What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official David Cobb - RB Titans Dynasty & Redraft: (2 Viewers)

I'm still trying to figure out how a "limited plodder" like Andrews manages 78 yds on 15 carries while Cobb nets -3 yds on 4 carries, but Cobb is just fine.

I guess this is like the Broncos, where the O-line refuses to block for one of the RBs.

Uneventful debut for Cobb. While I don't think he did anything to hurt himself despite the stat line, I don't expect Mularkey to come out and say he needs/deserves more carries a la Ajayi.
I agree. There were people in the backfield on a lot of his carries so there's not much I take away from this game except that he's not startable until we know more.

Bronco Billy said:
I'm still trying to figure out how a "limited plodder" like Andrews manages 78 yds on 15 carries while Cobb nets -3 yds on 4 carries, but Cobb is just fine.

I guess this is like the Broncos, where the O-line refuses to block for one of the RBs.
Exactly. Cobb was definitely hurt by last night. He looked terrible. No burst. No push. No fight for extra yards. Decent in pass pro. That was the one positive. But he did nothing to show mularkey he shouldn't be inactive next week in favor of Sankey. And the fact that Andrews ran well just shows that, at least at this point in both of their short NFL careers, Andrews is the better back.

It was a colossal bust of a debut for Cobb last night. I think that Cobb owners are grasping at any excuse to rationalize it. Lol

And I'm a Cobb owner. But it's clear to me now that barring injury Andrews is the back to own on Tennessee ros. If there is a back to own on that putrid disaster of a team.

Said this before, but I think eventually we're going to see Cobb is not given much time to prove himself.

I think Andrews was clearly well ahead and that he'll still be the lead back moving forward. Maybe the last game or two they let he and Sankey be the lead back for evaluation.

Also though is that Andrews is no stud. On a good team, he'd be the backup. It's a star position and they're very likely to add a RB by draft or free agency to fill that void.

The Titans already have a good boy, yes coach, hustler on the PS in Fluellen. Cobb and Sankey would be picked up off PS and probably whine if they were put there and...that's just not happening. He is perfect for his way down the depth chart role.

6? years into his career, McCluster has established himself finally as a very effective 3rd down back.

Next year

NFL teams generally keep 3 backs and one on PS.

New guy

Andrews

McCluster 3rd down back

Fluellen on PS

Any roster crunch would not be in Sankey or Cobb's favor since their FB can run the ball.

I rrrreally think Cobb and Sankey will be on different teams in 2016. I wouldn't drop either in deep dynasty but wait and see.

If Cobb rocks or Andrews rocks and one of them can be the "special" back, this would change but as of now it looks like the Titans are all set with backups and about to get a very high pick in the draft.

It wouldn't be unheard of to say a 5th rounder didn't pan out or that Sankey got his chance and didn't do well so we're moving on.

Andrews will not be beaten out for a roster spot. He is backup KR, PR, FB, 3rd down back, LS, he and wright took some QB snaps on day in camp, played ST and lines out wide. All that wins any close call.

Cobb fans gotta keep in mind, he needs to do real well for them to not draft/sign a RB. Also, the way the Titans line is playing I wouldn't drop him but think playing behind a new line for a new team is a step up for him.

Last night was just his "get his feet wet" game but he's gotta get after it quickly to win them over before the season is done.

Cobb is not very good.

When did Bishop Sankey really get a chance to be the starter? I can't really say the coaches gave him that chance.

Bishop Sankey Career Game Log

Towards the middle of last season (when the offensive line was worse than it is now) Sankey did have a few games where he got more touches than he has this season.

A win against the Jaguars where Sankey had 18 carries 61 yards then Washington 16 carries 56 yards then at Baltimore 16 caries for 55 yards. Was this his chance? Because it is the only time he has had perhaps more than RBBC opportunity.

This season Sankey started out with 12 carries 74 yards 2 receptions 12 yards and 2 TD. then 12 carries for 42 yards in the following game. Sankey has not had much opportunity since.

Andrews has not performed better than Sankey did in that first game in any game this year, yet Sankey was inactive for Cobb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cobb is not very good.

