What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bicycle Guys! (1 Viewer)

In
Really want a gravel bike. Not sure why, just because.
New Bike Day!

Aaaand I got one. Went for the inaugural ride today (still recovering from an awful chest cold, so pretty short as I felt like keeling over the whole time). Nice ride. Feels a bit short because it's upright, so I may lower it down and get a longer stem. Fit is close, though. Build came in at 19.7lb without pedals, which is about a lb. less than a Salsa Warbird ($1800 more, to boot).
Still rocking the 2x? could shave off at least 1/2 pound by going 1x

Sweet looking ride though.
I like my cadence and the jumps with a 1x are too big. If I had waited 6 months I may have been able to go with the Classified hub and go 1x in the front (that hub will revolutionize cycling). As it is I wanted a Swiss Army Bike, which means 2x. Happy with that choice.

BTW, the crank is a GRX600 crank, so 46/30 (for some reason GRX810 is 48/31). I replaced the left crank with a 4iii PM 810 arm and dropped all but 25 grams off of a full 810 crank. That 600 left crank arm is a brick.
I hadn’t read or heard about that Classified hub until just now. Sounds sick. It’s kinda like a Rohloff without the weight and stuff?
Like that, yes. Internal shift hub that goes from 100% to 70% and is evidently seamless shifting through 1000W (which I'll never hit, for sure). I can see a 1x with something like a 46 front, 11-36 back and have everything I have with 2x.

It looks so good I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing it in the pros.

Finally got out on a decent ride with my new trek fuel ex. Loved it. Forgot to fully charge the sram axs rear derailleur battery and about 3/4 of the way on my last loop got that message on my car in that the battery was low. Not knowing how much longer it had I just picked a mid gear and used it the rest of the way.
What’s a car in this case?

Finally got out on a decent ride with my new trek fuel ex. Loved it. Forgot to fully charge the sram axs rear derailleur battery and about 3/4 of the way on my last loop got that message on my car in that the battery was low. Not knowing how much longer it had I just picked a mid gear and used it the rest of the way.
What’s a car in this case?
Autocorrect for garmin

showed up this spring.

showed up this spring.
Did they have to drill new holes to fit that chainkeeper on there? 62T :lmao:

ETA: That said I can see folks using it in Paris Roubaix. Big advantage to have a fixed chainline like that with the bike going over cobbles.

Last edited:
I need new pedals to replace the crappy original equipment ones on my mountain bike. Don't really know anything about bike parts. Is there a specific kind/brand that people love for mountain biking?

ETA; regular pedals, not clips.

I need new pedals to replace the crappy original equipment ones on my mountain bike. Don't really know anything about bike parts. Is there a specific kind/brand that people love for mountain biking?

I ride Crankbrothers Stamps. I have Stamp 1s on the hardtail, and Stamp 7s on the full suspension. The Stamp 1s require longer pins than what they come with new, and are frankly not very good out of the box. I would highly recommend the Stamp 7.

RaceFace Chesters get a lot of love as a good budget flat pedal, and I've also heard good things about OneUp's pedals.

I ride Crankbrothers Stamps. I have Stamp 1s on the hardtail, and Stamp 7s on the full suspension. The Stamp 1s require longer pins than what they come with new, and are frankly not very good out of the box. I would highly recommend the Stamp 7.

RaceFace Chesters get a lot of love as a good budget flat pedal, and I've also heard good things about OneUp's pedals.
Awesome. Thank you!

Awesome. Thank you!
The Crankbrothers are nice, but I go with the OneUps on all my bikes actually (gravel, mountain, fat). Big fan of them https://www.amazon.com/OneUp-Compon...refix=one+up+pedals,aps,103&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

My XC race is just a week and a half away. Time flies. I feel like I put in the effort to train for it, but am still not quite feeling prepared. My power output is up from where I was when I raced last year, but my weight is also up. I didn't lose nearly as much weight as I expected to during this process. Oh well. I will probably find another race during summer to register for so that it keeps me motivated to train.

I am going on a bikepacking trip this weekend, it has more climbing than I am prepared for, but I was fully prepared to embrace the suck. I just looked at the weather... rain and thunderstorms all day on the climbingist day of the trip. Ugh. Maybe I will get lucky and fall off a cliff.

I am going on a bikepacking trip this weekend, it has more climbing than I am prepared for, but I was fully prepared to embrace the suck. I just looked at the weather... rain and thunderstorms all day on the climbingist day of the trip. Ugh. Maybe I will get lucky and fall off a cliff.
Post pics of your setup and stuff you're taking. It would be way cool to see that.

