What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Matt Ryan, IND (2 Viewers)

Matt Ryan completed 30-of-36 passes for 356 yards and four touchdowns in the Falcons' Week 6 loss to the Cardinals.

The Falcons were trailing for most of the game, but Ryan was orchestrating a nice comeback performance, hitting Austin Hooper, Calvin Ridley and Devonta Freeman (x2) for touchdowns. With a few minutes remaining, Ryan marched downfield for a score to set up the tie with the extra point, but Matt Bryant shanked it left. It's been a rough weekend for kickers in the state of Georgia. With the miss, the Falcons fell to 1-5, which puts a ton of pressure on Dan Quinn and the rest of the coaching staff. For fantasy purposes, Ryan is as reliable as it gets. He has 300+ yards in every game and is averaging 2.5 passing touchdowns. Ryan will be a QB1 at home next week against the Rams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt Ryan was forced from the Falcons' Week 7 game against the Rams with a right leg injury.

Still quarterbacking with the Falcons down 27-3 in the fourth quarter, Ryan got strip sacked by Aaron Donald and came up majorly hobbled. He spent some time in the injury tent before dragging his right leg all the way to the locker room. It did not look promising. The Falcons are at home against the Seahawks in Week 8 before going on their bye. It appears Ryan might miss his first game in 153 starts. Matt Schaub, somehow, is the backup. Ryan was having a nightmare day before going down, completing 16-of-27 passes for 159 scoreless yards and a pick.
*sigh*

just traded him away before kickoff for Deebo in a PPR dynasty. Honestly feel bad for the owner who acquired him, hope Ryan is okay. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Matt Ryan (ankle) will undergo an MRI on Monday, but that the Falcons do not believe his injury is serious.

Ryan was spotted in a walking boot, but those are often precautionary. Ryan was having a difficult time dragging himself to the locker room as he departed on Sunday. The fact that an MRI is required at all signals some degree of worry. Even if Ryan gets his expected good news, Week 8 could be a challenge, especially with the 1-6 Falcons headed on bye for Week 9.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Oct 21, 2019, 1:09 AM ET

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Matt Ryan is believed to be dealing with a sprained right ankle.

Ryan departed in a walking boot Sunday and will head for further tests Monday, which should confirm his sprained ankle. Per Rapoport, the injury is something Ryan can "manage," suggesting he could be available for Week 8. If he guts it out against the Seahawks this week, Ryan would then have the Falcons' Week 9 bye to get healthy. Journeyman Matt Schaub replaced Ryan after his exit Sunday against the Rams. That was the Falcons' fifth straight defeat.

RELATED: 

Matt Schaub

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 21, 2019, 8:55 AM ET

I'd anticipate him sitting with the bye week next week and them being 1-5 already.  We saw Mahomes and his high ankle, even though it wasn't related he wasn't himself.

Coach Dan Quinn wouldn't rule out Matt Ryan (ankle) for the Falcons' Week 8 matchup against the Seahawks.

Quinn confirmed a report that Ryan is dealing with a sprained right ankle and noted the Falcons QB is already running in the pool as part of his rehab. The Falcons head coach also stated, "Hopefully it's not a long-term thing and more a shorter-term thing." Ryan won't practice Wednesday, but his participation throughout the rest of the week should tell us a lot. He's shaping up as a true game-time decision ahead of Sunday. 38-year-old Matt Schaub would get the start if Ryan is ultimately sidelined.

SOURCE: Jason Butt on Twitter.

Oct 21, 2019, 3:36 PM ET

Falcons have been so surprisingly bad this year, tied for the worst record in the NFC with a team they seem to be much better than (Skins) but clearly not in terms of their ability to win games.

Really tough to call whether the team tries to push Ryan to start because every win counts if they have a hope in heck of contending for a Wild Card spot, or whether they simply shelve him for a game and through the bye as the season is already lost.

At this point I am pretty sure it's the latter in terms of there currently being less than a 1% chance they make the playoffs at 1-6.

Falcons have been so surprisingly bad this year, tied for the worst record in the NFC with a team they seem to be much better than (Skins) but clearly not in terms of their ability to win games.

Really tough to call whether the team tries to push Ryan to start because every win counts if they have a hope in heck of contending for a Wild Card spot, or whether they simply shelve him for a game and through the bye as the season is already lost.

At this point I am pretty sure it's the latter in terms of there currently being less than a 1% chance they make the playoffs at 1-6.
I believe he has a consecutive games started streak at stake here (153 in the regular season).  It ranks 5th all-time.  Ryan doesn’t strike me as someone concerned with individual accomplishments.  But I’d be surprised if that one wasn’t important to him...perhaps even more so given the Falcons plight this year.  If it’s borderline, I think he’ll go.

Matt Ryan (ankle) did not practice Wednesday.

Per coach Dan Quinn, Ryan is still expected to play Sunday against the Seahawks. He was never going to practice Wednesday and may not Thursday either. For now, Ryan owners can tentatively expect to have him for Week 8.

SOURCE: Joe Fann on Twitter

Oct 23, 2019, 1:03 PM ET

How effective can he be on that ankle? He never was mobile to begin with but I'd imagine they'd try and move him off his spot ... Bridgewater or Ryan are my options with Lamar on bye, anybody else going elsewhere if he plays?

How effective can he be on that ankle? He never was mobile to begin with but I'd imagine they'd try and move him off his spot ... Bridgewater or Ryan are my options with Lamar on bye, anybody else going elsewhere if he plays?
I think I'm going Carr over Ryan this week.  Not a fan of the immobile Ryan with a bad ankle.  That O line stinks.  

He’s my only QB in one league, and I don’t want to drop anyone to add a QB.

If he’s starting for Atl he’s starting for me 

Matt Ryan (ankle) remained sidelined for Thursday's practice.

Desperate coach Dan Quinn has said Ryan will play Sunday, but back-to-back DNPs have the situation getting dicier. Even a "limited" day Friday would have Ryan fully on track to start. The 1-6 Falcons' season is long since over, but prideful Ryan could also be looking to keep his consecutive games played (154) streak alive. It's the fifth-longest streak in NFL history. Atlanta heads on bye for Week 9.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 24, 2019, 2:03 PM ET

I am thinking about Mason Rudolph vs Miami for this one instead of Ryan.

I have no doubt Quinn wants Ryan in there (to try and retain his job) and Ryan and the team wants him to go (to try and salvage a season and possible, per @TheDirtyWord's point, a star record).

What worries me is re-injury. 

I fear that with the Falcons' O-line being what it is, Ryan gets sacked early and often and re-injures the ankle giving us a similar stat line as last week.

Can't afford the loss. 

Rudolph has a tasty matchup, but the Carr alternative is interesting -- may be PIT gets up early and often on MIA and simply runs the ball. Carr at least will need to score to keep up and win vs the Texans.

I am thinking about Mason Rudolph vs Miami for this one instead of Ryan.

I have no doubt Quinn wants Ryan in there (to try and retain his job) and Ryan and the team wants him to go (to try and salvage a season and possible, per @TheDirtyWord's point, a star record).

What worries me is re-injury. 

I fear that with the Falcons' O-line being what it is, Ryan gets sacked early and often and re-injures the ankle giving us a similar stat line as last week.

Can't afford the loss. 

Rudolph has a tasty matchup, but the Carr alternative is interesting -- may be PIT gets up early and often on MIA and simply runs the ball. Carr at least will need to score to keep up and win vs the Texans.
You be happy to know that I'm rolling with Carr.   

You be happy to know that I'm rolling with Carr.   
I am -- not because you bleed Silver and Black, but because I think that game could be a shootout.

Strange but tonight's game cemented me sitting Ryan (assuming he's playing).

Opponent has Cousins who only put up just shy of 12 points in my league.

Now, you ALWAYS want to put in the player you think will put up the most points as you need every single one.

But in this case, I think I can be safe by avoiding Ryan's downside of getting dinged again by taking a QB like Rudolph who is likely to match Cousins' output. 

Plus I like that he goes on Monday night -- will either be icing on cake or at least give me a shot to come from behind as my opponent is done Sun night.

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
I am -- not because you bleed Silver and Black, but because I think that game could be a shootout.

Strange but tonight's game cemented me sitting Ryan (assuming he's playing).

Opponent has Cousins who only put up just shy of 12 points in my league.

Now, you ALWAYS want to put in the player you think will put up the most points as you need every single one.

But in this case, I think I can be safe by avoiding Ryan's downside of getting dinged again by taking a QB like Rudolph who is likely to match Cousins' output. 

Plus I like that he goes on Monday night -- will either be icing on cake or at least give me a shot to come from behind as my opponent is done Sun night.
Interesting. I have Jackson and Ryan and would have to drop someone I'd really rather not drop to pick up another QB. My opponent's quiet Thursday night has me more inclined to risk Ryan not less.

Matt Ryan (ankle) is questionable for Week 8 against the Seahawks.

Coach Dan Quinn said Ryan's status will be determined on Saturday. Ryan, who hasn't missed a start in over a decade, resumed practicing Friday after sitting out both Wednesday and Thursday's sessions. We're guessing Matty Ice will play through his ankle sprain, though if the injury proves too much for him, veteran clipboard-holder Matt Schaub will be at the ready. Given how things are going, this could very well be the final game of Quinn's Atlanta tenure.

SOURCE: Kelsey Conway on Twitter

Oct 25, 2019, 12:49 PM ET

Falcons to sign QB Danny Etling off practice squad, which means Matt Ryan is likely out Sunday

I believe it, too. Or at least give Ryan the first snap and run the ball to preserve his starting streak and hand the reins to Schaub.

So...what are we doing? I am trying to rank these replacements for Ryan:

Schaub v SEA

Carr @ HOU

Mason v MIA

Jones @ DET

Moore v GB

Trubisky v LAC
Crap, now that you said about him starting then leaving I have to pick someone up and bench Ryan

Falcons to sign QB Danny Etling off practice squad, which means Matt Ryan is likely out Sunday

I believe it, too. Or at least give Ryan the first snap and run the ball to preserve his starting streak and hand the reins to Schaub.

So...what are we doing? I am trying to rank these replacements for Ryan:

Schaub v SEA

Carr @ HOU

Mason v MIA

Jones @ DET

Moore v GB

Trubisky v LAC
Carr @ HOU. It should be high scoring.  He's done OK vs some good defenses - GB, IND, MIN. Caveat - if Tyrell doesn't play,  Mason or Schaub would be an option. Mason because of Miami and Schaub could get some garbage time points.

I have Winston on my bench warming up, although I also have Tannehill on the phone in case I want to pick him up.  I'm looking at a 2 game stretch since Ryan is on bye next week:

Winston - @Ten/@Sea  (meh)

Tannehill - TB/@Car  (good wk 8, not so wk 9)

Other possibilities:

Jones - @Det/Dal (ugh)

Schaub - Sea/bye (no)

K. Allen - @SF/Ten (meh, no thanks)

Fitzpatrick - @Pit/NYJ (eh? - will watch Monday to see if he could even be considered for wk 9)

Flacco - @Ind/Cle (too bad for even a consideration)

Maybe I should be thinking Tannehill wk 8, then Fitzpatrick wk 9.  It all sucks.

Carr @ HOU. It should be high scoring.  He's done OK vs some good defenses - GB, IND, MIN. Caveat - if Tyrell doesn't play,  Mason or Schaub would be an option. Mason because of Miami and Schaub could get some garbage time points.
I think I would start Mason if he was available.

I have Winston on my bench warming up, although I also have Tannehill on the phone in case I want to pick him up.  I'm looking at a 2 game stretch since Ryan is on bye next week:

Other possibilities:

Jones - @Det/Dal (ugh)

Schaub - Sea/bye (no)

Fitzpatrick - @Pit/NYJ (eh? - will watch Monday to see if he could even be considered for wk 9)

Maybe I should be thinking Tannehill wk 8, then Fitzpatrick wk 9.  It all sucks.
This is what I’m doing, picked up Tannehill today. Planning to drop him for Fitzmagic tues night 

Other possibilities:

Jones - @Det/Dal (ugh)

Schaub - Sea/bye (no)

I like Tannehill over those other options this week. Game script and the ability of TB to completely bottle up the run should force TEN towards passing the ball.

Who out there is dumping Matt Ryan? I am concerned about him in a lost year, that line is going to get him hurt and even if it doesn't wouldn't they be better off going into tank mode? I love the game scripts, it's how he is pulling in the numbers he has but it's hard to envision him being a top 5-7 play from now through 16. 

Or does he come out of the bye week fired up and continue his pace the rest of the way? Would really like to just cut bait and pick up Cam and ride Winston for a bit. 

Who out there is dumping Matt Ryan? I am concerned about him in a lost year, that line is going to get him hurt and even if it doesn't wouldn't they be better off going into tank mode? I love the game scripts, it's how he is pulling in the numbers he has but it's hard to envision him being a top 5-7 play from now through 16. 

Or does he come out of the bye week fired up and continue his pace the rest of the way? Would really like to just cut bait and pick up Cam and ride Winston for a bit. 
Didn't enter my mind in the least.

Despite the team having a poor showing in a lost year, Ryan is Top 10 (ranked 8th in my league). This team will definitely be struggling to keep up with other teams offensively which means game script favors his fantasy outlook. Ryan has fantastic receivers and a very good pass-catching back in Freeman.

If Ryan was working through the first half of the season with this squad, it seems foolish to jettison him now based on an ankle sprain.

My only concern is who the best FA backup might be to cover his bye this coming week.

Coach Dan Quinn anticipates Matt Ryan (ankle) being ready for the Falcons' Week 10 matchup against the Saints.

The Falcons have a Week 9 bye, but Quinn said that Ryan would be close to a go if there was a game this week. Matt Schaub threw for 460 yards in relief in Week 8, but nearly all of the production came with the outcome already decided. The Falcons trailed the Seahawks 24-0 at halftime during in Week 8 loss.

SOURCE: Vaughn McClure on Twitter.

