What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ten Basketball 2022/2023 - Return to Power (2 Viewers)

Bump for NBA draft withdrawals - Juwan Morgan, Carsen Edwards, Nick Ward all returning to school.  Don't have a full list tho.

heckmanm said:
Bump for NBA draft withdrawals - Juwan Morgan, Carsen Edwards, Nick Ward all returning to school.  Don't have a full list tho.
  • Great news for Badger Nation: A source said star Ethan Happ has withdrawn from the NBA draft and will return to Wisconsin for senior season.
  • Kevin Huerter is remaining in the NBA Draft, which is a big blow to Maryland. I had the Terps 16th in the Top 25 (and one) with him. Trying to figure out where to slot them without him now. 
Both of those are from twitter.

Still no word on Charles Matthews. Doesn't seem like a good decision to leave - he could really use another year of development under Beilein. But with no answer yet, it makes me nervous. 

Charles Matthews is returning to Michigan. Great news for the Maize and Blue and the best decision for Matthews, imo.

Isaac Copeland and James Palmer Jr both coming back to Nebraska which is huge. Brings back 4 starters for the Huskers.

I hear you. And I know in EL Izzo can do know wrong. But isn't it fair to at least question some of Izzo's baffling lineup decisions? Including with Ward.
Sure. That ‘cuse game was a huge debacle and most of the blame falls on Izzo. I’m not an Izzo homer, in fact I think he’s truly lost his edge a bit over the years and his style hasn’t paid off so much recently. However, Izzo runs the program, Nick Ward doesn’t. Sooner Ward figures that out the better for everyone. Ward seriously regressed last season. I think a lot of that was his own bullheaded attitude. Izzo is no saint either when it comes to being a bullhead. Just once you’d think he’d figure out how to match up against a zone defense .

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this is horrible news - 

The University of Michigan's John Beilein interviewed for the Detroit Pistons coaching job on Thursday, league sources tell ESPN.

--

Lets hope he's just using this to get more money from MI.

Whew - stressful few days. Thank goodness - 

@JohnBeilein 

I love the University of Michigan and I am excited about coaching our Men’s Basketball Team next season and in the years to come ! Let’s go hang some more banners at “THE GREATEST UNIVERSITY IN THE WORLD “

#GoBlue

It would have been a dumb move for Beilein to take the Pistons job.  That franchise is in salary cap hell for the near term and built around bigs.

I'm a Badger and love BWGs as much as the next guy but 4/$41M for Jon Leuer is a :bag: contract

Gophers have some nice freshmen this year but Gabe Kalscheur especially looks ready to play a lot and is a pure shooter. 5-6 from 3 vs. Utah. Mature in other areas too. 

Any guesses as to which conference has the most teams in the KenPom top 40?  It's not really close...

8 Michigan

12 Purdue

14 Michigan State

17 Indiana

19 Wisconsin

29 Nebraska

30 Ohio State

33 Iowa

35 Maryland

36 Penn State

35 Maryland
I'm a booster and realize that I'm biased, but watch out for Maryland. They are loaded with jumping-jacks and have an experienced PG in Cowan. Bruno Fernandez is a beast and Andrew Wiggins is going to be a better pro than college player. Their big problem is that they can't make 3s.

Any guesses as to which conference has the most teams in the KenPom top 40?  It's not really close...

8 Michigan

12 Purdue

14 Michigan State

17 Indiana

19 Wisconsin

29 Nebraska

30 Ohio State

33 Iowa

35 Maryland

36 Penn State
Don’t be surprised when Minnesota beats some of these teams. Could finish in top half of the Big 10. 

I'm a booster and realize that I'm biased, but watch out for Maryland. They are loaded with jumping-jacks and have an experienced PG in Cowan. Bruno Fernandez is a beast and Andrew Wiggins is going to be a better pro than college player. Their big problem is that they can't make 3s.
That really just underscores my point. The easy wins in the conference schedule are going to be far and few between.  (fellow boosters unite)

Unless they start hitting threes, teams are going to play a lot of zone against Maryland.  I'm not convinced Turgeon is capable of implementing an offense that can score well against a zone.

I wrote this in the NCAA thread but this is a very strange Michigan team. Very weird for Beilein because they can't shoot. Really at all. But they do have people who can take it to the hole - including the freshman Iggy Breisdeikas (sp?). 

But their calling card is the amazing defense they play. They are currently the #1 kenpom defensive team. Its been sick so far this year. Very curious to see how they play v UNC.

I wrote this in the NCAA thread but this is a very strange Michigan team. Very weird for Beilein because they can't shoot. Really at all. But they do have people who can take it to the hole - including the freshman Iggy Breisdeikas (sp?). 

But their calling card is the amazing defense they play. They are currently the #1 kenpom defensive team. Its been sick so far this year. Very curious to see how they play v UNC.
11 of 22 from three.....maybe they can shoot.  Poole who started the season going 0 for 6, has since shot 13 for 26 from three land.  The definitely can play defense, probably even better than last year's #3 defense.  Dominated every team so far including North Carolina and Villanova.  NC was the first team to shoot better than 35 percent at 39 percent.   The freshman Ignas Brazdeikiz is playing like an All-American and Matthews now is definitely NBA ready. 

Maryland lost by 5 at home to UVA. Twerpies played hard, though not always well. Virginia ran it out to a 16 or 17 point lead in the 2nd half before Maryland cut it back to 4 several times down the stretch. They just couldn't make that one more shot or stop to get it to a one score game.

Maryland's youth showed against tough, smart, experienced UVA but I like the fight they showed. Their jump-shooting remains wildly inconsistent and will be their downfall.

Maryland lost by 5 at home to UVA. Twerpies played hard, though not always well. Virginia ran it out to a 16 or 17 point lead in the 2nd half before Maryland cut it back to 4 several times down the stretch. They just couldn't make that one more shot or stop to get it to a one score game.

Maryland's youth showed against tough, smart, experienced UVA but I like the fight they showed. Their jump-shooting remains wildly inconsistent and will be their downfall.
Virginia is so good.  Poised, patient, steady, experienced.  Terps never gave up, which I liked.  Last year's team would have gotten blown out by 30 once they fell behind by double digits.

Bruno is ridiculous.  He's going to be a top 20 pick this year.

Virginia is so good.  Poised, patient, steady, experienced.  Terps never gave up, which I liked.  Last year's team would have gotten blown out by 30 once they fell behind by double digits.

Bruno is ridiculous.  He's going to be a top 20 pick this year.
I had company and didn't pay real close attention, but......

Maryland had some success early with Bruno flashing into the lane and either going to the rim or shooting a baby hook. Did Virginia do something to stop that or did Maryland just go away from it for some other reason?

A minor miracle that Maryland was able to get back close towards the end, considering they had to play into UVA's half court D the entire game - Virginia only had TWO turnovers in the game, meaning Maryland couldn't run on them as much as I had hoped.

Big 10 is kicking off today in a big way: Michigan vs Purdue. I haven't seen Purdue play yet this year but they will need to bring their A game for Michigan because the Wolverines are athletic, tenacious and extremely skilled. 

Northwestern gave Indiana all they could handle, but Romeo’s natural talent ultimately won out in the end.  Indiana is still trying to get healthy and figure out their rotations. 

Good win for Bucky in Iowa City. I’m a long way from thinking this Badgers team is a contender, but it’s great to go into Iowa and get a win. 
Certainly not a final four threat but a far cry from the disaster that was the 17-18 season. They could be really fun in a year or two. Trice will end up better than his brother imo. 

Users who are viewing this thread