What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (6 Viewers)

This guy blazes a bowl and get a 1 year ban.... While Baby Dr Dre aka Ray Rice knocks a chick out and gets 2 games!!!

Land of the Free of Baby!

Gordon should sue the NFL and force them to take Marijuana testing off the program

The entire country is starting to embrace cannabis... Fossils in the NFL need to catch up
He didn't 'blaze a bowl' The levels he got popped at were from second hand smoke.

Also, NFL is in talks to raise the marijuana test levels. Do some research before posting.
Guys Zandbak knows what he's talking about...he drafted Gordon in fantasy so that means he has insight into Gordon's personal life.

Can we move beyond the "he shouldn't be suspended" or "he should be" and simply talk about the implications to his future career and to other players on the Browns? This is a football forum not a social-political forum.

This guy blazes a bowl and get a 1 year ban.... While Baby Dr Dre aka Ray Rice knocks a chick out and gets 2 games!!!

Gordon should sue the NFL and force them to take Marijuana testing off the program

The entire country is starting to embrace cannabis... Fossils in the NFL need to catch up
He didn't 'blaze a bowl' The levels he got popped at were from second hand smoke.

Also, NFL is in talks to raise the marijuana test levels. Do some research before posting.
Guys Zandbak knows what he's talking about...he drafted Gordon in fantasy so that means he has insight into Gordon's personal life.
Gordon has been tested over 80 times since entering the drug program. The levels he got popped at means he either:

Smoked a few weeks before being tested

Didn't smoke but inhaled contaminated air.

Considering he's being tested at least once a week, it doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Or maybe it does. Let me spell it out for you then.

Gordon couldn't have 'blazed a bowl' as the teenager above said, and pissed such a tiny amount of THC. Please, do a little research and actually think before posting. It isn't hard.

Gordon has been tested over 80 times since entering the drug program. The levels he got popped at means he either:

Considering he's being tested at least once a week, it doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Or maybe it does. Let me spell it out for you then.

Gordon couldn't have 'blazed a bowl' as the teenager above said, and pissed such a tiny amount of THC. Please, do a little research and actually think before posting. It isn't hard.
He smoked a week prior and didn't have enough time to burn it off apparently. Do some research before posting. It isn't hard.

(Rotoworld) FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reports the NFL and NFLPA recently began formal talks to raise marijuana test levels. Analysis: Currently, the NFL's threshold of THC levels to trigger a positive marijuana test is 15 nanograms per milliliter. The NFL got that number from the World Anti-Doping Agency a few years ago, but WADA raised its level to 150 ng/ml last summer. MLB's threshold is 50 ng/ml. Just as Ray Rice's case forced the NFL to stiffen penalties against domestic violence, Josh Gordon's will likely be the one that gets the NFL to soften its stance against marijuana.

He smoked a week prior and didn't have enough time to burn it off apparently. Do some research before posting. It isn't hard.
Answered with 'apparently' = instantly disregarded.

It's not a big deal..he wasn't able to get clean fast enough after smoking right after his last test. It happens. Sorry you wasted a draft pick.

Not for nothing, but can you provide us with the schedule of his tests? I mean if he was tested "at least once a week," was he tested when he went on vacation? Did the NFL follow him to Mexico? Did they go with him when he went to visit his mother in Texas? Where did these weekly tests occur? I mean since you know, FOR A FACT, that he was tested EVERY week, you'd know those details, wouldn't you?

The FACT is that you are guessing about how often he was tested, just as the other tester was guessing about Gordon "blazing a bowl." Maybe don't be so judgemental, huh?

Right, much better to pretend like what you are saying is fact, than to show that it is a logical hypothesis. Because everyone wants to know what you pretend is a fact.

Maybe you are the one who needs to do some research

From 7/24/13 RW:

Gordon tested positive for marijuana three times in college and will sit out the first two games of this season after testing positive for codeine. "He's got one more time to really straighten things up before he's got to leave," Jackson said. "I think he is starting to realize that." If Gordon violates the substance abuse policy again, he'll be facing a one-year ban.
That was the result all along.

There was so much debate over this, 155 pages, ridiculous.

According to Mike Florio Gordon has not ruled out suing the NFL so he can get an injunction and play this year. Supposedly his request to play in Canada could just be a calculated move to show the harm that the suspension is causing him .