Oct 28, 2019, 3:43 PM ET

Atlanta and Chicago are probably the two most disappointing teams not named Cleveland this year.  There really isn't much reason for them to not be more relevant. 

Any injury updates? I see he didn't practice yesterday. Any concerns about the high ankle sprain going forward?
Until full report on Wednesday, we won't know much, but imagine this is just giving Ryan as much time off the ankle as possible.

While he doesn't mention Ryan specifically, Quinn intimated as such:

“A couple guys, who are injured and we intentionally held them all today,” Falcons coach Dan Quinn said. “Just to max out as much time as we could. Full injury report on Wednesday. The good news is a lot of those guys made good progress.
ETA: Last week, Quinn said Ryan would have been close to a go had their been a game this past weekend. I think he'll be ready to go unless there is a setback this week in practice.

I am more concerned about how reliable a fantasy option Ryan is altogether going forward. He seems to have performed despite the team around him from a fantasy perspective, but their season is essentially over, and wonder if we can truly depend on Ryan as a set-and-forget option.

Until full report on Wednesday, we won't know much, but imagine this is just giving Ryan as much time off the ankle as possible.

I am more concerned about how reliable a fantasy option Ryan is altogether going forward. He seems to have performed despite the team around him from a fantasy perspective, but their season is essentially over, and wonder if we can truly depend on Ryan as a set-and-forget option.
FBG seems to believe in him and has him as QB4 ROS.

Debating this myself regarding Ryan, as I don't have full confidence in my other 2 QB's...Goff and Josh Allen.

Debating this myself regarding Ryan, as I don't have full confidence in my other 2 QB's...Goff and Josh Allen.
Same issue I have with a competitive team. QB is a definite weakness and I have the opportunity to trade for Ryan. Just need to be sure his ankle is good before I pull the trigger. Him not practicing yet (as of yesterday) gives me pause.

ETA: Last week, Quinn said Ryan would have been close to a go had their been a game this past weekend. I think he'll be ready to go unless there is a setback this week in practice.

I may have to roll with Carr again, and that hasn't been too bad the last couple of weeks.   If there is any doubt that Ryan plays, I have to make that decision early since the Raiders are beating the Chargers on Thursday eve.   😉

Matt Ryan (ankle) was limited in Wednesday's practice.

The Falcons are coming off their bye. Matt Schaub started Week 8 after Ryan was injured in the second half of Week 7. It would be a surprise if Ryan didn't start and play this week against the Saints where he'll be a back-end QB1 in a tough matchup.

SOURCE: Vaughn McClure on Twitter

Nov 6, 2019, 12:46 PM ET

I may have to roll with Carr again, and that hasn't been too bad the last couple of weeks.   If there is any doubt that Ryan plays, I have to make that decision early since the Raiders are beating the Chargers on Thursday eve.   😉
I'm with you, my huckleberry. Carr just hit my wire.

With Engram out and facing other byes/injuries, I am praying for some confirmation before Thursday that Ryan plays.

If not, I might be going 0-2 these next few weeks and needing to drop some guys I really, truly don't want/can't afford to drop.

I'm with you, my huckleberry. Carr just hit my wire.

With Engram out and facing other byes/injuries, I am praying for some confirmation before Thursday that Ryan plays.

If not, I might be going 0-2 these next few weeks and needing to drop some guys I really, truly don't want/can't afford to drop.
You have to win games now even if it hurts later.   Have to get into the playoffs to win in the playoffs.   

Matt Ryan (ankle) remained "limited" in Thursday's practice.

The Falcons haven't quite come out and said it, but all signs continue to point toward Ryan returning for Sunday's game in the Superdome. Even for a tough matchup with a red-hot defense, Ryan will be a mid-range QB1 for a domed showdown with a 51.5 over/under.

Nov 7, 2019, 4:41 PM ET

@Stompin' Tom Connors.  Well, do we just roll with Carr tonight or assume Ryan is playing.   I could drop Carr and pick up someone like Tannehill but that seems scary.   
Saw this late -- 20/20 hindsight, but Carr wouldn't have returned good fantasy dividends tonight.

I am all in on Ryan at this point -- with Engram out had to drop Jones to pick up a TE. If Rivers doesn't play, in a 14-team short-bench league, I am going to have to drop someone I really, really don't want to drop. 

Thoughts and prayers.

Saw this late -- 20/20 hindsight, but Carr wouldn't have returned good fantasy dividends tonight.

I am all in on Ryan at this point -- with Engram out had to drop Jones to pick up a TE. If Rivers doesn't play, in a 14-team short-bench league, I am going to have to drop someone I really, really don't want to drop. 

Thoughts and prayers.
I rolled out Carr and at least got something.  200 yards and a TD is nothing for Ryan but acceptable for a Carr start.   WW is empty.  Can't get a 0 if Ryan has a set back.  

Users who are viewing this thread