When did Bishop Sankey really get a chance to be the starter? I can't really say the coaches gave him that chance.
It's just one quarter for one game. I wouldn't declare Cobb is not very good yet. That said, he's not really going to help any teams this season so unless you're in a dynasty league feel free to drop him (I am)

And I agree that Sankey did seem to have a very short leash...must be something behind the scenes?

Cobb is not very good.

It's just one quarter for one game. I wouldn't declare Cobb is not very good yet. That said, he's not really going to help any teams this season so unless you're in a dynasty league feel free to drop him (I am)

And I agree that Sankey did seem to have a very short leash...must be something behind the scenes?
Yes I don't really know what the deal is with Sankey.

I think Cobb was a solid all around player for the Gophers but I do not think he is anything special at the NFL level.

Say what? Sankey was handed the starting job. He was given every opportunity to make it his. He was unable to hold onto it and has gotten to the point where he's not even seeing the field.

That's not on anyone but Sankey. He's totally unreliable to get a regular workload.

Geez, the guy gets benched for players like Greene and Andrews for Pete's sake.

Say what? Sankey was handed the starting job. He was given every opportunity to make it his. He was unable to hold onto it and has gotten to the point where he's not even seeing the field.

That's not on anyone but Sankey. He's totally unreliable to get a regular workload.

The coaches did not like Sankey from the beginning. He did not get handed the starting job.

Say what? Sankey was handed the starting job. He was given every opportunity to make it his. He was unable to hold onto it and has gotten to the point where he's not even seeing the field.That's not on anyone but Sankey. He's totally unreliable to get a regular workload.

The coaches did not like Sankey from the beginning. He did not get handed the starting job.
:lol:

So they benched their most talented RB because they didn't like him?

It wasn't lack of performance or missing assignments? Having seen him play, do you really believe that?

If you listened to what Wiz said about Sankey (Wiz is fired now) you would hear him say things like he didn't like Sankeys footwork and that he wanted Sankey to get more yards after contract. The second part Sankey actually accomplished but to say they just handed the starting job to him is incorrect. They used him in tandem with McCluster and Green. You call that giving him the starting job?

I disagree.

The whole team has sucked for a long time now not just Sankey.

Pit-E-Full,

I don't watch the Titans very often but it seems to me like Sankey actually looked good in the season opener. What happened to that situation? Surely he would be better than Cobbo or Andrews and what they showed last night.

2014 offensive snaps by Titans RB

Sankey 354 36.6%

McCluster 233 24.1%

Greene 164 17%

Wahington 235 24.3%

Andrews 14 1.4%

In 2014 Sankey had 152 rushing attempts and 23 targets. That is 175 times out of the 354 total snaps he had which is 49.43% of the time he was on the field.

If you look at the career advanced splits

63% of his rushing attempts have been on 1st down and he has averaged 4.2 ypc on 1st down.

35% of his rushing attempts have been on 2nd down and he has averaged 3.3 ypc on 2nd down.

Barely any use on 3rd down. This is not unusual for a rookie to not be used in critical 3rd down situations.

David Cobb needs time

The moment Cobb was declared active for Thursday’s game, questions immediately surfaced about his value in fantasy football. Start or sit? The answer on Thursday night was sit, and it’s going to be until Cobb gets himself into football shape, or until fellow running backAntonio Andrews stumbles. Cobb is a talented runner, and in time I believe he’s going to be a good one. But he’s a work in progress, and right now Andrews is doing the job. Andrews had 78 yards on 15 carries against the Jaguars, while Cobb carried the ball four times for minus-3 yards. We’ll see more of Cobb moving forward, but patience will be needed here.

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/Titans-Six-Pack-Thoughts-from-Loss-to-Jaguars/d93d5e4f-969c-4697-985b-13eda4c986ef

Sankey 354 36.6%

McCluster 233 24.1%

Greene 164 17%

Wahington 235 24.3%

Andrews 14 1.4%

In 2014 Sankey had 152 rushing attempts and 23 targets. That is 175 times out of the 354 total snaps he had which is 49.43% of the time he was on the field.

