What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Directv NFL Ticket.... (4 Viewers)

I just got off the phone with DirecTV. Let me fully disclose that I did not threaten to cancel my service or ask for the retention center. I simply spoke with a customer service rep and asked him how long I have been a customer. I first subscribed in 1999 and I have been a loyal Sunday Ticket and Extra Innings buyer for all those years.

I cited my loyalty and the revenue I afford DirecTV each year and told Daniel that I think the free Sunday Ticket for new subscribers is a slap in the face to loyal customers like me. I also cited my current unemployed status and genuine need to lower my bills.

The rep told me that I received free Sunday Ticket when I first joined and that I have enjoyed certain deals throughout the years. He was referring to the Early Bird pricing on the renewal for Sunday Ticket and Extra Innings each new season. I told him that the Early Bird discounts were very minimal at roughly $20 and that I need to lower my bills more dramatically. I suggested that there should be some type of discount for loyal customers like me.

The result of my inquiry is that I will receive $10 off my monthly bill for the next 12-months. So, I will save $120 in the next year. Basically, I should pay the Early Bird price of $323 for Sunday Ticket. With the discount, I will pay $203 for Sunday Ticket, but the savings will be spread over 12-months.

I am happy with this discount. It's the first time I ever tried to get a discount. Believe me, with my bad luck, if I would have threatened to cancel my service in an attempt to receive free Sunday Ticket or a deeper discount, I would be staring at a blank TV screen right now.

I'll take the $120 discount on Sunday Ticket spread over 12-months.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got off the phone with DirecTV. Let me fully disclose that I did not threaten to cancel my service or ask for the retention center. I simply spoke with a customer service rep and asked him how long I have been a customer. I first subscribed in 1999 and I have been a loyal Sunday Ticket and Extra Innings buyer for all those years. I cited my loyalty and the revenue I afford DirecTV each year and told Daniel that I think the free Sunday Ticket for new subscribers is a slap in the face to loyal customers like me. I also cited my current unemployed status and genuine need to lower my bills.The rep told me that I received free Sunday Ticket when I first joined and that I have enjoyed certain deals throughout the years. He was referring to the Early Bird pricing on the renewal for Sunday Ticket and Extra Innings each new season. I told him that the Early Bird discounts were very minimal at roughly $20 and that I need to lower my bills more dramatically. I suggested that there should be some type of discount for loyal customers like me.The result of my inquiry is that I will receive $10 off my monthly bill for the next 12-months. So, I will save $120 in the next year. Basically, I should pay the Early Bird price of $323 for Sunday Ticket. With the discount, I will pay $203 for Sunday Ticket, but the savings will be spread over 12-months.I am happy with this discount. It's the first time I ever tried to get a discount. Believe me, with my bad luck, if I would have threatened to cancel my service in an attempt to receive free Sunday Ticket or a deeper discount, I would be staring at a blank TV screen right now.I'll take the $120 discount on Sunday Ticket spread over 12-months.
that still doesnt seem like enough or a lot

I just signed up and my reception goes out every time it rains. Seriously. The customer service folks told me to reboot the receiver every time it goes out. Can you imagine telling your friends "Sorry, you can't come over to watch the games as planned because it's raining out."

I just got off the phone with DirecTV. Let me fully disclose that I did not threaten to cancel my service or ask for the retention center. I simply spoke with a customer service rep and asked him how long I have been a customer. I first subscribed in 1999 and I have been a loyal Sunday Ticket and Extra Innings buyer for all those years. I cited my loyalty and the revenue I afford DirecTV each year and told Daniel that I think the free Sunday Ticket for new subscribers is a slap in the face to loyal customers like me. I also cited my current unemployed status and genuine need to lower my bills.The rep told me that I received free Sunday Ticket when I first joined and that I have enjoyed certain deals throughout the years. He was referring to the Early Bird pricing on the renewal for Sunday Ticket and Extra Innings each new season. I told him that the Early Bird discounts were very minimal at roughly $20 and that I need to lower my bills more dramatically. I suggested that there should be some type of discount for loyal customers like me.The result of my inquiry is that I will receive $10 off my monthly bill for the next 12-months. So, I will save $120 in the next year. Basically, I should pay the Early Bird price of $323 for Sunday Ticket. With the discount, I will pay $203 for Sunday Ticket, but the savings will be spread over 12-months.I am happy with this discount. It's the first time I ever tried to get a discount. Believe me, with my bad luck, if I would have threatened to cancel my service in an attempt to receive free Sunday Ticket or a deeper discount, I would be staring at a blank TV screen right now.I'll take the $120 discount on Sunday Ticket spread over 12-months.
Well, like I said, I don't have the stones to sell the threat of canceling my service. Again, with my luck, I would be the one chosen to be made an example of by DirecTV in their attempt to quell the onslaught of customers trying to receive discounts. I guess the 12-month discount is their way of locking me in for another year, but I am not going anywhere and I like DirecTV. I have had no thoughts of switching providers.

:unsure: call back meng

Got the ticket for $150 plus 6 months of HBO free.

Well, like I said, I don't have the stones to sell the threat of canceling my service. Again, with my luck, I would be the one chosen to be made an example of by DirecTV in their attempt to quell the onslaught of customers trying to receive discounts. I guess the 12-month discount is their way of locking me in for another year, but I am not going anywhere and I like DirecTV. I have had no thoughts of switching providers.
:eek: Don't be such a wuss. If you want I'll call for you and we can split the difference.

:eek: Don't be such a wuss. If you want I'll call for you and we can split the difference.
And here I am all proud of myself because I never haggled for anything before and I got a 37% discount.

they won't really call your bluff.

you just say cancel service at the prompt to get to the retention department. when you get someone on the phone, say your bill is too high and you are wondering what they can do to help lower the cost for you. if they don't offer you much, you can say you'll look into other options and then call back if you decide to cancel.

Best thread ever!

I called using the script from page 3 of this thread and they gave me $300 worth of credits on my annual bill then gave me ST for 50% off, so I got it for free and then some. Aaron's right, they won't call your bluff, you just have to tell them you'll look into it and call them back when you're ready to move ahead with cancelling service.

It's not like you're going to call and tell them you're thinking about switching and they're going to instantly say "ok, BOOM, you're gone *presses magic button and hangs up*".At the absolute worst if they won't budge much just tell them you'll think about it and call back later.

they won't really call your bluff.you just say cancel service at the prompt to get to the retention department. when you get someone on the phone, say your bill is too high and you are wondering what they can do to help lower the cost for you. if they don't offer you much, you can say you'll look into other options and then call back if you decide to cancel.
Exactly. It's not like they're going to say "OKAY!" and cut your service off. If for some reason you get someone who is apathetic and is willing to cancel you just explain that you need a couple weeks to get Dish Installed and will be back in touch at the end of the billing cycle. :shrug:

they won't really call your bluff.you just say cancel service at the prompt to get to the retention department. when you get someone on the phone, say your bill is too high and you are wondering what they can do to help lower the cost for you. if they don't offer you much, you can say you'll look into other options and then call back if you decide to cancel.
Exactly. It's not like they're going to say "OKAY!" and cut your service off. If for some reason you get someone who is apathetic and is willing to cancel you just explain that you need a couple weeks to get Dish Installed and will be back in touch at the end of the billing cycle. :shrug:
:goodposting: No offense to OP but I'm shocked at your level of concern. You must hate buying a car and the dreaded farmer's market. :pokey:

:goodposting: No offense to OP but I'm shocked at your level of concern. You must hate buying a car and the dreaded farmer's market. :pokey:
Not really trying to be a smart ###, but if OP balks at negotiating w/ DTV, how does he handle fantasy football trades?

Not happy here.

7 yrs. customer with an average bill of 100 mo . Their best offer was 20. off the ticket's 6 installments . nfl ticket would have cost me $200 ; I'm under contract till Jan.

Told them to keep it , I will be moving on after my contract expires.

Not happy here. 7 yrs. customer with an average bill of 100 mo . Their best offer was 20. off the ticket's 6 installments . nfl ticket would have cost me $200 ; I'm under contract till Jan. Told them to keep it , I will be moving on after my contract expires.
Don't get angry, just call as many times until youre happy with the deal. It works, just keep calling.

