What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Doug Baldwin (3 Viewers)

The sucky part is that Baldwin is a guy that's hard to drop by anyone but the truly ballsy.

Yes, at this point he's completely unstartable. And his trade value is absolute zero -- and I mean that literally. Baldwin is at that state at which the enthalpy and entropy of his cooled-off game has reached their absolute minimum value.

But given that both Baldwin and Wilson have typically started slow and warmed up in the second half of the season, it would be hard to jettison Baldwin only to see him become productive down the stretch for your opponents. 

Don't get me wrong, at this point Baldwin looks useless, and there is tons of risk that may limit his potential all year -- the SEA pass offense looks solidly stuck between gears, and the fact that Baldwin came into the season ailing and is banged up even more means there is that much more of a chance that injury hampers his ability to contribute, let alone get back anywhere near his past form.

But I think we have no choice but to either drop or hold in the hopes he, Wilson, and the rest of the squad right their passing game. 

As for me, I'm not so gutsy as to drop him on the wire just yet.

1 target. 

UGH.

Anybody watch this game? What the heck is going on?

I know that the LAR's best cornerback is actually their slot guy (and I forget his name). Was he erased? Or was this a situation where a) Wilson just wasn't looking at him, and/or b) Baldwin couldn't gain any  separation because of his knee(s)?

I thought after last week he'd be highly involved in a game of catchup. Nope.
Probably a mix of your point about NRC and Hilts’ summary of the game. Plan appeared to be to run and they were making holes in the run game most of the day.

I haven’t seen the stats so I could be proven wrong, but I would imagine LAR is tough on slot guys both bc of who they have to defend the slot WR and who they have on the outside with Talib out.

Picked him up off the wire so only investment is a bench spot but was really expecting a whole lot more last week. ALMOST started him over Kupp/Landry. Safe to say he will remain on the bench for the foreseeable future. 

Wanted to drop him today for Robby but didn’t pull the trigger.

In the short term he has a soft matchup with Oakland, but then a bye, Slay, the chargers, and rams again.

long term he plays SF and KC weeks 15 & 16 which is the only reason he’s still on my bench. 

TimmyG said:
Wanted to drop him today for Robby but didn’t pull the trigger.

In the short term he has a soft matchup with Oakland, but then a bye, Slay, the chargers, and rams again.

long term he plays SF and KC weeks 15 & 16 which is the only reason he’s still on my bench. 
Probably the right call. Baldwin played 88% of his team's snaps vs. 52% for Robby. Also, I'll take targets from Wilson over targets from Darnold. 

I played against Baldwin last week so I watch that game closely like many. He was out there a lot and is a fantastic blocker but 1 target? 1 yard? I expected bad but that bad? That is an anomaly if I have ever seen it. Sometimes that happens to even the very best players in the game let a lone someone coming back from bad knees. People not going to see my point but thats kind of the point of how it hits the very best...the year Barry ran for 2k, he started off running for 53 yards total in the first 2 games before rushing for 100+ in every other game. He also ran for 1 yard on 5 carries in a random game his rookie year. Baldwin is no Barry and never will be, but goes to the point that the very best even suffer from strange random anomalys. 1 catch for 1 yard on 1 target playing 88% of snaps? The run was working and we now teams stick with what is working.

If Baldwin's owner in your league is on the verge of cutting him he feels like a buy (very) low to me.

There is tons of negative sentiment about his injuries but he actually looks healthy on the field. Seattle's conservative offense is definitely hindering him but he's really only played 2 games. That's way too small of a sample to greatly adjust his value. Also I'm not sure Seattle will be able to maintain such a run heavy offense moving forward.

Get him dirt cheap and keep him on the bench for now. He could be a great option later if he reverts back to his normal targets and usage.

Doug Baldwin (knee) was limited at Wednesday's practice.

Baldwin's knee has been an issue all year, though he's mostly played through it. With Tyler Lockett and David Moore hogging most of the Seahawks' red-zone targets, Baldwin makes for an uninspiring WR3. He gets the Chargers at home in Week 9.

Source: John Boyle on Twitter 

Oct 31 - 7:37 PM

His target share is fine. The problem is Seattle hasn't needed to throw. Wilson is throwing 20 times a game and they're winning. Maybe this week against the Chargers pushes then to start passing a lot more. If Wilson's attempts go up I think Baldwin will be the primary beneficiary. 

I can’t have any setbacks this week...itsbye week Armageddon already...may as well just chalk up an L anyway.  

I'm sooooo close to dropping him but I admit his name and where I drafted him (3rd) is giving me pause.
I'm with you here. So close to dropping him as well. His stats have been nothing, but every site I check for ROS rankings they have him in the 25-30 range. I'm just not seeing it.

KingPrawn said:
I'm with you here. So close to dropping him as well. His stats have been nothing, but every site I check for ROS rankings they have him in the 25-30 range. I'm just not seeing it.
They think russell is gonna come on in the second half. we will see..

Hilts said:
Maybe this week against the Chargers pushes then to start passing a lot more
They probably will pass more, but the Chargers have good corners. In particular, slot corner Des King is one of the best in the league, and he will probably match up a lot against Baldwin since Baldwin plays about 65% of his snaps in the slot.

I'm done with him.  Shipped him and a 2019 6th round pick to a tanking 0-8 team in a 12 person, 2 keeper league for Watkins, Chicago D, and a 2019 11th.

I need wins now to stay in the playoff hunt.... and when I made the trade I thought Tyreek was going to be out 1-3 weeks...?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting Baldwin with confidence in the one dynasty league where I own him.

Oh wait, should I mention that I'm in last place in that league and gunning for the 1.1 draft slot, so Baldwin is the perfect "he's tanking but not obviously tanking" kind of starting WR that I'm looking for.

• Smile
Reactions: ATB
Dammit. Was hoping for a clean start -- otherwise will have to rely on Amari Cooper, and/or adding a third D off the wire to potentially get more than BAL or NYJ might (such as DAL) -- every point matters in the race for the playoffs.

Happened to end up on my dynasty/keeper team as a throw in a trade, now I'm trying to figure out what to do with him. Don't care much about ROS, but do you guys think he's got something left in the tank once he can get healthy in the offseason or has he fallen off a cliff? Hard to tell if it's age and or just the knee. 

Happened to end up on my dynasty/keeper team as a throw in a trade, now I'm trying to figure out what to do with him. Don't care much about ROS, but do you guys think he's got something left in the tank once he can get healthy in the offseason or has he fallen off a cliff? Hard to tell if it's age and or just the knee. 
In dynasty, I don't see Baldwin as anything more than a "hold". He was consistently a "solid" WR2 for the past few years, so I think we need to see the rest of this year if it's an injury recovery thing, or a true fallen off a cliff thing. He'll be dangerously close to the cut line in August in my Keep-12 league.

Doug Baldwin (groin) did not practice Wednesday.

It's a new injury for Baldwin after he'd previously been on injury reports with a knee issue. Baldwin played his normal allotment (89%) of snaps last week against the Chargers, nabbing all four of his targets for 77 yards. As of now, we're going to assume this is nothing much and wait for a Thursday update.

Nov 7 - 7:14 PM

Guy might be a ww casualty to cover Gostkowski’s bye week next week. 

Woth OBJ, Boyd, Ridley, and MVS...Baldwin saw my lineup only this past week to cover byes...not sure he sees my lineup again and I may even get him back.

Faust said:
Doug Baldwin (groin) did not practice Wednesday.

It's a new injury for Baldwin after he'd previously been on injury reports with a knee issue. Baldwin played his normal allotment (89%) of snaps last week against the Chargers, nabbing all four of his targets for 77 yards. As of now, we're going to assume this is nothing much and wait for a Thursday update.

Nov 7 - 7:14 PM
So, he has issues in both knees, an offense that barely throws the ball, and now a groin injury to boot?

