What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** Washington, DC thread (2 Viewers)

Don't know if we have Go-Go fans in here but the "Elvis of Washington DC" has pneumonia. I'll have some good thoughts for Chuck's recovery :thumbup: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/chuck-brown-mystery-solved-godfather-of-go-go-has-pneumonia/2012/05/07/gIQAD1b48T_story.html
One of the titans of DC music. Also responsible for one of the more sampled tracks in old school hip hop. My mother at 73 recovered from pneumonia recently; hopefully he can, too.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XNr06zoKYg

Stringer: “I hate that go-go ####.”

DC soldier: “That’s cuz you never heard it live. I know a club in Oxon Hill? That’ll wreck y’all.”

Guess you know what happens to those who dis go-go now, dontcha, String?

Any projects between 9:30 and the U Street station? I haven't been to this building since Minor Threat and Government Issue in 9th grade.

Any projects between 9:30 and the U Street station? I haven't been to this building since Minor Threat and Government Issue in 9th grade.
You'll be fine. Its not like your getting off at Tenleytown, but it's not bad at all.
Okay. I don't plan on being too sober when I leave the place, which is why I'm inclined to take the train. Looks like the last U Street train at 11:52 gets to Gallery Place in time to catch the last Red Line train.

Is today the best Washington sports day since the Redskins last Super Bowl in January 1992?

Epic Capitals win last night

Drafting RG III tonight

Nationals with best record in baseball

Even Lez Boulez have won 5 straight, without sacrificing their #2 spot in the draft lottery

I think it might be. Which - while cool - also serves to underscore how crappy the last 20 years have been for DC.
In 2005, I was saying:The Caps have the best young player in the game.

Joe Gibbs is back and has the team headed in the right direction.

The Wizards have a good young group, a rising star (Arenas), and the Wizards actually made the playoffs (and won their first-round series).

Baseball is back in DC.
Status as of mid-April 2010:Caps, fresh off their first President's Cup, take a 3-1 series lead against the 8 seed Canadiens

Redskins and new hire Shanahan trade for Donovan McNabb

Wizards win the lottery and the right to draft John Wall

Nats are over .500 and fans are counting down the days until Strasburg's big league debut

Hard to get too excited.
Bryce Harper going to make major league debut Saturday at Dodger Stadium....
Did you guys enjoy "reality check weekend"?How's this for depressing:

Washington DC is one of only six cities that have not been represented in the final four of any of the big 4 sports (NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB), since the Caps’ last appearance in 1998.

The only other cities in North American can boast such an unimpressive track record are: Cincinnati, Columbus, Kansas City, Memphis, and Winnipeg. Given the gap in Winnipeg’s franchise, the relative newness of franchises in Memphis and Columbus, and the fact that Washington is the only one of these cities that is represented in all 4 sports, it’s easy to identify DC as the most unsuccessful sports city since 1998.
Link

Map of DC memorials.
Pretty cool link. I had no idea DC had a James Buchanan memorial.
Marked off another site on my "I've lived in the DC area my whole life, but I've never been to..." list. Stopped by Meridian Hill Park over the weekend, site of the world famous James Buchanan statue. There are also statues of Joan of Arc and Dante. What a great city park. A lot of DC's parks can be pretty meh, but I really liked this one.

Washington Post website has posted a bunch of links to Chuck Brown articles from the past. Some of them are pretty long but well worth a read.http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/arts-post/post/chuck-brown-dies-remembering-the-godfather-of-go-go-through-the-post-archives/2012/05/16/gIQAmefZUU_blog.html

This article was originally published October 5, 1984.A battered, white step-truck rattled to a stop near the corner of Fourth Street and Martin Luthur King Jr. Avenue in Southeast Washington. For a moment it sat quietly in the noon sun as newly fallen leaves crackled in their race with a breeze.Then, suddenly there was a rude blast of sound:"Get your back up off the wall, dance, come on!" a recorded voice shouted in a syncopated rhythm that bolted from a storm of multi-percussion beats, synthesized beeps, explosions and quick-jabbing R&B horn lines.The music blared from tinny speakers, blanketing the area's littered streets, its neat and not-so-neat little houses and storefront businesses. In the process, hundreds of students from nearby Ballou Senior High School were drawn to the step-truck that sells cookies, sodas and ice-cream from a window behind bars. Some danced, doing the "Happy Feet," to the beat. Many just nodded in time as they munched on 45-cent chili dogs and sipped soda."Michael Jackson is all right, but this is the best," said Marcus Johnson, 16, who was within earshot of a parked car that, too, was loud with the same type of music pouring from its cassette tape deck: "I feel like bustin' loose, bustin' loose . . . "The music seems to be everywhere: sang, played and carried in oversized, shoulder-mounted tape players and radios in every quadrant of the nation's capital. The music, with its broken melody lines and chants urging one to "rock your butt, y'all," can be heard at metro stops, city parks and playgrounds where school girls jump rope to its beat.It's "go-go" music, and it is the District's own -- rough, aggressive, urban and black.

Anyone ever take Amtrak from Alexandria? How's the parking? I'm looking at catching a train from there either on a Thursday afternoon or Friday morning. If I left Thursday, I'd have the option of catching the train in Woodbridge. Or, if I left Friday, I could catch it at Quantico.

I've only used Union Station for Amtrak. I don't want to get to one of these stations and not have a place to park. Another option is that both Springfield and Huntington have some designated long-term parking spaces and I could just Metro a couple stops to Alexandria.

Anyone ever take Amtrak from Alexandria? How's the parking? I'm looking at catching a train from there either on a Thursday afternoon or Friday morning. If I left Thursday, I'd have the option of catching the train in Woodbridge. Or, if I left Friday, I could catch it at Quantico.I've only used Union Station for Amtrak. I don't want to get to one of these stations and not have a place to park. Another option is that both Springfield and Huntington have some designated long-term parking spaces and I could just Metro a couple stops to Alexandria.
I live a couple blocks from the Amtrak station and there's a lot, but it's pretty small. No idea if it's usually parked up or not though. The Amtrak station is literally right next to Metro though so I think parking further out and taking Metro to the station is a pretty good bet anyhow.If you were leaving Friday early evening or later you might also be able to find street parking nearby where you could leave it over the weekend. But you'd need to move it by 9:00 or 10:00 Monday morning.

Anyone ever take Amtrak from Alexandria? How's the parking? I'm looking at catching a train from there either on a Thursday afternoon or Friday morning. If I left Thursday, I'd have the option of catching the train in Woodbridge. Or, if I left Friday, I could catch it at Quantico.I've only used Union Station for Amtrak. I don't want to get to one of these stations and not have a place to park. Another option is that both Springfield and Huntington have some designated long-term parking spaces and I could just Metro a couple stops to Alexandria.
I live a couple blocks from the Amtrak station and there's a lot, but it's pretty small. No idea if it's usually parked up or not though. The Amtrak station is literally right next to Metro though so I think parking further out and taking Metro to the station is a pretty good bet anyhow.If you were leaving Friday early evening or later you might also be able to find street parking nearby where you could leave it over the weekend. But you'd need to move it by 9:00 or 10:00 Monday morning.
Yeah, this. Only a small lot. There are various parking garages around there too with all of the hotels across the street from the Metro, but paying a lot for that.

Anybody know of any jobs? I'm on the verge of bartending again, and I REALLY don't want to bartend again. I have a college degree, no criminal record, and I'm a single digit handicap. Help a brother out and the first bushel and all drinks are on me. :banned:

Anybody know of any jobs? I'm on the verge of bartending again, and I REALLY don't want to bartend again. I have a college degree, no criminal record, and I'm a single digit handicap. Help a brother out and the first bushel and all drinks are on me. :banned:
get into ITtons of computer jobs in this areaand ill take you up on that bushell and beer

I'm a guy with a lot of free time and a small amount of disposable income who loves to golf but can't break 100. Maybe something can be arranged.Also, what kind of stuff are you looking for? Have you done the USAJobs thing?

I'm a guy with a lot of free time and a small amount of disposable income who loves to golf but can't break 100. Maybe something can be arranged.Also, what kind of stuff are you looking for? Have you done the USAJobs thing?
I'd definitely be up for teeing it up some time. Although, my disposable income is nil at the moment.Honestly, I'm pretty flexible about what I'll do. The better question is what haven't I been looking for. My last real world job was in benefits with ING. We managed the health and welfare benefits for Citi. We all got laid off in '09 when Citi pulled their business to go with a one-stop shop for all of their benefits and ING decided to eliminate H&W services entirely. Ideally, I'd like to get into IT, but I've been looking at sales, ops/logistics, some finance, and extreme alpaca farming. My focus has broadened considerably since I got here a couple months ago. I'm two non-responses away from going south and slinging cashews at a beach market in Costa Rica.

ETA: I'm not familiar with USAJobs, but will check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd definitely be up for teeing it up some time. Although, my disposable income is nil at the moment.Honestly, I'm pretty flexible about what I'll do. The better question is what haven't I been looking for. My last real world job was in benefits with ING. We managed the health and welfare benefits for Citi. We all got laid off in '09 when Citi pulled their business to go with a one-stop shop for all of their benefits and ING decided to eliminate H&W services entirely. Ideally, I'd like to get into IT, but I've been looking at sales, ops/logistics, some finance, and extreme alpaca farming. My focus has broadened considerably since I got here a couple months ago. I'm two non-responses away from going south and slinging cashews at a beach market in Costa Rica.

ETA: I'm not familiar with USAJobs, but will check it out.
USAJobs.gov is the federal government jobs clearinghouse, its a useful site for finding a ton of openings in one place. It looks like you've got some background that might play well at an agency- if not a "career" than maybe at least a job.

anything going on for the 4th? or is everything going to be that weekend
The Mall? That's always on the 4th. It's a zoo down there, but it's a cool thing to do once.
I've done The Mall almost every year the past 15 years. I enjoy being there. But, Virginia keeps taking more and more parking options away each year. It used to pretty easy to park on the side of the GW Parkway or 110 and walk across the Memorial Bridge. They put a complete stop to that last year. Not sure what I will do this year.

BBQ isn't DC's specialty. Are they all local places?
Based on the site, it looked like a number of them were local, though they billed it as a "national" competition. I guess part of the reason I was asking was because was not sure how good the BBQ was. Guess I'll have to research.

Any recommendations for a kid-friendly restaurant for dinner downtown? My nieces (ages 4 and 0.25) are coming into town later this week, and not having kids myself, my downtown knowledge is mostly just bars or romance/business-type establishments, and not sure what place may cater to kids. I work in the Metro Center area, so recommendations within walking distance are all the better.

Any recommendations for a kid-friendly restaurant for dinner downtown? My nieces (ages 4 and 0.25) are coming into town later this week, and not having kids myself, my downtown knowledge is mostly just bars or romance/business-type establishments, and not sure what place may cater to kids. I work in the Metro Center area, so recommendations within walking distance are all the better.
I'f they have a kid's menu online, I'd say there is nothing to worry about. Aside from that, focus on the places that tend to be a little louder. Off the top of my head, Matchbox would work. I don't know if they have a kid's menu or not, but sliders or pizza would be a safe option for a 4 year old. I'd guess a lot of stuff near Verizon will work. My BIL manages the Austin Grill on E and I guarantee they'd kid friendly. But, I really don't like the food, so it's a trade off.Don't worry about it too much. Just avoid fancy places with quiet dining rooms and places that don't have some safe food choices that all kids like.

I'f they have a kid's menu online, I'd say there is nothing to worry about. Aside from that, focus on the places that tend to be a little louder. Off the top of my head, Matchbox would work. I don't know if they have a kid's menu or not, but sliders or pizza would be a safe option for a 4 year old. I'd guess a lot of stuff near Verizon will work. My BIL manages the Austin Grill on E and I guarantee they'd kid friendly. But, I really don't like the food, so it's a trade off.Don't worry about it too much. Just avoid fancy places with quiet dining rooms and places that don't have some safe food choices that all kids like.
Thanks. Gallery Place is a good idea; probably a lot of places around there that cater more to kids due to all of the games there.

Hill Country is very family friendly. and the food is GREAT!!!!! they even have some family combo plates that may work well. plus sides like mac and cheese and such that the kids will love.http://www.hillcountrywdc.com/

Hill Country is very family friendly. and the food is GREAT!!!!! they even have some family combo plates that may work well. plus sides like mac and cheese and such that the kids will love.http://www.hillcountrywdc.com/
I didn't ask, but thanks for this. I'll be on my own sight seeing with the kids tomorrow while the wife is at a conference.

I didn't ask, but thanks for this. I'll be on my own sight seeing with the kids tomorrow while the wife is at a conference.
definitely swing by. and make sure you get the moist brisket and the jalepeno cheese sausage. Thank me later!!!

Users who are viewing this thread