What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your DST is going up against one of you Studs (1 Viewer)

NCPanthersFan

Footballguy
I tried searching on this topic. I am sure it is buried somewhere but I was not having any luck.

Do you typically care if your starting DST is going up against any of your studs? Is it just superstition if you feel more comfortable avoiding it? For the 1st time ever I took a top rated defense instead of pooling 2-3 (Philly). Now I am in a spot where I have a couple of BLT studs going up against them. I feel like I am minimizing my upside - is that true?

I tried searching on this topic. I am sure it is buried somewhere but I was not having any luck.Do you typically care if your starting DST is going up against any of your studs? Is it just superstition if you feel more comfortable avoiding it? For the 1st time ever I took a top rated defense instead of pooling 2-3 (Philly). Now I am in a spot where I have a couple of BLT studs going up against them. I feel like I am minimizing my upside - is that true?
Maybe, but you can't know for sure. If there were a larger set to work with (100 teams, 50 games) you could work around it. But my rule of thumb is to treat offensive studs playing top defenses as if I didn't own the D. So if you have Mega and SF D and you would start mega and/or SF D if you only owned one of them, then start them both.

Just drop the Eagles D. :shrug:

(I know that sounds nuts, but I'm not generally interested in D/ST's going up against teams with too many "studs", so I highly doubt you'd actually regret dropping them, if this is really a concern for you)

Or bench your BLT studs.

If you aren't interested in doing either of those, I'm not sure what the dilemma is.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you believe they are your best options at their respective positions, start them both.

I feel like I am minimizing my upside - is that true?
In theory, you may be slightly reducing your chances of an absurdly high-scoring week. As in, if you have a stud QB and the defense he's facing, it's probably unlikely that the QB goes off for 350 yards and 4 TDs while your defense also has an amazing fantasy day. So if you know in advance that you need a combined 80 fantasy points out of your QB and defense, it may not make sense to start ones that are facing each other. But that's hardly a realistic scenario. In reality, start them both with confidence.

I'm in a league that takes into account yardage given up and points scored against in addition to turnovers for defense (and it's pretty harsh in terms of yardage - lose points off the max yardage for every 50 yards given up up to -8 if it goes over 400).

I've been told I'm wrong numerous times, but, in this format, I really don't like having my defense going up against my studs, particularly my QB. It does limit my upside. Unless it's a really crazy game where the defense gets a few pick-sixes and my QB still puts up 4+ TDs, then there is no way I can get big numbers from both my QB and defense. And, for every 50 yards and every point my offensive players put up against my defense, my defensive score is going down. For every INT my defense gets, my QB score is going down by the same amount (+2 INTs for defenses and -2 INTs for QBs). The same is true for fumbles. On the flip side, it makes turnovers by your studs pretty much irrelevant. The points are tacked onto my defense, obviously.

That being said, if there were no other somewhat viable options out there, I'd go with what I have, but I usually employ a rent-a-defense strategy anyway. So, that's usually my tiebreaker. If the defenses available all look somewhat close, I'll pick the defenses that aren't going up against my studs, if possible.

This is dumb, who would bench or drop (if you only carry one defense) a defense like San Fran, Baltimore or others because they are playing against the Lions, Patriots, Saints, Green Bay. I guess no quarterback in the history of football has ever thrown 300 + yards and 3 touchdowns and a pick 6, or been sacked 4 or 5 times, or had a fumble or 2. If you have studs you start them, even if it is defense.

If I dont have a spot to keep my assumed stud D and the player inquestion I play both.

If I can afford to roster a 2nd defense I always pick one up in this situation.

I reject the idea that ranking players in a vacuum vs a team defense will net a positive outcome. Your betting against two positions

You start who you think will score the most points for your team. You'll be in multiple leagues and you'll have a kicker for one team as well as the Qb on the same team in another. Just evaluate who you think is your best start and roll with it. Usually getting too cute will come back to haunt you.

I just start the players that I feel give me the best chance to win every week regardless of my other starters or my opponent's other starters.

If I dont have a spot to keep my assumed stud D and the player inquestion I play both.If I can afford to roster a 2nd defense I always pick one up in this situation.I reject the idea that ranking players in a vacuum vs a team defense will net a positive outcome. Your betting against two positions
Reject it all you want, but the number of fantasy points your starting QB scores this week is independent of whether or not you start the defense he's facing. The fact that you own them both and may or may not start them both has no impact on how many points they're going to score - in fact, I bet they're not even aware they're on your fantasy team. If you honestly think that the defense you're picking up will score more points than your "stud D" then by all means start them. But if you're just benching your stud D because they're playing against your QB, you're making a mistake.