63% of his rushing attempts have been on 1st down and he has averaged 4.2 ypc on 1st down.

35% of his rushing attempts have been on 2nd down and he has averaged 3.3 ypc on 2nd down.

Barely any use on 3rd down. This is not unusual for a rookie to not be used in critical 3rd down situations.
That's just manipulating some stats or a time stats don't tell the story or somesuch.

I honestly don't believe he averaged 4+ on first and am too lazy to redo the research, I trust PFR it's just....looks wrong.

He did break a few maybe they were on first making the average look good.

I can probably spin that back and say Andrews averaged 6 in preseason.

IIRC Sankey's average for 2014 was nearly identical to his preseason average.

Check out the rest of advanced stats downs- 3.3 ballpark or less.

Cmon you watched some games. A year later you're his fan?

The conflict was (this could also be worded as what Whisenhunt did wrong with Sankey)

He couldn't pickup the blitz (can now) and with Dexter slated to play WR as Wright's backup and only sometime RB, ugh they had to pick up Leon for 3rd downs.

From game five on (guess), very good FB Battle was about benched and barely played from that point on as they went with a single back set. Sankey looked wayyyy better with a FB. He also lost outstanding blocking TE Stevens about this time too. Two very key run blockers. Single back set was the worst possible reaction Whis could have had but...he went that way.

Most major issue was he ran excellent between the Ts at Washington. I mean so well that it made him the back drafted first. In NFL, he did not always hit holes and did not move piles. He got near a hole and danced many times. This infuriated Whis. Their line was so bad, if he had a crack between two linemen then he had better take it as a hole to run through. That dancing ruined his momentum and allowed that small crack to close. Lewan was guard and RT before replacing Roos. They had some blocks at times and some decent linemen in spots (before it all collapsed late in the season) and he had no vision. Lewan or Roos could move their man back 4-5 yards (which rarely happens in the NFL) and he'd be stuck behind them as if they're a FB. Pick a side and go!

Sankey ran real well outside, like Curtis Martin and so many others that have preferred "the corner" in the NFL. Foolishly Whisenhunt wasn't letting him have it. He wanted him to run inside, he did at Washington, and he ought to do that. One week Sankey ran tough and did pretty well. I want to guess 60-70 yards against a real good D but well earned yards that got Whis' praise. That was the only week he did. Whis called him out and used "tough runs" "run hard' and phrases like that. Ya might look back and feel like he thought he was a wimp even. I'm sure it was to motivate, but it was just insulting him.

Week 11-12 or so, Leon 90 year old Washington was getting the starts and/or featured back role. Whis quit on him. Sankey went in a bit, but Whis lost all faith. This is when Andrews articles began popping up. He was activated from PS.

To not call him a starter is another stretch. You list 50% of plays. I'd guess that was 65-75% and tallied off when Leon took over.

Shonn would start and Sankey would be in right away.

Leon late, I mentioned.

PFR has Leon with zero stats, Sankey nine, and Shonn 5. Above I mentioned probably 11 for Sankey so...gimme 2 where he came in right away for Greene and that works out.

He made some dopey drops on screens.

Whis wanted him to run tough, protect the ball, pickup the blitz, and focus/mental aspect of screens. He did most of that. He was a good boy this offseason. I like him on 3rd down a lot. He ran hard in preseason but once regular season came he was same ol Sankey.

My last point which was Whis' greatest focus was making something out of nothing. He ought to get back to the LOS and negative yardage was the absolute worst thing he could do. Whis would get on the slew of bad QBs to throw it away rather than take a sack and get on Sankey for being stopped behind the LOS. Andrews' fight, to battle just to get back to the line, was seen as this huge positive. A bit much maybe, but Whis was trying to build a culture where any negative yardage was unacceptable. Sankey showed this quality at Washington, in camp, and in preseason. In 2014 and 2015, in games though, he runs into a brick wall or gets squished like a bug. It does affect morale and Andrews bruising thru or carrying a guy does help but in no way did I ever agree that either were as grandiose a problem or benefit as Whis made it seem.

