What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official David Cobb - RB Titans Dynasty & Redraft: (1 Viewer)

Makes ya wonder.

I'm sure we'll hear more eventually and not have to guess.

Sankey hasn't had a carry in weeks. Could be a better commitment from him and not be so much about Cobb.

Seems to me ya don't have a lot of hope running against the Panthers, so you pound it with beastly RBs. Cobb's style would have fit this.

Fowler I suppose could get carries but I don't think he has one since that 2pt failure

Makes ya wonder.

Sankey hasn't had a carry in weeks. Could be a better commitment from him and not be so much about Cobb.

Seems to me ya don't have a lot of hope running against the Panthers, so you pound it with beastly RBs. Cobb's style would have fit this.

Fowler I suppose could get carries but I don't think he has one since that 2pt failure
The going to run Andrews 20+ times because they are honoring his father and use McCluster on passing downs

Makes ya wonder.

The going to run Andrews 20+ times because they are honoring his father and use McCluster on passing downs
Uh, no.

Makes ya wonder.

Uh, no.
They tried ... He carried 11 times for 8 yards ... hard to stay committed to him.

The "work horse" bombed and Cobb will be the new Tenn RB to own.

Things looking good for Cobb next week
He wouldn't have done anything different today. I'm not sure LeVeon Bell or ADP would have either.

The Panthers were awesome with 8 in the box and Mularkey N Michael decided they were gonna man up and beat them at their own game with a 2 and 3 TE set. Ummm have you seen the Titans offensive line?

TE coach thinking his TEs were awesome and could manhandle DEs maybe? It was ridiculous.

Andrews had a nice 6-8 yard run. McCluster was nice N fast on a 25 yard TD. Every single other run was bad.

It wasn't a RB hit by one or two guys but a whole pile. If you said guys came off the sideline to jump on the pile, I'd believe you. It was definitely the worst run blocking I've ever seen.

This is accompanied by the worst offensive gameplan I have seen in quite some time.

Mariota, who is usually smooth, was horrible with his play action fakes too. If you're going to fake throwing a pass and hand it off, ummm maybe throw one to the WR first?

Play run down sorta-

Zero targets to WRs in first Q and he was doing these fakes like oh I'm gonna burn you again. It was pitiful and I think the Panthers decided 7 guys tackling the RB wasn't enough and upped it to 9.

FG drive, 2nd Q, they threw screens and quick outs even a nice one to Fowler. Perfect! The D blitzes constantly, take what they give you. One pass to a WR, one.

End of half bomb to DGB (which I still don't see it being on DGB. People expect these beast WRs to do too much. It's not a cartoon. He has a wingspan of like 9-10 feet, geesh Mariota hit him already.)

First half- 8 in the box, two WRs wayyy taller than DBs and...two pass attempts.

Walker who is right there just sorta on the tail end of the crowd of Panthers, oh he gets a zillion passes thrown his way and if he isn't cutting, he's gotta box out 2 or 3 Panthers to make a simple catch.

Third Q-

First possession: Hey a pass to Hunter to start and whaddya know Andrews gets 4. Next a bad fake by MM and I'm halfway thankful Andrews got back to the LOS. Next down, using a WR...terrible pass to DGB is intercepted.

Next possession almost the same Hunter, then Andrews 4 yards, then a drop by Fasano.

These were fine. Didn't work but at least they tried something not right into the 8 in a box.

End of 4th Q. Are we in high school? Gotta run one play to run out the clock? Dopey handoff to Andrews everyone saw coming.

Next play Sankey runs nowhere but falls forward.

There's that line Mariota gets sacked and fumbles.

Next series Mariota drops back (why? what happened to quick throws? Did you not see the last fumble!) and surprise he's sacked and loses seven.

2nd and 17, Panthers all too ready for McCluster to get a screen

3rd and 17, Mariota fires a bullet that implants itself in Hunter's chest for 10 yards. They needed 17, what was that? Nice catch though Hunter.

Final possession was like garbage time with subs in and even (where was that all game) McCluster at WR.

Like I said, Cobb wasn't doing a thing if he was there. He wasn't a TE and he wasn't the (five) OL they needed. All he would have done was taken a turn getting piled on by the Panthers D. If you think Cobb versus 6-8 unblocked defenders was getting anywhere you're not being realistic. Titans needed Jim Brown or Mark Bavaro to carry guys on their back while they ran. Any one else was doomed.

In McCluster's post game interview, the new captain was "this close" to blaming the OC. They had 8 in the box and (pause) it was a hard fought battle.

Via ESPN-Titans RBs ran 16 times. 10 of 16 hit behind the LOS.

Total of 10 yards before contact on the day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Like I said, Cobb wasn't doing a thing if he was there. He wasn't a TE and he wasn't the (five) OL they needed. All he would have done was taken a turn getting piled on by the Panthers D. If you think Cobb versus 6-8 unblocked defenders was getting anywhere you're not being realistic. Titans needed Jim Brown or Mark Bavaro to carry guys on their back while they ran. Any one else was doomed.
All good points - but the unknown is still in his favor. What we know is Andrews is not a workhorse back and he was ineffective yesterday.

I am sure Mularkey would like to keep that job - and Cobb may help him. I am not saying Cobb is great but the door is open for him to take over. Mularkey needs to hitch his wagon to Cobb and DGB.

All good points - but the unknown is still in his favor. What we know is Andrews is not a workhorse back and he was ineffective yesterday.

I am sure Mularkey would like to keep that job - and Cobb may help him. I am not saying Cobb is great but the door is open for him to take over. Mularkey needs to hitch his wagon to Cobb and DGB.
(Just to throw this in as PK pointed out, Sankey is next in line and showed that yesterday I don't know if I agree but I understand why he pointed that out depth chart and all)

In Cobb's favor, hugely in his favor, Jags are not pushovers they once were, but they are far easier to run on then the Panthers.

I am still confused, grumpy about them not using the FB they drafted and very much hung up on Cobb and Sankey not running well without one in preseason and that everyone runs better with one.

Here's the full quote from Titans online-

(on if David Cobb will play on Thursday)

He could. We got him more reps today. Again, that will be a game-time decision, but there’s a better chance this week than there was last week, and that’s based on Dexter (McCluster).

(McCluster had a hurt ankle last week but he was off to the races on that 25 yard run and sure didn't look it. )And now that just feels like more of Sankey versus Cobb competition to backup Dexter. Remember Sankey had a good practice last week? Just seems like continuation of that. Does not mention backing up Antonio.

He could. We got him more reps today. Again, that will be a game-time decision, but there’s a better chance this week than there was last week, and that’s based on Dexter (McCluster).

(McCluster had a hurt ankle last week but he was off to the races on that 25 yard run and sure didn't look it. )And now that just feels like more of Sankey versus Cobb competition to backup Dexter. Remember Sankey had a good practice last week? Just seems like continuation of that. Does not mention backing up Antonio.
Look at the bolded part. I'm stumped. Why, based on Dexter, does Cobb have a better chance of playing this week than last week?

ETA: maybe they want to give Dex some WR snaps? I'd be cool with that.

It sounds like it is more of a pass protection issue. Sankey can fill the 3rd down roll of McCluster and protect the franchise but they don't trust Cobb as of yet. Rightfully so. If McCluster is ok, they can give a few live game action reps to Cobb if game flow allows it.

VandyMan said:
Bri said:

Look at the bolded part. I'm stumped. Why, based on Dexter, does Cobb have a better chance of playing this week than last week?

Agreed, reading the tea leaves seems to suggest that McCluster, if healthy, will be active every week. Two (2) out of Sankey/Cobb/Andrews will also be active... it could easily come down to best options for pass protection if you view all of them as having roughly the same two-down skill set (serviceable, but unimpressive as pure runners).

VandyMan said:
Bri said:

I really think it's "we play with two backs (pause) third if necessary."

Andrews isn't hurt so I assume McCluster's ankle is what he means.

Dexter has done so little WR work this year.

All of the quotes on McBride and Turzilli seem to indicate they are playing.

With McBride probably returning kicks (presser) they're offering Dex some rest there.

I still think it's Sankey esp because one reporter said he's been playing ST in practice (a little) and asking to contribute more ways turning into a good boy.

Cobb doesn't do ST and if we go overboard on that quote- he is very much not 3rd down back type.

Sankey had no carries, no carries, three carries the last three weeks. That is what I've thought Cobb would be replacing and then if any of those carries are nice runs, he earns a bit more.

As far as Cobb's own development, he's always been late to the party then reacts well. It might be next week he's "oh coach, yeah I can play ST like Sankey. Let me try"

Still stuck with why draft the 4th round FB and play him 7% of snaps. I do have another solution. Play him as backup RB OR have Andrews (the backup FB) do the 9 plays you script for Fowler every week as a FB. It seems such a waste to use a roster spot for 9 plays.

It gets complicated if we talk active roster spots. We all want Rico gone but he's often active and that'd be an extra WR. They'd need to lose one spot and former TE coach Mularkey doesn't like to play the Coffman WW game. Titans have excellent pass D but Jags throw on everyone. His 2 and 3 TE set really isn't the way to outscore a high octane offense.

It seems "the cat's out of the bag" already with McBride, but the easiest would have been to have Fowler and Walker play slot like in training camp and maybe 4-5 plays this season.

I think ya gotta ignore the roster spot stuff, assume 3 backs, and...I'm still thinking it's between Sankey or Cobb to be the backup.

VandyMan said:
Bri said:

Agreed, reading the tea leaves seems to suggest that McCluster, if healthy, will be active every week. Two (2) out of Sankey/Cobb/Andrews will also be active... it could easily come down to best options for pass protection if you view all of them as having roughly the same two-down skill set (serviceable, but unimpressive as pure runners).
You guys are misinterpreting this.

Sankey was active because he is the backup (change of pace/ 3rd down back) to McCluster who was questionable.

They weren't going to carry 4 RBs so Cobb was the odd man out.

If McCluster is healthy, and he appears to be, Cobb will be active and Sankey will be the odd man out.

Hence ... Cobb has a better chance of playing this week based on McCluster

VandyMan said:
Bri said:

Sankey was active because he is the backup (change of pace/ 3rd down back) to McCluster who was questionable.

If McCluster is healthy, and he appears to be, Cobb will be active and Sankey will be the odd man out.

I can see this logic too. Went round about the other way but makes sense

VandyMan said:
Bri said:

Ah, yes. That makes much more sense.

Under Mike Mularkey, the Titans have been more concerned with running back rhythm than Ken Whisenhunt was. Andrews is a more traditional lead back. And that's good.

But the team should and can find ways to get a look at Cobb and give him a chance to earn more touches.

Offensive coordinator Jason Michael said the Titans have seen enough of Cobb from camp and in recent practices to have a good feel for his best plays.

“Mix him in with those runs that we feel comfortable with him running, the protections that he does within the personnel groupings of the game plan,” Michael said of how the Titans can deploy him. “And find some thing for him specifically as well as giving Antonio a blow, or whatever that may be as the game goes along.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/17034/titans-should-find-a-way-to-get-david-cobb-carries-at-jacksonville

Any Titans homers know if this yutz is going to play tonight or not? I'm in dire straits at running back and I either have to start this fishstick or drop him and pick up Draughn, Ellington, or Ajayi. Normally, I'd pick up Ellington and shy away from Cobb, but this is a low performance, non-PPR, TD-heavy league. With no idea whether or not Cobb is going to see significant carries/GL work and whether or not Hyde is going to play, I'm left at a crossroads. No matter what, I'm liable to be playing a guy likely to receive 4-8 carries in both of my 2 RB slots in a near must-win game. Fabulous.

Any Titans homers know if this yutz is going to play tonight or not? I'm in dire straits at running back and I either have to start this fishstick or drop him and pick up Draughn, Ellington, or Ajayi. Normally, I'd pick up Ellington and shy away from Cobb, but this is a low performance, non-PPR, TD-heavy league. With no idea whether or not Cobb is going to see significant carries/GL work and whether or not Hyde is going to play, I'm left at a crossroads. No matter what, I'm liable to be playing a guy likely to receive 4-8 carries in both of my 2 RB slots in a near must-win game. Fabulous.
I'd go with Ajayi in that situation.

I like Ajayi better this week too. He is quickly spinning up and the Dallas run defense is not good. Jaguar run def is much better.

I'm smelling a coming out party here. National TV, the incumbent has opened the door, below average opponent. Who else is hearing the opening bars of Eminem's "Lose Yourself" right now? Yo

I'm smelling a coming out party here. National TV, the incumbent has opened the door, below average opponent. Who else is hearing the opening bars of Eminem's "Lose Yourself" right now? Yo
I WANT to see a coming out party.,,but I'm not smelling it. He would have to drastically outperform Andrews to have the coaches start feeding him mid game. I won't bank on it. But it would be awesome since I'm forced to start him with 6 of my key players on bye!!

Same guy hitting up mnay titans writers with cobb Qs on twitter. Wyatt said not fantasy worthy, Glennon said 5-6 carries

If you're the underdog, Ellington. He's a threat to score from anywhere and could bust a long one. If you're the favorite and just need some guaranteed points (can't tolerate a goose egg) I'd go Ellington then Ajayi. Ajayi is getting more and more touches and some goal line work, so he should be good for a few yards at least and maybe (but probably not) a TD.

If you have Cobb, he could become something but hold him on the bench to see what you have. He might eventually take over this backfield in a few weeks, but probably not in his first NFL game.

I can't trust him tonight but I'm sure hoping he can do something as I really need help/luck at RB...

Fingers crossed..

IMO Things to watch-

First of course is how Antonio does

Can Cobb run without a FB(Titans run a ton of single-back sets)

Can he pickup the blitz

Is he in on third

THEN, no team has this issue but the Titans with their putrid line the last two years; Whis oh so often said it and Mularkey appears to think the same.

Can he make something out of nothing?

Normally (discard the Panthers game with six guys tackling Andrews behind LOS) Andrews can get to the LOS even with a defender on him and be somewhat beastly. If the back gets to LOS or a yard or two falling forward it's "good job" if they don't, it's "you got negative yardage! We can't have negative yardage!" This was often brought up about Sankey many many many times. It's really hard for most fans to relate here but it's a big issue on a team with a bad bad line.

Bonus-

Catches

Anything on ST

My gut says to roll him out and I will. Bye weeks and injuries are kinda forcing this but I surprisingly feel somewhat confident that he'll get something worthwhile.

Cobb got much of the 2nd Q. He ran well with FB, not well without.

One run I hated because he was too upright and looked startled(something out of nothing thing) he was swarmed behind the LOS. Fixed that surprised weak effort stuff next carry so who cares.

He did fine on a few blitz pickups. I bet that's considerable to coaches

I didn't like the quarter split in-game, felt like they ought to put Antonio back in. In hindsight though, Antonio did fine and got most of the work but also Cobb got some real experience. That could work as a plan to get the rook experience.

Unless atrocious or awesome, I think you gotta throw out first games.

It's interesting how people speak of Andrews like he's been in the league for 5-6 years and Cobb is brand new rook. Andrews' NFL experience was a handful of kickoff returns last year.

Uneventful debut for Cobb. While I don't think he did anything to hurt himself despite the stat line, I don't expect Mularkey to come out and say he needs/deserves more carries a la Ajayi.

Users who are viewing this thread