Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Matt Waldman

Josh Gordon Everything Thread

It would be as if someone in every league gets a free Calvin Johnson from free agency. Horse s**t.

Not a free Calvin Johnson, a free Josh Gordon. hahaha woohoo

It would be as if someone in every league gets a free Calvin Johnson from free agency. Horse s**t.

I went ahead and banned Gordon for life from all the leagues I commish. I also banned all other players not drafted in the first 5 rounds.

• Like 1

The Gordon case remains tricky as his failed test took place before new league year, which is when grandfathering in new rules would begin

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/510145906659061760

Again, the language in the agreement is key- WIll the new marijuana policy be applied to all players suspended in 2014 (league year), or will it only apply to players who tested positive during the current year? If it's the former, then Gordon will be reinstated immediately. If it's the latter, then we might be screwed.

I don't know...why go through all the negotiations and back-and-forth only to have this still be an issue? It just seems arbitrary.

I agree that the time of positive test is a morally arbitrary factor and hence it's not fair that Gordon remains suspended while, say, Welker is immediately reinstated. However, amnestying players who failed tests in 2013 might open up a can of worms that the NFL doesn't want to deal with, e.g., some players have already served their suspensions in full and might want compensation, etc.

It isn't a can of worms. Anyone who is currently being punished for a rule that no longer exists they should be "set free". If the rule changes the punishment currently being served must be adjusted.

This isn't about retroactively lifting suspensions, it is about looking at players currently being punished for a rule that no longer exists.

The can of worms is the lawsuits the league opens themselves up to over lost wages for upholding a punishment that is no longer valid.

It is more than just Gordon or Welker playing, it is about the income they are losing and they will sue to get paid.

Okay. Then why did those people who were in prison for violating prohibition not immediately freed when it ended? Because they were in prison for breaking a law. Just because the law changed doesn't mean they didn't break it.

Gordon broke a rule. He was punished. If the rule changed AFTERWARDS, Marty McFly didn't pull up in his Delorean and go back in time so Gordon never smoked the dope. He still broke the rule that was in place at that time.

If they didn't want to lose the income, they shouldn't have smoked up or taken Molly/amphetamines/adderal, whatever he took.

It isn't illegal to offer retroactive ameliorative relief in the US, generally those convicted would seek a pardon if the Law changed in their favor. While such a relief would not be guaranteed it isn't impossible and in fact, the US is one if the few Nations that doesn't offer guaranteed retroactive ameliorative relief of overturned laws in the world.

Just Free Josh Gordon already, there is no retroactive or legal can of worms to do so.

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/01/02/no-relief-convicted

Edited by I Am the Stig
  • Like 1

Big load of s**t if Gordon is reinstated.

Pack a diaper.

• Like 3

I'm still trying not to get too excited/optimistic about him being reinstated this season, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the people who don't own him anywhere losing their **** over it.

These kinds of reactions make owning him all the more fun.

• Like 2

Those sweet sweet non-Gordon owning tears. Delicious.

But in all seriousness, I actually used a draft pick on Gordon. It was the last pick in my draft, but there was speculation he could get reduced suspension for a long time, and that gave him value. It's not like he is some unknown who exploded onto the scene that nobody could possibly have guessed, he is a highly talented player.

That being said, I feel REALLY bad for anyone who drafted him hoping for a reduced suspension, released him when the appeal was denied, and then lost him in free agency.

On the other hand, I'm kind of enjoying seeing the Gordon owners getting booted from my leagues or drifting towards the cellar and whining about how he should be freed. I'm a draft n go only type of player though.

But in all seriousness, I actually used a draft pick on Gordon. It was the last pick in my draft, but there was speculation he could get reduced suspension for a long time, and that gave him value. It's not like he is some unknown who exploded onto the scene that nobody could possibly have guessed, he is a highly talented player.

That being said, I feel REALLY bad for anyone who drafted him hoping for a reduced suspension, released him when the appeal was denied, and then lost him in free agency.

He was going in the 7th to 10th in most of my leagues. He hasn't been dropped in any of the IBL leagues (my only leagues with FA moves). Of course I'm talking about leagues with FBG caliber competition in those leagues.

On the other hand, I'm kind of enjoying seeing the Gordon owners getting booted from my leagues or drifting towards the cellar

:unsure:

In week 2?

Edited by One

On the other hand, I'm kind of enjoying seeing the Gordon owners getting booted from my leagues or drifting towards the cellar and whining about how he should be freed. I'm a draft n go only type of player though.

Say what?

So from what I hear and read Gordon would be suspended anywhere from 6-10 games. I assume that is games and not weeks ?? SO if its a 8 game ban he would be back week 10 because week 4 is a bye week?

you could have drafted Gordon, dude :shrug:

Yaknow, I hadn't thought about it that way but you're right that's awesome. Cheers. :banned:

I picked up Gordon for free off WW in 2 leagues on sept 4th...another guy had drafted him but dropped him once his appeal was denied.

In my 2 main leagues I drafted Gordon in the 5th and 7th round so I paid a price for him and was not going to drop him when we all knew he might sue etc. But I suppose I could see why someone might get mad if they dropped him after the league said hes out for the year. But thats the breaks. In another league (play on 2 fun leagues) got him off the WW when another owner dropped him. I am waiting for the Sh*&%T to hit the fan in that league. If its 8-10 games then i dont expect much furor etc but if he were to get 0-6 games I expect the previous owner and other owners to have a fit. In one league

Edited by damageinc

On the other hand, I'm kind of enjoying seeing the Gordon owners getting booted from my leagues or drifting towards the cellar

:unsure:

In week 2?

Survivor style, low man gets the boot and is done for the year.

The other leagues are so competitive that you really had to knock it out of the park to avoid losing ground in the standings.

The only non bb league I play in is actually a 96 teamer where 8 iterations of each player are available. Gordon went before the 10th in all 8 drafts as I recall and hasn't been released in any of them.

Congrats to you guys in leagues where you can/could get him for peanuts.

He was going in the 7th to 10th in most of my leagues. He hasn't been dropped in any of the IBL leagues (my only leagues with FA moves). Of course I'm talking about leagues with FBG caliber competition in those leagues.

Man I loved that league. Very cool setup.

He's still available in my league. Should I drop Trent Richardson for him?

Man I loved that league. Very cool setup.

:goodposting: miss that one a little

my leaguemate who claimed him got a free upgrade to calvin because of all this (traded gordon and dez to me for calvin)

I picked up Gordon for free off WW in 2 leagues on sept 4th...another guy had drafted him but dropped him once his appeal was denied.

That's what I did. Dude that dropped him was NOT happy in the least. Cried foul, the whole deal. I'm commish too and I told him I had no intention whatsoever of dropping him. In another league I had drafted him with my next to last pick. The appeal was denied so I dropped him.I was lucky enough to get him back when there started to be some rumblings.

I went ahead and banned Gordon for life from all the leagues I commish. I also banned all other players not drafted in the first 5 rounds.

Pshaw! I not only banned Josh Gordon, I banned Alex Gordon, Tom Gordon, Flash Gordon and Gordon from Sesame Street. Also Goran Ivanesevic just to be safe.

BTW, I have it on good authority that not only will Gordon be immediately reinstated, but Yahoo will also declare him eligible at QB, TE and D/ST. Oh, and he'll be legally changing his name to Joemarques Webbolston.

Pshaw! I not only banned Josh Gordon, I banned Alex Gordon, Tom Gordon, Flash Gordon and Gordon from Sesame Street. Also Goran Ivanesevic just to be safe.

BTW, I have it on good authority that not only will Gordon be immediately reinstated, but Yahoo will also declare him eligible at QB, TE and D/ST. Oh, and he'll be legally changing his name to Joemarques Webbolston.

Link?

What's fair value for him currently before the announcement?

To a Gordon owner - Calvin

Offered CJ2k and Welker for Patterson and Gordon and was turned down.

Honestly there is no answer to your question because league set-up comes into play. Depth of playoff structure and start date of playoffs matter. Also the competitiveness of your league.

Ertz and a 1st in a dynasty I'm in

In all seriousness, I'm kind of hoping for anything other than the rumored 8-game ban. If he comes back in the next week or two, great, if he's still out for the season, I'll move on. But it's going to be tough to navigate all the bye weeks with a dead bench spot.

Link?

Sure thing. Here you go.

Spiller Benjamin Bryce brown for Gordon James white and latimer. Dynasty

Honestly there is no answer to your question because league set-up comes into play. Depth of playoff structure and start date of playoffs matter. Also the competitiveness of your league.

:lmao:

In all seriousness, I'm kind of hoping for anything other than the rumored 8-game ban. If he comes back in the next week or two, great, if he's still out for the season, I'll move on. But it's going to be tough to navigate all the bye weeks with a dead bench spot.

In this type of senario, if Gordon gets a 6-8 or 10 game suspension and you dont have bench room or cant navigate the bye weeks etc, you trade Gordon. You get more if he is back after 6 games and you get less if he is back after 10 games. if its just 6 games you can get a #1 WR for him. or 2 really good players and if its 10 games you can get a really good WR2 or RB2 . But thats a good plan if the suspension (if there is one) is not feasable for a team. I mean if its a 6 game suspension you can probally get a Dez Bryant or B marshall for him .

It's okay, you would've been turned down even if you didn't ask for Gordon.

• Like 1

lol, that is a horrible trade offer, but why not offer it I guess. Someone might accept it

It's okay, you would've been turned down even if you didn't ask for Gordon.

that was my thought too

So from what I hear and read Gordon would be suspended anywhere from 6-10 games. I assume that is games and not weeks ?? SO if its a 8 game ban he would be back week 10 because week 4 is a bye week?

The latest tweet isn't necessarily the most accurate tweet, my friend.

It seems like there will be a vote tomorrow. I am guessing this gets resolved tomorrow.

Beyond that, it is apparent that your guess is as good as anyone else's. Don't take the latest guess as gospel. That mistake had been made about 136 times in this thread alone.

Albert Breer, don't know how wired in he is, but has some pretty definitive statements:

This much I've been told repeatedly: The NFLPA will not put a proposal to a vote without knowing it'll pass overwhelmingly.

Circumstances tomorrow will not be dissimilar to Tuesday night. If the deal is acceptable, they'll vote. There's been progress since then.

The NFLPA got the new proposal from the NFL tonight, and the language issues seem to be worked out. Good chance this is done tomorrow.

Said earlier union won't vote on drug policy unless they know it'll pass. I'm told a vote is expected. Story from @RapSheet and me coming.

New drug policy, if approved, would include higher marijuana threshold. But every current suspension reviewed individually. Including Gordon

In this type of senario, if Gordon gets a 6-8 or 10 game suspension and you dont have bench room or cant navigate the bye weeks etc, you trade Gordon. You get more if he is back after 6 games and you get less if he is back after 10 games. if its just 6 games you can get a #1 WR for him. or 2 really good players and if its 10 games you can get a really good WR2 or RB2 . But thats a good plan if the suspension (if there is one) is not feasable for a team. I mean if its a 6 game suspension you can probally get a Dez Bryant or B marshall for him .

lol I assume this is satire?

I don't think there's any way you could get a Marshall or Bryant for him. Those guys are their likely #1 WR. They can't go 6 games without anyone.