What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kenny Britt (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that "four our five" teams are interested in free agent Kenny Britt.
The Redskins are reported to be one. PFT speculates the Patriots could be another, as Bill Belichick has an affinity for former Rutgers players. Britt is going to have to settle for a one-year deal worth about the league minimum.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

The Patriots seem like the perfect spot for Britt. He'd be the low risk FA signing that Bellichick loves. We also know Bellichick has no problem taking on guys who've had personal issues. The fact that Britt went to Rutgers is just icing on the cake.

Please don't sign with the Rams, Kenny. I didn't use those roster spots on you for three years so you can cash in your get out of Tennessee card by going to catch passes from the worst downfield QB in the NFL. What a terrible fit if that happens.

Please don't sign with the Rams, Kenny. I didn't use those roster spots on you for three years so you can cash in your get out of Tennessee card by going to catch passes from the worst downfield QB in the NFL. What a terrible fit if that happens.
Agree 100%. Panthers or Patriots please!

The Patriots seem like the perfect spot for Britt. He'd be the low risk FA signing that Bellichick loves. We also know Bellichick has no problem taking on guys who've had personal issues. The fact that Britt went to Rutgers is just icing on the cake.
If he signs with the Pats we will all know that his physical problems are behind him. Then we will know early in the season whether he is worth hanging onto or not because he will either explode in NE or he will disappear if he doesn't have the right attitude. Either way we will have clarity and I think if NE signs him the odds are that he explodes.

When I look at the Patriot's Wr corps, I don't see anyone who comes close to Britt's talent level. Amendola cannot stay healthy. Edelman is nothing special. And behind them there are a bunch of unproven, average young players. Wouldn't Britt step in and become the #1 WR?

When I look at the Patriot's Wr corps, I don't see anyone who comes close to Britt's talent level. Amendola cannot stay healthy. Edelman is nothing special. And behind them there are a bunch of unproven, average young players. Wouldn't Britt step in and become the #1 WR?
He couldn't even get on the field with Nate Washington starting in Tenn, and a rookie (Justin Hunter) ahead of him for the 3rd spot.

Bad knees, bad attitude. Does not seem to me like a good fit for that team.

I bet Brady does too.

He couldn't even get on the field with Nate Washington starting in Tenn, and a rookie (Justin Hunter) ahead of him for the 3rd spot.

The knees might be the bigger worry. There is no way the Pats are satisfied with the offensive production from last year. They've brought older vets like Chad Johnson and Galloway in for flyers before, but then they've also waltzed in Moss. I hear what you're saying, but if his health should happen to be ok (big if) I bet that attitude gets straightened out if he starts to see his career slipping away. The window for Brady's own career is narrowing in fact.

With as little interest as Britt as received this off season I am sure this contract will be friendly and if he sucks or has a bad attitude in camp or the preseason he will be easy to cut. That is why I hope they sign him because he had the talent to be a true number 1, maybe he can find it again and if not he will be an easy cut.

The Pats just resigned Edleman and signed LaFell. Not sure if this means that they are not going to sign Britt, but it sort of looks that way.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24485631/patriots-wr-julian-edelman-agree-to-terms
That was yesterday. Britts visit is today.
Still. Seems like a lot of bodies. Hard for me to think they are serious. CAR or STL or WA all have much bigger WR needs. I am guessing he ends up one of those places despite our preference to see Brady throwing to him.

The Pats just resigned Edleman and signed LaFell. Not sure if this means that they are not going to sign Britt, but it sort of looks that way.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24485631/patriots-wr-julian-edelman-agree-to-terms
Still. Seems like a lot of bodies. Hard for me to think they are serious. CAR or STL or WA all have much bigger WR needs. I am guessing he ends up one of those places despite our preference to see Brady throwing to him.
I think he fits best in Carolina.

Reckon the best place to get his head right would be the Pats, I'd be delighted if he signs with us. Don't have him in as many leagues as I'd like but I'm still a believer

As a Britt owner I think I'd prefer CAR but he could be the best WR for NEP too which isn't a horrible destination either.

Carolina is taking a wait and see approach for WR...it has worked so well for them in the past.
Seems like it's going to wind up meaning Jericho Cotchery as Cam's #1 target at wideout. So, they've got that going for them.

Carolina is taking a wait and see approach for WR...it has worked so well for them in the past.
Seems like it's going to wind up meaning Jericho Cotchery as Cam's #1 target at wideout. So, they've got that going for them.
It's March. They will probably draft multiple wideouts, and hopefully (for them) they will find a legit #1 they can pair with Newton for the next decade.

It's March. They will probably draft multiple wideouts, and hopefully (for them) they will find a legit #1 they can pair with Newton for the next decade.
They are coming off a year drafting two DT's with their first 2 picks last year. And that worked out. They might do the same this year.

Rotoworld:

Updating a previous item, free agent Kenny Britt is scheduled to visit the Patriots on Monday and Redskins on Tuesday.
Britt visited the Rams on Friday. The Patriots have maintained interest in the 25-year-old underachiever despite keeping Julian Edelman and signing Brandon LaFell away from Carolina. The Redskins expressed early interest in Britt. He could compete with Andre Roberts for a starting job in Washington.

Related: Patriots, Redskins

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

I bet Brady does too.

The knees might be the bigger worry. There is no way the Pats are satisfied with the offensive production from last year. They've brought older vets like Chad Johnson and Galloway in for flyers before, but then they've also waltzed in Moss. I hear what you're saying, but if his health should happen to be ok (big if) I bet that attitude gets straightened out if he starts to see his career slipping away. The window for Brady's own career is narrowing in fact.
You mean he hasn't already started to see it slipping away?

What exactly is BB going to tell him that he hasn't already heard?

Not surprised the Pats would kick the tires...on any player. The ability of the Pats to pull off a seeming reclamation project seems to my mind to be more about scheme adaptation than rehabilitation. If NE can't keep Hernandez from being a thug, what makes us think they can turn Britt around?

Who is the strong veteran presence, player or coaching staff, to get in Britt's head and turn him around?

Cam gonna teach him the Superman?

I bet Brady does too.

Not surprised the Pats would kick the tires...on any player. The ability of the Pats to pull off a seeming reclamation project seems to my mind to be more about scheme adaptation than rehabilitation. If NE can't keep Hernandez from being a thug, what makes us think they can turn Britt around?
I have said this before, but he mailed it in during a contract year.

That's all you need to know about Britt.

I bet Brady does too.

I don't know how real that 'Patriot Way' thing is actually.

It goes back to Moss: repeated foot injury in OAK, hardly played, supposedly surly, disinterested and undisciplined, he rediscovered his skills and teamed up with Brady for big numbers. In the right place, with the right QB, right system, he suddenly wanted it, and became a relatively good citizen and pro (for a while anyway).

I really don't know if or how much Britt's work ethic has played in his failure to get into the TEN primary rotation the last year. Those are actually pretty good WRs I'd say but the offensive systems they've had there have seemed just really mediocre, like they really didn't give anyone big chances to succeed. Some players respond to being in the right situation, and some players get complacent, disappointed, etc. in the wrong ones.

I bet Brady does too.

I have said this before, but he mailed it in during a contract year.

That's all you need to know about Britt.
I don't think that's what happened. Numerous reports said looked great for most of the offseason last year. Then in early August he tweaked his knee. I never read a good report about him after that. IMO the off field immaturity stuff is behind him. However, I think his knees are shot.

:goodposting:

I'm pretty heavily invested in Britt across multiple leagues, and would love to believe that all he needs is a kick in the pants. But realistically, he hasn't looked like the 2010 / 2011 version of himself since the multiple knee surgeries.

I remember being concerned about the report he wasn't working hard rehabbing after his ACL. Turns out I wasn't concerned enough.

JamesTheScot said:
Touchdown There said:
Who is the strong veteran presence, player or coaching staff, to get in Britt's head and turn him around?Cam gonna teach him the Superman?
Turn what around? Lets see what happens when coaches stop jacking with him, put him as the #1, and actually call some plays for him. I am betting his head will be just fine in that scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember being concerned about the report he wasn't working hard rehabbing after his ACL. Turns out I wasn't concerned enough.
I think this is my greatest concern. We know he has the physical talent and the skill. I do think we have gotten used to seeing players rehab and come back in less than a year, but sometimes it takes longer to fully rehab a knee. There is reasonable hope that his knee will be stronger this fall.