You start who you think will score the most points for your team. You'll be in multiple leagues and you'll have a kicker for one team as well as the Qb on the same team in another. Just evaluate who you think is your best start and roll with it. Usually getting too cute will come back to haunt you.
I was assuming he meant for the same team (ie, Team A is starting Eagles D/ST and Ray Rice, who are opponents this week), and the situation is completely different when it doesnt involve a defense.A defense doing well does not mean your stud player (in my example Rice) will have a bad game. A stud player doing well guarantees that the defense he is playing will lose considerable points.By starting both, you are betting against both.

I was assuming he meant for the same team (ie, Team A is starting Eagles D/ST and Ray Rice, who are opponents this week), and the situation is completely different when it doesnt involve a defense.A defense doing well does not mean your stud player (in my example Rice) will have a bad game. A stud player doing well guarantees that the defense he is playing will lose considerable points.By starting both, you are betting against both.
Maybe I'm not understanding Run It Up but I personally don't care about who's playing who in terms of players on my team. I evaluate each player on my team and play who I think will score the most points.Do you sit GB defense to play some other D if you have Bear players if GB defense is your best defense.......not me.

If I dont have a spot to keep my assumed stud D and the player inquestion I play both.If I can afford to roster a 2nd defense I always pick one up in this situation.I reject the idea that ranking players in a vacuum vs a team defense will net a positive outcome. Your betting against two positions
Reject it all you want, but the number of fantasy points your starting QB scores this week is independent of whether or not you start the defense he's facing. The fact that you own them both and may or may not start them both has no impact on how many points they're going to score - in fact, I bet they're not even aware they're on your fantasy team. If you honestly think that the defense you're picking up will score more points than your "stud D" then by all means start them. But if you're just benching your stud D because they're playing against your QB, you're making a mistake.
The number of points they score is not independent of each other, though. Depending on scoring, you cannot have one do well and the other do well, too. I'm not sure why that's such a crazy concept.

Maybe I'm not understanding Run It Up but I personally don't care about who's playing who in terms of players on my team. I evaluate each player on my team and play who I think will score the most points.Do you sit GB defense to play some other D if you have Bear players if GB defense is your best defense.......not me.
Obviously you would project their performances in a vacuum, but starting them is a different thing altogether, the two go hand in hand but are still seperate.What im saying is why take your own points off the board? Why give your opponent an advantage?To answer your question, yes If I had Marshall or Forte or even Cutler I would have benched the GBs defense - Unless I didnt have room on my bench to roster a second defense. In that case I would have tried to move my roster around to minimize both negative outcomes.

The number of points they score is not independent of each other, though. Depending on scoring, you cannot have one do well and the other do well, too. I'm not sure why that's such a crazy concept.
It's not at all a crazy concept. In extremely limited and specific circumstances it could be quite useful to take that fact into consideration. For example, if you find yourself in the unlikely position that you are down by 55 points going into the Monday night game, and you have one of the starting QBs and both of the defenses in the MNF game, then you'd be wise to employ the strategy of starting the QB and defense on the same team as opposed to the QB and the opposing team's defense. But that's a rare circumstance.For the other 99.9999999999999% of the time you have to make these lineup decisions on Sunday morning, that's not something you should really be taking into consideration. As you say, you may determine that in your scoring system, you cannot have your QB and his opposing defense both do well. So? How do you know which one to bench? If you decide to bench your defense in favor of another one you picked up as a free agent, and it turns out your QB has a bad game (and therefore the defense you benched has a good game) you just shot yourself in the foot by benching a good defense in favor of a lesser defense. One strategy is higher-variance than the other, but at the beginning of the week you don't really have any idea whether it's in your best interest to employ a higher- or lower-variance strategy at the QB/defense pair. The best you can do is look at each position individually and start the player that you project to score more points.For example, you have Matt Stafford and the 49ers defense (who are facing each other this week). Say the best defense available on the waiver wire is the Rams. On any other week, you'd never think of picking up the Rams and starting them over the 49ers. You always have the 49ers projected to score more points than the Rams. The fact that you happen to have Matt Stafford on your roster doesn't change that. You point out that the points scored by Stafford and the 49ers aren't independent, but that's the wrong comparison. More important is the fact that the points scored by the 49ers defense and the Rams defense ARE independent. Either the 49ers will score more points than the Rams, or the Rams will score more points than the 49ers. You want to start the one that will score more points. If you project the 49ers to score more points than the Rams, and your interest is scoring the most fantasy points (which it obviously is), then you should start the 49ers. The fact that you're also starting Stafford is irrelevant.

