What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Jimmy Graham, CHI (4 Viewers)

so 1 good game, one game he basically wasnt involved. i wonder if the only consistent thing this year for graham is we won;t know what to expect from him each week?

mbuehner said:
Its not just the Graham issue, this is an offense that looks like its having an identity crisis.
And ironically the Saints look to be in the same boat. It's as if both teams tried to change their stripes but should have stuck with what they do best. Hard not watching Seattle and thinking they could use some OL help and hard not watching the Saints and thinking they need a play maker or at least one with size as a receiving option.

I know what I'm about to write next is going to sound crazy but I said it back when Seattle traded for Graham and I'll say it again. If they do not figure out how to use him and make him an essential part of what they do I absolutely believe he will get traded again. Seattle is as aggressive a trading NFL team as I can ever recall and they have to pay a lot of players. Graham is eating up about $10 million a season and has zero bonus money or guarantees in that contract that Seattle is responsible for so moving would create no cap hit, just a bunch of savings in addition to what he brought back. Bottom line is a team that was successful without him I think is going to have a hard time justifying both internally and to a locker full of players wanting to get paid that a lightly used Jimmy Graham is worth $10 million a year.

It's clear as day that the Seahawks OC isn't very good. He had no clue how to use Percy Harvin, and he seems to have no clue how to use Jimmy Graham. The greatness of Lynch and Wilson is the main reason their offense has success. Just imagine if they had a good play caller.

It's clear as day that the Seahawks OC isn't very good. He had no clue how to use Percy Harvin, and he seems to have no clue how to use Jimmy Graham. The greatness of Lynch and Wilson is the main reason their offense has success. Just imagine if they had a good play caller.
It's a horrible match. A stud TE playing on an offense with a playground QB and an offense that wants him to be the highest paid blocking TE in the league.

In dynasty we have to wait for them to ask him to take a pay cut and he of course says no so he can get the hell outta there.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a horrible match. A stud TE playing on an offense with a playground QB and an offense that wants him to be the highest paid blocking TE in the league.

In dynasty we have to wait for them to ask him to take a pay cut and he of course says no so he can get the hell outta there.
I wonder how much of the Graham acquisition was a reaction their last play of the Superbowl. If you look at the numbers, Lynch has actually not been that great on the goalline. I suspect teams are just selling out to stop him, and in the limited space Wilson isn't at his best either. So they figure they bring in Graham just to post up and let Wilson toss him those automatic looking TDs Brees did so often.

It's incredible to me how Wilson gets zero blame for everything. Harvin and Graham suck, oc's fault, last second int, head coaches fault.

In the snf thread, when he finally plays well, 3 or 4 posters act like the guy is the second coming. He's the most teflon qb i've ever seen.

It's incredible to me how Wilson gets zero blame for everything. Harvin and Graham suck, oc's fault, last second int, head coaches fault.

In the snf thread, when he finally plays well, 3 or 4 posters act like the guy is the second coming. He's the most teflon qb i've ever seen.
Golden Tate looks a lot better in Detroit than he did in Seattle as well. Wilson is obviously a gifted QB, but you probably don't want your WR or TE to land there.

I bought in big time to the Jimmy Graham hype, so this is helping to kill my season....on the plus side though, I do hate the Seahawks, so this is incredibly funny to watch. We might have to merge this with the good ol' 'wheels coming off the bus' thread.....

They are not used to playing from behind so much and not being able to get away with only having a running game. Both of these are new developments.

Once the realization settles that times have changed, they will start scheming much more effectively for Graham.

It's incredible to me how Wilson gets zero blame for everything. Harvin and Graham suck, oc's fault, last second int, head coaches fault. In the snf thread, when he finally plays well, 3 or 4 posters act like the guy is the second coming. He's the most teflon qb i've ever seen.
He's been very insulated with the run game and D.....without the talent around him he's a middle of the road NFL starter

Rotoworld:

Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman reports Jimmy Graham is "pissed off" and "hates" his role with the Seahawks.
According to Freeman, "several" Seahawks players have informed him of this and it's a "fact." Graham allegedly "hates what's happening in Seattle" where he's "barely looked at in the passing game." Through two games, Graham has just 10 targets, which is 15th among tight ends. We could see the target dip coming as soon as it was announced he was traded to the Seahawks, but not in this fashion. Russell Wilson has attempted more than 30 passes in each of the first two games, yet Graham doesn't have much to show for it. It's not like he's being asked to block more; per PFF, Graham has blocked on 31.7 percent of his snaps. He blocked on 30.5 percent of his snaps in New Orleans last season. Expect the Seahawks to try to feed him more this week against the Bears.

Source: Bleacher Report
Sep 22 - 8:15 PM

So in review, the Seahawks traded away a top 5 Center and a 1st round pick for Jimmy Graham whom they are not using in the passing game. Isn't the offensive line the weakest link on that team?

So in review, the Seahawks traded away a top 5 Center and a 1st round pick for Jimmy Graham whom they are not using in the passing game. Isn't the offensive line the weakest link on that team?
UNGER wasn't a top 5 center anymore. He only played 6 games last year and they didn't lose a game when he wasn't playing. There was talk they would have cut him this year as he was overpaid.

If a team can't make a Wilson, Lynch, Graham trio work I think the blame goes to the OC.

It really is amazing how bad he is.

UNGER wasn't a top 5 center anymore. He only played 6 games last year and they didn't lose a game when he wasn't playing. There was talk they would have cut him this year as he was overpaid.
Sorry your OC sucks, don't respond. TIA

If a team can't make a Wilson, Lynch, Graham trio work I think the blame goes to the OC.
:goodposting:

SaintsInDome2006 said:
The feelings mutual, Big Easy misses Jimmy, the Saints need him.
Sometimes a player just fits somewhere, and I'm wondering if Jimmy would trade that extra money to be back on the Saints now. What's the real-life difference between a few extra million$ versus being happy on the team.

I'm also wondering if DeMarco Murray feels the same way now. Should have stayed.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Sometimes a player just fits somewhere, and I'm wondering if Jimmy would trade that extra money to be back on the Saints now. What's the real-life difference between a few extra million$ versus being happy on the team.

I'm also wondering if DeMarco Murray feels the same way now. Should have stayed.
Didn't DeMarco make the decision to leave in free agency, but Jimmy was traded by the Saints? I remember Graham being shocked he was traded to the Seahawks. He didn't leave New Orleans for extra money. Sean Payton traded him and a 4th-round pick for Unger.

Yeah and considering that BJ Raji was simply shoving the new center back into Wilson, it's looking like a terrible move. It's bad enough to have a talent like Jimmy and not use him, but even worse when you really heart the heart and soul of your offense to do it.

Seahawks will be lucky to make the playoffs this season. Arizona is going to rule that division.

A date with a lousy Bear's team should get this team in the win column. Expecting a decent number from JG this week. But then again this is the NFL...

so 1 good game, one game he basically wasnt involved. i wonder if the only consistent thing this year for graham is we won;t know what to expect from him each week?
Did I miss a good game? You mean a mediocre bad game where a TD bailed him out. To clarify Graham was going 12 picks behind Gronkowski and was TE2 off the board so I expect alot high production.

A date with a lousy Bear's team should get this team in the win column. Expecting a decent number from JG this week. But then again this is the NFL...
I am unsure what has given hope to you that JG should have decent numbers even? What are you thinking 3 for 25 / 4 for 32? Now I am sure Graham will have a couple big games but if I were an owner I would hope he does it this week so I can trade him and move on.

SaintsInDome2006 said:

Didn't DeMarco make the decision to leave in free agency, but Jimmy was traded by the Saints? I remember Graham being shocked he was traded to the Seahawks. He didn't leave New Orleans for extra money. Sean Payton traded him and a 4th-round pick for Unger.
True, I forgot he was traded. My bad. That sucks even more though.

Graham had a down week. Week 1 he scored 17 fantasy points.

Let's all chill the #### out a little bit. He's still getting more use than Greg Olsen. Who was supposed to skyrocket this season due to the Kelvin Benjamin injury.

Let's all chill the #### out a little bit. He's still getting more use than Greg Olsen. Who was supposed to skyrocket this season due to the Kelvin Benjamin injury.
Greg Olsen had 14 targets last game. Teams are making him a priority to cover, but the Panthers made it a point to try to get him the ball last week.

Did I miss a good game? You mean a mediocre bad game where a TD bailed him out. To clarify Graham was going 12 picks behind Gronkowski and was TE2 off the board so I expect alot high production.