Post pics of your setup and stuff you're taking. It would be way cool to see that.
Yea. I always love to see other setups.

I am nearing completion of mapping a family bikepacking route for this summer. ~100'ish miles over 3 days. Taking the wife and my 9 and 11 year old boys. It's likely 60% dirt/gravel and 40% paved off road trails, so I think they can handle it. Won't need to carry much food and water for it takes us through several towns

That’s a long way for a 9 year old. My 7 year old tops out around 5-6 mountain bike miles.
Yea, we did a 60 mile trip 2 years ago over 3 days and they hated me for it. But we do like 4/5 miles at a time and then stop and get ice cream or something.. I may have to make this one a 4 day or reduce the mileage. Will get them out for some 5 mile rides and see how they are feeling.

Also, the 11 year old will be 12 by the time we go and the 9 year old will almost be 10

That’s a long way for a 9 year old. My 7 year old tops out around 5-6 mountain bike miles.
Yea, we did a 60 mile trip 2 years ago over 3 days and they hated me for it. But we do like 4/5 miles at a time and then stop and get ice cream or something.. I may have to make this one a 4 day or reduce the mileage. Will get them out for some 5 mile rides and see how they are feeling.

Also, the 11 year old will be 12 by the time we go and the 9 year old will almost be 10
Me, the wife, and our 7 year old will be doing a “gralley cat” ride next weekend. 20ish miles over gravel with a known start and finish line - and ~8-10 “checkpoints” that we can hit in any order we want in between them. Over gravel. Hoping the 7 year olds spirits stay high the whole time, though I’ll be pulling him on a “tag bike” (he’ll be connected to my bikes seat tube).

When my son was 9 we did a 36 mile ride together and while he's athletic, he's not much of a cyclist. Depending on the elevation gain, I think 100 miles over 3 days is entirely doable, especially if broken up into smaller segments with pit stops.

FULL BENEFIT

I went out for the first ride of the season earlier this week, and crashed in the new loose gravel in the parking lot. Rashed up my knee pretty badly... I felt like an idiot. I still rode, and rode again tonight, but I think I'm going to be splitting the scab every time I ride for a while here. It was a beautiful night riding with my son in 75 degree weather.

Supposed to snow Monday... dammit. I'm still leaving my new bike on the trainer for now and riding my old bike outside, it's creakier than I remembered.

It rained *a lot* on day one and we wound up waiting it out, leaving late, and cutting about 16 miles and 2k' of climbing off the planned route. Day 2 was sunshine, lollipops, an rainbows. Here is a pic of my setup the details should be in the photo caption.

It rained *a lot* on day one and we wound up waiting it out, leaving late, and cutting about 16 miles and 2k' of climbing off the planned route. Day 2 was sunshine, lollipops, an rainbows. Here is a pic of my setup the details should be in the photo caption.
Very cool. I'd love to try bikepacking, but I don't think the wife would be too pleased with needing to buy another bike.

How you liking that Poseidon drop bar? Been looking at one of those for my wife (although maybe the flat bar version).

Like how pronounced the bottle of whiskey is in that pic

Very cool. I'd love to try bikepacking, but I don't think the wife would be too pleased with needing to buy another bike.
I have taken bikepacking trips with a road bike, a gravel bike, and a mountain bike. Depending on route chosen, you can make just about any bike work with the right gear

So four semi local high school kids have entered themselves as “Team USA” in the upcoming quad tandem world championships. Yes - four people on one very long bike. They’ve never been on a quad tandem before and don’t plan to be on one until arriving in Canada at the event.

So four semi local high school kids have entered themselves as “Team USA” in the upcoming quad tandem world championships. Yes - four people on one very long bike. They’ve never been on a quad tandem before and don’t plan to be on one until arriving in Canada at the event.
My last XC race they started the tandems before the rest of the field for some bizarre reason and I got stuck behind one on a climb, and had to stop and get off my bike as they practically wiped me out as they tried to navigate a turn. Couldn't imagine a quad tandem unless the race is all on pavement or gravel.

For anyone too cheap or lazy to commit to a bike fitting, I can recommend MyVeloFit. You send a video of your cycling set-up. They reply back in minutes with an analysis with all of your angles at bottom of stroke, mid-stroke etc. They also recommend adjustments. You do the adjustments and then send a new video. Repeat as necessary.

I did the Enthusiast package for $35. My seat post height was way off before this. Made a big difference in power and comfort.