Honestly, I think he may now be in the "safe to drop outright" category.

Doug Baldwin - WR -  Seahawks

Doug Baldwin (groin) will play in Week 10 against the Rams.

Baldwin was promptly removed from Seattle's injury report on Friday and is good to go on Sunday against the Rams. Teams have typically exploited the Rams' defense on the outside, which spells a better afternoon for Tyler Lockett and David Moore. Even so, Baldwin should garner volume if this divisional tilt becomes a high-scoring affair. He's a high-end WR3 in Los Angeles Sunday.

Source: John Boyle on Twitter 

Nov 9 - 4:34 PM

How are we feeling about our Dougie? Supposedly painless for the first time in a long time and Wilson is finally looking like the QB1 of old. 

Think we can see their chemistry start to hit its stride down the stretch for the FF playoffs?

How are we feeling about our Dougie? Supposedly painless for the first time in a long time and Wilson is finally looking like the QB1 of old. 

Think we can see their chemistry start to hit its stride down the stretch for the FF playoffs?
Wish there was some kind of logic why he would perform well vs. other WRs out of the slot tonight. Waffling between him and C. Carson right now.

Baldwin looking good out there -- speedy, sharp cuts, getting looked for. Good to see that he isn't looking as tentative or seemingly limited by knees etc.

As an aside, I've watched Baldwin for years -- surprised to only realize now how fairly undersized a receiver he is. Listed as 5'11 189 but have a feeling he's shorter and lighter than that.

He has been open and looked good so far (other than going backwards in a short pass rather than getting a first down).

I ended up dropping him to cover Gostikowskis bye...I may be able to get him back...but may be looking at a injury handcuff like Spencer’s Ware. (Have Beckham, Boyd, Ridley, and Valdez-Scantling).  Another MVS dud and he could be my drop for Baldwin to return if he keeps looking good.

And Wilson is targeting Baldwin a lot.

Doug Baldwin caught 7-of-10 targets for 52 yards and a touchdown in the Seahawks' Week 11 win over the Packers.

Baldwin finally scored his first touchdown of the season, but it was not easy. Baldwin was wide open for a 21-yard score in the first quarter, but Russell Wilson flat missed him. The two then narrowly failed to connect in the end zone on a six-yarder in the second quarter before finally getting it right on the next play. Tonight was Baldwin's first 10-target game of the season. That won't happen often in the Seahawks' run-heavy offense, though Baldwin has now cleared five catches in back-to-back games. He will be a WR3 for Week 12 against the Panthers.

11.20 standard league last night. 

Not a bad night, at all. Helped my fantasy team out on bye week for the Pats.  

I'm glad I held onto him. This is the kind of game I was hoping for when I traded for him. 8 targets midway through the 2nd quarter! It wasn't like this game was really a shootout either, pretty close the entire time. Only 2 targets in the 2nd half was a little frustrating but I can definitely see him making a decent bounce back the rest of the season. Sure, they play SF twice which may end up being snoozers. Besides that they have Carolina and Minnesota who can both score pts through the air, then comes week 16 against...KANSAS CITY!

Learned my lesson also benching him for MVS.  He's locked in WR3 for me going forward.
I don't think I'd be so quick to lock him into my lineup. I started him last night but only because I saw a high likelihood of a shootout. I don't see another shootout in their future til week 16 vs KC. 

Mayyyybe @CAR or vs MIN, but those could easily become defensive grinds where they abandon the pass.

Although... just to play devil's advocate with myself here lol... Baldwin saw just 2 targets in the second half last night, despite the team still passing. So the majority of his production came in the first half, which bodes well for pretty much any game going forward as they likely won't abandon the pass entirely until the second half.

Bob Condotta‏ @bcondotta

Seahawks GM John Schneider hints on pregame radio show on @710ESPNSeattle that Doug Baldwin will be on a little of a pitch count as he nurses groin injury today. @StacyRost #royalhelping

Users who are viewing this thread