None of this really holds much logic as to why he ran outside well and they didn't just do that, other than Whis' ego and plan.

I am (within reason of course) glad McCluster is out and Sankey will get some carries now and 3rd down work WITHOUT Whis around. He is definitely the bluechip here and far better combine type stats than Cobb or Andrews. Certainly the only one of them that can pull off a pretty run that'll make casual fans ooh and ahh.

He was benched this week, what 18 months after being the first back in NFL draft? He saw firsthand West get cut from CLE after leading them as a rook and benched for fumbles in TEN. The hustle and effort of Andrews was promoted. Cobb's good and bad. In a short time, Sankey has seen a lot of what happens with the NFL's brutal personnel aspect of the game. Don't forget he was benched despite the coach saying he's been doing well in practice. He's still got some games. He's getting another chance. He may just have the right chip on his shoulder to "bring his career back to life" here.

I've said it since summer. I expect him to do well on 3rd downs. He might not need to beat Cobb or Andrews for 1st and 2nd down work. In a few weeks, he could show next year's coach (with or without the Titans) how fluid he can be and his outside speed. We'll see, of couse, but I'm very curious of him now. I love a story of overcoming adversity

Stay buddying up to Andrews puhlease please please! This attitude/mindset he's expressing now is perfect-

“I wasn’t expecting to finish in the negative for the first time. I had never finished in the negative, but there’s a first time for everything, I guess,’’ said Cobb, who ran for 2,893 yards and 20 touchdowns in college at Minnesota. “I am happy I got a chance to play and actually be a part of the team, but I wasn’t expecting that.

“I’m hoping I’ll be able to do a little more this week.”

“The preseason is nothing like the regular season, and practice is nothing like a real game. Just getting my feet wet, it was good,’’ Cobb said. “I know they are not going to give me anything, so I have to go out and earn it. I have to go out and work hard and when I get opportunities I have to do well.

“We have six games left and six more opportunities to help this team win.”

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/Titans-Rookie-RB-David-Cobb-Welcomes-More-Chances/6d4d5a0c-7215-4f01-95ce-653e3f579125

Sankey 354 36.6%

McCluster 233 24.1%

Greene 164 17%

Wahington 235 24.3%

Andrews 14 1.4%

That's just manipulating some stats or a time stats don't tell the story or somesuch.

There is no manipulation of statisitcs and I do trust that these numbers are accurate. They may not tell the whole story. Never suggested they do. They tell the story of how much he was on the field and what down and distance he was utilized.

I honestly don't believe he averaged 4+ on first and am too lazy to redo the research, I trust PFR it's just....looks wrong.

He did break a few maybe they were on first making the average look good.

As I said I believe these stats are accurate. It may be that Sankey had a few big runs on 1st down improving that average. The same is true for ALL players. A RB only getting 0-3 yards on 1st down is pretty normal and happens a lot to ALL RB. The sample size is small because they did not give Sankey much opportunity.

I can probably spin that back and say Andrews averaged 6 in preseason.

FWIW Andrews currently has 65 rushing attempts on 1st down for 4.8 ypc he has 31 rushing attempts on 2nd down for 2.2 ypc.

IIRC Sankey's average for 2014 was nearly identical to his preseason average.

Preseason is not regular season. This was likely used to determine the starter at the beginning of the season and I know Wiz was running his full offense in the preseason not vanilla like most good teams do. That didn't take long to catch up with him although it may have helped the Titans in week 1.

Check out the rest of advanced stats downs- 3.3 ballpark or less.

Not sure what you are referencing but here are all of Sankeys advanced stats.

Cmon you watched some games. A year later you're his fan?

I wouldn't say I am his fan. I just don't really agree with your statement that the coaching staff gave Sankey every opportunity to become the starter.

The conflict was (this could also be worded as what Whisenhunt did wrong with Sankey)

He couldn't pickup the blitz (can now) and with Dexter slated to play WR as Wright's backup and only sometime RB, ugh they had to pick up Leon for 3rd downs.