I am unsure what has given hope to you that JG should have decent numbers even? What are you thinking 3 for 25 / 4 for 32? Now I am sure Graham will have a couple big games but if I were an owner I would hope he does it this week so I can trade him and move on.
Well as a Bear's fan I can assure you that this defense is absolutely horrid and the offense is a mess with several key injuries. The Bears will roll out Clausen and that is a feast in the making for the Seattle D. The Bears are easily a top 3 bottom feeder in the NFL.

Also, home opener after two tough road losses.

Another clue here is the volume of complaining coming out that JG does not like his role and the HC mentioning that the game plan for JG just did not work out. This usually translates into a coming out party for the week. I think he will do well in home games with some luke warm success on the road.

I have a hard time thinking that this team is just going to wallow in mediocrity. They will be in a dog fight with Arizona but they are all about getting the home crowd cooking. Still one of the hardest teams to beat at home.

I see JG getting 6-8 targets this week good for 55 and a TD.

Greg Olsen had 14 targets last game. Teams are making him a priority to cover, but the Panthers made it a point to try to get him the ball last week.
That's great. But I don't get points for targets and I expect the Seahawks to give Graham a similar treatment this week. Minimum 8 targets.

Can't prove it, but there's a lot of smoke about Graham forcing his way off of the Saints (whether he intended it or not). Rumored locker-room issue after the WR-tag battle against the team.

Graham will see 8-12 targets this week.
I tend to agree. After week one we heard a lot of griping and talking regarding Lions lack of usage with Calvin and he came out week two with 17 targets. The talk regarding Grahams lack of usage is turned up several decibels from the Calvin talk so I absolutely think he has a heavily targetted and likely big game this weekend.

I traded Graham last night in a TE premimum dynasty league but my advice would run to counter to that if you own him. Enjoy his big game this weekend, then try and move him and frame week 2 as the aberattion. Which it might be and I'm willing to bet it is his worst fantasy game of the season. But I also think the days of basically being able to play a consistent fantasy WR1 at your TE spot is gone. Now he's just simply going to be a good fantasy TE and likely not a consistent one.

SaintsInDome2006 said:

Considering millions of people drag their butts to works every day for far less, I'd say it matters a lot.

I don't expect it to happen but if the Seahawks somehow lose this weekend then I'd say the implosion is all but arrived. Sometimes you add a little too much to the soup and you lose what made it great.

As someone mentioned, seeing the Packers man handle the o-line this Sunday is probably one of the biggest "uh oh" moments Seahawks fans need to be paying attention to.

Can't prove it, but there's a lot of smoke about Graham forcing his way off of the Saints (whether he intended it or not). Rumored locker-room issue after the WR-tag battle against the team.
He might have erronously thought he could act a certain way and get away with it and from things I picked up might not have conform to a total team mindset over self but I still don't think he wanted out and absolutely think he was shocked and never saw it coming.

I also believe the reports that he was close to being dealt to the Dolphins. Can you imagine that difference for him? He could return to Miami and play in a TE friendly scheme and wage twice annual wars with Gronk or getting sent across the country to play for a run based.

Last year he had these games too:

6 for 54

2 for 36

5 for 59 and "bailed out" by a TD

3 for 29

3 for 25

6 for 53 and "bailed out" by a TD

6 for 54

Let's take a deep breath here and not blame this entirely on the scheme. Sometimes football players have bad games. Yes, I'd like to see Graham more involved in the passing game but I don't think the one catch game is the way he's expected to be used.

SaintsInDome2006 said:

Considering millions of people drag their butts to works every day for far less, I'd say it matters a lot.

I don't expect it to happen but if the Seahawks somehow lose this weekend then I'd say the implosion is all but arrived. Sometimes you add a little too much to the soup and you lose what made it great.

As someone mentioned, seeing the Packers man handle the o-line this Sunday is probably one of the biggest "uh oh" moments Seahawks fans need to be paying attention to.
Pretty sure he would love to be in Miami right now they way they are throwing the ball. It's still a possibility down the road but not this season.

I'm starting to wonder if playground QB, Wilson is even capable of getting Jimmy the ball on a designed play. Seems they said they had plays designed but just didn't throw him the ball.

I expect Sea will do the same this week.

I expect Sea will do the same this week.
Loins did the same with Calvin, only they waited until they made sure they had already lost the game. They are so smart.

Yet another fine example of how stupid coaches are at the NFL level. It takes the media #####ing about the use of a star player to make the coaches get them the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread