What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official David Cobb - RB Titans Dynasty & Redraft: (2 Viewers)

Cobb update

Running back David Cobb continues to practice with the team.

But Mularkey indicated Cobb likely won’t be elevated to the 53-man roster until next week.

Cobb has been practicing for several weeks during the evaluation window. He was placed on the injured reserve/designated to return list before the regular season as he dealt with a calf injury.

“He is running pretty well,’’ Mularkey said of Cobb. “It’s more likely next week. With (other injuries), there may be some other areas we have to address before we worry about (Cobb).”

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/Three-Quick-Hits-from-Thursdays-Practice/f5125ab9-917c-4b8c-ba6c-8d9490ddd471

Like I said in the Titans thread- Still no confirmation that the Titans will use the FB an amount like normal NFL teams do.

Lots of good radio tonight, friday and saturday

Aside from the new coach and Michael calling plays, there's not a whole lot of new things being discussed that wasn't "hit on" Tuesday

Croom had a big problem with his work ethic in pre-season. Coming in over weight seems to indicate he hasn't improved that at all. Couple that with Croom telling Andrews he's the guy "from here on out" and I wouldn't hold out much hope for Cobb making an impact anytime soon.

TEN - RB David Cobb likely to return next week

Source: NFL.com

Tennessee Titans RB David Cobb (calf) is likely to be activated from the short-term Reserve/Injured list next week, according to interim head coach Mike Mularkey.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

He could step right into the starting job. Antonio Andrews is a plodder (and an RB4 this week against New Orleans), and Dexter McCluster is no more than a scat back and a low-end RB4 start.

i am trusting FBG on this one, and ignoring the MM comment on AA, I put a few chips in on Cobb and now hope he can be a factor in a few weeks as Hill has faded away for me...

I think fbg is wrong here. Andrews is a plodder but he is averaging four yards a carry. I don't see Mularkey trusting Cobb with Mariota coming back from injury. No need to rock the boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think fbg is wrong here. Andrews is a plodder but he is averaging four yards a carry. I don't see Mularkey trusting Cobb with Mariota coming back from injury. No need to rock the boat.
Is Andrews really a plodder? The former punt returner and kickoff returner? He's not lightning fast, but he is curiously effective.

Yeah, I don't get it. A rookie who hasn't even played yet is going to step in as the starter immediately?

several folk on FBG said get CObb now..., I did put in some budget $$ on AA first, but was outbid, so I am taking a flyer on Cobb hoping FBG sees something there that I don't feel.

Makes some sense to let them see if they have something here in this kid.... but my expectations are very low..

Is Andrews really a plodder? The former punt returner and kickoff returner? He's not lightning fast, but he is curiously effective.
Andrews 4.82 and 4.76 Cobb 4.81 and 4.73 (combine/pro day)

Roughly the same

Both don't seem fast but seem faster than that in game speed. Each college highlight reel has defenders catching from behind. Also both wear down a D and if you can note the time of the highlights they're men among boys in the 4th Q

Andrews 4.82 and 4.76 Cobb 4.81 and 4.73 (combine/pro day)

Roughly the same

Both don't seem fast but seem faster than that in game speed. Each college highlight reel has defenders catching from behind. Also both wear down a D and if you can note the time of the highlights they're men among boys in the 4th Q
Thanks for bringing the 40 times up - I checked into Cobb's and I noticed that his and Andrews' 40 times were just about the same.

Shows that you can't put a lot of stock in 40 times - some really fast guys aren't good RBs and some slower guys are. Just one data point, and game speed, as Bri mentioned, could and often is different.

Seems like people are pimping Cobb mainly because he's not Andrews, Sankey, McCluster or West, as opposed to any body of work Cobb has done in preseason (which seems very little).

Mularkey likes what he sees in Andrews - unless Andrews fails or gets hurt, I wouldn't blow the bank on Cobb. Speculative add, sure why not.

i am trusting FBG on this one, and ignoring the MM comment on AA, I put a few chips in on Cobb and now hope he can be a factor in a few weeks as Hill has faded away for me...
You're getting nothing for Cobb this week as we're waiting til next week for the probable activation of Cobb.

(MM Mularkey nor Mariota I assume)

I have disagreed with FBG on this since day he was drafted, I'm just trying to be transparent with any news I find. Trying not to offer opinion in this post.

My "reading into" their logic.

Andrews gets the rock ALOT this week and doesn't do well. Maybe it's not even his performance so much as the Saints light it up and the Titans have to pass, pass, pass. (# of reasons, he doesn't do well)

If you wait for Cobb being activated news to pick him up, it'll be too late. Gotta be now.

Mularkey wants production and goes with Cobb next week.