From game five on (guess), very good FB Battle was about benched and barely played from that point on as they went with a single back set. Sankey looked wayyyy better with a FB. He also lost outstanding blocking TE Stevens about this time too. Two very key run blockers. Single back set was the worst possible reaction Whis could have had but...he went that way.

Most major issue was he ran excellent between the Ts at Washington. I mean so well that it made him the back drafted first. In NFL, he did not always hit holes and did not move piles. He got near a hole and danced many times. This infuriated Whis. Their line was so bad, if he had a crack between two linemen then he had better take it as a hole to run through. That dancing ruined his momentum and allowed that small crack to close. Lewan was guard and RT before replacing Roos. They had some blocks at times and some decent linemen in spots (before it all collapsed late in the season) and he had no vision. Lewan or Roos could move their man back 4-5 yards (which rarely happens in the NFL) and he'd be stuck behind them as if they're a FB. Pick a side and go!

All of the context above is helpful. Perhaps you are correct that Sankey has no vision which is an important trait for a RB to have.

Sankey ran real well outside, like Curtis Martin and so many others that have preferred "the corner" in the NFL. Foolishly Whisenhunt wasn't letting him have it. He wanted him to run inside, he did at Washington, and he ought to do that. One week Sankey ran tough and did pretty well. I want to guess 60-70 yards against a real good D but well earned yards that got Whis' praise. That was the only week he did. Whis called him out and used "tough runs" "run hard' and phrases like that. Ya might look back and feel like he thought he was a wimp even. I'm sure it was to motivate, but it was just insulting him.

I do remember this and as you say, the coach insulted Sankey and despite Sankey performing pretty well the coach still did not reward Sankey with increased opportunity.

Week 11-12 or so, Leon 90 year old Washington was getting the starts and/or featured back role. Whis quit on him. Sankey went in a bit, but Whis lost all faith. This is when Andrews articles began popping up. He was activated from PS.

To not call him a starter is another stretch. You list 50% of plays. I'd guess that was 65-75% and tallied off when Leon took over.

He techinically started 9 games in 2014 and 3 games in 2015. As you know however starting did not mean he would get more than 30-40% of the offensive plays as the roach rotated many different RB throughout the game.

Shonn would start and Sankey would be in right away.

Leon late, I mentioned.

PFR has Leon with zero stats, Sankey nine, and Shonn 5. Above I mentioned probably 11 for Sankey so...gimme 2 where he came in right away for Greene and that works out.

He made some dopey drops on screens.

This is a fair criticism. Sankey seemed like a natural pass catcher in college and pretty good at pass protection as well. College is not the NFL.

Whis wanted him to run tough, protect the ball, pickup the blitz, and focus/mental aspect of screens. He did most of that. He was a good boy this offseason. I like him on 3rd down a lot. He ran hard in preseason but once regular season came he was same ol Sankey.

My last point which was Whis' greatest focus was making something out of nothing. He ought to get back to the LOS and negative yardage was the absolute worst thing he could do. Whis would get on the slew of bad QBs to throw it away rather than take a sack and get on Sankey for being stopped behind the LOS. Andrews' fight, to battle just to get back to the line, was seen as this huge positive. A bit much maybe, but Whis was trying to build a culture where any negative yardage was unacceptable. Sankey showed this quality at Washington, in camp, and in preseason. In 2014 and 2015, in games though, he runs into a brick wall or gets squished like a bug. It does affect morale and Andrews bruising thru or carrying a guy does help but in no way did I ever agree that either were as grandiose a problem or benefit as Whis made it seem.

None of this really holds much logic as to why he ran outside well and they didn't just do that, other than Whis' ego and plan.

I am (within reason of course) glad McCluster is out and Sankey will get some carries now and 3rd down work WITHOUT Whis around. He is definitely the bluechip here and far better combine type stats than Cobb or Andrews. Certainly the only one of them that can pull off a pretty run that'll make casual fans ooh and ahh.

