What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ponder (1 Viewer)

Welshie

Footballguy
He had a so-so Week 1 from a FF perspective and two pretty good weeks in a row here. He has a nice schedule until the bye:

@DET (favorable)

TEN (favorable)

@WAS (favorable)

ARI (unfavorable, but at home -- possibility of a similar performance to this past week's Niners game)

TB (favorable)

@SEA (unfavorable -- probably bench him)

DET (favorable)

BYE

@CHI (unfavorable)

@GB (unfavorable)

CHI (unfavorable)

@STL (average)

@HOU (unfavorable)

He's adding Simpson to the fold this week which will help him stretch the field, and Harvin and Rudolph are more than capable targets. He occasionally makes plays with his legs. AP looks good enough that defenses still need to fear him.

I think he's got a good shot to be a Top 5 QB the next seven weeks, and then fall off a cliff after the BYE. Get him now if you're looking for a QB option, and trade him on the BYE week when his value will likely be its highest.

He had a so-so Week 1 from a FF perspective and two pretty good weeks in a row here. He has a nice schedule until the bye:

@DET (favorable)

TEN (favorable)

@WAS (favorable)

ARI (unfavorable, but at home -- possibility of a similar performance to this past week's Niners game)

TB (favorable)

@SEA (unfavorable -- probably bench him)

DET (favorable)

BYE

@CHI (unfavorable)

@GB (unfavorable)

CHI (unfavorable)

@STL (average)

@HOU (unfavorable)

He's adding Simpson to the fold this week which will help him stretch the field, and Harvin and Rudolph are more than capable targets. He occasionally makes plays with his legs. AP looks good enough that defenses still need to fear him.

I think he's got a good shot to be a Top 5 QB the next seven weeks, and then fall off a cliff after the BYE. Get him now if you're looking for a QB option, and trade him on the BYE week when his value will likely be its highest.
Easy there champ.

Had that game been against anyone but the 49er defense, 2 out of his 3td would have been A.p. They clearly will still run the ball the first 2 downs on the goal line and a.p. Is clearly the best converter there. Maybe the coaching staff will throw more after ponder did so well but I would presume he would choose option a nearly every time making ponder a decent fill in spot starter but not a top 5 guy, just my opinion I could be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Football Jones said:
One of the better young QBs in the game, IMO. He reminds me a lot of Rodgers. He's got the ability to be top-5 QB in a year or two.
More mobile than Rodgers but not as good of a down the field passer.

As a Romo owner, he's my #1 target, simply because of the upcoming schedule. The ceiling is monstrous with him, especially with Simpson in the fold now

Hey Welshie, can you edit the title of this thread to say: "Ponder - trade value"? The time to move him is now.

'pittstownkiller said:
Hey Welshie, can you edit the title of this thread to say: "Ponder - trade value"? The time to move him is now.
Ive tried to move him in a dynasty league for the last couple weeks and haven't even been able to get a 3rd round rookie pick for him. For some reason ppl still don't believe in him. For reference, I used a 4th round rookie pick to draft him.

'therush said:
'Football Jones said:
One of the better young QBs in the game, IMO. He reminds me a lot of Rodgers. He's got the ability to be top-5 QB in a year or two.
More mobile than Rodgers but not as good of a down the field passer.
This is most likely accurate but we havent seen Ponder with downfield weapons yet. Might not know the real answer to this until the Vikings get him a playmaker.

Just did the same thing on my end. Overpaid big in my league to "upgrade" over Cutler. At 1-2 I can't afford to wait around anymore for Cutler and his OL to get their act together. Ponder's schedule is what pushed me over the top here and it is very good starting this week. He has multiple weapons and they should need to score in some of these games like this week vs. Detroit even if Hill is QB. I feel like this is totally a shark move. The only thing I would dispute is dealing him at the bye if you are in a dynasty league. He can be had for peanuts right now and has potential to take off this year and more into next year. He has shown the biggest jump in year 2 of all the QBs from last year and when they go out and get him another WR weapon to stretch the field next year with Harvin and Simpson and an emerging elite TE in Rudolph, plus his ability to threaten and take off and run, he has all the makings to be a very nice find the next two years imo.

He had a so-so Week 1 from a FF perspective and two pretty good weeks in a row here. He has a nice schedule until the bye:mad:DET (favorable)TEN (favorable)@WAS (favorable)ARI (unfavorable, but at home -- possibility of a similar performance to this past week's Niners game)TB (favorable)@SEA (unfavorable -- probably bench him)DET (favorable)BYE@CHI (unfavorable)@GB (unfavorable)CHI (unfavorable)@STL (average)@HOU (unfavorable)He's adding Simpson to the fold this week which will help him stretch the field, and Harvin and Rudolph are more than capable targets. He occasionally makes plays with his legs. AP looks good enough that defenses still need to fear him. I think he's got a good shot to be a Top 5 QB the next seven weeks, and then fall off a cliff after the BYE. Get him now if you're looking for a QB option, and trade him on the BYE week when his value will likely be its highest.
As a Stafford owner (questionable for week 4 and a BYE in week 5), I am very comfortable starting Ponder for these next 2-3 weeks. I am hoping he can get the ball to Simpson so we can see all sorts of front flips, back flips, side flips and hopefully a triple lindy TD.

