What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (12 Viewers)

Wr43 on the week. Mid range wr4 in you play in leagues that start 4 wr.  Of course there are 4 teams still to play
43 WR on the week lol it’s the first game of the year and Gordon was used sparingly. Trust me, his incredible TD grab was an indication of what we will see on a regular basis moving forward. By week 3-4, I fully expect him to be a viable fantasy WR2 in all formats 

43 WR on the week lol it’s the first game of the year and Gordon was used sparingly. Trust me, his incredible TD grab was an indication of what we will see on a regular basis moving forward. By week 3-4, I fully expect him to be a viable fantasy WR2 in all formats 
Who's throwing him the ball in week 3-4? Because if it's the guy who underthrew him yesterday I'm not that's a viable statement. I'm not sure the rook will do better but I'm pretty sure he won't underthrow one of the best targets in the NFL right now.

I think folks are missing the point I was trying to make.  It was one game, where he wasn't suppose to start, in a huge storm with wind and rain, with a defense that was pummeling the QB.  He didn't have any decent passes thrown his way - his QB had less than 200 yards passing in a game that went as long as rules will allow...with only 15 completions. 

Crappy QB. Rainstorm. Limited reps.

Good chance this is his worst game all year. Once they start getting blown out, wait for Captain Garbage Time to do his thing.

For those keeping score at home...12, 16, 10, 4, 15, 9 over his last 6 games.  That's would have been good for WR40 on a ppg basis last year or tied with Jermaine Kearse who was a free in about half of my leagues last year.

List of Josh Gordon excuses...

1. His QB sucks.  I guess this could be a half dozen excuses if you list each QB.

2. The weather was bad.  It was cold.  It was windy.  The sun was in his eyes.

3. He played a tough D.

4. Cleveland was to competitive, didn't get garbage time points.

5. Coach sucks.

6. His worse game of the year, defiant outlier.

7. QB overthrew him.

8. QB under threw him.

For those keeping score at home...12, 16, 10, 4, 15, 9 over his last 6 games.  That's would have been good for WR40 on a ppg basis last year or tied with Jermaine Kearse who was a free in about half of my leagues last year.
Can't argue this ...Not at all . But it's not about that. It's about belief and hope and when you took him in the 5-6 round you were hoping. He gets a pass first week..the next two will show if Gordonism ..is real or not. Some feel the chocolate factory is not that far away.

Can't argue this ...Not at all . But it's not about that. It's about belief and hope and when you took him in the 5-6 round you were hoping. He gets a pass first week..the next two will show if Gordonism ..is real or not. Some feel the chocolate factory is not that far away.
I'm with you.  I moved up to secure him at the 4/5 turn.  That said, I benched him this week for Aghorlor and the 4.8 difference in scoring this week will net me two additional wins that would have been losses in the IBL where we play 7 games each week.  Won 2 games 111 to 107.  Learned last year that benching Gordon = wins.

I'm with you.  I moved up to secure him at the 4/5 turn.  That said, I benched him this week for Aghorlor and the 4.8 difference in scoring this week will net me two additional wins that would have been losses in the IBL where we play 7 games each week.  Won 2 games 111 to 107.  Learned last year that benching Gordon = wins.
It's a new year and a "new" Gordon....His leash is short..for me anyways..I have noted your input.

Dumb ### me traded Sanders to acquire the pick to select Gordon.  I don't even want to know want Sanders posted yesterday.  I know it was good enough to win money in a dfs contest, but I literally have no idea how many points he posted.

Dumb ### me traded Sanders to acquire the pick to select Gordon.  I don't even want to know want Sanders posted yesterday.  I know it was good enough to win money in a dfs contest, but I literally have no idea how many points he posted.
**COUGH31PTSCOUGH**

1st game was a wtf? with the weather ...gotta see a level playing field before saying.

List of Josh Gordon excuses...

1. His QB sucks.  I guess this could be a half dozen excuses if you list each QB.

2. The weather was bad.  It was cold.  It was windy.  The sun was in his eyes.

3. He played a tough D.

4. Cleveland was to competitive, didn't get garbage time points.

5. Coach sucks.

6. His worse game of the year, defiant outlier.

7. QB overthrew him.

8. QB under threw him.
9. Was too busy posting under his Soulfly3 handle on FBGs to properly study the playbook.

It doesn't matter much because he barely played but why is Hue so upset that he started?
Because for the week leading up to the game Hue was adamant that Gordon would not start then WALA! he's out there for the first play unbeknownst to Hue. Makes Hue look like a bigger ### than usual and makes Todd Haley look like he's going behind Hue's back. According to Hue they talked, worked it out and moved on.

Wr43 on the week. Mid range wr4 in you play in leagues that start 4 wr.  Of course there are 4 teams still to play
There are still two games yet to be played so that will likely change.

How many of the 42 in front of him were in starting lineups this week? How many who finished behind him were?

It's easy to view starting him as a mistake through the lens of total points scored but that makes it seem like magic Football is a game of complete information.

Anyone start Dante Pettis over Gordon? If so you hit an inside straight on the river. Congrats. Anyone bench him for Baldwin, Hogan or Corey Davis? Oops.

Lack of QB is the problem. Gotta wait until Mayfield gets in there.
I dunno man. Other freak wrs find ways to be effective with garbage QB play. Juju put stats up yesterday with Big Ben playing far worse than tyrod. Watkins did decent with tyrod in buffalo. Larry Fitzgerald manages to put his stamp on a game regardless of who throws him the ball. Yes- better qb play would certainly help but let’s not bend over backwards to make every excuse for this dude.  A player with his skills cannot disappear for like 58-59 minutes of a 60 minute game. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyrod completed 15 passes. Gordon caught 1 of 3; Landry only caught 7 of 15. So it's not exactly like Gordon is the only one who didn't perform well in the passing game for Cleveland.

Everyone needs to relax, yesterday wasn't bad and everything is going the be fine.

Seems to me the game plan was ball control and using Gordon to clear out DBs and safeties so everyone else had room to work.

Makes sense.

Seems to me the game plan was ball control and using Gordon to clear out DBs and safeties so everyone else had room to work.

Makes sense.
Agree.

He got through the game unscathed.

And now he gets to face the NO pass D that made Fitzy look like A. Rodgers.

If Gordon isn't unleashed and effective next week, well, then I will be chicken little.

Why did they then? Some teams had their D ready...why not N.O.? 
Not sure, it happens.  But counting on them giving up 48 points and a million yards per week is a mistake.  Just like I wouldn't count on Fitzpatrick to be anything other than he has been for his entire career and I wouldn't count on Baltimore scoring 47 points and Flacco throwing three TDs every week.  

Not sure, it happens.  But counting on them giving up 48 points and a million yards per week is a mistake.  Just like I wouldn't count on Fitzpatrick to be anything other than he has been for his entire career and I wouldn't count on Baltimore scoring 47 points and Flacco throwing three TDs every week.  
Then what's the difference? Coaching ? Culture? ...Gotta be something ..Right? BB pulls it off with less almost every year. Not that I'm a PAT honk. far from it.

Because it happens.  And The Genius benched his best DB for the Super Bowl.
I get it but not enough for me the question still looms ....the chargers start out slow every year as well....no matter who is leading...wtf? every game counts last I checked.

Because it happens.  And The Genius benched his best DB for the Super Bowl.
Yep. For weed, no less. 

I wouldn't buy the B'More offense or bet against NO on defense. The numbers last year and the turnover don't speak to it. It could indeed happen, but I doubt it.  

I get it but not enough for me the question still looms ....the chargers start out slow every year as well....no matter who is leading...wtf? every game counts last I checked.

Dude.  It's the NFL.  Chit happens.  There are no guarantees or certainties.  Well, other than NE winning the AFC East.  Random, bizarre, inexplicable stuff happens every week.  There's really nothing more to it, than that.

Chaka said:
Buncha Chicken Littles in here.
No kidding. I get that people for whatever reason think week 1 is an indicator of things to come, but its just one game, that was played in awful weather.  Pretty sure Roethlisberger isn't going to have 60 turnovers.

Lack of QB is the problem. Gotta wait until Mayfield gets in there.
He set the world on fire in 2013 with Brandon Weedan, Jason Campbell & Brian Hoyer throwing to him. Bad QB play is not his problem right now.

He was a square peg in a round hole this week. Now that we've gotten past the "he won't start, he's on a pitch count BS" and he becomes more familiar with Tyrod I expect his numbers/looks to improve but you gotta remember, Jarvis Landry is like a security blanket for Tyrod and who he has worked with over the last 5 months. Gonna take a little bit to develop that rapport with Gordon. I'd force at least 5-7 balls his way every game regardless. Just throw it up there, he's going to come down with 3/4's of them.

Jarvis Landry is like a security blanket for Tyrod and who he has worked with over the last 5 months. 
The only opponent that can cover Gordon consistently is his own teammates' trust in where he'll be on the field. If you're not looking someone's way, might as well chalk it up to blanket coverage. 

This isn't an excuse. One knew this was one of the risks of drafting Gordon while he was missing camp.  

No MOOD can overcome a connection with a timing teammate.  

Didn't Gordon participate in the entire off-season program before training camp? He wasn't suspended or injured.
No, first he wasn't cleared by the league. Then once reinstated I think he took himself out for "personal reasons". 

He wasn't playing in the preseason for the same. 

No, first he wasn't cleared by the league. Then once reinstated I think he took himself out for "personal reasons". 

He wasn't playing in the preseason for the same. 
That was the training camp thing that the league allegedly had to clear him for. He played the last five games last season and AFAIK he participated in OTAs and off season activities. Was there an incident between the end of last season and training camp?

That was the training camp thing that the league allegedly had to clear him for. He played the last five games last season and AFAIK he participated in OTAs and off season activities. Was there an incident between the end of last season and training camp?
I thought I’d read he was missing camp this year.

found it:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/07/23/browns-josh-gordon-missing-training-camp

The Browns are set to report to training camp on Thursday and placed Gordon on the non-football illness reserve list until he is ready to return to the team.

“I will not be in Cleveland for the start of training camp,” Gordon wrote on Twitter. “Rest assured this too is a part of my overall health and treatment plan. I appreciate the awesome support I have received from teammates, friends, fans, and the Brown’s organization. Just like you, I am excited to start the season and I have every intention of being ready and available to join my teammates soon to help bring winning football to our fans.

Users who are viewing this thread