He was benched this week, what 18 months after being the first back in NFL draft? He saw firsthand West get cut from CLE after leading them as a rook and benched for fumbles in TEN. The hustle and effort of Andrews was promoted. Cobb's good and bad. In a short time, Sankey has seen a lot of what happens with the NFL's brutal personnel aspect of the game. Don't forget he was benched despite the coach saying he's been doing well in practice. He's still got some games. He's getting another chance. He may just have the right chip on his shoulder to "bring his career back to life" here.

I've said it since summer. I expect him to do well on 3rd downs. He might not need to beat Cobb or Andrews for 1st and 2nd down work. In a few weeks, he could show next year's coach (with or without the Titans) how fluid he can be and his outside speed. We'll see, of couse, but I'm very curious of him now. I love a story of overcoming adversity

Pretty much everything you said I agree with and is the point I was trying to make about Sankey not really getting a chance to be the starter. When Sankey did well the coach went away from him anyways. He was asked to do things that were not really his strengths, such as getting yards after contact, he improved in that area as I recall and even made a top 20 or so list (maybe better I don't recall exactly) in yards gained after contact showing that he was doing what the coaches told him to do. The offensive line and a shuffling of multiple QBs certainly were not good support around him or any RB to be successful, thus the emphasis on not losing yardage on runs (despite poor blocking).
I put my responses in red. I think we see the situation about the same although I recognize you have watched a lot more Titans games than I have. I don't think Sankey has had enough opportunity to say he really got the chance to be the starter. They didn't build their offense around his strengths as you mention and he had a pretty quick hook regardless of if he did well or poorly. Wiz seemed to prefer a RBBC and wasn't going to change that philosophy.

Bia, I find this fascinating. It's like you switched sides in a debate or somesuch.

He got it enough. We've seen backs get 200 for the year and do very well. We've seen some 3rd down backs get an unusually high #. IMO He got it enough to make an impression and that impression wasn't favorable.

I think what's important to keep in mind as a sidenote or somesuch is that Whisenhunt rarely ever went to the "come from behind" offense in 2014. They still made attempts to run when other team abandoned it and would throw quite often.

I guess it doesn't matter if we disagree.

Where HE is now is- he needs to make a good impression on Mularkey in practice(he has) and then do well in a game when he gets the chance. He and Cobb(we're kind of in the wrong thread now) are in that "show me" phase.

It still very much feels like nothing has changed as far as Andrews. He is still NOT a bluechip but the guy getting it done. Those two will get a chance to show what they can do and (for them) hopefully steal some work from Andrews.

Carpe diem or somesuch for them.

By the end of the year though, if Andrews still has the feature back role that will be significant this offseason. They'll clearly be 2nd fiddle.

Monkey wrench here is the never used Fowler who is a real good receiver and former stud HS RB.

FWIW this would be the week for something with Cobb IMO. I'm not sure ya start the guy- 4 carries -3 yards doesn't breed that- but in the same light, the Titans aren't reacting negatively to that. They seem to view it as a getting his feet wet game and that's all.

I preferred both 2nd team guards over 1st team Gs this summer. Matias and Spain. I think Warmack is awesome then horrible and can't stand the down plays and prefer steady production. Spain gets his first start this week. 6-6 330lb on team site, 345 in articles this week, regardless he is a big boy.

Rain, meh run D, team wanting to get him more looks and saying they will, McCluster out, favorable O-line change...this is a good week for Cobb to step up.

Could be Sankey saying don't forget about me, could be Andrews running away with the lead back spot but if you're a Cobb fan I think ya gotta consider his play this weekend.

From Titans site

Running game

We’ve seen just a small sample of rookie running back David Cobb so far – he had four carries against the Jaguars. Antonio Andrews has been the workhorse for the Titans in recent weeks. Expect to see more of Cobb mixed in moving forward. On what could be a sloppy track on Sunday, the Titans need to be able to run the football against an Oakland defense that’s ranked 23rd overall in run defense, and 26th in average allowed per carry (4.5 yards).

I was just looking at the Gophers RB history and Cobb is the best RB they have had since Marion Barber and Laurence Marony who split time with each other in College. Both of them had better efficiency in terms of YPC than Cobb did.

Cobb is a well rounded player who makes for a good back up perhaps in the NFL but I don't expect him to be better than Andrews is right now and his upside is limited. All year I have been wondering why people have been hyping Cobb as some sort of a difference maker when it seems pretty clear to me he isn't.

Then the training camp reports of Cobb not being healthy as well as seemingly unmotivated have added to that. For Cobb to make it in the NFL he needs to do so on grit and playing good all around football. He isn't going to stick around long because of his lack of athleticism.

Ya know how you hear draft folks say "runs too upright, won't make it in the league?" That's Cobb the last two weeks.

He heard about it in minicamp and fixed it by OTAs.

He's gonna get hit so hard his head pops off like in a video game.

One run today he took a shot, maybe got angry and then put his shoulder down and moved a few for a couple more yards.

I don't like this 2nd quarter is Cobb time stuff. Put him in, if he runs up right pull him. Put him back...keep doing it til he gets the message.

Andrews and Fowler rocked for much of one series. Maybe finally they'll use their FB more now. Cobb needs to be ready to jump in on that if so. Last time Sankey ran well was with a FB so I imagine he'll be ready

Terrible terrible play calls for much of the game today, but Cobb had a few chances and ran like a WR

Ya know how you hear draft folks say "runs too upright, won't make it in the league?" That's Cobb the last two weeks.

One run today he took a shot, maybe got angry and then put his shoulder down and moved a few for a couple more yards.

I don't like this 2nd quarter is Cobb time stuff. Put him in, if he runs up right pull him. Put him back...keep doing it til he gets the message.

Andrews and Fowler rocked for much of one series. Maybe finally they'll use their FB more now. Cobb needs to be ready to jump in on that if so. Last time Sankey ran well was with a FB so I imagine he'll be ready

Terrible terrible play calls for much of the game today, but Cobb had a few chances and ran like a WR
It's becoming too late in the game for redrafts. I see some dynasty value but he does have a ways to go yet. He'll need another offseason of coaching.

Futz said:
Bri said:

It's becoming too late in the game for redrafts. I see some dynasty value but he does have a ways to go yet. He'll need another offseason of coaching.
I don't know if he gets more than one additional offseason.

The Titans seem like one of only a few teams left to not make the RB position very fluid.

Look at Fish, the stud of first few weeks Cunningham hasn't played. Last year's leading rusher, Mason, was inactive recently. Pead is on the Jets, Stacy on the Texans or vice versa, I forget where Daryl Richardson is. There's a lot of that going around. Cowboys seem like they've had ten backs this year and their leading back is out of football altogether. Pats have like 5 they've used.

Browns have Crowell who hasn't done squat. Cut last year's top back. And their rook is only good in spots. They're about to join this fluid group whether they realize it or not.

Seahawks only have Marshawn from last year's team.

Buffalo sent one guy to NO another to SEA and signed McCoy.

Eagles have two new backs, plus Sproles who was on the Saints all that long ago.

Didn't Boom Herron start for a team this year? He's unemployed

I like the idea of a team building a player, developing them. The trend seems to be produce now or get walking though.

With all this movement, does free agent X want to play for the Titans and is he better than Cobb, Sankey etc. Then it will be they're looking at this back sitting on their board, can he do better than Cobb, Sankey etc.

I've said it a couple times, will probably be saying it all offseason- I totally expect them to draft a top back and make Andrews the valuable sub type.

I don't in anyway think it's possible for Cobb to beat out Andrews for a backup job. Besides performance, his work ethic is there, he's a top notch football guy that is backup FB LS QB KR PR knows the slot and the F position they've never used. He does the PR stuff, that stuff with his dad in military too. He IS a prototype backup.

Cobb's not "built" to be 3rd down back like McCluster.

Without an addition, Cobb thinks he's a stud as do his fans...he's got a shot for the top back role. If they draft or sign one, the landscape changes badly for him IMO.

Patience almost never carries from one staff to the next and the Titans are looking at a new coach for 2016. If a new coach is gonna be patient, it's gonna be with the bluechip Sankey not the 5th rounder.