Obviously you would project their performances in a vacuum, but starting them is a different thing altogether, the two go hand in hand but are still seperate.

What im saying is why take your own points off the board? Why give your opponent an advantage?
What makes you think that you're giving your opponent an advantage by starting them together?
To answer your question, yes If I had Marshall or Forte or even Cutler I would have benched the GBs defense - Unless I didnt have room on my bench to roster a second defense. In that case I would have tried to move my roster around to minimize both negative outcomes.
Right, so you've just provided a perfect example of how this can totally backfire. Say you had Cutler and benched the GB defense. Well now you have a ####ty score at QB AND you left a ton of points on your bench at defense. Like I said, if you really believed ahead of time that Waiver Wire Defense X was going to score more points than the Packers defense this week, then by all means pick up defense X and start them. But if you were just benching the Packers defense because you also had Cutler, then you made a mistake.

For the other 99.9999999999999% of the time you have to make these lineup decisions on Sunday morning, that's not something you should really be taking into consideration. As you say, you may determine that in your scoring system, you cannot have your QB and his opposing defense both do well. So? How do you know which one to bench?
The one that is easily replaceable.The one that is negatively affected by your studs performance on top of every other player on that team.

You can obviously be wrong, as with any other decision, but choosing to start both puts a ceiling on both positions, I asked a simple question - why do that?

You keep giving scenarios that are completely irrelevant. If its a bad defense, take your chances with the one you have. If you dont have a bench slot, dont worry about it.

But if you have a bench slot and there are defenses available (I dont know what league you play in where the best available defense is the rams, there are 9 D/STs available in my 14 team 18 man roster league, Browns/Bucs/Saints/Lions - all available) theres no benefit to starting both a defense you own and a stud player playing them. Your stud player can still have a crap day and your defense still get blown out. There is a very small chance for a double positive outcome.

I rarely run into this problem because I dont draft defenses till the 2nd to last round and play the wire, but if you wanna start the niners all year go nuts, just have fun putting a ceiling on your weekly point production (provided one of your players is also playing them) - I cant in good conscience do that.

It's not at all a crazy concept. In extremely limited and specific circumstances it could be quite useful to take that fact into consideration. For example, if you find yourself in the unlikely position that you are down by 55 points going into the Monday night game, and you have one of the starting QBs and both of the defenses in the MNF game, then you'd be wise to employ the strategy of starting the QB and defense on the same team as opposed to the QB and the opposing team's defense. But that's a rare circumstance.For the other 99.9999999999999% of the time you have to make these lineup decisions on Sunday morning, that's not something you should really be taking into consideration. As you say, you may determine that in your scoring system, you cannot have your QB and his opposing defense both do well. So? How do you know which one to bench? If you decide to bench your defense in favor of another one you picked up as a free agent, and it turns out your QB has a bad game (and therefore the defense you benched has a good game) you just shot yourself in the foot by benching a good defense in favor of a lesser defense. One strategy is higher-variance than the other, but at the beginning of the week you don't really have any idea whether it's in your best interest to employ a higher- or lower-variance strategy at the QB/defense pair. The best you can do is look at each position individually and start the player that you project to score more points.For example, you have Matt Stafford and the 49ers defense (who are facing each other this week). Say the best defense available on the waiver wire is the Rams. On any other week, you'd never think of picking up the Rams and starting them over the 49ers. You always have the 49ers projected to score more points than the Rams. The fact that you happen to have Matt Stafford on your roster doesn't change that. You point out that the points scored by Stafford and the 49ers aren't independent, but that's the wrong comparison. More important is the fact that the points scored by the 49ers defense and the Rams defense ARE independent. Either the 49ers will score more points than the Rams, or the Rams will score more points than the 49ers. You want to start the one that will score more points. If you project the 49ers to score more points than the Rams, and your interest is scoring the most fantasy points (which it obviously is), then you should start the 49ers. The fact that you're also starting Stafford is irrelevant.
This is a terrible example. You're using extremes to attempt to prove a point that's not refuted.I explicitly said that it should be used more as a tiebreaker than anything. In what world do you live in where the niners defense is remotely close to the rams? The ram defense is rarely, if ever, going to be close. And, in the rare instance it is, the fact that the defense I benched may have done well does not mean the defense I start did poorly, such that I shoot myself in the foot. That's an odd assumption to include.

