What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Alshon Jeffery - The Bandwagon (1 Viewer)

Top 5 dynasty WR? Very few players I would trade him for...
I think this is right. The list of guys I would want over Jeffery right now in dynasty is pretty short:

Calvin

Gordon

AJ Green

Julio Jones
Gordon's one strike from being suspended for a year. He and Jeffery are 4/5 for me, but I don't think I'd trade Jeffery for Gordon... but that's such a small margin. It's weird to think Jeffery being top 5
No, he is not.

I think this is right. The list of guys I would want over Jeffery right now in dynasty is pretty short:

Calvin

Gordon

AJ Green

Julio Jones
Gordon's one strike from being suspended for a year. He and Jeffery are 4/5 for me, but I don't think I'd trade Jeffery for Gordon... but that's such a small margin. It's weird to think Jeffery being top 5
No, he is not.
Really? It's the common belief as far as I know that he is one misstep away from a yearlong suspension. Do you have a link that shows he's not? I'm not trying to call you out or disparage here, legitimately interested in a source that can speak with authority on his status, and will find it especially interesting to confirm he's not as close to a suspension as I thought he was.

Calvin

Gordon

AJ Green

Julio Jones
No, he is not.
Not sure where you are getting this notion. Josh Gordon has said himself he is only one strike away from a one year suspension:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/09/cleveland_browns_josh_gordon_n.html

It took a year to fully materialize, but yet another great call from Sharkbucks. Dude, whatever you're selling next preseason, I'm buying.

Rotoworld:

Alshon Jeffery caught three passes for 80 yards in Chicago's Week 17 loss to the Packers.
Jeffery's final catch should have gone for a 68-yard touchdown, but he was incorrectly ruled down at the one-yard line. For reasons unknown, Chicago declined to challenge. Jeffery caps his breakout sophomore campaign with 89 catches for 1,421 yards and seven touchdowns. His yards led the team. Jeffery will have a hard time matching the yardage in 2014 with Brandon Marshall still in his prime, but is a bonafide WR1 with a ceiling that's through the roof in Dynasty leagues.

I love his size, he is a great red zone target with size and speed. I am stating the obvious but Marshall and Jeffery are an awesome 1, 2 punch at WR. Forte is a very good back and Cutler an above average QB. I really don't know what they need except more defensive help. More of a pass rush, stop the run. Every pick in the draft should be defense and they need to pick up a fA or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alshon won my league for me. I got him early and never lost a game once I got him in my flex spot alongside Desean and Antonio Brown.

Calvin

Gordon

AJ Green

Julio Jones
No, he is not.
Not sure where you are getting this notion. Josh Gordon has said himself he is only one strike away from a one year suspension:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/09/cleveland_browns_josh_gordon_n.html
This article breaks it down nicely (I think donkshow originally posted it in another thread):

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/10/29/5041534/josh-gordon-and-the-mythical-season-long-ban

After reading the article, you can see how many (including Gordon) are confused by the whole thing.

Brandon Marshall: Alshon Jeffery No. 2 after Megatron

By Kevin Patra

Around the League writer

Brandon Marshall agrees with the "Around The League" top wide-receiver duo rankings.

The Chicago Bears' receiver said that he and Alshon Jeffery are the top pass-catching tandem in the NFL during an interview on NFL Network's "NFL AM" Tuesday morning.

Marshall's answer to the follow-up question was even more interesting. NFL Media's Mark Kriegel asked the Pro Bowl receiver how he'd rank the league's top receivers.

Marshall conceded that Calvin Johnson's numbers put him at the top. But who else is ahead of Marshall?

"Alshon Jeffery," Marshall said.

When pressed on why he'd rank the Bears' second-year receiver above himself, Marshall said it had to do with the strides Jeffery made this season. But that doesn't mean he's lost faith in himself.

"We are two different receivers," Marshall said. "...If I had to build an organization the first receiver I'd pick is myself. I have that much confidence in myself."

Marshall is doubling down on his comments from earlier this season that Jeffery could be the best wide receiver to ever don a Bears uniform.

It's not a surprise to talent scouts that Jeffery could surpass Marshall in the receiving pecking order. NFL Films senior producer Greg Cosell told the "Around The League Podcast" back in October that, "ability-wise," it's not a stretch to think Jeffery ultimatley could be the better receiver.

It seemed hyperbolic to hear Marshall gush earlier in the season. After witnessing Jeffery's improvement over 16 games, however, none of the accolades sound that outlandish.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" recap all the Wild Card Weekend action.

I've had a ton of offers for him already in the dynasty league I own him in. I'm having a hard time thinking about moving him. It would take alot. He, Julio, and Hopkins could be a force a WR for me for the next few years.

I've had a ton of offers for him already in the dynasty league I own him in. I'm having a hard time thinking about moving him. It would take alot. He, Julio, and Hopkins could be a force a WR for me for the next few years.
With much of Jeffery's success having been with McCown, is it possible Jeffery is a great candidate to sell high, now that Cutler was given the new long-term deal?

With much of Jeffery's success having been with McCown, is it possible Jeffery is a great candidate to sell high, now that Cutler was given the new long-term deal?
Maybe? But it's not like Jeffery was crap with Cutler either.

5/107/1 @DET

10/218/1 @NO

9/114/0 vs DET

In the 10 full games Cutler played he had 51/798/3. Take that for a full season and you'd get 82/1277/5. Not bad numbers.

Rotoworld:

Alshon Jeffery will replace Calvin Johnson (knee) in the Pro Bowl.

It's a well-deserved honor for Jeffery. In just his second NFL season, he put up 89 catches for 1,421 yards with seven touchdowns while grading out as Pro Football Focus' No. 8 wideout. He'll join Brandon Marshall as the first duo of Bears receivers ever selected to the Pro Bowl in the same year.