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/29/josh-gordon-hasnt-ruled-out-litigation-yet/

Josh Gordon hasn’t ruled out litigation, yetDid Gordon ask to play in Canada knowing that the request would be denied, so that he in turn could bolster an effort to seek an injunction preventing the implementation of his suspension via a lawsuit challenging the suspension?

Those facts would help show what the law calls “irreparable harm,” one of the key factors that must exist for a court tell a party who wants to do something to not do it until the case has ended. Gordon currently is caught in a vise, unable to play for the Browns and also not permitted while suspended to play for anyone else. While that may not win the day, it’s one of those real-world facts that could cause a judge to conclude that Josh has gotten jobbed.

Of course, none of that is relevant unless and until Gordon sues. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Gordon’s legal team is still exploring the possibility of filing suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was disappointed to see that this was bumped up from page two. I thought this thread would finally die. He's been suspended. Deal with it and let it go. Next year IF he's eligible again, then bring him up again.

Here is another article about how he is going to sue and According to this article the Court in the county where he would file is on alert in anticipation of it being filed. Here is the article.

http://fieldandcourt.com/othersports/item/258-gordon-v-nfl-how-gordon-gets-his-tro.html

Procedure For Josh Gordon To Secure TRO vs. NFL

With no known downside, I fully expect Josh Gordon to file a lawsuit against the NFL in the next few days. Pursuing his legal options, which Gordon’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said Gordon would do to the fullest extent available to him, cannot result in any foreseeable harm to the Pro Bowl wide receiver.

The NFL already suspended Gordon for as long as they could: one calendar year. It’s not as though the league could suspend Gordon for an additional year, or any other period of time, because he files a lawsuit.

And if Dawg Pound Nation’s report is true—that the NFL made an offer to Gordon for a suspension of less than a full calendar year—then why wouldn’t Gordon take that offer if he’s just going to accept the full calendar year suspension without a fight. It simply doesn’t make sense.

So I expect the news to hit any hour now that Gordon has filed suit in Cuyahoga County, Ohio.

And I’m not the only one.

I called the clerk of the court in Cuyahoga County and spoke with a window file clerk. She informed me that their office is on alert in anticipation of Gordon’s lawsuit. The reason she gave me for being on alert: “Because he said he would sue. We’re ready for it.”

Is it just me or do the guys who are currently "right" on here because Gordon got suspended seem hostile toward the discussion of the obvious and inevitable next step of the law suit being filed? I'm surprised there's so much "just give up and move on!" in this thread....I have always assumed that if he did get the suspension he would automatically file the suit and seek an injunction and that we would still be discussing that new phase. I have no clue if a judge will grant an injunction but I've seen several solid arguments for why they would.

Is it just me or do the guys who are currently "right" on here because Gordon got suspended seem hostile toward the discussion of the obvious and inevitable next step of the law suit being filed? I'm surprised there's so much "just give up and move on!" in this thread....I have always assumed that if he did get the suspension he would automatically file the suit and seek an injunction and that we would still be discussing that new phase. I have no clue if a judge will grant an injunction but I've seen several solid arguments for why they would.
:lmao:

Hostile? No. Laughing at a new delusion that is nothing but the child of the previous delusions? Yes ;)

The courts are most likely closed until Tuesday due to the holiday weekend so if and it's a big if he files it would be next week. I for one fully expected him to file as he and his legal team hinted. He has nothing to lose. Why I did not drop him. I got nothing else I need so will hold him until week 1 is over and in leagues where I did not draft him but he was dropped in all , I dropped my backup TE or kicker and grabbed him .of course now with some of the legal speculation some of the owners who dropped him so quick are upset they dropped him so quick and having remorse. Could also be a reason why some posters here are angry a little .and some people just don't think he can win . I also don't think he's playing this year no matter but why not hold him a week just in case.

The courts are most likely closed until Tuesday due to the holiday weekend so if and it's a big if he files it would be next week. I for one fully expected him to file as he and his legal team hinted. He has nothing to lose. Why I did not drop him. I got nothing else I need so will hold him until week 1 is over and in leagues where I did not draft him but he was dropped in all , I dropped my backup TE or kicker and grabbed him .of course now with some of the legal speculation some of the owners who dropped him so quick are upset they dropped him so quick and having remorse. Could also be a reason why some posters here are angry a little .and some people just don't think he can win . I also don't think he's playing this year no matter but why not hold him a week just in case.
This is exactly the point. The 150 page pissing match aside, it seems plausible that he might sue and if he does he might get a TRO. If that happens there's a second round pick available. That's not worth speculating over? If it's wrong, what the hell. If it's right... Not sure why there's so much emotion in here.

:lmao: Hostile? No. Laughing at a new delusion that is nothing but the child of the previous delusions? Yes ;)
Not sure you can call them delusional when suing is still possible for the Gordon legal team.

:lmao: Hostile? No. Laughing at a new delusion that is nothing but the child of the previous delusions? Yes ;)
Not sure you can call them delusional when suing is still possible for the Gordon legal team.
You can when there is little to no chance that suing will work

The NFL already suspended Gordon for as long as they could: one calendar year. It’s not as though the league could suspend Gordon for an additional year, or any other period of time, because he files a lawsuit.
No, it's not going to affect him right now but it will mean Goodell won't be in any hurry to decide on his reinstatement next year.

The 150 page pissing match aside, it seems plausible that he might sue and if he does he might get a TRO. If that happens there's a second round pick available. That's not worth speculating over? If it's wrong, what the hell. If it's right... Not sure why there's so much emotion in here.
There's also a chance that Brandon Tate will lead the league in receiving this season, or that Dontrelle Inman will, or that Dane Sanzenbacher will.

The question isn't whether something is possible; the question is whether it's probable enough to be taken seriously.

The probability that Gordon will get a TRO is not significantly greater than the probability that Dontrelle Inman will lead the league in receiving, IMO. In either case, the probability is not worth taking seriously.

Others are free to disagree, of course.

The 150 page pissing match aside, it seems plausible that he might sue and if he does he might get a TRO. If that happens there's a second round pick available. That's not worth speculating over? If it's wrong, what the hell. If it's right... Not sure why there's so much emotion in here.
There's also a chance that Brandon Tate will lead the league in receiving this season, or that Dontrelle Inman will, or that Dane Sanzenbacher will.

The question isn't whether something is possible; the question is whether it's probable enough to be taken seriously.

The probability that Gordon will get a TRO is not significantly greater than the probability that Dontrelle Inman will lead the league in receiving, IMO. In either case, the probability is not worth taking seriously.

Ok, I'll take the bait...I'll disagree. I believe the talent and motivation of Gordon's legal advisers and agent offer a significantly greater probability of a successful TRO compared to the talent level of Inman or Tate being able to lead the league in receiving. He's at least worth holding until next week. (Note: Sanzenbacher not included)

Here is another article about how he is going to sue and According to this article the Court in the county where he would file is on alert in anticipation of it being filed. Here is the article.

http://fieldandcourt.com/othersports/item/258-gordon-v-nfl-how-gordon-gets-his-tro.html

With no known downside, I fully expect Josh Gordon to file a lawsuit against the NFL in the next few days. Pursuing his legal options, which Gordon’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said Gordon would do to the fullest extent available to him, cannot result in any foreseeable harm to the Pro Bowl wide receiver.

And if Dawg Pound Nation’s report is true—that the NFL made an offer to Gordon for a suspension of less than a full calendar year—then why wouldn’t Gordon take that offer if he’s just going to accept the full calendar year suspension without a fight. It simply doesn’t make sense.

So I expect the news to hit any hour now that Gordon has filed suit in Cuyahoga County, Ohio.

I called the clerk of the court in Cuyahoga County and spoke with a window file clerk. She informed me that their office is on alert in anticipation of Gordon’s lawsuit. The reason she gave me for being on alert: “Because he said he would sue. We’re ready for it.”
This is the same guy who blogged that he was "100% positive that Gordon was going to beat his suspension," because he used his legal knowledge to interpret the CBA/substance of abuse policy in a way that "proved" Gordon would win. Then he used that same legal expertise to incorrectly read the Ohio Administrative code to proclaim that even if he did get suspension, Gordon would immediately file a lawsuit (AND WIN IT EASILY) because the NFL's policy violated Ohio's laws (it doesn't). He also used his legal acumen to mis-understand the outcome of the Starcap's case to suggest that provided a precedent for Gordon's lawsuit.

So, call me a little hesitant to accept this blog as "evidence" that Gordon is going to sue because he "claims" to have talked to a court clerk who says Gordon is going to sue.

Well if the file clerk has her stamp all ready, you know they're serious.

I offered Allen Robinson for him in a league the other day. Owner rejected. I'm going to offer him again during the season. Unless of course Robinson shows he can really play.

The bolded is 100% wrong. Gordon can apply for reinstatement after a year. It's entirely up to Goodell whether or not he lets him back in at that time. Someone else already posted about Tanard Jackson who was suspended at this stage, served a year without failing a test, applied for reinstatement, and was rejected. He ended up serving two full years before being reinstated.

By the way, I like how everyone all the Gordon owners are bemoaning the fact that he barely failed a drug test, or that he passed 70 in a row.

A drug test is not like a math test. If you barely fail a math test, like get a 59% or whatever it is, that means that you knew 59% of the stuff on it. If you barely fail a drug test, it still means you had drugs in your system. It's not a matter of degree.

Hell, I'm more sympathetic to the fact that's facing a DUI with a .09 BAC when the limit is .08. Not that drunk driving isn't more serious than marijuana (it definitely is), but the legal limits are tight, and he just tip-toed over it. That is a matter of degree.

But drugs in your system is a simple yes/no. When you're in Stage 3, you can't even do a little drugs, lol.

Ok, I'll take the bait...I'll disagree. I believe the talent and motivation of Gordon's legal advisers and agent offer a significantly greater probability of a successful TRO compared to the talent level of Inman or Tate being able to lead the league in receiving. He's at least worth holding until next week. (Note: Sanzenbacher not included)
Unfortunately, his talented and motivated team are hamstrung by the reality of the law. It's really more like Sanzenbacher leading the league in tackles.

The bolded is 100% wrong. Gordon can apply for reinstatement after a year. It's entirely up to Goodell whether or not he lets him back in at that time. Someone else already posted about Tanard Jackson who was suspended at this stage, served a year without failing a test, applied for reinstatement, and was rejected. He ended up serving two full years before being reinstated.
I've said before that it's very possible Gordon misses the entire 2015 season as well. Getting suspended right before the season starts means he has to do everything right in the next year (no missed/failed tests, no other arrests) for him to play.

I'm also under the impression that if he is found guilty of DUI that alcohol is another thing he is going to be tested for. So then having any alcohol in his system on a test will cost him 2015.

LOL about the court clerk being "on alert" because she heard that someone is going to file a lawsuit. That's like somebody at the post office being "on alert" because he heard that someone is going to mail a letter.

When someone files a lawsuit, the clerk collects the filling fee, enters the suit into the system, generates a case number, and stamps a summons. It's entirely routine -- nothing to be on alert for, and nothing that anyone would call ahead about.

LOL about the court clerk being "on alert" because she heard that someone is going to file a lawsuit. That's like somebody at the post office being "on alert" because he heard that someone is going to mail a letter.

When someone files a lawsuit, the clerk collects the filling fee, enters the suit into the system, generates a case number, and stamps a summons. It's entirely routine -- nothing to be on alert for, and nothing that anyone would call ahead about.
Just curious, but for you folks who "Said all along it would be one year", and those who are saying "He got a year. Done deal. It's over", why are you still coming back trying to shoot down every post?

Some of us want ALL THE NEWS, good and bad, about this situation.

Just curious, but for you folks who "Said all along it would be one year", and those who are saying "He got a year. Done deal. It's over", why are you still coming back trying to shoot down every post?

You do realize that Maurile knows what he's talking about, right? Is there any reason you wouldn't want misinformation to be labeled as such?

I've resisted posting in this thread for weeks. I went into my drafts with drafting Gordon as a possibility. The way I see it, he's the ultimate late round flier. If he some how manages to play this season, which I admit is a very slim proposition, you've virtually hit the fantasy football lottery. You've landed a WR1 at no cost. If he doesn't play this season, it makes no difference. I wasn't counting on him any way. Drafting Gordon is a no lose situation. That's what I think the Gordon supporters are really saying. Some of you guys are acting like Gordon was drafted to be counted on. Think "Lottery Ticket," you can't win if you don't play.

I've resisted posting in this thread for weeks. I went into my drafts with drafting Gordon as a possibility. The way I see it, he's the ultimate late round flier. If he some how manages to play this season, which I admit is a very slim proposition, you've virtually hit the fantasy football lottery. You've landed a WR1 at no cost. If he doesn't play this season, it makes no difference. I wasn't counting on him any way. Drafting Gordon is a no lose situation. That's what I think the Gordon supporters are really saying. Some of you guys are acting like Gordon was drafted to be counted on. Think "Lottery Ticket," you can't win if you don't play.
Make sure you pick up Aaron Hernandez too.

Sure, and Walter Payton since all 3 situations are analogous.