No one knows what Mularkey's "clean slate" will offer. It seems apparent he did not offer that truly to Sankey on KR. He did not create a competition but gave job to Andrews for this week. Still, I think he meant it (today) and am still curious about Sankey and West (and Fowler) this week. There could be a monkey wrench thrown in here

No one knows what Mularkey's "clean slate" will offer. It seems apparent he did not offer that truly to Sankey on KR. He did not create a competition but gave job to Andrews for this week. Still, I think he meant it (today) and am still curious about Sankey and West (and Fowler) this week. There could be a monkey wrench thrown in here
West was released

What did you think? That he's going to have a position battle when they are installing the game plan? Or maybe they could do it at the pre game meal.

Yeah, I don't get it. A rookie who hasn't even played yet is going to step in as the starter immediately?
Not with a an experienced veteran like Andrews in front of him
must be present to win. Cobb is a 5th round pick who got hurt. Not like he was a top 100 pick or something.

West was released
well that takes care of that

West was released
well that takes care of that
I guess some slates are cleaner than others.

Mularkey said they have til the 12th to activate him or not.

I don't know what the "not" is?

season ending IR? release?

I thought you could keep a player on short term IR for as long as you wanted (after 8 weeks)?

I thought you could keep a player on short term IR for as long as you wanted (after 8 weeks)?
Me too. I saw Randall Cobb article years ago and how they'd use him the final three games (a plan, I don't know if they did)

But then what's with Thursday? Gotta decide by Thursday each week?

If they can't even decide if they want to activate him, I think the odds of him being productive this week is pretty low.

If they can't even decide if they want to activate him, I think the odds of him being productive this week is pretty low.
Could be a sign like that, could also be Mularkey saying to GM Webster whose job is in question- "ya know, you're not going to look good here either way-if Sankey sits or if we decide to not activate Cobb, each were the supposed back we needed when you drafted them"

Last week sure seemed to show Andrews and McCluster are safe here.

Each Cobb and Sankey are big and (relative to team) fast guys that ought to be capable of playing ST but neither do if Sankey isn't KR. They don't help really in this lone roster spot available to work with theory

I think the clock starts when they start practicing. At that point the team has X weeks to activate.
That rule applies to the PUP list...not sure about Short Term IR, though.
You're right. I'm not finding any requirement like that for IR/Return. What I found was that the player can start practicing after 6 weeks on IR, and can be activated after 8 weeks. But there doesn't seem to be a requirement that he is activated.

Bri may be correct that the reference to the "12th" has something to do with when they would have to activate him so that he's available for that week's games.

Here is an article from 2012 which states that once a player returns to practice, teams have 3 weeks to activate him, or else he must stay on IR for the rest of the season.

Since Cobb returned to practice on October 22nd, that means that he must be activated by the 12th or else he'll have to stay on IR.

Here is an article from 2012 which states that once a player returns to practice, teams have 3 weeks to activate him, or else he must stay on IR for the rest of the season.

Since Cobb returned to practice on October 22nd, that means that he must be activated by the 12th or else he'll have to stay on IR.
After letting West go and Sankey so deep in the doghouse, I'd be shocked if they didn't activate Cobb this week. How much playing time he gets is another issue given that Andrews and McClusker are playing well.

Thank you

if Cobb runs hard and looks sharp he will get more playing time, he needs to jump on his chances tho as AA is running hard as well.

TEN - RB David Cobb likely to return next week

Source: NFL.com

Tennessee Titans RB David Cobb (calf) is likely to be activated from the short-term Reserve/Injured list next week, according to interim head coach Mike Mularkey.

He could step right into the starting job. Antonio Andrews is a plodder (and an RB4 this week against New Orleans), and Dexter McCluster is no more than a scat back and a low-end RB4 start.
A week later-

TEN - RB David Cobb's workload unknown

Source: TitansOnline.com - Jim Wyatt

Tennessee Titans RB David Cobb (calf) was activated from the short-term Reserve/Injured list this week, but interim head coach Mike Mularkey is unsure how much Cobb might play moving forward. Cobb has battled weight issues recently, but he said that he's down to 225 pounds. With Cobb back on the roster, Mularkey left open the possibility that RB Bishop Sankey could be inactive in Week 10 against the Carolina Panthers.

Sankey is basically a dead man walking on this team. Cobb is going to have trouble carving out a fantasy-friendly role with Antonio Andrews playing well and Dexter McCluster dominating pass downs.

Classic over and under reactions typical of FBG and many other "experts"
Would you rather read "we really don't know how Cobb is going to be used, he may be a starter or he may never see the field. We are not going to take a stand until the week after we know"

They're job is to try and predict the future and a lot of times situations change which make their initial call wrong. At least I know they probably analyzed the situation more than I have in a lot of cases. Use their advice as an opinion, not some future telling fact. People are ridiculous when they expect all the information/views to be accurate 100% of the time. Are you expecting a panel of NFL head coaches reporting information to FBGs for these emails? At least theyre following the situations enough to change their views when a situation changes.

Classic over and under reactions typical of FBG and many other "experts"
Would you rather read "we really don't know how Cobb is going to be used, he may be a starter or he may never see the field. We are not going to take a stand until the week after we know"

They're job is to try and predict the future and a lot of times situations change which make their initial call wrong. At least I know they probably analyzed the situation more than I have in a lot of cases. Use their advice as an opinion, not some future telling fact. People are ridiculous when they expect all the information/views to be accurate 100% of the time. Are you expecting a panel of NFL head coaches reporting information to FBGs for these emails? At least theyre following the situations enough to change their views when a situation changes.
I don't think Ricky or I wanted to call out FBGs and insult them here. Please stop this tangent. There's a lot of love and appreciation going to be lost amidst this if we nitpick.

I have previously voiced my concern over this or that about Titans news interpretation or outlook to Joe B and prefer to leave it there.

I am not a Cobb fan or a fan of any player that doesn't study or put the work in or shows up overweight or possibly milks an injury to miss minicamp. IIRC it was the Chiefs. There was a preseason game where other injured players made the trip, he didn't. Whis said it was discussed and gave little detail. Something was there without guessing what, it concerns me a coach doesn't want a player to make a trip.

Every time he has improved I've noted it and it has changed my point of view some. I do understand some of these youngsters need to "grow up."

I've tried to offer differing points of view by posting those articles and quotes. I did not intend to offer these and make it somehow against FBG. Please understand good intentions and allow me a little latitude here and stop this tangent

I don't follow FBG advice too much or look at anything they say as gospel. They're not fortune tellers. And I do t mind them taking a stance on any one player. In fact, I can appreciate at they went down with the ship on Christine michael until they recently shifted gears on him. I like that. And there was an actual evidence based premise for why they kept pumping c Mike. He's the most talented runner on the roster and McFadden is made of glass.

But pumping Cobb and saying he might go right into a starting role? What do they really know about Cobb? He wasn't a highly touted draft pick. Andrews has been solid if unspectacular. Why would they pump Cobb as a pickup that might start right away? Where was the evidence to support this? The coaches rave about Andrews.

So one week they talk him up like he's gonna go straight to the front of the Rb rotation on no merit whatsoever, and the next week they completely reverse BC Andrews had a good week?

Nonsense. Schiophrenic and helps no one. Formulate your strategies based off of evidence not throwing darts. Then you won't have to flip flop on a player from week to week.

This is the main problem I have with the content useless upgrade/downgrade report.

A player's has a good week and they're touring him as the second coming. The next week he comes back to earth and the downgrade him.

So dumb. Helps no one.

I don't follow FBG advice too much or look at anything they say as gospel. They're not fortune tellers. And I do t mind them taking a stance on any one player. In fact, I can appreciate at they went down with the ship on Christine michael until they recently shifted gears on him. I like that. And there was an actual evidence based premise for why they kept pumping c Mike. He's the most talented runner on the roster and McFadden is made of glass.

But pumping Cobb and saying he might go right into a starting role? What do they really know about Cobb? He wasn't a highly touted draft pick. Andrews has been solid if unspectacular. Why would they pump Cobb as a pickup that might start right away? Where was the evidence to support this? The coaches rave about Andrews.

So one week they talk him up like he's gonna go straight to the front of the Rb rotation on no merit whatsoever, and the next week they completely reverse BC Andrews had a good week?

Nonsense. Schiophrenic and helps no one. Formulate your strategies based off of evidence not throwing darts. Then you won't have to flip flop on a player from week to week.

This is the main problem I have with the content useless upgrade/downgrade report.

A player's has a good week and they're touring him as the second coming. The next week he comes back to earth and the downgrade him.

So dumb. Helps no one.
Cobb was well on his way to winning the starting job back in preseason before he got injured.

He is bigger, faster and much more talented then Andrews.

Cobb is not going to take the job from Andrews this week because they are honoring Andrews father and that would be a pretty disrespectful way to honor him.

Andrews is also going to be pumped up to play with his dad there and the Titans are going to give him every opportunity to impress.

If he bombs Cobb will pass him next week if he he has a great game it will take a couple of weeks before Cobb passes him.,

I think we've established that Cobb is not much faster at all than Andrews based on their 40 times. Unless we're talking football field fast, which has not apparent at all yet.

Users who are viewing this thread