Last edited by a moderator:
JamesTheScot said:
Touchdown There said:
Who is the strong veteran presence, player or coaching staff, to get in Britt's head and turn him around?Cam gonna teach him the Superman?
Turn what around? Lets see what happens when coaches stop jacking with him, put him as the #1, and actually call some plays for him.I am betting his head will be just fine in that scenario.
Yeah. It would be cool if the coaches stop arresting him and stabbing his friends. I really can't believe they'd want to do that to one of their players. It's just dumb.

JamesTheScot said:
Touchdown There said:
Turn what around? Lets see what happens when coaches stop jacking with him, put him as the #1, and actually call some plays for him.I am betting his head will be just fine in that scenario.
Yeah. It would be cool if the coaches stop arresting him and stabbing his friends. I really can't believe they'd want to do that to one of their players. It's just dumb.
Some other dude was arrested for the stabbing. It is not illegal to decline talking to the police.What do arrests have to do with targets? If he did something wrong he would be suspended. If he is healthy and not suspended, throw him the football. It was a political coaching decision to bench him.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Panthers and Seahawks are also interested in free agent Kenny Britt.
Britt is one of the top receivers left on the free-agent market, and, if healthy, he's easily the most talented of the bunch. Britt has visited the Rams and Patriots but left each team without a contract and is now on his way to talk to the Redskins. If Britt wants to be a No. 1, going to Carolina could significantly rehab his value.

Related: Panthers, Seahawks

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

From PFT:

Britt emerges as an option for the PanthersPosted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2014, 8:16 PM EDT
britt1.jpg
APThe early years of free-agent receiver Kenny Britt’s career were plagued by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Suddenly, he’s in the right place at the right time.

With the Panthers losing their top three wide receivers from 2013 and other viable options (Hakeem Nicks, James Jones) landing elsewhere, Carolina suddenly has interest in the eventually-to-be-former Titan. And Britt has leverage.

A source familiar with Britt’s plan explains to PFT that he could be making other visits after completing his trip to Washington (currently, he’s en route), which follows visits to the Rams and Patriots. One of those visits could be to Carolina.

The safest course of action would be to sign with the Rams, where he’d be reunited with former Titans coach Jeff Fisher. But Britt, who has stayed out of trouble since July 2012, has opted to expand the net in search of other possibilities.

While Britt won’t be rushing to make a decision, there’s a chance he’ll select his next team within the week. If it’s not the Panthers, Carolina will have cause to be even more concerned. The buyer’s market at receiver has seen a lot of buying, with a shrinking supply remaining.

Options include Jerricho Cotchery, Santonio Holmes (who may not be healthy enough to pass a physical), Miles Auston, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Mario Manningham, Robert Meachem, and Josh Morgan.

Rotoworld:

Free agent Kenny Britt left his Redskins visit without a contract.
Britt has now left New England, St. Louis and Washington without a contract. NFL.com's Albert Breer reports Britt is being "deliberate (by design)," but the fact is, if the money had been right anywhere, Britt would have already signed. It's unclear if Britt has any more visits lined up, but the Seahawks are reportedly interested.

Related: Redskins

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

He can't actually believe that he's going to get much more than the vet minimum, can he? If nothing else, his agent has to be realistic, right?

He can't actually believe that he's going to get much more than the vet minimum, can he? If nothing else, his agent has to be realistic, right?
I was just about to post the same thing. I am starting to wonder if he thinks he is going to get a Nicks type of deal or even James Jones or Brandon Lafell. I am sure all teams are offering him deals that have no guaranteed money so they can cut him before the season if he turns into a problem.

Or he has found his ### with two hands and knows this is last chance. They actually may be seeing who offers the best chance at reviving his career. Not likely but possible.

I was just about to post the same thing. I am starting to wonder if he thinks he is going to get a Nicks type of deal or even James Jones or Brandon Lafell. I am sure all teams are offering him deals that have no guaranteed money so they can cut him before the season if he turns into a problem.
That's the only way I'd be interested. 1 year deal with little to no bonus, and a second year option. He needs to be easy to cut.

Users who are viewing this thread