Road Cranksets manufactured prior to July 2019 sold individually and on bicycles sold by other manufacturers such as Trek and Specialized. A crankset is the component of the bicycle that the chain and pedals attach to for pedaling. The recalled models have printed ‘Ultegra’ or Dura Ace’ logos on the arm. The affected models are pre-July 2019 production and have the following two-letter production code on backside of the crank arm where the pedals are attached: KF, KG, KH, KI, KJ, KK, KL, LA, LB, LC, LD, LE, LF, LG, LH, LI, LJ, LK, LL, MA, MB, MC, MD, ME, MF, MG, MH, MI, MJ, MK, ML, NA, NB, NC, ND, NE, NF, NG, NH, NI, NJ, NK, NL, OA, OB, OC, OD, OE, OF, OG, OH, OI, OJ, OK, OL, PA, PB, PC, PD, PE, PF, PG, PH, PI, PJ, PK, PL, QA, QB, QC, QD, QE, QF, QG, QH, QI, QJ, QK, QL, RA, RB, RC, RD, RE, and RF.
Remedy:
Consumers should immediately stop using the cranksets manufactured before July 1, 2019, and contact an authorized Shimano dealer to schedule a free crankset inspection. Only consumers whose cranksets show signs of bonding separation or delamination during the inspection will be provided a free replacement crankset and installation.
Incidents/Injuries:
The firm has received 4,519 incidents of cranksets separating, and six reported injuries, including bone fractures, joint displacement and lacerations.
Sold At:
Bicycle stores nationwide from January 2012 through August 2023 for between $270 and $1,500.
My first reaction to this was "11 speed goes back to 2012?" Somehow that doesn't seem right.

I rented a bike and rode Coldwater Mountain in Alabama, a Silver Level Ride Center. I was there for a work trip and had wanted to ride that trail. My daughter was down there for college, but Covid screwed up all our travel plans and I never rode it while she was there. I'm glad I got it to work with this business trip - it was a great trail! Compared to Michigan trails, it most reminded me of the Marquette trails - rocky, elevation changes, some killer downhills. The trail kind of has two halves because there are two parking lots at the bottom on different sides of the mountain. I rode the Anniston half, hitting 13.25 miles. I guess if I end up back down there again, I'll ride the other half.

The only odd part was that I felt like I was riding through Shelob's lair - just a bazillion spider webs across the trail.

Funny - the video starts at the same bike shop I rented from and does show one of the stinking spiders.

I noticed something odd on my ride. I ride a hardtail always. The rental was a full suspension.

I just couldn't lift properly on dropoffs - I always try to give it the right amount of a pull so that both wheels land at the same time. I couldn't get it to lift - I kept diving off dropoffs onto my front wheel. Is this a known difference between hardtails and full suspension? Is it because of the squishiness of the bike absorbing my attempt to yank up the front end or something? I assume I would figure it out quickly, but I never dinked around to get it right - I just ended up with surprise dropoffs and screwed it up each time.

I noticed something odd on my ride. I ride a hardtail always. The rental was a full suspension.

I just couldn't lift properly on dropoffs - I always try to give it the right amount of a pull so that both wheels land at the same time. I couldn't get it to lift - I kept diving off dropoffs onto my front wheel. Is this a known difference between hardtails and full suspension? Is it because of the squishiness of the bike absorbing my attempt to yank up the front end or something? I assume I would figure it out quickly, but I never dinked around to get it right - I just ended up with surprise dropoffs and screwed it up each time.
I don’t really pull up when going off drops as I find it leads to my rear end bucking and going nose forward. I just shift my weight back and allow the bike to roll off the drop…. with speed of course.

I will say that when I ride my full suspension I have trouble with bunny hops and find that I almost have to push the bike down in its travel before I can get the bike to pop up properly, and I don’t experience any of this on my hardtail.

I really like the 1x drives but as a casual rider don't want to spend $700. can anyone tell from the specs if it would be easy to turn this into a 1x8 drive train? easy as in taking off chain ring and putting on a new one.

bike

I really like the 1x drives but as a casual rider don't want to spend $700. can anyone tell from the specs if it would be easy to turn this into a 1x8 drive train? easy as in taking off chain ring and putting on a new one.

bike
No reason that wouldn’t work.

bike
No reason that wouldn’t work.
True but how much is a new crank and gear set going to cost? $500 bike, $100-$200 for the parts? I don't know just playing devil's advocate.

bike
Just don't shift out of the middle ring. Heck, you could just take the front derailleur off.

bike
Just don't shift out of the middle ring. Heck, you could just take the front derailleur off.
yeah you're right. but I like how simple it is and want one.

bike
Do you already own this bike? If not, you can find a 1x for that same price. The issue is going to be gear range if you just use the middle chain ring the 12-32 cassette doesn't give much on the low end, but if you are just cruising around on pretty flat land you should be fine

This should be a bike finder thread. Find @Barry2 the best bike you can for $500. 1x, looks like light offroad. Currently an Acera rear derailleur, mechanical disc brakes.

This should be a bike finder thread. Find @Barry2 the best bike you can for $500. 1x, looks like light offroad. Currently an Acera rear derailleur, mechanical disc brakes.
moops I'm still looking. I'm in Canada the pricing is different. looking for Hybrid, rigid forks, 1x, rim brakes are fine. We now have snow so i was hoping to find off season prices.

A contender: Ozark Trail Ridge $400 at Walmart. Review.

Improvements over the baseline: 1x, front suspension (Suntour XCT)

Downgrades: Random name derailleur - review says it looks equivalent to Alivio. If so, that's a slight upgrade, but I'd be nervous about a no-name.

My front derailleur doesn't work so I've been riding in the middle ring. You sacrifice too much on both ends, I wouldn't recommend. The Canyon Roadlite was 1x and seemed nice. So easy to sit and climb steep hills but it was delivered with a dented frame so I sent it back. Hopefully they give me a refund. I won't be ordering another bike through the mail.

I wouldn't buy an inexpensive bike and then spend ~25%+ modifying it to 1x. If you are handy and can do your own work, then maybe it's OK. I also felt like the 1x was cross chaining a little bit at the low end. I think 2x might be better for me. Now that I have been riding a road bike, I do prefer that over the flat bar. I think the prices on bikes will continue to get better as we get into the winter. Everything I have read indicates that shops are still struggling with surpluses.

MTB - Deore components. Decent.

Below is what I'd go with, IMO. These guys get great reviews. $699 after email discount. There is a nice dropbar bike for $100 more.

Last edited:
thanks for all the input guys. I went to a shop and ordered a Trek fx1, the most basic hybrid they make $570. Sales guy believes it's plenty of bike for my usage. The only other bike I considered was a Norco indy on clearance for $700 , it only came in XL and felt big.

The bikes suggested here look awesome but way out of my range. the Grand canyon5 on their Canadian site is $1200.

Users who are viewing this thread