Related: Calvin Johnson

5/107/1 @DET

10/218/1 @NO

9/114/0 vs DET

In the 10 full games Cutler played he had 51/798/3. Take that for a full season and you'd get 82/1277/5. Not bad numbers.

No but not top 7 wr status either which is where he will be expected and drafted from here on out...... Marshall gets a bump with Cutler.

5/107/1 @DET

10/218/1 @NO

9/114/0 vs DET

No but not top 7 wr status either which is where he will be expected and drafted from here on out...... Marshall gets a bump with Cutler.
The only guys I feel confident in saying they're better right now are: Calvin, Julio, AJ, Dez, Marshall, Demaryius and Gordon. Could maybe argue Antonio Brown. So at worst, he's a top 8-10 WR probably going into next year. So if someone is taking him at WR7, I don't think I could argue much about that.

Greg Cosell’s Look Ahead: Alshon Jeffery is becoming a star receiver for ChicagoBy Greg Cosell December 7, 2013 6:49 PM

(click on the linked article to see the related photos)

Excerpt:

When I started really getting into college evaluation for the NFL draft about eight or nine years ago, one of the things I had trouble with was projecting bigger receivers in the NFL.

Size receivers rarely look fast on film when they run. I was wrong on some guys because I would note that they weren’t fast. They’d do well in the pros and I’d wonder what I was missing. Then I started to look at the big guys differently. Their stride length is so long, that makes their speed. It seems like they eat up 15 yards in three steps.

Alshon Jeffery, a second-round pick by the Bears in 2012, has some of those traits. He’s not as purely explosive as a guy like Randy Moss was, for example, but he eats up ground so fast.

There was a play against Minnesota that really stands out to me. It was a 19-yard catch and it shows Jeffery's explosion.

The Vikings double teamed Brandon Marshall, and Vikings rookie cornerback Xavier Rhodes took Jeffery. Off the snap, Jeffery swatted Rhodes away like he was flicking a fly off of him. And Rhodes is 6-1, 210 pounds, he's not a 5-10, 185-pound type of cornerback. And Jeffery swatted him away like he's not there. Then he gets separation and gets the first down.

To me that play is far more representative of what he can do than a deep throw. Everyone knew you could throw it deep to this guy, but people didn’t know he could make this type of play.

He has size, strength, long strides and great hands. Because of that stride length he’s a deep threat, and because of his size and hands he can make contested catches. He's pretty impressive, and should be a good receiver for the Bears for years to come.

5/107/1 @DET

10/218/1 @NO

9/114/0 vs DET

The only guys I feel confident in saying they're better right now are: Calvin, Julio, AJ, Dez, Marshall, Demaryius and Gordon. Could maybe argue Antonio Brown. So at worst, he's a top 8-10 WR probably going into next year. So if someone is taking him at WR7, I don't think I could argue much about that.
I'll put Jeffery behind only Calvin, AJ, and Dez,. The kid is special, and he's only getting started.

So was he on pace for a bigger game? He missed the 4th qtr and OT with a strained hammy, but it doesn't look serious going forward.

Did he have more targets than Marshall up to that point?

Darryl Talley said:
So was he on pace for a bigger game? He missed the 4th qtr and OT with a strained hammy, but it doesn't look serious going forward.

Did he have more targets than Marshall up to that point?
I'm not sure of the exact stats, but they were about even at the time he went down.

Rotoworld:

Alshon Jeffery (hamstring) escaped Sunday's win over the 49ers without setbacks.

He'll be good to go for Week 3 against the Jets' shaky secondary, and is getting an extra day of rest with the game coming on Monday night. Likely still playing at less than 100 percent health, Jeffery will be a borderline WR1.

Source: Rich Campbell on Twitter
Sep 16 - 2:53 PM

Hoping for coming out party for 2014 on MNF. Extra day for the hammy..Jets have stout run D and terrible back 4. Time for Alshon to beast.

Rotoworld:

Alshon Jeffery (hamstring) is officially listed as questionable for Week 3.

Jeffery practiced on a limited basis throughout the week. He's expected to play despite being listed as questionable, but will likely be at less than 100 percent health. Jeffery is Rotoworld's No. 9 receiver against the Jets.

Sep 20 - 2:20 PM

Hmm. Why is he listed as questionable if he played last week?
He was awfully gimpy last week, although there were no setbacks afterwards with his hamstring. He has partially practiced all week, everything I have read expects him to suit up but not be explosive like we are used to seeing.

Rotoworld:

Alshon Jeffery - WR - Bears

Alshon Jeffery caught eight passes for 105 yards in the Bears' Week 3 win over the Jets.

With Brandon Marshall (ankle) clearly not 100 percent, Jeffery saw a team-high 13 targets. His big catch was a 42-yard gain down the left sideline in Antonio Allen's coverage. Jeffery also drew a 33-yard DPI penalty against Darrin Walls. Both plays led to scores for the Bears. Jeffery could have caught a touchdown, but Jay Cutler overshot him on a 2nd-and-3 pass in the end zone. Jeffery looked like his hamstring wasn't a problem. He'll be a WR1/2 next week vs. Green Bay.

Sep 23 - 12:13 AM

Alright, so real question here, have we seen Alshon's ceiling? At least as far as being on the bears roster with Marshall? The more I think about it, the more I find myself doubting we'll ever see him coming close to last year's numbers again at least in his current situation.

No, I think as Marshall loses his physicality, Jeffery develops his savvy. The OC/Cutler has to see that. Really like the guy, Cutler's crutch of throwing almost blindly to Marshall has to swing the other way IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread