What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Alshon Jeffery - The Bandwagon (3 Viewers)

He's still in w Jason Cambell. Made a nice diving catch on the ground and just had a nice run after the catch the next play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeffery just boxed out Denard Jackson, drew a Pass Interference call with him drapped on his back, and caught the ball.

Next play Jeffery caught a pass between 3 defenders, runs around them for a 34 yard gain.

:excited:

Anyone watching tonight? From twitter and stats, looks like he's in the game early and often... gotta like a rookie WR earning starter reps. How's he lookin?
Caught the only pass thrown his way...20 yard skinny post down to the 1 yardline.Looks good :thumbup:
I checked out the first game, grabbed 4 of 5 targets for 35 yards. I'm afraid of him being on a limited snap count for the bad wr's the bears have not gotten over. Logic would say start Marshall/Jeffry with Sanzenbacher in the slot, that would have been nice to see along with Olsen at TE.
2 nice grabs in the current drive for about 40.

Anyone watching tonight? From twitter and stats, looks like he's in the game early and often... gotta like a rookie WR earning starter reps.

How's he lookin?
Caught the only pass thrown his way...20 yard skinny post down to the 1 yardline.Looks good :thumbup:
I checked out the first game, grabbed 4 of 5 targets for 35 yards. I'm afraid of him being on a limited snap count for the bad wr's the bears have not gotten over. Logic would say start Marshall/Jeffry with Sanzenbacher in the slot, that would have been nice to see along with Olsen at TE.
Kellen Davis.

Anyone watching tonight? From twitter and stats, looks like he's in the game early and often... gotta like a rookie WR earning starter reps.

How's he lookin?
Kellen Davis.
No I really meant Olsen hypothetically.

Anyone watching tonight? From twitter and stats, looks like he's in the game early and often... gotta like a rookie WR earning starter reps. How's he lookin?
Sanzenbacher may not make the team. Marshall, Jeffrey, Bennett, Hester, Weems, and then it's probably Sanzenbacher or Davis or a flyer.A secondary key to the season will be getting Jeffrey out there instead of Hester. Jeffrey is a stud, has hands for days, is strong in the air, and uses his body well to ensure he has a chance to receive the ball. Hester has no idea what to do unless he is wide open with no one around him. It's like he never played the position before he got to the bears. A strong wind displaces him in the air.

rotoworld

Through two preseason games, Bears rookie WR Alshon Jeffery has been targeted eight times and secured seven of them for 97 yards.Jeffery isn't "starting" yet -- Devin Hester got the first-team nod Saturday night against the Redskins -- but the second-round pick has gotten plenty of action with the starting unit and looked like a fixture in red-zone sets. Against Washington, Jeffery hauled in an 18-yard bullet from Jay Cutler in the first quarter, getting open on a skinny post in CB Cedric Griffin's coverage. He also hooked up with Jason Campbell for 34 yards in the second quarter. Aug 19 - 11:08 AM

Sanzenbacher may not make the team. Marshall, Jeffrey, Bennett, Hester, Weems, and then it's probably Sanzenbacher or Davis or a flyer.A secondary key to the season will be getting Jeffrey out there instead of Hester. Jeffrey is a stud, has hands for days, is strong in the air, and uses his body well to ensure he has a chance to receive the ball. Hester has no idea what to do unless he is wide open with no one around him. It's like he never played the position before he got to the bears. A strong wind displaces him in the air.
Sanzenbacher is a better slot than Bennett. The're paying Bennett so he's going to play.

How's he lookin?
Sanzenbacher may not make the team. Marshall, Jeffrey, Bennett, Hester, Weems, and then it's probably Sanzenbacher or Davis or a flyer.

A secondary key to the season will be getting Jeffrey out there instead of Hester. Jeffrey is a stud, has hands for days, is strong in the air, and uses his body well to ensure he has a chance to receive the ball. Hester has no idea what to do unless he is wide open with no one around him. It's like he never played the position before he got to the bears. A strong wind displaces him in the air.
Sanzenbacher is a better slot than Bennett. The're paying Bennett so he's going to play.
Sanzenbacher has horrible hands for a slot WR: http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/17/drop-rate-2011-which-receivers-are-dropping-the-ball/I don't know where Earl Bennett ranks in 2011, but in 2010 he had ZERO drops: http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/23/drop-percentage/

What we are likely to see this year is a rotation of Hester and Jeffrey opposite Marshall, with Bennet manning the slot for the most part. We might see Jeffrey some on the slot but last night he was taking most of his reps on the outside. It won't take long for everyone to see that Jeffrey offers the Bears a far superior weapon split wide than Hester. Then again, #rexisourquarterback.

How's he lookin?
Sanzenbacher may not make the team. Marshall, Jeffrey, Bennett, Hester, Weems, and then it's probably Sanzenbacher or Davis or a flyer.

A secondary key to the season will be getting Jeffrey out there instead of Hester. Jeffrey is a stud, has hands for days, is strong in the air, and uses his body well to ensure he has a chance to receive the ball. Hester has no idea what to do unless he is wide open with no one around him. It's like he never played the position before he got to the bears. A strong wind displaces him in the air.
Sanzenbacher has horrible hands for a slot WR: http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/17/drop-rate-2011-which-receivers-are-dropping-the-ball/I don't know where Earl Bennett ranks in 2011, but in 2010 he had ZERO drops: http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/23/drop-percentage/
Numbers only tell a part of the story. Bennet has sure hands, I know that. Some how Sanzenbacher magically almost match his rec and yard in a lot less time on the field. And scored 3 td's to Bennett's 1 in that limited time as a udrfa. Bennett stood out amongst the worse receiving group in the NFL outside of Jacsonville, that's not saying much.

dear god.

I disagree 100%, Bennett is head shoulders knees and toes, knees and toes above Sanz

Sanzenbacher is a better slot than Bennett. They're paying Bennett so he's going to play.
I disagree 100%, Bennett is head shoulders knees and toes, knees and toes above Sanz
It was just a hypothetical lmao I know it's not popular to say but I think he can do more in the slot then Bennett. Bennett is slow, not so agile but has great hands. He's useful but will never be a high yard or high reception guy. If it wasn't just a thought I'd get into each players contract and really prove pound for pound why I'd rather have Sanzenbacher. Neither of them matter, that's why they got Marshall and the headliner of this thread.

I'm far from a Jeffrey fan, but if he doesn't succeed it has nothing to do with the other WR's and has everything to do with himself. He has the ability to be a starter, the others don't.

Alshon Jeffery - WR - Bears

The Chicago Tribune's Dan Pompei expects rookie WR Alshon Jeffery to receive "a lot of playing time in the near future" if he keeps performing the way he has in the first two preseason games.

Even as the fourth receiver, Jeffery saw action on the opening drive of last week's game. The Bears may continue to "start" Hester as a nod to his experience (or to his inflated salary), but Jeffery could still end up with more snaps than any receiver on the team save Brandon Marshall. Among the most impressive offensive rookies, Jeffery's arrow is pointed up.

Choo-Choo

Alshon Jeffery - WR - BearsThe Chicago Tribune's Dan Pompei expects rookie WR Alshon Jeffery to receive "a lot of playing time in the near future" if he keeps performing the way he has in the first two preseason games.Even as the fourth receiver, Jeffery saw action on the opening drive of last week's game. The Bears may continue to "start" Hester as a nod to his experience (or to his inflated salary), but Jeffery could still end up with more snaps than any receiver on the team save Brandon Marshall. Among the most impressive offensive rookies, Jeffery's arrow is pointed up.Choo-Choo
I agree, he was right up there with Blackmon this time last year. Had a rough year....so did a lot of pro players. It happens. I think he's a true talent.

Well, quite a few GMs fell for that crap too so you can't blame people. Emery is looking like one of the best GMs in the league right now:

Shae is getting bullied but otherwise doing well and making plays. Upshaw is on the verge of getting passed on the DC in Baltimore.

Floyd, Jenkins, Quick, and Hill are either producing negative news or no news. Jeffrey has been really the lone bright spot of the rookie receivers, taken a round later. (except Quick)

plus bringing in Marshall, Campbell, Bush through FA, as well as Moseley on D and then getting that DT from Denver who could actually end up starting (forget the name).

Not bad for a rookie year.

For the record most of the people that post on these boards are better receivers than Sanzenbacher
Lmao let me see you grab 3 TD's in your first 6 games as a UDRFA! I compared him to a guy who has 6 TD's his whole career. Sanding next to Roy Williams he must have looked like Calvin Johnson To you guys. :thumbup: Jeffery should be fine. There's no talent in his way at all, just politics. I'm fine grabbing him after 40+ Wr's go off the board. I'd look for the first opportunity to flip him for someone proven if he gets hot.

ESPN Rumors

Jeffery a starter?3:39PM ETAlshon Jeffery | BearsThe Chicago Bears made some significant moves to address their passing attack this offseason, trading for Jay Cutler's former teammate Brandon Marshall and investing a second-round pick in Alshon Jeffery. We've seen what Marshall can deliver on a professional football field, but what are the expectations for his young associate?"The best way to say it is, he's a Brandon Marshall in the making," Bears CB Charles Tillman indicated recently, per the Chicago Sun-Times. "He has that capability to be as good as Brandon if he continues to have the work ethic and work on ball skills and work to be a better player. ... But he can definitely be on that level."Meanwhile, Dan Pompei of the Chicago Tribune writes that Jeffery could eclipse veterans Devin Hester and Earl Bennett, even if Hester retains the designation of starter:"It's early to be proclaiming Jeffery the next Calvin Johnson, but he has performed exceptionally well. Certainly, better than I expected at this early stage of his career. He still has a lot to learn, though. He is not a polished receiver by any means. But if he keeps performing the way he has performed, I expect he will be getting a lot of playing time in the near future. The Bears might keep Hester as a starter merely because of his veteran status, but it is conceivable that Jeffery may get more playing time than any receiver other than Brandon Marshall."ESPN's Mel Kiper, Jr. assessed this year's crop of offensive "skill position" rookies from a fantasy football perspective, and writes that we should not be surprised if Jeffery makes some noise:- Tim KavanaghMel Kiper, Jr.He's got a great opportunity with Cutler, Marshall "He has looked good early and becomes a constant matchup advantage if teams want to help on Brandon Marshall. I'm leery of saying Jeffery can be a big yardage guy this season because the Bears are determined to run better and spread the ball around in the passing game, but he could quickly become the No. 2 man behind Marshall and be a touchdown poacher."

Please don't be the next Big Mike Williams:

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs

Not sure what to make of this. #Bears list WR Alshon Jeffery on official Web site at 6-4, 229. All summer he's been 6-3, 216.

'BallparkFrank said:

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs

Not sure what to make of this. #Bears list WR Alshon Jeffery on official Web site at 6-4, 229. All summer he's been 6-3, 216.
Roids are a hell of a drug.

'BallparkFrank said:

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs

Who would you rather have on your squad. Him or Randall Cobb?

the BMW comp is invoked at times...

jeffery reportedly ran a 4.4 at his pro day...

BMW never looked remotely that fast in terms of his playing speed...

'BallparkFrank said:

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs

Who would you rather have on your squad. Him or Randall Cobb?
Redraft Jeffery, Dynasty Cobb, but it is close on both of them

'BallparkFrank said:

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs

The 6'3" 216 were his combine measurements. It makes sense that is how they would list him. They likely updated his measurements with how he showed up to camp as part of finalizing the roster. It's normal for players to cut weight pre-combine in an attempt to run a quicker 40. If he started camp at 229, he's likely below that now, and more importantly, he's been impressing at whatever weight he's at.http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/alshon-jeffery?id=2533039

'BallparkFrank said:

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs

The 6'3" 216 were his combine measurements. It makes sense that is how they would list him. They likely updated his measurements with how he showed up to camp as part of finalizing the roster. It's normal for players to cut weight pre-combine in an attempt to run a quicker 40. If he started camp at 229, he's likely below that now, and more importantly, he's been impressing at whatever weight he's at.http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/alshon-jeffery?id=2533039
If a guy with previous weight/dedication issues has indeed put on 13 pounds since the combine, I think there's some potential for concern with this situation. Of course, the fact that he's apparently grown an inch during the same span also makes you wonder! ;)

Looking at the Chi OL, is it that Run blocking might not be there strength. Might they be better suited for quick 3-5 step drops and passing schemes? I don't know. Just guessing here.

Jeffery's biggest problem is his weight. He was up to 260+ early last summer. When it came time for a PR photo op, he looked bigger than DE Ingram & Clowney. His shirt barely fit. Granted, this was over a year ago and it was before the conditioning started at South Carolina.

Now that his paycheck is tied to his performance, I think you will see a different calibler of committment from him. His weight won't be an issue as it is being monitored and addressed. Him not being on the field will be his own fault, not that of the other WR's. He has the talent.

On Field - he has great hands! If Cutler has faith in him, there will be many opportunities for Red Zone targets.

I thought he looked good, very nice size and speed combo. I wouldn't count on Jeffery as more than a spot starter this season though. The Bears are going to run it a ton this year and when they do pass Cutler will be looking for Marshall most of the time. Jeffery will have some nice games, but will also have some clunkers too and it's going to be tough to predict.

I thought he looked good, very nice size and speed combo. I wouldn't count on Jeffery as more than a spot starter this season though. The Bears are going to run it a ton this year and when they do pass Cutler will be looking for Marshall most of the time. Jeffery will have some nice games, but will also have some clunkers too and it's going to be tough to predict.
Nothing wrong with what you say here, but I think there can be a little more optimistic viewpoint than suggesting Jeffery's peak for 2012 is as a spot starter. Ideally, I'd like to think I can have three regular receivers clearly slotted ahead of Jeffery, but I'm pretty sure there are a lot of fantasy teams out there on which that is not true, either due to draft strategy, injury, deep leagues or whatever. And while I agree that expecting any rookie wide receiver to be consistently productive is almost always unreasonable, I think that wide receivers in general are inconsistent, no matter if they're rookies on in their 11th season, so I'm less concerned with pure consistency than I am with aggregate production. Consistency is incredibly difficult to predict, with the most consistent players typically being those who do very little on a weekly basis.Despite playing a far from stout Colt run defense and being in firm control of the game for the entire second half, the Bears still managed to call 37 passes compared to only 33 runs. I believe the Bears are going to be far more balanced on offense, and if anything, will tilt in favor of more passing, not more running, as compared to last year. I know all about the quotes for two 1,000 yard rushers and the history of the Bears offense, but I've always agreed that actions speak louder than words, and in acquiring Marshall and Jeffery, they showed that they understood the importance of upgrading their passing game.There's more to it than just the draft picks. I think the Bears pass block better than they run block, and they will very likely need to match scores in at least the six games vs. GB, Det, Dallas and Houston. I don't expect the Bears to be a top 5, or maybe even top 10 passing offense, not in today's NFL. But I think it very likely they finish in the top half of the league in yards and touchdowns through the air, regardless of the exact number of attempts. I'm not overly concerned about the weather, but weather combined with a tendency to be more conservative as the season wears on is the only worry I have about their ability to sustain an increased emphasis on passing.It's like the Bears realized that they can be a competitive team by staying with the running/defense mindset, but if they wanted to actually be champions, they would need to upgrade their passing attack, and I believe they have. It's only one week and easy to overreact, as I may very well be doing here, but I don't think it's insanity to think that Cutler could quarterback a top 15 passing offense. Certainly his track record supports the possibility.No doubt Marshall is the unquestioned #1 target in Chicago, and the one player who will be force-fed opportunities. However, I am intrigued at the idea of a Marshall-sized receiver in Jeffery getting mostly single coverage and/or the #2 or #3 cornerback assigned to him. Will he have some "clunkers" as suggested? Absolutely, which will make him like most rookie receivers, and really most receivers period. Jeffery may not exceed his Week 1 production all season. I don't know. What I absolutely DO know is that Jeffery has the talent, the size, the quarterback, and the opportunity to put up meaningful fantasy numbers at a very low price. He's a perfect high-upside bench player who figures to improve as the season progresses. I'm not expecting top 20 fantasy numbers, I just want someone who can reasonably be expected to get me something as a bye-week/injury replacement or possibly even a WR3. As of Week 1, Jeffery fits that bill. We'll all see how this situation develops during the season.

No doubt Marshall is the unquestioned #1 target in Chicago, and the one player who will be force-fed opportunities. However, I am intrigued at the idea of a Marshall-sized receiver in Jeffery getting mostly single coverage and/or the #2 or #3 cornerback assigned to him.
:goodposting:

No doubt Marshall is the unquestioned #1 target in Chicago, and the one player who will be force-fed opportunities. However, I am intrigued at the idea of a Marshall-sized receiver in Jeffery getting mostly single coverage and/or the #2 or #3 cornerback assigned to him.
:goodposting:
Agreed and as the season progresses, I see Jeffery just getting better, building a better relationship with Cutler and eventually seeing a bigger role in the game plan with single coverage. Even so, I will take his week 1 stats from my WR3 anytime.

Jeffery's biggest problem is his weight. He was up to 260+ early last summer. When it came time for a PR photo op, he looked bigger than DE Ingram & Clowney. His shirt barely fit. Granted, this was over a year ago and it was before the conditioning started at South Carolina. Now that his paycheck is tied to his performance, I think you will see a different calibler of committment from him. His weight won't be an issue as it is being monitored and addressed. Him not being on the field will be his own fault, not that of the other WR's. He has the talent.
if he's still running a high 4.4 idc what he weights. Throw him the football and he will produce, there's not much you can do to stop him. 3:1 ratio with Marshall is my biggest concern. Cutler stares Marshall down every play.

I see the targets, but I can't find any "snaps" details. Was Jeffrey the other WR in most of the 2-WR sets?

I'm trying to get an idea of how often he was on the field.

