What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (12 Viewers)

Original source for above:

CLEVELAND -- Banished Cleveland Browns receiver Josh Gordon says he has no plans to sue the NFL and is moving forward regardless of whether the league decides to revamp its drug-testing policy.

"The whole being in limbo thing, I'm over it," Gordon said Friday. "I'm not waiting on the edge of my seat anymore."

Asked to pinpoint the last time he smoked marijuana, suspended Browns receiver Josh Gordon said, "I think it was before I got into the league. I don't know."

Gordon, suspended for a year for a failed marijuana test, also said Friday that he voluntarily checked himself into a rehab clinic in July, though he doesn't consider himself an addict. Gordon said he spent two weeks at a clinic in Malibu, California, but had to leave before the 30-day program was over to get to training camp and prepare for his appeal.

The appeal failed last week, as the NFL announced that arbitrator Harold Henderson upheld Gordon's suspension. Gordon said he was leaving the Browns' facility when he heard the news. He said he failed a drug test this past winter because of secondhand smoke.

Gordon's "A" sample tested at 16 nanograms per milliliter, a bare one nanogram per milliliter above the 15-nanogram-per-milliliter threshold, while Gordon's "B" sample -- which theoretically should be consistent with the "A" sample, as it comes from the exact same specimen -- tested at 13.63 ng/ml, lower than the threshold, sources previously told ESPN.

Asked by ESPN.com on Friday to identify the last time he smoked marijuana, Gordon said that it's been a while.

"I think it was before I got into the league," he said. "I don't know."

Asked why he checked himself into rehab if he doesn't consider himself an addict, Gordon said, "Just to see. ... To seek out some help on decision-making. Not drug use or drug abuse, but decision-making. Life skills. How to be your own person and stuff like that."

Negotiations to revamp the league's performance-enhancing drug policy, and possibly implement HGH testing, have intensified, ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen reported Thursday. The NFL and NFLPA are trying to come to an agreement before the start of Sunday's games.

Gordon said the reality of not playing for a year has "definitely hit me." Up until last week, he had held out hope that his suspension would be lowered to eight games.

He said his Browns teammates have texted him, asking how he's doing. He said he misses the structure of football, but plans to keep busy. He will do some work for a local car dealership, he said, because he's interested in cars and in possibly owning a dealership someday. He's also working out and plans to do some charity work in the community.

"People probably expect me to be hidden in a dark room somewhere, going crazy and never coming out," Gordon said. "That's definitely not going to happen. That's just not me.

"I plan to spend it staying busy, that's for sure. Staying positive and surrounding myself with positive, good people who are only here to support me. Nothing to tear me down negatively. Just carry on about life. There's definitely life outside of football."

Gordon confirmed that he did check into possibly playing in the CFL in the hours after he found out he lost his appeal. He can't play in the CFL because he's under contract with the Browns. He said money wasn't the reason he checked into it. He just wanted to stay in shape and stay active.

Gordon was suspended for two games in 2013 for testing positive for codeine. He maintains that he was on the codeine as prescribed medicine for strep throat. In July, Gordon was arrested in North Carolina for driving under the influence.

Did anyone else read the story where it was reported that Gordon never actually stated he didn't wish on filing a suit against the NFL. The only quote they had is the whole tired of being in limbo thing:

http://www.chatsports.com/cleveland-browns/a/Browns-WR-Josh-Gordon-Isnt-Ruling-Out-Suing-The-NFL-10-27-1076

Also, in this conversation there seems to be little mention of Orlando Scandrick. Who is also suspended for using Molly in the offseason. Claiming unknowingly, just as Welker did.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2014/09/could-cowboys-cb-orlando-scandrick-be-allowed-to-return-for-sundays-opener.html/

Everyone keeps comparing Welker and Gordon, but the two cases are really not that similar, save for the altitude of their profile.

He's PROBABLY not suing because he's waiting to see if he gets reinstated or not. If it doesn't come to fruition, there's PROBABLY going to be a lawsuit.

*edited for any confusion that was generated by the previous definitively written statements*

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that he's definitely accepted it and moved on. If he gets reinstated due to the drug policy change, great. Otherwise he'll attempt to get back for 2015.

Didn't he get suspended in 2013, so how could he be reinstated or reduce suspension if an agreement is made on the policy. Just don't see suspension lifted or reduced.

Why does everyone keep posting the same news from different websites like it's breaking news?
Probably for the same reason people get into dumb conversations about why someone posted an opinion without SAYING it was an opinion. That makes me so MAD!

That news is actually new as its some confirmation (from the sources ofcourse) that the new policy would lesson the penaltys of anyone still suspended . That came accross at 2pm , 20 minutes ago. Most of the news before that was just maybe they lesson the penaltys. Ofcourse we all have no way to know who the source is so it could be just noise. But where there is this much noise there is something going on.

Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon is accepting his year-long suspension from the NFL and moving on.

From ESPN:

The whole being in limbo thing, Im over it, Gordon said Friday. Im not waiting on the edge of my seat anymore.

Gordon, who was suspended a year after failing a marijuana test, says he has no plans to sue the NFL to try and reverse the decision.

He reached this decision despite the fact that Gordon still maintains he only failed the drug test due to secondhand smoke. When asked when the last time he ever smoked marijuana, he replied: I think it was before I got into the league. I dont know.

The wide receiver revealed a bit more, as well, including saying he checked himself into a rehab facility in July, though he doesnt consider himself an addict.

Again, from ESPN:

Asked why he checked himself into rehab if he doesnt consider himself an addict, Gordon said, Just to see. To seek out some help on decision-making. Not drug use or drug abuse, but decision-making. Life skills. How to be your own person and stuff like that.

Gordon confirmed that he did look to play in the CFL this season. He cant because hes under contract with the Browns. Gordon maintained he didnt want to play CFL for the money, but rather as a way to stay in shape.
Does this mean the Ohio court clerk's office is standing down and no longer on standby expecting his lawsuit?

I bet that comes as a great relief to the families of those court employees who haven't left a phone, fax, or email account unmonitored lo these many days.

The writing is on the wall for the antiGordon owners. They wre holding on to the edge of the raft looking for ANYTHING to grab onto right now. Entertaining! Im nuetral by the way.

So Josh Gordon could get off on the weed but serve a suspension on the DUI? I'm guessing this first week would go towards that??

So Josh Gordon could get off on the weed but serve a suspension on the DUI? I'm guessing this first week would go towards that??
Serious question, isn't part of the deal allowing Godell to punish players before court. Would this affect Bell, Gordon, etc.

My cousins best friends babysitter spotted Josh Gordon in Pittsburgh at 7-11 ordering a slurpee with his jock strap on! This is definite confirmation he's planning and at the ready to play this weekend, woop!

My cousins best friends babysitter spotted Josh Gordon in Pittsburgh at 7-11 ordering a slurpee with his jock strap on! This is definite confirmation he's planning and at the ready to play this weekend, woop!
I'm a little skeptical, are there even 7-11s in pittsburgh?

Mixed message - obviously good news that he has his jock strap on, bad news that he is hanging out at a 7-11 buying slurpees - that just seems like a suspension waiting to happen.

Yeah something about this story seems fishy... Can't place my finger on it though... Either Pittsburgh doesn't have 7-11s or Gordon doesn't wear a jock strap in public the day before the game... Wait wait wait... Got it... Not a slurpee... I'd have believed it had he been buying Doritos or other munchies... Slurpees seem like more of a codeine kind if thing no?

Yeah something about this story seems fishy... Can't place my finger on it though... Either Pittsburgh doesn't have 7-11s or Gordon doesn't wear a jock strap in public the day before the game... Wait wait wait... Got it... Not a slurpee... I'd have believed it had he been buying Doritos or other munchies... Slurpees seem like more of a codeine kind if thing no?
I hope he was at least buying some Dorritos Loaded, i'll hype those any day.

Fact: Gordon's back. Deal with it. Or not.
Or maybe not.

Agreement on new NFL drug policy stalled.

One problem is that the NFL wants the NFLPA to give the OK for Goodell to discipline players before they have their day in court. Another is noted below.

Two people with knowledge of the negotiations, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the other hold-ups now are issues related to marijuana and how an agreement would impact the statuses of recently suspended players such as Denver Broncos receiver Wes Welke r and Cleveland Browns receiver Josh Gordon
Seems like it isn't a definite that either, or both, (or any) players will have their suspensions retroactively lifted.

Fact: Gordon's back. Deal with it. Or not.
Or maybe not.

Agreement on new NFL drug policy stalled.

One problem is that the NFL wants the NFLPA to give the OK for Goodell to discipline players before they have their day in court. Another is noted below.

Two people with knowledge of the negotiations, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the other hold-ups now are issues related to marijuana and how an agreement would impact the statuses of recently suspended players such as Denver Broncos receiver Wes Welke r and Cleveland Browns receiver Josh Gordon
Seems like it isn't a definite that either, or both, (or any) players will have their suspensions retroactively lifted.
That's pretty much what they've been saying the whole time right? That the players won't agree to the DUI thing.

Gordon appears to be the luckiest on the planet so I expect him to get the DUI plead down to jaywalking.

No clue why the NFL/commish would have an issue waiting for the legal process to play out before issuing discipline.

Seems like it would only be part of the due process of a situation. Even NFL players can end up in situations where an arrest is made without charges being filed or charges are filed but the facts of the case dont support them. Why discipline players in those instances...or fight for the discretionary power to?

If that is a sticking point it would seem to be either a negotiating ploy or a symptom of a larger issue.

No clue why the NFL/commish would have an issue waiting for the legal process to play out before issuing discipline.

Seems like it would only be part of the due process of a situation. Even NFL players can end up in situations where an arrest is made without charges being filed or charges are filed but the facts of the case dont support them. Why discipline players in those instances...or fight for the discretionary power to?

If that is a sticking point it would seem to be either a negotiating ploy or a symptom of a larger issue.
I agree with you, but playin devils advocate, players can try to drag out the legal process (Lynch) or plead down (Rice) to avoid being found guilty, or delay it, for an indeterminate amount of time.

Where would you guys take Gordon if you were drafting in a 12-team / 20-round / PPR league tonight?

I'm new to the FBG forums but have been over in Rotoworld. They also have a 170-page Gordon thread going with the same debate and I wish I had known about this one earlier.

I agree with you, but playin devils advocate, players can try to drag out the legal process (Lynch) or plead down (Rice) to avoid being found guilty, or delay it, for an indeterminate amount of time.
They can, but that is also their legal right I guess.

If the legal system allows it, why should their be any rush to judgement by the league?

I.E. in Lynch's case why should he face any league discipline before it is determined that he actually did what he is accused of?

Where would you guys take Gordon if you were drafting in a 12-team / 20-round / PPR league tonight?

I'm new to the FBG forums but have been over in Rotoworld. They also have a 170-page Gordon thread going with the same debate and I wish I had known about this one earlier.
Around WR 30 for me right now, obviously much higher on good news.

If the legal system allows it, why should their be any rush to judgement by the league?

I.E. in Lynch's case why should he face any league discipline before it is determined that he actually did what he is accused of?
There are many government and corporate jobs that punish employees before DUIs get handled in court. Military people actually get tried twice, and some corporate employees have consequences as well.

There are many government and corporate jobs that punish employees before DUIs get handled in court. Military people actually get tried twice, and some corporate employees have consequences as well.
Don't get me wrong, I understand that is within their potential purview to punish prior to conviction, in the NFLs instance given the PR ramifications their decisions can cause I just don't understand why they would want to do that.

I think it would come across really poorly if, for example they punished Lynch for DUI yet he was found not guilty if his day in court ever comes.

At least to me, it's a little different philosophically than positions that require public or corporate trust.

The NFL's discipline is for being in a job where you're a public face of the company, and going out and getting arrested and bringing the company bad publicity. Which is a much different reason than the legal system's discipline.

Player A might win a case on a legal technicality, yet he deserved to be arrested. Even if he ultimately got out of the legal system's punishment, he acted in a way that arrest was an expectation, and that might be behavior where punishment by his employer would be warranted.

But then looking at it from the player's side... Player B might get arrested for no particular good reason. "Driving while black" for example. If Player A deserves punishment but Player B doesn't and neither are found guilty, we can't use court case outcome to decide it, you'd need someone using their good judgment.

Of course the players don't trust Goodell being the one employing that judgment. So I can see both sides of the argument and both probably have some legitimate points.

Edit: See you posted again while I was typing... yeah, we're on the same page. But if it is established Lynch deserves punishment by the NFL for the arrest, whether he's convicted in the end may not really be relevant. The PR hit happened anyway. So long as it wasn't Lynch not having done anything at all that warranted arrest.

Users who are viewing this thread