At this point Cobb looks like "do well elsewhere" classic type. Everything he has messed up on, he has fixed- and that is noteworthy. Here we are late in the season with people still clinging to him and does he even have positive yardage? He saw Andrews work his way from UDFA to starter. Saw Sankey get knocked down a peg and by many accounts is practicing well now. I can totally see him on a new team with a chip on his shoulder having learned from this. It just fits so very well. Geesh Gurley getting hurt, him running for a K, and Fish gloating at his old team is almost perfect NFL drama.

I don't see it with TEN, not at all.

Rotoworld:

Titans interim coach Mike Mularkey said he wanted to get David Cobb more carries Week 12.

Cobb ended up seeing just three carries, but that was not the plan heading in. "That really wasn’t the plan, it was to get him more involved," Mularkey said. "We definitely want to get him more chances." We have heard similar comments before, but Cobb has yet to get a meaningful role. He remains just a bench stash in deeper formats.

Source: titansonline.com

Dec 1 - 1:03 PM

Mularkey said he plans to use more of a RB rotation this week. (Played Jags 2 weeks ago 15 carries for Andrews, 4 Cobb, 2 McCluster)

Most every reporter seems to have tweeted some variation of "more action for Cobb."

Without the FB he probably lost yardage. Titans used a three TE set and put all three on one side and he did well then.

He needs the lead blocker, as I've been saying.

Aside from a stuff at the GL, every play Fowler was in for was productive. Crazy how he sits.

Andrews looked excellent at times and they kept with the every other series rotation.

Sankey had a quick snap N throw as a WR, otherwise didn't notice him.

He is blocking better/picking up the blitz. Sometimes he almost whiffs and just gets in the way but who cares as long as he slows the guy down.

It's similar to his bad running style versus his good one. He's so upright he uses his hands more like a lineman when he should get down more and nail a guy with his shoulder.

Titans interim coach Mike Mularkey liked some of what he saw from running backs Antonio Andrews and David Cobb in Sunday’s win over the Jaguars.

But he thought both could have done even more.

Andrews carried 13 times for 58 yards and a touchdown, with Cobb adding 13 carries for 40 yards. It was the most extensive action of the season for Cobb, a rookie who missed the first half of the season with a calf injury.

“I thought he made some nice runs,” Mularkey said of Cobb, “but there’s others I wish he would have stuck where the (play) should have hit. We would have had some more yards out there.

“I saw some things that were good to see, some flashes of what he’s capable of doing. But I’d like to see both of those guys break some tackles that — when they’re on the last guy of defense — if we can get through that, we’re going to have some bigger plays that are going to lead to more scores for us.”

Mularkey noted that both backs are inexperienced, as Andrews is in his second season and Cobb has played in just three games.

“Some of it is vision, some of it’s not understanding the speed and how quickly everything kind of comes together,” Mularkey said. “You can’t go back. You can’t start to cut back. They’re coming that way. Stick with what you saw first. Believe in it. Try to make a play there.”

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2015/12/07/mularkey-gives-titans-rbs-andrews-cobb-mixed-review/76959834/

Rotoworld:

David Cobb had 19 carries for 71 yards and a touchdown in the Titans' Week 17 loss to the Colts.

Cobb started and dominated carries over Antonio Andrews/Bishop Sankey. He was able to end the season on a high note, but Cobb was mostly a disappointment as a rookie. He missed the first nine games on PUP and finished with a 52/144/1 line, averaging 2.8 YPC. Cobb should face heavy competition for a starting job in 2016.

Jan 3 - 4:25 PM

Where would you put Cobb value wise right now?
Very hard to say until FA/draft hits. Supposedly the Titans covet Doug Martin, and if he leave the Bucs for Tennessee, obviously Cobb's value is minimal.

Probably a good sign for Cobb if the team stays away from signing a FA RB, unless they draft one of the top backs. I doubt that happens though given the team's other needs.

Problem is that Cobb didn't show a whole lot last year, and situations often change quickly for RBs if they don't hit right off the bat.

Users who are viewing this thread