From Football Outsiders snap count

Code:
YEAR 	WEEK 	TEAM 	PLAYER 	        POS 	START 	TOT 	OFF 	OFFPCT  DEF     DEFPCT  ST      STPCT2012 	1 	CHI 	60-L.Louis 	RG 	Yes 	84 	77 	100% 	0 	0% 	7 	21%2012 	1 	CHI 	63-R.Garza 	C 	Yes 	84 	77 	100% 	0 	0% 	7 	21%2012 	1 	CHI 	72-G.Carimi 	RT 	Yes 	84 	77 	100% 	0 	0% 	7 	21%2012 	1 	CHI 	73-J.Webb 	LT 	Yes 	84 	77 	100% 	0 	0% 	7 	21%2012 	1 	CHI 	67-C.Spencer 	LG 	Yes 	77 	77 	100% 	0 	0% 	0 	0%2012 	1 	CHI 	6-J.Cutler 	QB 	Yes 	77 	77 	100% 	0 	0% 	0 	0%2012 	1 	CHI 	87-K.Davis 	TE 	Yes 	82 	75 	97% 	0 	0% 	7 	21%2012 	1 	CHI 	15-B.Marshall 	WR 	Yes 	71 	71 	92% 	0 	0% 	0 	0%2012 	1 	CHI 	22-M.Forte 	RB 	Yes 	56 	56 	73% 	0 	0% 	0 	0%2012 	1 	CHI 	17-A.Jeffery 	WR 	No 	42 	42 	55% 	0 	0% 	0 	0%2012 	1 	CHI 	23-D.Hester 	WR 	Yes 	42 	33 	43% 	0 	0% 	9 	27%2012 	1 	CHI 	89-M.Spaeth 	TE 	No 	39 	32 	42% 	0 	0% 	7 	21%2012 	1 	CHI 	29-M.Bush 	RB 	No 	25 	25 	32% 	0 	0% 	0 	0%2012 	1 	CHI 	48-E.Rodriguez 	FB 	Yes 	29 	20 	26% 	0 	0% 	9 	27%2012 	1 	CHI 	80-E.Bennett 	WR 	No 	28 	20 	26% 	0 	0% 	8 	24%2012 	1 	CHI 	86-K.Adams 	TE 	No 	16 	9 	12% 	0 	0% 	7 	21%
Jeffery was second only to Marshall in snap percentage, although he was only in on 42 of 77 (55%) of the snaps. Still, 9 more snaps than Hester and 22 more snaps than Bennett.

I see the targets, but I can't find any "snaps" details. Was Jeffrey the other WR in most of the 2-WR sets?

I'm trying to get an idea of how often he was on the field.
I didn't read the snap counts but he was in a lot. He's obviously their number 2 guy who will make some explosive plays. Bennet made a few catches in the middle. Hester was pretty much invisible. Cutler likes him too. I wouldnt't be surprised if Jefferey approached 800yds and a few tds this year, maybe a little more.

Speaking of Football Outsiders...

Jeffery is ranked #1 in DVOA and #10 in DVAR among all wide receivers based on Week 1.

To see what exactly this means, see the wide receiver page at Football Outsiders here

The Football Outsiders definition is:

Wide receivers are ranked according to DYAR, or Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement. This gives the value of the performance on plays where this WR caught the ball, compared to replacement level, adjusted for situation and opponent and then translated into yardage. DYAR (and its cousin, YAR, which isn't adjusted based on opponent) is further explained here.

The other statistic given is DVOA, or Defense-adjusted Value Over Average. This number represents value, per play, over an average WR in the same game situations. The more positive the DVOA rating, the better the player's performance. DVOA (and its cousin, VOA, which isn't adjusted based on opponent) is further explained here.

The simple version: DYAR means a wide receiver with more total value. DVOA means a wide receiver with more value per play.

Speaking of Football Outsiders...

Jeffery is ranked #1 in DVOA and #10 in DVAR among all wide receivers based on Week 1.

To see what exactly this means, see the wide receiver page at Football Outsiders here

The Football Outsiders definition is:

Wide receivers are ranked according to DYAR, or Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement. This gives the value of the performance on plays where this WR caught the ball, compared to replacement level, adjusted for situation and opponent and then translated into yardage. DYAR (and its cousin, YAR, which isn't adjusted based on opponent) is further explained here.

The other statistic given is DVOA, or Defense-adjusted Value Over Average. This number represents value, per play, over an average WR in the same game situations. The more positive the DVOA rating, the better the player's performance. DVOA (and its cousin, VOA, which isn't adjusted based on opponent) is further explained here.

The simple version: DYAR means a wide receiver with more total value. DVOA means a wide receiver with more value per play.
I should be buying right now shouldn't I.

Users who are viewing this thread