Jerome Simpson is going to expand the offense. He will work the intermediate and deep routes, Rudolph the middle of the field and Harvin cutting defenses up underneath. I guess Ponder can prosper from that but I am excited to see what Simpson can do and I think it will have some impact on Harvin's numbers.

I don't think he's a good qb. Should be interesting to see this thread in 13 weeks
Just curious, why? Mobile, fairly accurate and making good decisions. Doesn't have a cannon but for a guy who has played less than a full season I'm pretty impressed.
He is average to me. QB15 to QB20. I'm not sold on him. Rewind 3 weeks and what was being said about him? I have seen him play in college a few times and last year and did not come away impressed.

I don't think he's a good qb. Should be interesting to see this thread in 13 weeks
Just curious, why? Mobile, fairly accurate and making good decisions. Doesn't have a cannon but for a guy who has played less than a full season I'm pretty impressed.
He is average to me. QB15 to QB20. I'm not sold on him. Rewind 3 weeks and what was being said about him? I have seen him play in college a few times and last year and did not come away impressed.
Who cares? Let's make a judgement on what we see now.

Who cares? Let's make a judgement on what we see now.
The OP is asking for a projection. I don't project on 3 weeks.

I'm penciling him in to finish the season at QB14 or better.
So barley a stater for fantasy purposes?
In other words, much better than his QB27 finish last year, and much better than expected for this year. I'm expecting him to finish higher than the backup QB I drafted (Rivers). So I picked him up and put him under glass, in case of emergency.
He is average to me. QB15 to QB20. I'm not sold on him.
Still higher than he was drafted in most leagues, if he was drafted at all.

Lol at the way scientist is analyzing this. Projections based on college and preseason info without taking into account recent play. I'm sure you still think Foster is a bum because no team drafted him.

I'm penciling him in to finish the season at QB14 or better.
So barley a stater for fantasy purposes?
Look at the schedule and the premise of the thread. Lets assume he does in fact finish as QB14. How does he wind up there? By far the most likely scenario seems to be that he stays hot through the middle of the season, flirting with low end QB1 status and then slows down signifigantly after the bye against good defenses, on the road and outdoors. The same argument holds to a lesser degree with your 15-20 perdiction.

I agree on Ponder. Thought he would have had more attention after the SF win. All attention is on replacement refs. I really never believed in him until what he has shown the past few weeks. He can be had on the cheap for 1 more week. After the Detroit game, which should be high scoring, everyone will be on him.

He has a plenty of weapons with Simpson coming back, Rudolph, Percy, and AP.

Many owners waited to take a QB and have a committee of the following:

RG3-Owners who drafted him hit, congrats.

Big Ben-He is solid this year, congrats.

Manning-I think he is a macthup play. I wouldn't want to rely on him every week.

Luck-QB2, matchup play.

Guys I would want Ponder over:

Cutler-I think he is an upgrade with the way the Bears 0-line looks.

Freeman-I think Tampa wants to play ball control, solid defense and running game. FBG may have hit with RG3, but I think Freeman is on the wrong NFL team to produce solid fantasy stats.

Fitzpatrick-matchup play. Good this week vs NE!

Carson-Raiders, enough said.

Cassel-Never have been sold on him. Matchup play.

Russell Wilson-ball control offense, see Freeman

Locker is the only one I am not sure about because I like Locker's potential. I think he is a year away though. I am leaning Ponder over Locker because better offense, offensive line, and schedule.

I agree on Ponder. Thought he would have had more attention after the SF win. All attention is on replacement refs. I really never believed in him until what he has shown the past few weeks. He can be had on the cheap for 1 more week. After the Detroit game, which should be high scoring, everyone will be on him. He has a plenty of weapons with Simpson coming back, Rudolph, Percy, and AP. Many owners waited to take a QB and have a committee of the following:RG3-Owners who drafted him hit, congrats.Big Ben-He is solid this year, congrats. Manning-I think he is a macthup play. I wouldn't want to rely on him every week.Luck-QB2, matchup play. Guys I would want Ponder over:Cutler-I think he is an upgrade with the way the Bears 0-line looks. Freeman-I think Tampa wants to play ball control, solid defense and running game. FBG may have hit with RG3, but I think Freeman is on the wrong NFL team to produce solid fantasy stats.Fitzpatrick-matchup play. Good this week vs NE!Carson-Raiders, enough said. Cassel-Never have been sold on him. Matchup play.Russell Wilson-ball control offense, see FreemanLocker is the only one I am not sure about because I like Locker's potential. I think he is a year away though. I am leaning Ponder over Locker because better offense, offensive line, and schedule.
I like Ponder and Locker the same. Both have questionable defenses and big play potential receivers. Perfect environment to air it out all day. Both have huge upside imo over the other game manager qbs with solid defenses around their rankings

You have to like the way he's playing (+ Simpson's return) and the way this game is setting up!!! I have him in in place of Vick for now....

