What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody buying on Demarco Murray? (4 Viewers)

'need2know said:
'SameSongNDance said:
They are saying sprained foot, I was hoping it was an ankle sprain instead. Hopefully it's not too serious.
would felix b the pickup? wonder if its the dreaded lis franc....
Felix did well today and I'd have to assume it's him over that Tanner guy.Do we always have to say "dreaded" before lis franc?

'need2know said:
'SameSongNDance said:
They are saying sprained foot, I was hoping it was an ankle sprain instead. Hopefully it's not too serious.
Felix did well today and I'd have to assume it's him over that Tanner guy.Do we always have to say "dreaded" before lis franc?
yes its required
If you're really cool you call it the "DLF".

'need2know said:
'SameSongNDance said:
yes its required
I remind my wife all the time that I'm a DILF.

I've said it a million times "If you own one Cowboys RB, you need to own both."

This was such a bittersweet game yesterday because he looked great yesterday but, of course, goes out, as is the knock on him. And then, Felix comes in and looks just as good. So, I'm sitting here thinking about how people always talk about how Murray being a clearly superior player than Felix and a "top 5 RB" and all that, and I can't say that I saw a clear separation of talent there.

Really,t he two things that were reinforced in my head yesterday are : A) Murray unfortunately lived up to his one big criticism and B)the Ravens are really in trouble on the defensive side of the ball right now.

I've said it a million times "If you own one Cowboys RB, you need to own both."This was such a bittersweet game yesterday because he looked great yesterday but, of course, goes out, as is the knock on him. And then, Felix comes in and looks just as good. So, I'm sitting here thinking about how people always talk about how Murray being a clearly superior player than Felix and a "top 5 RB" and all that, and I can't say that I saw a clear separation of talent there.Really,t he two things that were reinforced in my head yesterday are : A) Murray unfortunately lived up to his one big criticism and B)the Ravens are really in trouble on the defensive side of the ball right now.
ravens get to go play a mad Texans team this week too. they are going to get blown out imo

I'm going to make a big push for Felix Jones this week. The one good thing this does is gives us some clarity on the handcuff to Murray. I was thinking Tanner would get a shot but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I'm going to make a big push for Felix Jones this week. The one good thing this does is gives us some clarity on the handcuff to Murray. I was thinking Tanner would get a shot but that doesn't appear to be the case.
felix is going to have a really great game vs CAR. everyone does. after that who knows

Tanner did get 9 carries. Im wondering what the split between Felix and him was like once Murray was out, because Im almost positive Felix had at least 5 carries before Murray left the game.Plus this was a game DAL was trailing in the entire 2nd half, so I think Tanner getting 9 carries - I believe all in the 2nd half - is meaningful.

Tanner did get 9 carries. Im wondering what the split between Felix and him was like once Murray was out, because Im almost positive Felix had at least 5 carries before Murray left the game.Plus this was a game DAL was trailing in the entire 2nd half, so I think Tanner getting 9 carries - I believe all in the 2nd half - is meaningful.
Felix was spelling Murray in the first quarter, with a 2/3 split in favor of Murray.Once Murray went out, Felix seemed like he was going to be an every down back until he had to head to the locker room to get an IV for cramps. That's when Tanner got his carries. If Murray is out it seems Felix will get more work than Tanner.

This was such a bittersweet game yesterday because he looked great yesterday but, of course, goes out, as is the knock on him. And then, Felix comes in and looks just as good. So, I'm sitting here thinking about how people always talk about how Murray being a clearly superior player than Felix and a "top 5 RB" and all that, and I can't say that I saw a clear separation of talent there.
I did. It is clear that Felix can hit homeruns, but he doesn't get the tough yards that Murray does. Balt's run D was so bad that it didn't matter much, but there was a difference to be noticed. Aikman pointed it out, as well. There are things that Felix can do even better than Murray; but Murry is clearly, in my opinion, the better NFL runningback.

Felix was spelling Murray in the first quarter, with a 2/3 split in favor of Murray.Once Murray went out, Felix seemed like he was going to be an every down back until he had to head to the locker room to get an IV for cramps. That's when Tanner got his carries. If Murray is out it seems Felix will get more work than Tanner.
:goodposting: The carries to Tanner were only to spell Felix while he was dealing with cramps. Felix is very clearly the guy to own. That said, it wouldn't surprise me to see Philips get some tough yard carries.

I did. It is clear that Felix can hit homeruns, but he doesn't get the tough yards that Murray does. Balt's run D was so bad that it didn't matter much, but there was a difference to be noticed. Aikman pointed it out, as well. There are things that Felix can do even better than Murray; but Murry is clearly, in my opinion, the better NFL runningback.
Another good set of points. So, taking that a step further: What kind of team does Dallas want to be and Can they be that team, because that may dictate FF value for these guys. I think, JMO, the Cowboys LOVE the idea of running hard in between the tackles like Murray will do. But they appear to be more fluid with Felix when Felix is playing like he did yesterday.

Felix is most definitely the backup to Murray. Felix looked a lot better yesterday than he did either in preseason or even last year. He had much more burst and acceleration than we've seen in awhile. Still not quite what it was his rookie and 2nd year, but noticably better than the last 20 games.

Murray gets an MRI today. So with luck, we'll all have some idea of how long he'll be out.

Just a little more input on the split before Murray went out, but I'm pretty sure Felix got several carries (and a TD) while Murray had some type of equipment issue. However even if Murray isn't out for long I'm worried Felix played good enough to earn more of a share. Reminds me a little of what happened in the Buffalo backfield. Really a worse case scenario.

The one positive is that Dallas looked more physical and committed to the run.

Just a little more input on the split before Murray went out, but I'm pretty sure Felix got several carries (and a TD) while Murray had some type of equipment issue. However even if Murray isn't out for long I'm worried Felix played good enough to earn more of a share. Reminds me a little of what happened in the Buffalo backfield. Really a worse case scenario.The one positive is that Dallas looked more physical and committed to the run.
Felix looked good, but Dallas knows what they have in their guys. Murray is a bell-cow back and Felix is a change of pace guy. The split won't change much, if at all. Certainly not a 50/50 split like Buffalo. Perhaps 70/30, which is fine for Murray owners, as he will certainly get the goal line looks.

'need2know said:
'SameSongNDance said:
yes its required
I remind my wife all the time that I'm a DILF.
You, sir, are my hero. For today, at any rate.

For those starved for information, like me, Murray is walking around without a limp this morning and says he could have gone back in.

Cowboys optomistic
That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It's not like it was a blowout, and if Jones was out of the game for a while, why didn't he go back in at that point?
Didn't he come back in for a few carries after the injury? I could have sworn I saw in the huddle in the 2nd half, but wasn't watching very closely.

For those starved for information, like me, Murray is walking around without a limp this morning and says he could have gone back in.

Cowboys optomistic
That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It's not like it was a blowout, and if Jones was out of the game for a while, why didn't he go back in at that point?
I thought he tried to come back in and was not able to. Either way, what do you expect him to say? at this point I would be surprised if he doesn't miss some time.

Cowboys optomistic
I thought he tried to come back in and was not able to. Either way, what do you expect him to say? at this point I would be surprised if he doesn't miss some time.
Oh I agree. Like when Ced Benson says he didn't think he hurt his foot that badly, or Ryan Williams said that his shoulder stung a bit. Pretty much the player is the worse source for news.But at least he's not walking in a boot.

He came in for one play (3 yard carry) and left the game. For the rest of the game (or at least a large portion), he stood on the sidelines with his helmet on. He definitely seemed to want to go back in the game, but my guess is that the doctors said there was a risk of making it worse if he went back out there.

I'm hoping it's minor and he's able to play this week, because I really don't want to roll out Marshawn Lynch against the 49ers.

I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a little more input on the split before Murray went out, but I'm pretty sure Felix got several carries (and a TD) while Murray had some type of equipment issue. However even if Murray isn't out for long I'm worried Felix played good enough to earn more of a share. Reminds me a little of what happened in the Buffalo backfield. Really a worse case scenario.The one positive is that Dallas looked more physical and committed to the run.
Felix looked good, but Dallas knows what they have in their guys. Murray is a bell-cow back and Felix is a change of pace guy. The split won't change much, if at all. Certainly not a 50/50 split like Buffalo. Perhaps 70/30, which is fine for Murray owners, as he will certainly get the goal line looks.
Yes I agree with you on all of this. I don't think Felix is nearly as good as Spiller and Murray is better than FJax at this point. I hope it's 70-30 that would be fine. I do worry about the "hot hand" usage though.

I do remember McFadden standing on the sidelines during his game last year he had the Lisfranc injury. hopefully it's nothing serious because Murray looked to be on his way to a monster 150+ yard game with a TD and was ready to establish himself in the top 10

I do remember McFadden standing on the sidelines during his game last year he had the Lisfranc injury. hopefully it's nothing serious because Murray looked to be on his way to a monster 150+ yard game with a TD and was ready to establish himself in the top 10
I thought about this too. McFadden looked just fine right after the injury

This article is very vague, but it claims that the Cowboys "fear ligament damage" without anything to back that up. It doesn't sound like there is anything there beyond the x-ray yesterday. It does state that it's "not a lis franc"....but given the lack of references and overall vague nature of the article, I don't know if I trust that.

I do fear that it's something bad, because usually MRI results are in earlier than this.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4699460/cowboys-fear-ligament-damage-for-demarco-murray

IRVING, Texas - The Cowboys fear running back DeMarco Murray suffered ligament damage in his foot but not a season-ending Lisfranc injury, according to sources.

The X-rays taken at Baltimore from Sunday's 31-29 loss to the Ravens were negative, but Murray is undergoing an MRI Monday morning and the results are not yet known.

Murray, who had his rookie season cut short last year because of a fractured ankle against the New York Giants, sprained his foot in the first half Sunday in which he picked up 90 yards. He had one third-quarter carry for 3 yards but was kept out of the rest of the game.

After the game, Murray said he wanted to return, and he was not in a walking boot.

If Murray misses an extended amount of time, the Cowboys would turn to Felix Jones. He picked up 92 yards on 18 carries against Baltimore but missed time in the second half to get intravenous fluids because he was cramping.

Without Murray and Jones, Phillip Tanner and Lance Dunbar took over the running back duties and combined for 42 yards on 10 carries.

It is possible the Cowboys could look for more veteran running back help if Murray is out. Last year they signed Sammy Morris with four games to play after Murray hurt his ankle and Tanner was on injured reserve because of a hamstring injury.

This could be Jones' last best chance to show he can be an every-down running back as he hits free agency after this season.

He failed the conditioning test to open training camp and had a woeful preseason that carried over into the regular season. Prior to Sunday's game he had 13 yards on three carries in the first four games.

'need2know said:
'SameSongNDance said:
yes..it actually should be said while this is playing in the background...
then,and only then,will you truly understand the 'dreaded' Lisfranc....

This is really bad reporting.

The only news is an ESPN Dallas report that says the Cowboys "fear ligament damage" without anything to back it up, since the MRI results are not out yet. Then, other reporters are saying that Dallas thinks it's ligament damage, and that's it's likely.

None of these reports are based on fact yet (they are all based on the same original article), and even if they are correct, it would just be a lucky guess. Our current era of immediate information is great at time, but the quality of reporting is terrible.

This is really bad reporting.The only news is an ESPN Dallas report that says the Cowboys "fear ligament damage" without anything to back it up, since the MRI results are not out yet. Then, other reporters are saying that Dallas thinks it's ligament damage, and that's it's likely.None of these reports are based on fact yet (they are all based on the same original article), and even if they are correct, it would just be a lucky guess. Our current era of immediate information is great at time, but the quality of reporting is terrible.
How is this bad reporting? They are telling you what they are hearing in the sidelines or in the locker room. They are not reporting the MRI results. It's an update leading up to the MRI result. At least it's something. Mind you, this report was made by Todd Archer. He is one of the most reliable Dallas Cowboys reporter out there. And if it's posted on the ESPN Cowboys Blog then it's pretty legit. And when the MRI results are revealed then guess what? Todd Archer will be the one who will report it.http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys

This is really bad reporting.The only news is an ESPN Dallas report that says the Cowboys "fear ligament damage" without anything to back it up, since the MRI results are not out yet. Then, other reporters are saying that Dallas thinks it's ligament damage, and that's it's likely.None of these reports are based on fact yet (they are all based on the same original article), and even if they are correct, it would just be a lucky guess. Our current era of immediate information is great at time, but the quality of reporting is terrible.
How is this bad reporting? They are telling you what they are hearing in the sidelines or in the locker room. They are not reporting the MRI results. It's an update leading up to the MRI result. At least it's something. Mind you, this report was made by Todd Archer. He is one of the most reliable Dallas Cowboys reporter out there. And if it's posted on the ESPN Cowboys Blog then it's pretty legit. And when the MRI results are revealed then guess what? Todd Archer will be the one who will report it.http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys
Sorry, I didn't mean that his report was bad... I meant that the link from Rotoworld saying that it WAS ligament damage (and now from places all over the internet) are bad. There are a ton of reports tweets, etc. using this as their base material, when it is nothing more than a report of a fear the Cowboys have. A number of places are reporting it as fact, when at this point it is just a "fear" of the team. Here's a tweet from Adam Schefter where he used the ESPN Dallas report as the source...
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefterESPN Dallas reports Cowboys RB DeMarco Murray suffered ligament damage in his foot but not a season-ending Lisfranc injury.
That's NOT what ESPN Dallas said. They said that it was a fear of the team.For the record though, a sprain IS ligament damage, so the initial report was nothing more than saying that the Cowboys have a fear or him having what we already knew he had.

Some relatively good news. The MRI revealed nothing more than the initial sprain from the x-ray.http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-NickEatman/Murray%E2%80%99s-MRI-Results-Show-Sprain-Could-Be-Out-This-Week-/296f1c8b-5f9f-46ad-b5c5-a38e0181df4e

IRVING, Texas – The Cowboys received some positive news regarding running back DeMarco Murray on Monday, learning the injury is nothing more than the initial diagnosis of a foot sprain.The MRI results showed no broken bones, but some ligament damage that could be enough to sideline Murray for this week’s game in Carolina, and possibly longer.While Murray’s status will likely be questionable against the Panthers, the Cowboys should have more confidence with backup Felix Jones, who clearly had his best showing of the season with 92 yards on 18 carries, including a 22-yard touchdown run, his first scoring play since the 2011 season opener.But the injury to Murray is still frustrating, considering he was on his way to a monster game as well. Murray had 90 yards in the first half before suffering the injury. He got only one carry in the second half before the Cowboys took him out.After the game, Murray sounded disappointed that he wasn’t allowed to go back in, especially with Jones went to the locker room in the third quarter with cramps. Murray said “I wanted to, but I have to do what’s best for the whole team. It’s a long season.”The Cowboys were fortunate to dress four tailbacks on Sunday. Backups Phillips Tanner and Lance Dunbar both played in the second half and will likely be ready to play this week as well.

Some relatively good news. Some damage, but the MRI revealed nothing more than the initial sprain from the x-ray.http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-NickEatman/Murray%E2%80%99s-MRI-Results-Show-Sprain-Could-Be-Out-This-Week-/296f1c8b-5f9f-46ad-b5c5-a38e0181df4e

IRVING, Texas – The Cowboys received some positive news regarding running back DeMarco Murray on Monday, learning the injury is nothing more than the initial diagnosis of a foot sprain.The MRI results showed no broken bones, but some ligament damage that could be enough to sideline Murray for this week’s game in Carolina, and possibly longer.While Murray’s status will likely be questionable against the Panthers, the Cowboys should have more confidence with backup Felix Jones, who clearly had his best showing of the season with 92 yards on 18 carries, including a 22-yard touchdown run, his first scoring play since the 2011 season opener.But the injury to Murray is still frustrating, considering he was on his way to a monster game as well. Murray had 90 yards in the first half before suffering the injury. He got only one carry in the second half before the Cowboys took him out.After the game, Murray sounded disappointed that he wasn’t allowed to go back in, especially with Jones went to the locker room in the third quarter with cramps. Murray said “I wanted to, but I have to do what’s best for the whole team. It’s a long season.”The Cowboys were fortunate to dress four tailbacks on Sunday. Backups Phillips Tanner and Lance Dunbar both played in the second half and will likely be ready to play this week as well.
Quick question: medically speaking, isn't a sprain "ligament damage"?

Yes ligament damage = sprain. So the early reports added nothing to the original sideline report that said that cowboys thought it was a sprain.

Cowboys think his foot is sprained = cowboys fear ligament damage.

Edited to correct sp.

Also a beat reporter saying Murray out vs panthers

Clarence Hill (@clarencehilljr) tweeted at 0:09 PM on Mon, Oct 15, 2012:

According to a source, demarco Murray will not play against panthers. Still waiting MRI results on sprained foot. But a no go sunday

'solorca said:
Anyone with any medical knowledge know how long an injury of this type usually takes to recover?
Think someone will need more info. I mean, is it outside or inside damage (or both)? Is it a stretch or a tear? Partial or complete?I am by no means a source on this stuff but it seems like my first guess is its mild because usually with the High ankle sprains and stuff, they never wear regular shoes from the stadium because of the swelling and bruising, etc. I saw a report saying Murray was in his street shoes. FWIW.

http://bramelsecondopinion.com/

DeMarco Murray will have an MRI to evaluate his left foot sprain today. Television replays didn’t reveal anything specific about the injury. In fact, my eyes were drawn to his right foot, which seemed to get jammed up against the heel of a blocker, on the play in which Murray originally left the field. That shows the difficulty in using the TV screen as a diagnostic aid. There didn’t appear to be anything obvious on the screen with his left foot, nor was there a clear aggravation of the injury on the third quarter play.

There are some reassuring facts as we wait for the MRI result. Though it was odd that he was pulled out immediately after the third quarter run and never returned, it would be unusual for Murray to get himself into the huddle without the knowledge of the training staff, especially on the first play after a commercial timeout. Had there been a high concern for a serious foot sprain, it’s unlikely he’d have returned to the field in pads after halftime. And there were reports that Murray left the locker room without any immobilization. So, it’s fair to wonder how concerned we should really be with this injury. It’s not a foregone conclusion that the Cowboys are trying to rule out a Lisfranc injury, especially since they chose not to immobilize him after the game.

Of course, that’s all observer speculation. We’ll know more after the MRI.

Career numbers:

Murray 18 of 22 possible games played (82%)

Felix 54 of 70 possible games played (77%) (48/54 over the last four years).

Murray 239 carries for 1227 yards (5.1 per)

Felix 479 carries for 2431 yards (5.1 per)

Murray 43 catches for 301 yards (7.0 per)

Felix 109 catches for 881 yards (8.1 per)

Narratives are popular because they're simple. But I think the one about Murray being a better back is wrong.

http://bramelsecondopinion.com/

DeMarco Murray will have an MRI to evaluate his left foot sprain today. Television replays didn’t reveal anything specific about the injury. In fact, my eyes were drawn to his right foot, which seemed to get jammed up against the heel of a blocker, on the play in which Murray originally left the field. That shows the difficulty in using the TV screen as a diagnostic aid. There didn’t appear to be anything obvious on the screen with his left foot, nor was there a clear aggravation of the injury on the third quarter play.There are some reassuring facts as we wait for the MRI result. Though it was odd that he was pulled out immediately after the third quarter run and never returned, it would be unusual for Murray to get himself into the huddle without the knowledge of the training staff, especially on the first play after a commercial timeout. Had there been a high concern for a serious foot sprain, it’s unlikely he’d have returned to the field in pads after halftime. And there were reports that Murray left the locker room without any immobilization. So, it’s fair to wonder how concerned we should really be with this injury. It’s not a foregone conclusion that the Cowboys are trying to rule out a Lisfranc injury, especially since they chose not to immobilize him after the game.Of course, that’s all observer speculation. We’ll know more after the MRI.
I believe that report is a little behind now, since we already know the MRI results. Hopefully Bramel will have some thoughts soon.According to Ed Werder, he is in a boot and using crutches, but will not need surgery. Hopefully this will just be a couple weeks.

Question for the homers. Is Phillip Tanner worth a pickup?

I'm dropping Jacquizz Rodgers this week and am considering using the spot for Tanner (Felix will be grabbed before I can).

Question for the homers. Is Phillip Tanner worth a pickup? I'm dropping Jacquizz Rodgers this week and am considering using the spot for Tanner (Felix will be grabbed before I can).
I like what Tanner offers, and he is a nice contrast to Felix, who always has his own health/condition issues.

Career numbers:Murray 18 of 22 possible games played (82%)Felix 54 of 70 possible games played (77%) (48/54 over the last four years).Murray 239 carries for 1227 yards (5.1 per)Felix 479 carries for 2431 yards (5.1 per)Murray 43 catches for 301 yards (7.0 per)Felix 109 catches for 881 yards (8.1 per)Narratives are popular because they're simple. But I think the one about Murray being a better back is wrong.
Also, don't forget that one of those games for Murray with the 253 yards or whatever he had

Career numbers:Murray 18 of 22 possible games played (82%)Felix 54 of 70 possible games played (77%) (48/54 over the last four years).Murray 239 carries for 1227 yards (5.1 per)Felix 479 carries for 2431 yards (5.1 per)Murray 43 catches for 301 yards (7.0 per)Felix 109 catches for 881 yards (8.1 per)Narratives are popular because they're simple. But I think the one about Murray being a better back is wrong.
You use YPC and claim those suggesting Murray is better are doing so because it's "easy"? A bit ironic.Why stop at Demarco Murray? Why not compare him to Arian Foster and Adrian Peterson - his YPC is higher than theirs too. Assuming you are going to claim "because they don't play of the Cowboys", I'll pre-empitvely respond: And like AP and Foster, Murray's situation is different than Felix's. The Cowboys use Murray in a way that they couldn't use Felix. Felix can hit the homerun, and that will make his average look fine, but he can't be the center piece of an offense. He can't grind out the tough yards; Murray can, and is a much better NFL running back because of it. And how many of those games played did Felix have to take long stretches off, due to fatigue?

Also, don't forget that one of those games for Murray with the 253 yards or whatever he had
Why would that matter, per touch? He has as many 100 yard games as Felix, in a much shorter span.

Why would that matter, per touch? He has as many 100 yard games as Felix, in a much shorter span.
Yes

Users who are viewing this thread