While I fall in the "just play your best" camp, I don't see a problem benching a defense playing against your studs.

Again, it's a freaking defense. There are 3 kinds of them: The 49ers, those playing against competent QBs, and those playing against turnover-prone QBs.

For whatever reason, if you want to drop or bench one of the non-49er defenses, who cares? Do it. It's a defense.

You put them in against a bad QB and hope you get lucky.

And for the record, the GB on Thursday Night example goes both ways. Sure, it wouldn't have been a good idea to bench them. Not because they are a stud defense though. Because they were playing against Jay Cutler in Lambeau. Historically, that's a prime match-up for a defense.

Depending on scoring, you cannot have one do well and the other do well, too. I'm not sure why that's such a crazy concept.
Umm, sure you can. I'll bet it happens all the time with gun-slinger QBs that throw a lot of picks, or ones that take a lot of sacks. Similarly, an RB/WR could go for high receptions/yardage, only to have the D hold their offense to a couple FGs.

The number of points they score is not independent of each other, though. Depending on scoring, you cannot have one do well and the other do well, too.
Yeah, like if you had Aaron Rodgers, Jermichael Finley, and the Niners D, there's no way you could have Rodgers go off for 300 yards, Finley get 7 receptions and a TD, and the Niners D get a bunch of sacks and an INT.Oh wait...

The number of points they score is not independent of each other, though. Depending on scoring, you cannot have one do well and the other do well, too.
Yeah, like if you had Aaron Rodgers, Jermichael Finley, and the Niners D, there's no way you could have Rodgers go off for 300 yards, Finley get 7 receptions and a TD, and the Niners D get a bunch of sacks and an INT.Oh wait...
Sure. And you can end up with the 22nd best defensive score for the week and the second worst defense that was started that week like the niners were last week. Thank you for proving my point.

I played the GB D and Marshall Thursday night. Marshall had a turd of a game, but had he caught that TD pass I would have been satisfied with his numbers. I figured Cutler would struggle at Lambeau, but I thought he would force the ball a lot to Marshall, but he surprisingly didn't. On the bright side, the GB D kicked ###.

This is a terrible example. You're using extremes to attempt to prove a point that's not refuted.
I figured you guys would nitpick the specifics and miss the point. I just threw names in there to make it easier, so I wouldn't have to keep referring to "the defense that is playing against your stud QB that week" and "the waiver wire defense that isn't playing against your stud QB that week." The point wasn't really to compare the 49ers and Rams defenses, but simply to illustrate that if you have one defense projected to score more points than the other, then you should start the first defense, even if they're playing against one of your other players.
I explicitly said that it should be used more as a tiebreaker than anything.
Not in any post that I responded to. :shrug: Run It Up, who I was responding to, referred to his "stud D." All I'm saying is that you shouldn't replace a good defense with a worse defense just because the good defense is facing one of your other players. If you're simply deciding between two defenses that you have projected to score the same amount of points, then sure, use this as the tiebreaker. Or use their jersey colors. Or a coin flip. It hardly makes a difference, you're either going to guess right or guess wrong. But again, whether or not you start the right defense has nothing to do with who you start at QB.

This is a terrible example. You're using extremes to attempt to prove a point that's not refuted.
I figured you guys would nitpick the specifics and miss the point. I just threw names in there to make it easier, so I wouldn't have to keep referring to "the defense that is playing against your stud QB that week" and "the waiver wire defense that isn't playing against your stud QB that week." The point wasn't really to compare the 49ers and Rams defenses, but simply to illustrate that if you have one defense projected to score more points than the other, then you should start the first defense, even if they're playing against one of your other players.
Not in any post that I responded to. :shrug: Run It Up, who I was responding to, referred to his "stud D." All I'm saying is that you shouldn't replace a good defense with a worse defense just because the good defense is facing one of your other players. If you're simply deciding between two defenses that you have projected to score the same amount of points, then sure, use this as the tiebreaker. Or use their jersey colors. Or a coin flip. It hardly makes a difference, you're either going to guess right or guess wrong. But again, whether or not you start the right defense has nothing to do with who you start at QB.
You have it backwards. I'm starting my stud qb, regardless. And, as I've explained, in my league's scoring, the amount of yards and points my quarterback puts up directly reduces the score of the defense he is facing. Look at cal bears example and my response.I am leaving open the very real possibility that the scoring in your league is different and what I am saying may not apply for you.

You have it backwards. I'm starting my stud qb, regardless. And, as I've explained, in my league's scoring, the amount of yards and points my quarterback puts up directly reduces the score of the defense he is facing. Look at cal bears example and my response.
So if the Niners ran back Rodgers' INT for a TD, Rodgers would have scored fewer points?

You have it backwards. I'm starting my stud qb, regardless. And, as I've explained, in my league's scoring, the amount of yards and points my quarterback puts up directly reduces the score of the defense he is facing. Look at cal bears example and my response.I am leaving open the very real possibility that the scoring in your league is different and what I am saying may not apply for you.
My league scores D/ST like this too.But it matters not if my starting qb in fantasy is going up against my defense in terms of whether or not I should start that defense against my qb.Just because I own that qb and have him in my fantasy line up does not mean he is hurting my fantasy score this week. Imagine if I have Matthew Stafford this week going against the 49ers as my defense in my league. Just because both are in my starting lineup this week does not mean my team's total fantasy score suffers any more as a result of starting Stafford and the 49ers when he is playing them. They are going to score what they are going to score regardless of the makeup of your fantasy team. It appears as though he is hurting your own fantasy team when he throws 2 tds and 300 yards, but he is going to score for everybody who has him and not just you. And the 49ers will have the fantasy score based on how many yards and points they allow. But what you should really be more concerned with is if you have in your lineup, players who at the end of this week's games are the highest possible fantasy scorers in your league regardless if they are playing in real life against each other while also being on your fantasy team.

'Run It Up said:
'bweiser said:
who are these baltimore studs you talk about?ray rice qualifies. no one else does.
I think some people would argue Flacco, I wouldnt.
stud, no.starter, yes. he might turn into a stud - i really like him. but to qualify him as a stud at this point is jumping to a conclusion.as an eagles fan, i also wouldn't qualify our defense as stud-worthy yet.

'CalBear said:
'GDogg said:
You have it backwards. I'm starting my stud qb, regardless. And, as I've explained, in my league's scoring, the amount of yards and points my quarterback puts up directly reduces the score of the defense he is facing. Look at cal bears example and my response.
So if the Niners ran back Rodgers' INT for a TD, Rodgers would have scored fewer points?
Nope. And they didn't.

'pghrob said:
'GDogg said:
'Ignoratio Elenchi said:
'GDogg said:
My league scores D/ST like this too.But it matters not if my starting qb in fantasy is going up against my defense in terms of whether or not I should start that defense against my qb.Just because I own that qb and have him in my fantasy line up does not mean he is hurting my fantasy score this week. Imagine if I have Matthew Stafford this week going against the 49ers as my defense in my league. Just because both are in my starting lineup this week does not mean my team's total fantasy score suffers any more as a result of starting Stafford and the 49ers when he is playing them. They are going to score what they are going to score regardless of the makeup of your fantasy team. It appears as though he is hurting your own fantasy team when he throws 2 tds and 300 yards, but he is going to score for everybody who has him and not just you. And the 49ers will have the fantasy score based on how many yards and points they allow. But what you should really be more concerned with is if you have in your lineup, players who at the end of this week's games are the highest possible fantasy scorers in your league regardless if they are playing in real life against each other while also being on your fantasy team.
I need both to score well in order to win. It is very unlikely, though not impossible, for my quarterback who is facing my defense to score well and for my defense to also score well. There are more options for me to find a roughly equivalent defense than to find a roughly equivalent defense. 23 quarterbacks are rostered in my league. 12 defenses are.If Cam Newton tears up the giants as I hope he does, I'd rather have the cowboys against say Mike Vick. Cam and the boys are more likely to both score well than cam and the giants.

Users who are viewing this thread