I've got Rivers and I've been trying to get an up and coming guy like Ponder or Dalton, since those guys have good schedules coming up and Rivers has done nothing with the good schedule he's started the season with. The Dalton guy won't give him up and the guy with Ponder threw out Ponder + 2nd for my Bradshaw.

I'm leaning towards doing it; am I crazy? I have Charles and Murray at RB already so I won't be short starting guys. I do think Ponder has the capability to end up top 5 like the OP said.

I've got Rivers and I've been trying to get an up and coming guy like Ponder or Dalton, since those guys have good schedules coming up and Rivers has done nothing with the good schedule he's started the season with. The Dalton guy won't give him up and the guy with Ponder threw out Ponder + 2nd for my Bradshaw.I'm leaning towards doing it; am I crazy? I have Charles and Murray at RB already so I won't be short starting guys. I do think Ponder has the capability to end up top 5 like the OP said.
This is post for the Assistant Coach forum, but I will say that I consider Ponder a high QB2 right now and Bradshaw can't stay healthy and his team drafted a RB in the 1st round.

I think he has a chance to be top 10 starting next year and beyond, I am sorry but the addition of Simpson doesn't do a lot for me since it really didn't help Dalton too much. I tried to get him in my dynasty league and got no response, I also tried to get Locker (another young quarterback) and was told it would take Quizz Rodgers and a 1st round pick or Kyle Rudolph. So I think his value is going to depend on who owns him. I will say either trade from him before the Lions game or if he does struggle some after those rough games.

I don't think he's a good qb.
Ponder >> WilsonHTH
Bro, you have to come up with something better than that if you are going to come close to trolling me.
I'll come with something better: in the trich thread you said "pro tip - avoid rookie RBS". How's that working out for ya? Trich is awesome. My bet is he ends the year top 5-7 rb as a rookie. Back to ponder, I see him exactly as opposite from you. In fact I just bought him low in my dynasty league. He looks real good. Very poised. Good decision making. Has weapons. Only 2nd year. It took guys like Matt Ryan and flacco how many years to enter a tier that counted as a legit fantasy starter? 4? 5?

I don't think he's a good qb.
Ponder >> WilsonHTH
Bro, you have to come up with something better than that if you are going to come close to trolling me.
I'll come with something better: in the trich thread you said "pro tip - avoid rookie RBS". How's that working out for ya? Trich is awesome. My bet is he ends the year top 5-7 rb as a rookie. Back to ponder, I see him exactly as opposite from you. In fact I just bought him low in my dynasty league. He looks real good. Very poised. Good decision making. Has weapons. Only 2nd year. It took guys like Matt Ryan and flacco how many years to enter a tier that counted as a legit fantasy starter? 4? 5?
He has great weapons to work with along with a developing stud at TE.

I've probably watched every game-action snap (preseason and regular season) of Ponder's career in the NFL so far...and I do have to say that I am cautiously VERY optimistic that he's got a nice future in the game. Might be the homer in me talking, but him having a complete off-season to learn the game and work with coaches/trainers appears to have made a huge difference. He's had one HORRIFIC decision in each of his last two games (at least one pass where he was lucky not to have it turn into an easy pick-6, and another easy interception that was dropped). But other than that, he's looked solid. Very solid.

As to his fantasy prospects? I'd still like to see him get a third good WR to pair with Harvin and Simpson. But Rudolph looks like the real-deal...and ADP is getting dink and dunk looks out of the backfield too. I'm not drinking the top-5 Kool-aid at all! But top 15 is very, very probable. IMHO. A top QB2 in 12-team leagues, and a low-end QB1 in 16-teamers. As his floor, barring injuries to himself or major injuries to his WRs or O-Line.

As a Romo owner, he's my #1 target, simply because of the upcoming schedule. The ceiling is monstrous with him, especially with Simpson in the fold now
LOL No. Where are all of you getting this upside on Ponder from? He never has been or will be a high upside QB. At best he's a moderate talent. At worst he fails. His arm is not very good. Sure he can run and he's got a decent head on his shoulders. But his upside is far from "monstrous". Sure he'll have good weeks. He's the QB for a really good offense with a lot of weapons. No one is saying he's a terrible QB. Which you would have to be to not put up stats in that offense. Ponders upside is probably like...David Gerard.

Users who are viewing this thread