How you liking that Poseidon drop bar? Been looking at one of those for my wife (although maybe the flat bar version).

Like how pronounced the bottle of whiskey is in that pic
My brother has a Poseidon X flat bar, and I think I would recommend going with drops. I tried to get him to go with the Redwood w/ drops (which is what I think Jaysus has), but he was nervous about drop bars and wanted to save a few bucks. The Redwood seems like a really versatile bike, but Poseidon definitely cheaps out in a few areas.

The contact points are total garbage IMHO, but there may be some people that like them as these are of course personal preference. The brakes are really weak and leave much to be desired and if I were putting serious mileage on the bike I would look to upgrade them. For casually riding around town they're fine. Lastly I thought the tires felt really sluggish for what they were. My brother put a set of WTB Byways on, which I know are more road-oriented and they are great.... although I would have saved my money and ridden the stock tires into the ground.

The drivetrain on the bike is awesome, and it rides very well. Even though I may seem overly harsh in my critique, I still think it presents a great value.

My last XC race they started the tandems before the rest of the field for some bizarre reason and I got stuck behind one on a climb, and had to stop and get off my bike as they practically wiped me out as they tried to navigate a turn. Couldn't imagine a quad tandem unless the race is all on pavement or gravel.
All pavement, over the rolling terrain of western Canada.

For anyone too cheap or lazy to commit to a bike fitting, I can recommend MyVeloFit. You send a video of your cycling set-up. They reply back in minutes with an analysis with all of your angles at bottom of stroke, mid-stroke etc. They also recommend adjustments. You do the adjustments and then send a new video. Repeat as necessary.

I did the Enthusiast package for $35. My seat post height was way off before this. Made a big difference in power and comfort.
Seat post too short before?

Seat post too short before?
Yep, I thought it was good using an estimate via 109% rule, but it was too low.

My brother has a Poseidon X flat bar, and I think I would recommend going with drops. I tried to get him to go with the Redwood w/ drops (which is what I think Jaysus has), but he was nervous about drop bars and wanted to save a few bucks. The Redwood seems like a really versatile bike, but Poseidon definitely cheaps out in a few areas.

The contact points are total garbage IMHO, but there may be some people that like them as these are of course personal preference. The brakes are really weak and leave much to be desired and if I were putting serious mileage on the bike I would look to upgrade them. For casually riding around town they're fine. Lastly I thought the tires felt really sluggish for what they were. My brother put a set of WTB Byways on, which I know are more road-oriented and they are great.... although I would have saved my money and ridden the stock tires into the ground.

The drivetrain on the bike is awesome, and it rides very well. Even though I may seem overly harsh in my critique, I still think it presents a great value.
Yea, I have heard that the stock wheelset is heavy and sluggish. Why would you recommend the drop bar over the flat bar? And yea, am looking at the Redwood over the X

Yea, I have heard that the stock wheelset is heavy and sluggish. Why would you recommend the drop bar over the flat bar? And yea, am looking at the Redwood over the X
I thought the riding position with the flat bars felt a bit off, and I suspect the drop bars would remedy it…. and of course they give extra hand positions for longer days in the saddle.

Interesting. I never considered b/c of the price point, seemed like a hassle and my rides are typically in the 20-30 mile range on road (didn't think it was worth it for that distance) but this sounds appealing.

So this weekend was my XC MTB race. Friday I pre-rode the course with a couple buddies and was cramping up within the first few miles. I didn’t want to let them down by abandoning the ride so I continued on through the pain and it was miserable. I questioned all of the training I put in, and yesterday my hamstrings felt like I had pulled both of them.

I left the festival to go watch my son play baseball because our LL does a game under the lights on the big diamond for the majors teams once per year and he has been waiting for this moment since t-ball. I was 50/50 whether I would return to race due to the state of my hammys. In the shower this morning I told myself there is 75% chance I will regret racing, but a 100% chance I would regret not doing it… so the decision was made. Race on!

I did everything I could do to hydrate. Drank water, Gatorade, nuun, energy chews, etc. My bike was acting up on the pre-ride as well with constant creaking. I managed to get Calvin from Park Took to personally tune my bike up before the race at the festival, which was pretty cool.

At the starting line I lined up at the very back of the pack for my age group because I wasn’t feeling great. I took it pretty slow so that I didn’t blow myself up, but after 10 miles I told myself that I was feeling pretty good. I was hanging with people on the climbs and absolutely tearing them apart on the descents. By 20 miles I was still feeling pretty good so I decided I would try to push my pace for the final 10 miles. I’m not sure if it was a good or a bad idea. I definitely passed a bunch of people, but I also blew myself up before the final climb. The ride was advertised as 25 miles and 3,000 ft of elevation gain, but it ended up being 29 miles and 3,700 feet of elevation gain (all of our Stravas were wildly different so we averaged them)

I ended up 573/691 overall for the men, but I’m not sure how I fared in my age group. My neighbor who is a REALLY fast rider came in 372, so that puts things in perspective. Overall I’m proud of my effort, feel a major sense of accomplishment, and will seek another race to give me the motivation to continue with my fitness goals

I'm a bike noob. Recently picked up a Cannondale Synapse 105. Happy with it except the mechanical disc brakes. They're bad enough that I feel unsafe. The guys at the bike shop told me I needed to bed them in with some hard brakes. Tried it. The rear brake has gotten marginally better but the front is about the same. I have to crank on the lever to the point my fingers are sore. If someone walks in front of me or opens a car door I'm going to really smash them. Is this just how they are?

I'm a bike noob. Recently picked up a Cannondale Synapse 105. Happy with it except the mechanical disc brakes. They're bad enough that I feel unsafe. The guys at the bike shop told me I needed to bed them in with some hard brakes. Tried it. The rear brake has gotten marginally better but the front is about the same. I have to crank on the lever to the point my fingers are sore. If someone walks in front of me or opens a car door I'm going to really smash them. Is this just how they are?

No. Decent disc brakes should provide strong stopping power, much better than traditional brake pad - wheel rim brakes.

I would not ride in the city streets until fixed and would get a new bike shop. No decent shop would send you out into traffic with crappy brakes. Also, I've had several sets of disc brakes and never had any breaking-in period.

No. Decent disc brakes should provide strong stopping power, much better than traditional brake pad - wheel rim brakes.

I would not ride in the city streets until fixed and would get a new bike shop. No decent shop would send you out into traffic with crappy brakes. Also, I've had several sets of disc brakes and never had any breaking-in period.
What brakes are they? Looks like they might be TRP Spyres? If so, those are good ones

I have three bikes, all disc brakes, all will send you over the bars if you clamp down as you are describing. I'd take it to a different shop as suggested, tell them what's going on and have them take a spin for themselves.

What brakes are they? Looks like they might be TRP Spyres? If so, those are good ones
Yeah, those are the ones. I heard these were the good ones so was pretty surprised.

Yeah, those are the ones. I heard these were the good ones so was pretty surprised.
Yea, surprised too. I have a set of those on my gravel bike and I really like them

I have three bikes, all disc brakes, all will send you over the bars if you clamp down as you are describing. I'd take it to a different shop as suggested, tell them what's going on and have them take a spin for themselves.

Alternatively, you could just go for a ride in rush hour traffic and maybe end up with the Bike Shop's insurer paying for your kids' college.

Dead serious - the most important part of the bike is the front brake. If that isn't working you shouldn't be riding it. Either it's set too open so you have to squeeze all the way down before it engages or something in the cabling is hosed up.

I’ll never go back after using disc brakes (either mechanical or hydraulic). Much more stopping power, and pretty easy to work on.
I have one of each and I don't find discs to be overwhelmingly better, particularly for road. Hyro discs modulate better, for sure, and I can see why those are popular on gravel and MTB. For road I'm perfectly happy with my rim brakes.

Dead serious - the most important part of the bike is the front brake. If that isn't working you shouldn't be riding it. Either it's set too open so you have to squeeze all the way down before it engages or something in the cabling is hosed up.

I’ll never go back after using disc brakes (either mechanical or hydraulic). Much more stopping power, and pretty easy to work on.
I have one of each and I don't find discs to be overwhelmingly better, particularly for road. Hyro discs modulate better, for sure, and I can see why those are popular on gravel and MTB. For road I'm perfectly happy with my rim brakes.
I only mtb or gravel these days. Well, I zwift, but brakes aren’t important there.

Do the brakes feel like they engage right when you pull the levers, or do you need to pull the levers all the way to the bars? Bedding in the brakes is certainly a thing, but it's not going to change your brakes from being unable to safely stop to being amazing.

I'm guessing they are not adjusted properly, whether it be cable tension or alignment.

My rear brake (mechanical disc) sucks hard... I only use it to slow me down. If I need to stop I use the front one - which is not great, but gets the job done. Next bike is going to have hydraulic disc brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread