What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (4 Viewers)

His defense was that he was told that he could not drink until the end of the season. The Browns season had ended. But the NFL considers the end of the season in February.
Yep - I'd read that. 

And if it were my career on the line, I would know exactly the date that I was clear to have a drink. 

And I wouldn't drink until after that date. 

I'm reasonably certain that Gordon signed a document that had the date on it. I'm also reasonably certain his agent & attorney have copies of a document with that date on it.

so there ya go - set a reminder in your phone, "Siri, set reminder for February 1st, 2017....you can now have a drink".

Yet somehow he drank before the date in his agreement. Whether it was based on a poor assumption on Gordon's part or not seems irrelevant and a bit of a hollow excuse. 

I hate that he's being punished so severely for something 75% of society does on a daily basis, but unfortunately you have to look at his situation in a vacuum since he's part of a very small % of society that plays professional football for a living in the NFL, and under the NFL's rules. 

Yep - I'd read that. 

And if it were my career on the line, I would know exactly the date that I was clear to have a drink. 

And I wouldn't drink until after that date. 

I'm reasonably certain that Gordon signed a document that had the date on it. I'm also reasonably certain his agent & attorney have copies of a document with that date on it.

so there ya go - set a reminder in your phone, "Siri, set reminder for February 1st, 2017....you can now have a drink".

Yet somehow he drank before the date in his agreement. Whether it was based on a poor assumption on Gordon's part or not seems irrelevant and a bit of a hollow excuse. 

I hate that he's being punished so severely for something 75% of society does on a daily basis, but unfortunately you have to look at his situation in a vacuum since he's part of a very small % of society that plays professional football for a living in the NFL, and under the NFL's rules. 
You also may not have an alcohol use disorder the way Gordon probably does. If he does have an illness then it goes beyond just a choice.

You also may not have an alcohol use disorder the way Gordon probably does. If he does have an illness then it goes beyond just a choice.
Well, obviously yes. 

Which seems to validate the reason for him not being in the league. 

Folks in this topic have asserted that it was "only a beer", or have otherwise minimized the offenses Gordon committed. I was more responding to that line of thinking. "It was only a drink" or "he just smoked a little weed" - ok, if that's the case then he made a terrible choice to do so knowing he would be tested.

On the other hand, and more likely; if it's an addiction to booze & pot, then he legitimately has a problem that only rehab and time away will solve, if ever (see my prior post about addicts always being addicts and never being "fixed". Any 5, 10, or 20-year chip holder in AA will tell you they're a sober addict. They'll never say they're fixed.)

So he's either an addict who compulsively drank, or a guy who made a terrible choice to drink without knowing or disregrding the timeline conditions/restrictions. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The candle is flickering...

Not looking so positive for the Gordon hopefuls.  Would have thought there would be some chatter given it's now the day before he is supposed to leave rehab.  

Not a single peep from the Browns front office, which is an ominous sign.
Why is it ominous that the Browns are not commenting about a guy that's suspended and still in rehab?

What would you expect? A press conference to discuss a situation that has not changed in months, and there's nothing to say about?

The candle is flickering...

Not looking so positive for the Gordon hopefuls.  Would have thought there would be some chatter given it's now the day before he is supposed to leave rehab.  

Not a single peep from the Browns front office, which is an ominous sign.
First he needs to get out of rehab tomorrow.  Then Josh Gordon needs to apply for reinstatement.  Until then the Browns have nothing to do with the process.  They should be focused on other things today and they are I am sure.

What leads you to believe he has an alcohol abuse problem? AFAIK, the guy had a single beer on a flight after the Browns season was over, not aware that he had to wait until the official end to the NFL season, and was then piss tested and the alcohol showed up. Based on that information, there's no reason to believe he has an alcohol "problem."

What leads you to believe he has an alcohol abuse problem? AFAIK, the guy had a single beer on a flight after the Browns season was over, not aware that he had to wait until the official end to the NFL season, and was then piss tested and the alcohol showed up. Based on that information, there's no reason to believe he has an alcohol "problem."
I mean, you believe that?  Okay.  I said probably because I have no idea.  But more likely than that story is Josh Gordon was having trouble controlling his drinking and cannabis use. He IS in rehab. 

Gonna get killed for this but can't we say "drug test" or "urine test"? 

Same for people insisting on calling other human beings "trash" or "garbage" etc. when they don't perform to a certain level on our magic football teams, or when they prove to be fallible human beings like the rest of us.

There's nothing wrong with trying to be a little dignified at times.

First he needs to get out of rehab tomorrow.  Then Josh Gordon needs to apply for reinstatement.  Until then the Browns have nothing to do with the process.  They should be focused on other things today and they are I am sure.
Well, yeah, of course he has to get out of rehab and then apply.  But I think the fact that the Browns haven't even mentioned that they're hopeful for reinstatement and to have him rejoin the team is not a good sign.  They have said in the past that they were moving on, then they later said they may change their mind.  Best option for his long term future would be to get released and sign with somebody else. 

Merely saying that it doesn't look like he's going to be on the field anytime soon.  He had mentioned he'd be out there week 3 for the Colts game.  Obviously not going to happen.

Well, yeah, of course he has to get out of rehab and then apply.  But I think the fact that the Browns haven't even mentioned that they're hopeful for reinstatement and to have him rejoin the team is not a good sign.  They have said in the past that they were moving on, then they later said they may change their mind.  Best option for his long term future would be to get released and sign with somebody else. 

Merely saying that it doesn't look like he's going to be on the field anytime soon.  He had mentioned he'd be out there week 3 for the Colts game.  Obviously not going to happen.
I think you are reading way way to much into a non comment, but I suspect you already knew that.

There is zero upside in the Browns commenting on this until the appropriate time.  

Not seeing any actual update in that link, and nothing to substantiate a "better than 50-50 chance".

Oddly they put "better than 50-50 chance" in quotes, yet fail to attribute it to anyone. 

They specify it's not from the NFL. 

So.....................?

if it were legit I might even add him. but uh; yeah. 

Not seeing any actual update in that link, and nothing to substantiate a "better than 50-50 chance".

Oddly they put "better than 50-50 chance" in quotes, yet fail to attribute it to anyone. 

They specify it's not from the NFL. 

So.....................?

if it were legit I might even add him. but uh; yeah. 
They quoted it from this guy, who I've never heard of before.

So the Browns only have 52 players on the roster and the league "rumor" will decide tomorrow if Josh Gordon can be reinstated. Coincidence?

The best I can say in regards to Gordon is, if you have a marginal bench player who can easily be replaced by someone on the ww take a shot on Gordon. If there is anything to these rumors (I kind of doubt there is) we will start to hear some news over the next few days...I would never drop anyone of even mediocre value in the hopes that the phantom of the NFL returns.

The best I can say in regards to Gordon is, if you have a marginal bench player who can easily be replaced by someone on the ww take a shot on Gordon. If there is anything to these rumors (I kind of doubt there is) we will start to hear some news over the next few days...I would never drop anyone of even mediocre value in the hopes that the phantom of the NFL returns.
The challenge being, this is Week 2. Hopefully people drafted well enough to not have a garbage player on their bench.  

The challenge being, this is Week 2. Hopefully people drafted well enough to not have a garbage player on their bench.  
That’s true, but there are a lot of people who drafted poorly or have had some injuries where taking a long shot on a player of Gordon’s elite talent might make sense. Again, I doubt there is anything to these rumors, but it’s not completely out of the realm of possibility.

For what it’s worth, I did notice that Sigmund Bloom on Twitter suggested that if you had the bench space to add Gordon he was “open to the idea"

So the Browns only have 52 players on the roster and the league "rumor" will decide tomorrow if Josh Gordon can be reinstated. Coincidence?
Is this true that the Browns are short one roster spot? Probably reading too much into it

Assuming most teams have either 5 running backs or five wide receivers, I have to imagine that at the bottom of the depth for most teams, there is a player that you could easily project to be replaceable by five to ten other players on the waiver wire. why wouldn't you bet on Gordon for a couple of weeks, because the potential for a league dominating move is there. In a very short bench League it obviously doesn't make sense, but otherwise there are 6 players on my roster this week ago won't be counting and 6 players on my roster next week won't be counting. Why shouldn't one of those non starters be Gordon? If it doesn't work out, it's unlikely to cause irreversible harm to my team. 

Word of caution: I used speech recognition to write the post and every time I said roster it spelled Rasta (and I'm not from the NE)...maybe foreshadowing?

Assuming most teams have either 5 running backs or five wide receivers, I have to imagine that at the bottom of the depth for most teams, there is a player that you could easily project to be replaceable by five to ten other players on the waiver wire. why wouldn't you bet on Gordon for a couple of weeks, because the potential for a league dominating move is there. In a very short bench League it obviously doesn't make sense, but otherwise there are 6 players on my roster this week ago won't be counting and 6 players on my roster next week won't be counting. Why shouldn't one of those non starters be Gordon? If it doesn't work out, it's unlikely to cause irreversible harm to my team. 

Word of caution: I used speech recognition to write the post and every time I said roster it spelled Rasta (and I'm not from the NE)...maybe foreshadowing?
Assuming he gets reinstated and assuming Cleveland keeps him you also need to assume that Kizer can get him the ball. Those odds are pretty thin.

Assuming he gets reinstated and assuming Cleveland keeps him you also need to assume that Kizer can get him the ball. Those odds are pretty thin.
Sure, but almost zero acquisition cost and almost zero opportunity cost in terms of the worst flex player on most players rosters. If the acquisition cost is a hefty chunk of FAAB or there are very short benches, it doesn't make sense, but he's only 26 and we saw a more unpolished and less mature version of him be the one of the best FF WRs

Sure, but almost zero acquisition cost and almost zero opportunity cost in terms of the worst flex player on most players rosters. If the acquisition cost is aFAAB or there are very short benches, it doesn't make sense, but he's only 26 and we saw a more unpolished and less mature version of him be the one of the best FF WRs
You convinced me....

I hate myself. 

I just added Gordon in both of my leagues. 

I convinced myself that the lottery ticket is worth more than Tyrod Taylor (who'll be there to cover my bye if I need him, I'm sure) in one league, and Jeremy Hill (my plodding, worthless late round RB6) in my other league. 

We'll see what the week ahead brings. Were it not for the hand injury to Coleman, I would never have done it. 

Cost like $9 total too. 

:wall:

Somewhere @Soulfly3 is laughing last, and best.

i cannot bring myself to invest emotionally in this add. He cost nothing (except $9), so if nothing is what he brings me, I got what I paid for (minus the $9.)

... assume that Kizer can get him the ball....
In 2013, he had 1646 yards and 9tds playing for a 4-12 team, with 8games from Jason Campbell,  5 from Weeden and 3 from Hoyer. I think it's fair to say that Kizer looks like he's about eight parts Campbell, five parts Weeden, and three parts Hoyer so far,  but with more poise than all three of them. I don't think Kizer is a roadblock to his success,  but certainly there are risks from NFL, Browns mgmt, and an out of practice Gordon.

guy burned me last year, not again 
Fast forward to week 15.

Josh Gordon has been playing since week 8, rusty at first, he devlelops chemisty with Kizer over the next few weeks. 

You fight all year to make the playoffs, And end up facing the team who picked up Josh Gordon today. 

Gordon puts up a line of 7/158/2 with a 79 yard TD, knocking you out of the playoffs.

:shark:

Fast forward to week 15.

Josh Gordon has been playing since week 8, rusty at first, he devlelops chemisty with Kizer over the next few weeks. 

You fight all year to make the playoffs, And end up facing the team who picked up Josh Gordon today. 

Gordon puts up a line of 7/158/2 with a 79 yard TD, knocking you out of the playoffs.

:shark:
Holding Golliday at the end of the bench.  It's tempting, but pass 

Holding Golliday at the end of the bench.  It's tempting, but pass 
Agree. If you have a player that you believe in more or who provides you more entertainment, stick with him. It is about having fun. I have a solid WR room with Jordy, Tyreek and Golden and good flex options with Carson, Kamara, and Cohen. I could use the Gordon roster spot for for depth at TE, but depth at TE doesn't offer much marginal value, and Gordon could. 

This is a non-story.  I want to believe as much as all of you, but that article in the link is garbage.  It provides no new information except some source we've never heard of.  The comments by the Browns front office could have been made weeks ago as well, not today.

This is a non-story.  I want to believe as much as all of you, but that article in the link is garbage.  It provides no new information except some source we've never heard of.  The comments by the Browns front office could have been made weeks ago as well, not today.
Shhhhhhh....let us have our moment. 

OK gang...............its the 21st.

Even as one of the biggest Josh Gordon homers in existence, I vote if we don't hear anything later today, or he isn't reinstated within the next 24 hours, lets lock and close this BS thread forever......and never start another.

Its getting to a point where its just cluttering up the first page of the Shark Pool, and if he isn't reinstated today, then I figure the odds of Josh Gordon coming back and playing are pretty close to the return of Torry Holt.

There aren't any "Torry Holt Returns"  threads lighting up the front page is it?????

TZM

Users who are viewing this thread