Just curious, but for you folks who "Said all along it would be one year", and those who are saying "He got a year. Done deal. It's over", why are you still coming back trying to shoot down every post?Some of us want ALL THE NEWS, good and bad, about this situation.
You do realize that Maurile knows what he's talking about, right? Is there any reason you wouldn't want misinformation to be labeled as such?
I quoted his post, but I wasn't necessarily directing it at him. Hence "you folkS".

This is why I was reluctant to post. Let's be rational with our discussions. If you can't see the difference between Gordon and Hernandez's situation, we can't have a rational discussion. Bottomline is, neither you or I have a crystal ball. I can't lose, but you can by not playing.

You sound like the person who invests only in bonds.

Just throwing out a hypothetical. If Gordon wanted to accrue a season, he needs to play in six games, right?

Why not plan for court, and play the first six games? Then give up his case and take the suspension? Then next year, he plays ten games (if he's not suspended more because of the DUI or anything else for that matter). He accrues two seasons instead of one.

Or is that just an overall bad strategy for the Browns, basically messing with two season?

I told the girl at the checkout counter at Winn Dixie that I would need to buy milk later in the week. She's on alert.

Just curious, but for you folks who "Said all along it would be one year", and those who are saying "He got a year. Done deal. It's over", why are you still coming back trying to shoot down every post?Some of us want ALL THE NEWS, good and bad, about this situation.
I quoted his post, but I wasn't necessarily directing it at him. Hence "you folkS".
Throughout this thread, there has been a number of posts sharing "NEWS" which has turned out to be blatantly false:

>Gordon was only in stage 2, so his suspension would only be 4-6 games

>Gordon didn't actually fail a test, he was late for one, then immediately after his tardiness, took a test, which he passed

>The NFL was desperate to settle with Gordon because they (the NFL) were at fault, due to a "miscommunication" on their part

>The NFL's drug policy conflicted with Ohio law, therefore, any suspension would be overturned

And that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure if someone were so inclined, they could search the last 100 pages or so & find a half dozen more. They all proved to be false, yet if they weren't debunked in this thread, those of you who want "ALL THE NEWS" might have been more inclined to waste a higher pick, keep Gordon in a keeper league, or trade for him, under the false belief that this "NEWS" indicated that Gordon's chances of playing this year weren't slimmer than my chances of hooking up with Kaley Cuoco.

Based on the last 155 pages I think it's safe to say there are a LOT of people who don't want misinformation labeled as such.

I still don't get the overwrought emotions about waiting to see how the suit plays out. I mean, the lawyers on the board are great and certainly help in deciding whether to drop/add if you've got that decision to make, but why people care so much is beyond me.

Just throwing out a hypothetical. If Gordon wanted to accrue a season, he needs to play in six games, right?

Why not plan for court, and play the first six games? Then give up his case and take the suspension? Then next year, he plays ten games (if he's not suspended more because of the DUI or anything else for that matter). He accrues two seasons instead of one.

Or is that just an overall bad strategy for the Browns, basically messing with two season?
It's been suggested previously in this thread, and if he could count on all of those things happening, it might work:

1-get a TRO

2-have the TRO last long enough to allow him to play 6 games

2-getting reinstated as soon as he's eligible next year, and play 6 more games

The problems I see with this strategy are:

1-I doubt he can get a TRO; his legal basis isn't very strong

2-I don't know the TRO would allow him to get 6 weeks of game time; it seems to be a fairly open-and-shut legal case; the arbitrator didn't do anything "wrong" that a court would feel like his decision should be over-turned

3-If he does this, the NFL would likely realize what he was trying to do. They don't have to re-instate him immediately after the year is up. Furthermore, he is going to have the DUI arrest to deal with. Assuming he gets a TRO and plays in weeks 1-6, he couldn't come back until after week 6 next year, at the earliest. It would be very easy for the NFL to hold off on re-instating him and/or suspend him immediately for the DUI, preventing him from playing in 6 games in 2015.

Essentially, Gordon could try to "get around" the system, but the key point is to play in 6 games next year, Goodell has to allow him back in the league. If Gordon does play this game, Goodell could easily put a stop to it.

And that doesn't even consider the fact that Gordon has to stay clean for the next year for this plan to work.

Unfortunately, his talented and motivated team are hamstrung by the reality of the law. It's really more like Sanzenbacher leading the league in tackles.
Ha! Come on now Mr. Ford, the probability has to be higher than that...right? Oh well, screw it, I'm dropping Gordon next week and picking up Sanzenbacher

Users who are viewing this thread