What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shane Vereen (1 Viewer)

While two TDs was a nice bonus, I've been thnking 80+ yards with a few receptions should be his baseline for the rest of the year with Ridley gone. Not shocked at all by tonights line, and glad to own him in several leagues

need2know said:
Hoss Style said:
meatwad1 said:
Giddy up!!!

Starting him with confidence tomorrow. I see a floor of about 13 points.
I see a floor of 2.Belichick keeps a rug under all his players, his hand firmly gripped and ready to pull it out from under them at any moment. He even screws with the IDP side of things constantly.
I pretty much agree. But on a short week and vereen being the most trusted option I bet he has his best game of the season. Which isnt really saying much. Prob around 10 to 15 pts. Moving forward who knows but the matchup tonight doesnt hurt either.
God I could use it. I hope you're right. I tried to trade for any other RB on almost any other team. Owners won't bite, and in a 16 team league with Keepers, it's a bi**h to find a replacement RB.

Woe is us who hold players coached by Belichick.
As a Vereen owner isn't this what you've always wanted? Seems strange if you believed in him before that you'd be looking to move him.
Tried to move him well before this. Of course this is what I wanted. He did well tonight, but I'll need to see his use consistently before I feel safe.

tonight is the night Vereen owners have been waiting for
It isn't. A banged up Gronk/Edelman boosts Vereen's value. Oddly and sadly, a banged up Ridley does not.

It's akin to the dynamic that we once observed in NO where a banged up Sproles/Bush boosted Moore's value and vice versa.
Well, he gets CHI, DEN and IND over the next three weeks so it looks like NE will have to continue to air it out. It's funny but the actual ground game match-up means very little for Vereen.
Still sticking with this? :lol:

Run It Up said:
andyk803 said:
Sell high or keeper??
I think he will get a lot of competition for touches, especially with gameplans. But I'm holding.
I think the mind games BB and company try to play with the opposing defenses is the biggest risk. I am firmly convinced that they get too cute to such an extreme that they misuse the talent on the roster at times.

It isn't like he just got healthy or something. He's been capable of this all season(s) long.

It would not surprise me at all to see them use Vereen as a decoy all next week precisely because he blew up this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Run It Up said:
andyk803 said:
Sell high or keeper??
I think he will get a lot of competition for touches, especially with gameplans. But I'm holding.
I think the mind games BB and company try to play with the opposing defenses is the biggest risk. I am firmly convinced that they get too cute to such an extreme that they misuse the talent on the roster at times.

It isn't like he just got healthy or something. He's been capable of this all season(s) long.

It would not surprise me at all to see them use Vereen as a decoy all next week precisely because he blew up this week.
Exactly. :suds:

This is an exciting time for us Vereen owners, and I'm not selling unless I can pull off a fleece like this:

Workhorse said:
I sold high after last night's game on teams where I had decent RB depth: Got Megatron for him in one league.
The offense looks good, the other RBs look ordinary, and Vereen appears to be 100%. The 49 yard TD catch was blown coverage, but Vereen still made a very nice diving catch that you only expect out of an elite receiving back.

humpback said:
It isn't. A banged up Gronk/Edelman boosts Vereen's value. Oddly and sadly, a banged up Ridley does not.

It's akin to the dynamic that we once observed in NO where a banged up Sproles/Bush boosted Moore's value and vice versa.
SameSongNDance said:
Well, he gets CHI, DEN and IND over the next three weeks so it looks like NE will have to continue to air it out. It's funny but the actual ground game match-up means very little for Vereen.
Absolutely. I'm quite prepared to be burned by Vereen (again) at some point moving forward because of game state. NE only dialed up 14 rushes vs. NYJ because it was an actual game; they average 27 per game. There will be games where game flow dictates that Vereen doesn't see 8 targets in the passing game and that they run it closer to their average. That's when we'll see more of Gray. This is why I believe Vereen may be a good sell high, there may be people naive enough to believe what we witnessed last night will be the norm moving forward.

Went with Forte and Oliver. Yup.
I started Oliver over him as well and would do it again. It was the right call. It's great Vereen looked awesome, but I'm a Pats homer, and I honestly don't think much will change with his usage. He has 2-3 games like this a year and this was one of them. Gray/Bolden will be Ridley and Vereen will continue to be Vereen.

I very much feel he's a sell high. Like someone earlier said, if you can find an owner desperate at RB let him convince himself that with Ridley hurt Vereen is a monster RB1 on a great O with a bad D, I'd SELL SELL SELL. Vereen will continue to be a solid flex, no more, no less.

humpback said:

SameSongNDance said:
Absolutely. I'm quite prepared to be burned by Vereen (again) at some point moving forward because of game state. NE only dialed up 14 rushes vs. NYJ because it was an actual game; they average 27 per game. There will be games where game flow dictates that Vereen doesn't see 8 targets in the passing game and that they run it closer to their average. That's when we'll see more of Gray. This is why I believe Vereen may be a good sell high, there may be people naive enough to believe what we witnessed last night will be the norm moving forward.
And the NYJ have a very good run D and a very poor pass D and just like BB does he exploited the weakness to the max and he minimized the other team's strength. We have seen before where the Pats can feature the run game one week then the pass game another. But I do think this looks good for Vereen long term, this is basically the usage in the pass game he was getting last year and his just being in the game is a big difference. I think he's back.

humpback said:

SameSongNDance said:
I'm talking about the carries here- Vereen had a season high for carries on a night where the team had a season low (11 out of 14 total from RBs). Obviously Ridley being out had something to do with that, and I don't know why you'd expect his carries to go down when they run the ball more.

humpback said:

SameSongNDance said:
I'm talking about the carries here- Vereen had a season high for carries on a night where the team had a season low (11 out of 14 total from RBs). Obviously Ridley being out had something to do with that, and I don't know why you'd expect his carries to go down when they run the ball more.
Vereen has never exceed 14 carries in his career. Although he has looked ridiculous running the ball up the gut at times this year (he looked very good vs. CIN) I don't think BB is dumb enough to have him do it 15+ times a game even if game flow calls for such due to his injury history. I agree, the Ridley injury will boost Vereen's carries by some non-zero amount but it won't be significant enough to off set those games where he isn't targeted in the passing game like vs. MIN or BUF this year. Maybe it boosts his PPR floor by 2 points at best but when NE goes run heavy and Vereen doesn't get his receptions it will hurt you regardless.

humpback said:

SameSongNDance said:
Vereen has never exceed 14 carries in his career. Although he has looked ridiculous running the ball up the gut at times this year (he looked very good vs. CIN) I don't think BB is dumb enough to have him do it 15+ times a game even if game flow calls for such due to his injury history. I agree, the Ridley injury will boost Vereen's carries by some non-zero amount but it won't be significant enough to off set those games where he isn't targeted in the passing game like vs. MIN or BUF this year. Maybe it boosts his PPR floor by 2 points at best but when NE goes run heavy and Vereen doesn't get his receptions it will hurt you regardless.
going forward, this year, Vereen will be running on relatively fresh legs...opposing Ds, not so much. Maybe BB stretches his usage out a bit...

humpback said:

SameSongNDance said:
going forward, this year, Ridkey will be running on relatively fresh legs...opposing Ds, not so much. Maybe BB stretches his usage out a bit...
Do what now? Ridley is done for the year

humpback said:

SameSongNDance said:
Let's backtrack here- you said Ridley being out wouldn't boost Vereen's value. If you're now saying it does, then we agree.

So you agree that the "boost" is insignificant? Regardless, I stand by my assessment. If I was an ####### and hoping for a NE injury to boost Vereen's value, that injury would need to be to Edelman/Gronk and not Ridley.

He is one Ridley fumble away from 80-90% of the touches. So, when valuing Vareen, I think you have to ask: Do you think Ridley is done fumbling the football?

No, me neither.
Vereen has never been used as a heavy volume back in terms of carrying the football. I don't see him getting a ton of carries if Ridley fumbled away the job or got hurt. They would go with Bolden or White over Vereen as a workhorse, between the tackles back.
I know its only 1 game, and I guess I should have said "He is one Ridley ACL/MCL tear away from 80-90% of the touches ... but, 11/14 carries and 8/20 (completions) as the leading receiver is pretty close :)

So you agree that the "boost" is insignificant? Regardless, I stand by my assessment. If I was an ####### and hoping for a NE injury to boost Vereen's value, that injury would need to be to Edelman/Gronk and not Ridley.
No, I don't. Even if we went by your numbers, you think a 2 pt. boost to his floor is insignificant?

That wasn't your assessment. Your assessment was that this wasn't the night that Vereen owners have been waiting for, and that a banged up Ridley does not boost his value. I guess it's just a weird coincidence that he got the most carries, touches, and fantasy points in a game in the one game without him, where they only held the ball for 20 minutes?

No, I don't. Even if we went by your numbers, you think a 2 pt. boost to his floor is insignificant?

That wasn't your assessment. Your assessment was that this wasn't the night that Vereen owners have been waiting for, and that a banged up Ridley does not boost his value. I guess it's just a weird coincidence that he got the most carries, touches, and fantasy points in a game in the one game without him, where they only held the ball for 20 minutes?
Yeah I think marginal boost in his floor is insignificant when his floor is essentially 0 if he's not involved in the game plan. I also don't think it's was a coincidence, no. NE was playing on a short week where they needed to sign up someone from thire PS squad as the only other compliment. I'll gladly concede that I'm wrong if BB starts using Vereen on a consistent basis regardless of game state.

i think its pretty clear vereen is the main back and ssnd (and myself) were way off on this one. the frustrating thing is that he should have been used like this all yr.

i think its pretty clear vereen is the main back and ssnd (and myself) were way off on this one. the frustrating thing is that he should have been used like this all yr.
Vereen can produce when used the problem is he isn't as capable of grinding out the clock or first downs on the ground as Ridley.

You end up with games like last night, which looked a hell of a lot like a lot of the games from last year. Low time of possession, less offensive snaps for everyone, defense gets tired, no takeaways (after leading the league, and against the ####### jets of all teams).

NE was playing on a short week where they needed to sign up someone from thire PS squad as the only other compliment.
not true

James White was available and scratched. They didn't need to promote Gray. They had an experienced guy in Bolden and a guy they trusted in previous games in White.

Vereen can produce when used the problem is he isn't as capable of grinding out the clock or first downs on the ground as Ridley.

You end up with games like last night, which looked a hell of a lot like a lot of the games from last year. Low time of possession, less offensive snaps for everyone, defense gets tired, no takeaways (after leading the league, and against the ####### jets of all teams).
it seems he had higher ypc and a higher percentage of positive runs than Ridley was getting. Jets were able to control ToP from the outset of this one....

BB's main thing is to be as being as non-predictable as possible. He sneers at us FF players, he's too busy trying to play games with the opposing DC week to week.

Wat?

This. No one should assume that he's going to get almost all of the RB touches every week or anything, but it's clear as day that no Ridley was a big plus for Vereen. Some guys just have a hard time admitting they're wrong- it's really no big deal.

vereen had nothing to do with the time of possession difference last night.

Yeah I think marginal boost in his floor is insignificant when his floor is essentially 0 if he's not involved in the game plan. I also don't think it's was a coincidence, no. NE was playing on a short week where they needed to sign up someone from thire PS squad as the only other compliment. I'll gladly concede that I'm wrong if BB starts using Vereen on a consistent basis regardless of game state.
wtf are you talking about?

they signed a rb off the ps because ridley got ir'd.

This. No one should assume that he's going to get almost all of the RB touches every week or anything, but it's clear as day that no Ridley was a big plus for Vereen. Some guys just have a hard time admitting they're wrong- it's really no big deal.
This is like valuing Ridley as a RB1 after the two weeks he had 20+ carries, 100+ yards and a TD. You'd simply have to have not been paying attention to this backfield if you think for sure that what we saw last night is going the norm going forward. I'd rather be wrong since I actually own Vereen but my gut tells me that if/when NE actually has to grind out yards Vereen won't be as much of a factor, per usual.

wtf are you talking about?

they signed a rb off the ps because ridley got ir'd.
Replace "where" with "and". NE needs Bolden for special teams and White isn't a grinder like Ridley, he'd do a better Vereen than Ridley impersonation. Gray was called up on a short week as the compliment so I'm not surprised he didn't get a ton of work, well that and the fact the NE was actually forced to pass a majority of the game and run 50% less than their average. I believe you hyped Vereen hard through-out this thread but you of all people should know that RB usage in this backfield is game specific and BB fully embraces the "next man up" philosophy.

Replace "where" with "and". NE needs Bolden for special teams and White isn't a grinder like Ridley, he'd do a better Vereen than Ridley impersonation. Gray was called up on a short week as the compliment so I'm not surprised he didn't get a ton of work, well that and the fact the NE was actually forced to pass a majority of the game and run 50% less than their average. I believe you hyped Vereen hard through-out this thread but you of all people should know that RB usage in this backfield is game specific and BB fully embraces the "next man up" philosophy.
that's 100% true, but what do you mean by 'forced'?

I think it's an interesting question going fwd.

that's 100% true, but what do you mean by 'forced'?

I think it's an interesting question going fwd.
Maybe forced isn't quite the right word but the pass to run ratio was clearly heavily skewed towards pass (2.6:1 when it's been 1.3:1 on average). There were 4 lead changes and NE was constantly forced into positions where they needed to move the chains and or score points, never once having a comfortable lead. In fact, history suggests NE should have lost this game as I believe NYJ is the first team to have 40+ minutes of possession and 200+ rushing yards and lose. Anyway, I believe I have the right to be skeptical about Vereen truly ascending from RB3/flex status in PPR until I see some consistency in usage.

This is like valuing Ridley as a RB1 after the two weeks he had 20+ carries, 100+ yards and a TD. You'd simply have to have not been paying attention to this backfield if you think for sure that what we saw last night is going the norm going forward. I'd rather be wrong since I actually own Vereen but my gut tells me that if/when NE actually has to grind out yards Vereen won't be as much of a factor, per usual.
What on earth are you talking about? I didn't say that Vereen is a RB1 or that it's for sure what we saw last night is going to be the norm going forward. In fact, I specifically said that no one should assume that he's going to get almost all of the RB touches every week.

You said Vereen's value would not increase because Ridley was out. You were wrong. Admit it and move on.

vereen had nothing to do with the time of possession difference last night.
If you accept that he can't play the Ridley role, of course he does.

I was never a Ridley fan, I saw him as more of a liability. But the kid was pretty good in between the tackles, something that Vereen can do, just not as reliably.

Ridley slowed the game down for the Pats, not that playing fast is a bad thing, its just when you aren't as efficient as the '11 Pats it becomes a problem as we saw last night. Just a couple 3 and outs, leaving the Jets in a catchable range all night - enabling them to keep running it down our throats, and keeping the Defense on the field to get even more tired. It just compounds.

What on earth are you talking about? I didn't say that Vereen is a RB1 or that it's for sure what we saw last night is going to be the norm going forward. In fact, I specifically said that no one should assume that he's going to get almost all of the RB touches every week.

You said Vereen's value would not increase because Ridley was out. You were wrong. Admit it and move on.
And my point is that Vereen could have had that same game even if Ridley were healthy because of game flow. It's not that hard of a concept to grasp.

And my point is that Vereen could have had that same game even if Ridley were healthy because of game flow. It's not that hard of a concept to grasp.
:lmao:

Yeah, besides the fact that he didn't come close in 6 games with Ridley to the 1 game he had without him. Again, the most carries, touches, and fantasy points (by far) this season in the only game Ridley hasn't played, and it's a game that they only had the ball for 20 minutes. You said that it wasn't a coincidence, yet now you're arguing that it was.

Apparently reality is a hard concept to grasp (for you).

humpback said:
SameSongNDance said:
humpback said:
SameSongNDance said:
humpback said:

Yeah, besides the fact that he didn't come close in 6 games with Ridley to the 1 game he had without him. Again, the most carries, touches, and fantasy points (by far) this season in the only game Ridley hasn't played, and it's a game that they only had the ball for 20 minutes. You said that it wasn't a coincidence, yet now you're arguing that it was.

You're overreacting to a single data point being produced by a BB coached backfield. I have a feeling NE homers will agree that Vereen's role will remain largely unchanged and box score analysts will deem he gets a huge boost with Ridley sidelined. Time will tell I'm sure.

humpback said:
SameSongNDance said:
humpback said:
SameSongNDance said:
humpback said:

You're overreacting to a single data point being produced by a BB coached backfield. I have a feeling NE homers will agree that Vereen's role will remain largely unchanged and box score analysts will deem he gets a huge boost with Ridley sidelined. Time will tell I'm sure.

When the only data point you have is 10 points higher than his next best in any of his other 6 data points, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that there's probably some causation there.

humpback said:
SameSongNDance said:
humpback said:
SameSongNDance said:
humpback said:

When the only data point you have is 10 points higher than his next best in any of his other 6 data points, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that there's probably some causation there.
Yeah..that's not how statistics works.

humpback said:
SameSongNDance said:
humpback said:

He's wrong more often than not. Based on this thread, would imagine has been added to many people's Ignore list.

Tried to trade him all week and no takers. I sat him and went with Murray and Miller. He will be a nice choice from here out or bring a higher price so I'll take that.
Made the move today and traded Vereen, Bolden and a 4th rd. pick for Randall Cobb and the 20 bucks I spent on Bolden this week on waivers. Very happy considering I needed WR help to go with Hilton and have good depth at RB.

humpback said:
SameSongNDance said:
humpback said:

He's wrong more often than not. Based on this thread, would imagine has been added to many people's Ignore list.
I've never put someone on ignore, but I will manually do so now. Yikes.

It seems as if there is too much arguing around here. I will be happy to settle it for you. Vereen is now a solid rb#2. Chance to move to a rb #1. Injury is the only thing that derails him now.

If his usage from this week continues for the rest of the season this guy is gonna be PPR gold. Saw him get traded straight up for Alshon Jeffery in one PPR redraft today so his value is definitely skyrocketing again.

New England Patriots: Of Shane Vereen’s 53 carries, 24 have been for 5 yards or more. That is a rate of 45.3% which is the best for running backs with at least 30 carries.
~ PFF

Users who are viewing this thread