Called and actually cancelled today. Set a cancel date of this Thursday.

Called an hour later to "push back" the cancellation date ti end of the billing cycle. Again stated moving to dish for the cheaper Red Zone. Rep offered credits but I just flatly stated what deal can you give me for ST.

I'm already getting $27/mo off for 6 months. Rep eventually offered it for $150. Works for me and accepted. I can always call back again to lower it more if desired

Not happy here. 7 yrs. customer with an average bill of 100 mo . Their best offer was 20. off the ticket's 6 installments . nfl ticket would have cost me $200 ; I'm under contract till Jan. Told them to keep it , I will be moving on after my contract expires.
After looking over the Dish site, it seems to be a much better deal, less the ticket of course. But if I can get the redzone & more channels for less loot , seems like a pretty good option. They are offering 12 mo. of some pretty nice discounts also.Any Dish horror stories out there ?

After looking over the Dish site, it seems to be a much better deal, less the ticket of course. But if I can get the redzone & more channels for less loot , seems like a pretty good option. They are offering 12 mo. of some pretty nice discounts also.Any Dish horror stories out there ?
I am looking for more opinions of Dish Network as well. I only know one "friend of a friend" that has it (the 200+ channel package) and loves it.......I have had Direct TV since 2002 and originally got it for the ticket. Cancelled ticket 3 years ago and never looked back, and I am just tired of the other channels I have re-running the same crap or having infomercials all the time...............

DirecTV subscriber for probably close to a decade. Had the Sunday Ticket for probably the last 5 or 6 years. Love it. Would not live without it. Personally I think the RZ channel is a pale comparison. In any event, I ordered the ESPN college game plan 2 years ago, but unfortunately I am rarely home on Saturdays (that damn work thing once again interfering with the enjoyment of life--LOL), so I just called up to cancel it before it automatically renewed. I am not the type who hondles on a price. If I have already agreed to pay a certain price, then I pay that price.

With that in mind, while I was cancelling the college game plan package, I asked about "anything you can do on the Sunday Ticket for a long-time subscriber?" I did NOT threaten to cancel the Sunday Ticket, nor did I have any intentions of calling back over and over to get a "better deal." In any event, they immediately offered me the $20 off per month (6 months x $20 = $120 savings). So, even if you don't want to go through the hassles of threatening to leave, it is seemingly a no-brainer to call up and get the $120 savings.

Is anyone here getting Sunday Ticket but not planning on getting Sunday Ticket "To Go?"

I no longer have DirecTV and NEED access to all of the games!!

I will give $100 to use Sunday Ticket "To Go" which costs $50 for the year, so that's $50 off of your subscription!

Just note only 1 person can use it so it'd only be me able to log onto it.

PM me if you're willing to do this.

It'd save my football season!

Ryan

I have DirecTV for the first time in ages.

I'm getting The Ticket, and am wondering if the Red Zone comes with it?

DirecTV subscriber for probably close to a decade. Had the Sunday Ticket for probably the last 5 or 6 years. Love it. Would not live without it. Personally I think the RZ channel is a pale comparison. In any event, I ordered the ESPN college game plan 2 years ago, but unfortunately I am rarely home on Saturdays (that damn work thing once again interfering with the enjoyment of life--LOL), so I just called up to cancel it before it automatically renewed. I am not the type who hondles on a price. If I have already agreed to pay a certain price, then I pay that price. With that in mind, while I was cancelling the college game plan package, I asked about "anything you can do on the Sunday Ticket for a long-time subscriber?" I did NOT threaten to cancel the Sunday Ticket, nor did I have any intentions of calling back over and over to get a "better deal." In any event, they immediately offered me the $20 off per month (6 months x $20 = $120 savings). So, even if you don't want to go through the hassles of threatening to leave, it is seemingly a no-brainer to call up and get the $120 savings.
But you just said that once you agree to pay a certain price, then you pay that price. I think you should call them back ad turn down the discount.

Sunday Ticket Now available on ps3

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/sony-playstation-3-getting-directvs-nfl-sunday-ticket-no-dish-necessary/

Anyone that seriously participates in a Fantasy Football league knows how frustrating it is to be locked from out-of-market games. DirecTV, Sony and the NFL are partnering to offer a new option for PS3 owners.

Sony announced a collaboration with DirecTV to bring the NFL Sunday Ticket to PlayStation 3 owners. Access to the programming doesn’t require an installed satellite dish or DirecTV’s service. PS3 owners will be able to view live streaming video of up to 14 out-of-market games per weekend. The games will be displayed in high definition and users will also have access to the Red Zone Channel. This channel shows highlights of every scoring drive of every single game without the burden of commercials.

The price, however, is hefty. While it’s only $5 more than what DirecTV charges for the package, the entire season will run $339.95 for non-subscribers. If a PlayStation 3 owner is already a DirecTV Sunday Ticket subscriber, there’s a $50 charge to enable access on the gaming machine, thus creating another HD receiver in the home. These prices are charged per season similar to the Major League Baseball package. However, the MLB.TV package is considerable lower at $120 per season. The PlayStation 3 also offers NHL GameCenter for a $9.99 app cost and $169 cost for yearly access to games and other highlights.

One negative to the service is that it’s limited to out-of-market games. If the PlayStation 3 is hooked up on the same television used for watching local games, users will have to switch back and forth between inputs rather than on the DirecTV service. With the recent price drop of the PlayStation 3 to $249 for the 160GB model, a die-hard NFL fanatic that doesn’t have DirecTV service is looking at nearly $600 to outfit a home with NFL Sunday Ticket access before the season officially kicks off on September 8.

In addition to NFL Sunday Ticket access on the PlayStation 3, DirecTV also announced a collaboration with the NFL.com to bring Fantasy Football functionality to the television screen. Using connected set-top boxes, users can assign icons to specific players and jump to those games to check up on stats and overall progress

The PS3 news is my first chance to get Sunday Ticket in years (as I'm tied up in a contract with Dish Network) and while the idea is fun, I'll never ever leave the warm comfy arms of NFL Red Zone (and for 7 bucks a month for only 4 months.)

Why watch one game at a time when I can watch all the good action at the same time.

DirecTV subscriber for probably close to a decade. Had the Sunday Ticket for probably the last 5 or 6 years. Love it. Would not live without it. Personally I think the RZ channel is a pale comparison. In any event, I ordered the ESPN college game plan 2 years ago, but unfortunately I am rarely home on Saturdays (that damn work thing once again interfering with the enjoyment of life--LOL), so I just called up to cancel it before it automatically renewed. I am not the type who hondles on a price. If I have already agreed to pay a certain price, then I pay that price. With that in mind, while I was cancelling the college game plan package, I asked about "anything you can do on the Sunday Ticket for a long-time subscriber?" I did NOT threaten to cancel the Sunday Ticket, nor did I have any intentions of calling back over and over to get a "better deal." In any event, they immediately offered me the $20 off per month (6 months x $20 = $120 savings). So, even if you don't want to go through the hassles of threatening to leave, it is seemingly a no-brainer to call up and get the $120 savings.
But you just said that once you agree to pay a certain price, then you pay that price. I think you should call them back ad turn down the discount.
My point was that if I make a deal with someone I stick to my end of it. But if they are essentially going to hand me the money (while I am already calling them about another issue) why wouldn't I take the discount ?

The PS3 news is my first chance to get Sunday Ticket in years (as I'm tied up in a contract with Dish Network) and while the idea is fun, I'll never ever leave the warm comfy arms of NFL Red Zone (and for 7 bucks a month for only 4 months.)Why watch one game at a time when I can watch all the good action at the same time.
actually with the ticket there is channel that shows 8 games at oncebig screen TV = $$$$

'Sudoku_in_the_Bathtub said:
'Mr.Pack said:
I have DirecTV for the first time in ages. I'm getting The Ticket, and am wondering if the Red Zone comes with it?
Yes it does. ST to Go (laptop/phone) is $50 extra, but can be talked into getting free.
Thanks!

'Shane Falco said:
'rocketsauce said:
The PS3 news is my first chance to get Sunday Ticket in years (as I'm tied up in a contract with Dish Network) and while the idea is fun, I'll never ever leave the warm comfy arms of NFL Red Zone (and for 7 bucks a month for only 4 months.)Why watch one game at a time when I can watch all the good action at the same time.
actually with the ticket there is channel that shows 8 games at oncebig screen TV = $$$$
this is what I am most looking forward to on my new 51" :excited:

Direct TV subscriber since 2000, currently not under contract.

1st offer - 25% off $324 price

2nd offer - 50% off

3rd offer - 75% off

4th offer - 100% off in 2011, but auto renew at full price next year. If I cancelled auto renew, it's full price for 2011

I took the 3rd offer after 30 minutes of haggling. Also, I got a new receiver and she waived the $20 shipping/handling charge.

Net was $79.98 - $20.00 = $59.98

Does not include "to go" since I didn't need it. Includes everything else, red zone, game mix, player tracking etc...

I hate to do this song and dance each year, but for 30 minutes time it's worth it!

I hate the song and dance as well.

Are you guys mainly getting one time credits, or credits spread over 12 months?

Credits over 12 months are nice, but you have to stay with DTV to realize the full credit. 12 month credits also screw you up the following year when you have to make a similar call.

I hate the song and dance as well.Are you guys mainly getting one time credits, or credits spread over 12 months?Credits over 12 months are nice, but you have to stay with DTV to realize the full credit. 12 month credits also screw you up the following year when you have to make a similar call.
One time credits are the only way to fly. Monthy credits = win for DTV.

If I cancelled auto renew, it's full price for 2011
And you believed that??? Nobody will charge you retroactively 6 months after a service has ended. He pulled one over on you dude.

I've had Sunday Ticket and DirecTv for 10 plus years. I followed the good advice here and called DTV Friday. Used "cancel service" with their automated service. Took me right to customer rentention. I was very nice. Told the rep I was ready to change to Dish because of the savings. Before I made the change I wanted to give DTV a chance to keep my business. Result: Free DVR service for 1 year... $5 per mo. credit for 12 months... 2 months free Showtime... NFL Sunday Ticket NO CHARGE! Didn't need to sign up for auto bill pay and no contract. It was worth the 10 minutes.

So while watching football tonight a commercial for Sunday Ticket comes on and it says now free. It didn't say free to new customers but I imagine it scrolled across the screen at the bottom in small print. Did I dream this?

Also saw were it is free to anyone who uses the mover's special. I just moved about 3 weeks ago so I am going to check into that and thought I would pass that info on to anyone who is moving or just moved.

Called them last week, just got out of my 2 year contract in april. Did mention that i was considering cancelling service to go with another provider. After all of the discounts they offered along with them cutting the sunday ticket price in half I essentially got the Ticket for free and am only paying for the Sunday ticket to go program for the $50 over the next 5 months. Didn't have to renew my contract or anything so I was quite satisfied with that so I can get my 3 TV's and computer going on 4 more games during the season.

I called and got:50% off Sunday ticket$10 x 6 months off Sports PackFree HD DVR with installationI see lots of people getting free Sunday Ticket and ST To Go. After having already accepted this deal, should I call and try to get the rest of Sunday Ticket knocked off and ST To Go added, or are you out of luck once you've accepted a deal?
I did. I just told them that my wife found out that my in laws got the ST for free and was livid that we had to pay. Also, reference that new customers get it free.
Just called back and asked what else they could do, referencing that other new and existing subscribers were getting it for free. They knocked another 25% off of the Sunday Ticket and threw in ST To Go for free. Took about 5 minutes.

Called and told them I'm about to get married. Wife has DishNetwork and is complaining about Directv price. Came back with $20 off per month. I said that didn't make any sense since I could have her sign up as a new customer and get it for free. Two minutes later "Sir you will have Sunday ticket for free this year". I asked him if I still get to be on a month to month contract and he said yes.

Mission accomplished.

Just called. Did the "cancel service" deal.

Explained I was upset that others were getting it for free and I had to pay $380 for ST and to go. Got put on hold for about 4 mins, she offered 50% of the ticket price. I asked if it included the to-go as well and she said no, but she could throw it in.

I agreed to that as $160 is not bad price for the ticket.

SO....as she is putting in discounts I keep talking to her (she sounded super hot btw LOL) and she goes oh this offer just popped up, you can pay a one time fee for the to-go package and get the ticket for FREE. I was like really? ummm OK!!

My deal

$49.99 one time free for to-go

FREE sunday ticket

Starz FREE for 3 months

WELL WORTH the 15 min phone call.

Been with Directv for ~5yrs. Called retention services and told them I'm looking at Dish and local company. Asked what they could do to lower my bill. Told them I liked sports. They immediately offered ST for free and another $15 dollars off for 24 months. No contract required.

Just did the hustle. I got

$30 off for the next 6 months

$20 off the football package to-go service that lets you watch online or on your mobile device.

a free HD/DVR box for my living room ($100 value)

1 free internet package which allows me to access their free on demand content

Just did the hustle. I got

$30 off for the next 6 months

$20 off the football package to-go service that lets you watch online or on your mobile device.

a free HD/DVR box for my living room ($100 value)

1 free internet package which allows me to access their free on demand content
Been with them since 1997. I have made the call for the last 10 years. I did get the $30.00 off for the next 6 months. Also got Sunday Ticket to go for free. I did not get another DVR receiver though. I figure I got a little more than 1/2 of the price. I may call back again to see if we can "TRIM" the bill a bit more.....

If you don't ask, you don't get. It is well worth the 15 minute call! :moneybag:

DirecTv customer for 12 years here, currently under remaining contract I agreed to for additional free HD DVR in bedroom....

The wife & I constantly take advantage of their ongoing credit offers (DTV will straight up tell you to call back when one credit expires to get another one applied.) I've always been satisfied with their customer service.

However, last month, my wife got a supervisor/manager to apply credits to our bill in order to lower our monthly statement. At that time, she'd asked about getting ST for free, but the best we could get was half price. I said not to take it. When our new bill came, only part of the credits had been applied. She was pissed & called back, but the DTV supervisor (a different one) said that the previous supervisor had given her incorrect info & could not apply all the credits she'd been told she was getting. I took the phone & the guy basically said that we had all of the credits we could get at this point, & he couldn't do any more at this time. I was about to get off the phone & call back later when I asked, "are you sure there isn't any other credit that I'm eligible for?"

Long pause.... He comes back with, "I can give you the Sunday Ticket at no charge for this season, sir."

I hadn't mentioned ST up to this point in the conversation, but guess the guy saw where we'd had it in the past & inquired about it this season. Honestly, I wasn't even planning on bringing it up, but I told him I'd take it since he wasn't budging on anything else (and the fact that I'm still under contract with less negotiating room.) Told the wife the outcome, she wasn't thrilled we didn't get any more reductions, but understood. With the new baby at home, I wasn't planning on going out much to watch games anyway, so win-win.

Looks like DTV is prepared to take care of customers who press for free ST. Like everyone's said, be nice, but tactful & assertive.

Sunday Ticket for free

$20 off for 6 months

Important note for those offered the Sunday Ticket at half price - a DirecTV customer retention representative told me that even if they are willing to give you the Sunday Ticket for free, DirecTV requires they make you the half price offer first in the event you are willing to accept it. All you have to do is protest that new customers and others are getting it for free after they make you the half price offer and then they are permitted to offer it for free.

Hope others find this helpful. Great thread every year.

:thumbup:

FREE FOR ME! ten minutes. First guy said 50% off. I said let me talk to retention. Immediately got it for free.

Only been with DirecTV for 14 months. Asked if I could still be considered a "new" customer and get ST for free. Told best they could do was 1/2 price, but then gave me $20 off for 12 months along with $10 off for 6 months. So I'm paying $160 for ST, but getting $300 off my bill over the next 12 months.

Do the Sunday ticket channels not show up until the season starts... or only on Sunday's maybe? I just got installed and don't see the ticket channels.

'notdarkyet said:
Do the Sunday ticket channels not show up until the season starts... or only on Sunday's maybe? I just got installed and don't see the ticket channels.
a week before the game usually IIRC

Users who are viewing this thread