What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody buying on Demarco Murray? (1 Viewer)

I don't want to be greedy -- I'll take 200+ YFS and a TD any day -- but man, did Murray leave a bunch of points on the field tonight:

* Beasley TD where he was clearly down at the 1-foot line. Who do you think would have gotten the ensuing carry?

* Randle TD on the one play where DeMarco took a breather

* His loss of 14 after his first big run. He got 5 of them back on 3rd down, but that basically took them out of a goal-to-go situation where he could have easily punched one in.

* My league has fractional scoring, so this didn't affect me, but he finished with 179 on the ground and 49 in the air, and he was at 181 until losing two on his meaningless final carry.

What a performance by DeMarco tonight. I don't care how many yards he had . . . 41 touches is remarkable.

Remind to pass on him in my drafts next year, though: on a pace for 460 touches in the regular season.

this guy might be the first guy coming off a fantasy MVP season that you can get at a discount the next year. I totally understand why so many people are saying they are going to pass on him, but at some point there will be value

Man people complaining about pts left on the field. He was a beast tonight and may single handily win me my playoff game. Thank you sir. And I hate the Cowboys

Last edited by a moderator:
I got an offer for him in a PPR dynasty - I give Murray, I get Torrey Smith (with some other pieces thrown in). I desperately need WR help in this league, but I declined b/c I can't help but feel I can get more for him....
hope you kept him.

this guy might be the first guy coming off a fantasy MVP season that you can get at a discount the next year. I totally understand why so many people are saying they are going to pass on him, but at some point there will be value
I think he'll put up Top 5 numbers again next year, and in redraft he should be treated as such.

The heavy workload may be decreasing his dynasty value a bit, but I think the edge of the cliff is still 2 or 3 years away.

I think he'll put up Top 5 numbers again next year, and in redraft he should be treated as such.

The heavy workload may be decreasing his dynasty value a bit, but I think the edge of the cliff is still 2 or 3 years away.
Small sample size and all, but it's worth keeping in mind that the top two names on the list of most carries in a season fell off the cliff the next year (though Anderson did have a comeback season the year after that).

Not saying it will definitely happen, just that when the end comes, it can come quickly.

Small sample size and all, but it's worth keeping in mind that the top two names on the list of most carries in a season fell off the cliff the next year (though Anderson did have a comeback season the year after that).

Not saying it will definitely happen, just that when the end comes, it can come quickly.
True, but there are so many other variables too, outside of just physical wear and tear. Larry Johnson's 2007 season seemed doomed even before it started, with his holdout and KC seemingly wanting to get rid of him (trade talks and publicly stating they would draft an RB early).

Murray is a Free Agent next year, but the Cowboys seem willing to pay him.

True, but there are so many other variables too, outside of just physical wear and tear. Larry Johnson's 2007 season seemed doomed even before it started, with his holdout and KC seemingly wanting to get rid of him (trade talks and publicly stating they would draft an RB early).

My understanding is their financial situation would likely not allow them to resign both Dez and Murray, and they would likely prefer Dez since RBs today are more fungible. Am I missing something?

My understanding is their financial situation would likely not allow them to resign both Dez and Murray, and they would likely prefer Dez since RBs today are more fungible. Am I missing something?
That's true upon first glance. And I agree with what you are saying. But there is always a way when both sides want to reach an agreement. *I have no idea if both sides want that, however.

That's true upon first glance. And I agree with what you are saying. But there is always a way when both sides want to reach an agreement. *I have no idea if both sides want that, however.
You DO realize that was the exact mindset that got the Cowboys into their most recent cap hole and forced them to cut DeMarcus Ware earlier this year, right?

So, hypothetically, if Murray is on a new team next year, what are the likely landing places? Could the Cardinals afford him?

as a Murray owner on many dynasty teams... not sure how many are going to pay full retail unless they are in a win now mode.

I think he stays in Dallas

"We don't what happens to him because we aren't re-signing him."
Three words.... Aye Dee Pee
Yea, but even if they don't bring him back it still blows my mind that you would overwork a player so much when you need him in January. The Bears game is a perfect example - after halftime the game was over. There was no need for Murray to get another dozen touches at that point. Randle is a perfectly good RB and the line was opening huge holes - why let Murray get hit more unnecessarily? You would never see Belichek/McCarthy or other winning coaches do that. I don't call coaches out often because they are masters at their craft but that's one case of blatantly bad decision making and bad coaching.

Phenomena said:
"We don't what happens to him because we aren't re-signing him."
Three words.... Aye Dee Pee
Yea, but even if they don't bring him back it still blows my mind that you would overwork a player so much when you need him in January. The Bears game is a perfect example - after halftime the game was over. There was no need for Murray to get another dozen touches at that point. Randle is a perfectly good RB and the line was opening huge holes - why let Murray get hit more unnecessarily? You would never see Belichek/McCarthy or other winning coaches do that. I don't call coaches out often because they are masters at their craft but that's one case of blatantly bad decision making and bad coaching.
Ummm, hello.

I was going for high week and your words are blasphemy.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/12/15/demarco-murray-to-have-surgery-on-broken-bone-in-hand/

Dallas Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray broke a bone in his hand and will have surgery on Monday, according to [SIZE=inherit]COO[/SIZE]Stephen Jones.

He has not been ruled out for Sunday’s game against Indianapolis.

“Obviously, DeMarco Murray has a broken bone in his hand. At the same time, he hasn’t been ruled out,” said Jones with the G-Bag Nation on 105.3 The Fan. “It’s not something that if it responds well after surgery today, that he can’t come back and play this weekend. It’s probably a [SIZE=inherit]tough[/SIZE] expectation to think that he can, but we’ll see.”

This is why we all own Randle.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Dunbar get the first snaps off the bench last night when Murray needed a rest?
He did, but maybe because they think he's the better receiver?

Dallas was in obvious passing formation a lot, sometimes with an empty backfield.
This was my thought as well, it seemed to me like Dunbar was mainly in during passing situations. He has been playing some passing downs all year. From the little bit we have seen of them it seems like they view Randle as a better fit for the lead role, although I'd assume Dunbar plays more than he was previously.

Rotoworld take:

DeMarco Murray - RB - Cowboys

DeMarco Murray is undergoing Monday surgery to repair a broken band in his left hand, but has yet to be ruled out for Week 16.

Murray is specifically dealing with a broken fourth metacarpal. Per reporter Todd Archer, Emmitt Smith suffered a similar injury in his playing days, and missed only one game. It's clearly not a long-term concern, but the Cowboys will be in a world of trouble if they lose to the Colts on Sunday. For now, owners should consider Murray truly day to day. If Murray can't go, Joseph Randle and Lance Dunbar will form a committee in his absence, with Randle likely handling early downs and Dunbar getting passing work. Even if Murray suits up for Week 16, it's possible he'll be limited. Brittle through the first three years of his NFL career, Murray's first injury of 2014 couldn't be worse timed, though the Cowboys have been tempting fate with his massive workloads.

Related: Lance Dunbar, Joseph Randle

Source: ESPN Dallas

Dec 15 - 2:38 PM

I'm a Randle owner who could be going up against the Murray owner in our league championship.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/12/15/demarco-murray-to-have-surgery-on-broken-bone-in-hand/

Dallas Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray broke a bone in his hand and will have surgery on Monday, according to COOStephen Jones.

He has not been ruled out for Sunday’s game against Indianapolis.

“Obviously, DeMarco Murray has a broken bone in his hand. At the same time, he hasn’t been ruled out,” said Jones with the G-Bag Nation on 105.3 The Fan. “It’s not something that if it responds well after surgery today, that he can’t come back and play this weekend. It’s probably a tough expectation to think that he can, but we’ll see.”
Doesn't sound like he's playing... sounds like damage control.

Well what a tough break for Murray owners for this to happen now. But, I don't think anyone is totally surprised he got injured after the workload he's had this season.

Users who are viewing this thread